Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who's your MVP entering Sunday week 12
P Manning 28 50.00%
A Rodgers 4 7.14%
T Brady 12 21.43%
R Griffin 1 1.79%
D Brees 3 5.36%
M Ryan 2 3.57%
A Peterson 4 7.14%
A Foster 0 0%
M Lynch 1 1.79%
Other: Who? 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The player with the best stats and the most valuable can/and ofter are two different players.

Think about it like this, the most valuable(impactful) player in terms of impact on a team could very well be a bad player. Let me explain... If Adrian Peterson goes off for 200 yards and 2 td's but Ponder throws five ints his QB play has a much greater impact whether or not the Vikings win, this is pure logic and how the NFL is, people are willing to mortgage the future for a franchise qb, but HB's come and go.

Calvin Johnson might get 5 passes for 150 yards... but out of the other 40+ passes that Stafford throws if three are intercepted or he has multiple incompletions on 3rd down that kill drives, that has a greater impact on the team.

I dont see a logical reason for thinking a player that puts up tons of stats on a subpar/mediocre team and at a less focal position should get consideration over a player(QB) on an above average/elite team for MVP.

Now with that being said, I think that a player(any position) that puts up a great year(stats wise) should no matter team outcome be up for consideration for best offensive player or defensive
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Without AD the vikes win like three games max. Seems pretty valuable to me.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Without AD the vikes win like three games max. Seems pretty valuable to me.
For sure, but if the vikes miss the playoffs how much value has Peterson really added? I don't mean to belittle what he has done on either an individual level or for the team, however surely the first goal has to be to get to the playoffs so you can at least have a chance at the superbowl which is the achievement for each team to aspire to?

And on that note, if you swap out Ponder and Peterson for Brady and Ridley, Manning and McGahee or Rodgers and Benson, would the vikes be in a better position to win? That is how I see value. Peterson has a season for the ages and the Vikings are on the fringes of the playoffs, Rodgers is having an average year (by his standards), and the Packers roster isn't exactly much stronger than the Vikings (IMO), yet the Packers are comfortably in the playoffs.

In a passing league QB is king

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't do it like that. I do it like WAR.

Vikings - Peterson + AVG RB = LOLERSKATES

Patriots - Brady + AVG NFL QB = Respectable

Broncos - Manning + AVG NFL QB = Respectable

This is obviously subjective because it's me projecting.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
For sure, but if the vikes miss the playoffs how much value has Peterson really added? I don't mean to belittle what he has done on either an individual level or for the team, however surely the first goal has to be to get to the playoffs so you can at least have a chance at the superbowl which is the achievement for each team to aspire to?

And on that note, if you swap out Ponder and Peterson for Brady and Ridley, Manning and McGahee or Rodgers and Benson, would the vikes be in a better position to win? That is how I see value. Peterson has a season for the ages and the Vikings are on the fringes of the playoffs, Rodgers is having an average year (by his standards), and the Packers roster isn't exactly much stronger than the Vikings (IMO), yet the Packers are comfortably in the playoffs.

Rodgers also has about seven receivers that could be our #1 receiver.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post

Rodgers, Manning, and Brady having good seasons is not more valuable than AD having one of best seasons ever and putting a bad team into contention vs nine in the box every play. If this is your logic it might as well be called quarterback of the year. The best player who is having the best season bringing a team to a level they have no business being in the obviously the MVP.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Manning, Brady, Peterson, and Watt (even though he has no chance) all have a decent argument. With that said, I agree with what gpngc is suggesting. If you replace either Manning or Brady with a Flacco/Cutler/Schaub-type, their teams still probably make the playoffs. If you replaced Peterson with someone like Matt Forte or Steven Jackson, the Vikings are probably going to have a top three pick in this year's draft.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Rodgers, Manning, and Brady having good seasons is not more valuable than AD having one of best seasons ever and putting a bad team into contention vs nine in the box every play. If this is your logic it might as well be called quarterback of the year. The best player who is having the best season bringing a team to a level they have no business being in the obviously the MVP.
Well this is why there is an issue with what equates to value. Best IMO does not equal most valuable. Rodgers on any random team gives them a better chance to win a superbowl than Peterson. That's just my opinion of value but its not like I'd be outraged if Peterson won, just wouldn't be my choice

Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

And what does it matter if he breaks the record? If he misses it by like ten yards does that make him somehow less valuable? Why does having a record make him more valuable than not having it? Either way he has been the most dominant player in the league.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me it's Peterson and it's not even close. It's much easier for a QB to have an impact in a passing league. The fact the Peterson is carrying his team as RB with teams completely selling out to stop the run is amazing to me.

Whether he beats the record or gets in the playoffs is irrelevant to me. He is the most valuable player.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want AD to win it just for the fact that Peyton already has 4 MVP's & Brady has 3 rings so share the wealth. Plus he honestly looks even scarier then he did before the injury. It's insane how much of a freak he is and Vikings fans are very very lucky.

#3 Duke Blue Devils (3-0)
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Vikings would be like 3-13 without Peterson. We all know a QB is most valuable to a teams success but as the last guy to take over for Brady showed us even a monkey could thrive in that offense.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

No I'm not serious just felt like seeing how riled up you would get lol. Let's be real we all know Peyton is getting this award.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Peterson breaks the record he has to win it. I'd rather see him win it than Manning or Brady. They're having great years, but Peterson is carrying a team as a RB and looks like he could break a very impressive record in a league where fewer and fewer backs actually carry the load.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys. The MVP is clearly Kirk Cousins. He's an undefeated rookie QB. Way better than fragile RG3 or interception prone Luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i love peyton. but it would be a joke if he came any higher than 3rd for the award.
How high would you have Watt or Aldon finishing in the MVP race?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i love peyton. but it would be a joke if he came any higher than 3rd for the award.
28 voters in here don't find it funny.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The poll was almost a month ago. You should know that; you made the damn thread yourself
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
The poll was almost a month ago. You should know that; you made the damn thread yourself
Refresh it then.
Manning still is the leader in the clubhouse.....
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
are you serious? what year was that? a year off of the greatest offense ever? why on earth do you think that's remotely relevant in this discussion? or have you been living under a rock and actually think this patriots team is identical to the one matt cassell missed the playoffs with? it's unbelievable to me that people are still trying to force this asinine ********. or do you think it's relevant that the vikings were 15-1 without adrian peterson?
It was Belichick and McDaniels. They had Welker in the slot, similar running attack.

This team actually has better weapons on paper.

I think it's pretty relevant when discussing Brady's value right now on a team coached by Belichick/McDaniels with Welker in the slot.

Maybe not the greatest argument, but it doesn't compare to the 15-1 Vikes vs this year's Vikes situation.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
It was Belichick and McDaniels. They had Welker in the slot, similar running attack.

This team actually has better weapons on paper.

I think it's pretty relevant when discussing Brady's value right now on a team coached by Belichick/McDaniels with Welker in the slot.

Maybe not the greatest argument, but it doesn't compare to the 15-1 Vikes vs this year's Vikes situation.
14 years ago you mean, LOL.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

The Patriots offense that Matt Cassell ran was way different to this years offense. It was based more on 3 or 4 WR sets and Randy Moss was tearing **** up. The benefit of having Moss was he extended the defense vertically even without having to run any routes based on the threat of him going deep. Seriously, we see teams playing cover 2 shells but watch games from 2007/8 and you will see CBs playing with 9 yard cushions and safetys 25 to 30 yards deep at the snap. This years offense is more based on a levels concept and stretching the defense horizontally to open up intermediate stuff. Simply because of Randy Moss reading defenses became childs play. The Pats have some great weapons (despite what another thread may say) but not someone who forces defenses to declare themselves pre snap like Moss could

Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brady has a big impact, but I still think with BB that team could make the playoffs. Who is going to stop them? Bills? Jets? Dolphins?

Doubtful. And I'm not a huge fan of that argument to begin with. If the Pats didn't have Brady other moves would have been made to ensure there was a competent starter as opposed to a super raw QB like Mallet.

For his position, for his impact, and for the fact he'll likely end up with 2000+ yards I think it has to be Peterson. To me it doesn't matter if they make the playoffs or he breaks the record. The man has carried the team at the RB position which is almost unheard of, especially in a passing league.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Brady has a big impact, but I still think with BB that team could make the playoffs. Who is going to stop them? Bills? Jets? Dolphins?

Doubtful. And I'm not a huge fan of that argument to begin with. If the Pats didn't have Brady other moves would have been made to ensure there was a competent starter as opposed to a super raw QB like Mallet.

For his position, for his impact, and for the fact he'll likely end up with 2000+ yards I think it has to be Peterson. To me it doesn't matter if they make the playoffs or he breaks the record. The man has carried the team at the RB position which is almost unheard of, especially in a passing league.
I have no issue with people saying Peterson is the most dominant player in the league, or the best, or that he carried the Vikings etc

However, my only thing is, if the Vikings miss the playoffs then I don't see how he is the most valuable player in the league. The MVP is an award given on regular season performances. 6 teams from each conference get ino the playoffs. In my opinion, you can't be the most valuable player in the league if you can't get your team into the playoffs.

Like I said earlier, if the Vikings get in then for me it's a no brainer he has to win it. It literally would be a case of a RB dragging his team to the playoffs. However if they don't then what makes the Vikings different from the Jets, Titans, Rams etc, they are all sitting on the outside.

I also don't really like the argument of the Vikings being a 3 win team without Peterson, because well the Colts were a 2 win team last year and double digits likely this year. No one can realistically say how many wins a certain player brings - I don't think anyone will make a serious arguemnt that Luck has added 8 wins to the Colts. The Vikings added a stud LT in the draft this year and have a pretty good run blocking line. It's not as though Peterson is running against 12 men with only a center blocking for him.

The other issue I have is that for the first 7 or 8 weeks a lot of people were considering Percy Harvin for MVP. Yes him getting hurt coincided with Peterson going off, but for that first half of the season Peterson wasn't even the Vikings MVP in some people's eyes.

Give Peterson Offensive Player of the Year, give him Comeback Player of the Year, hell make up an award called Most Dominant Player of the Year and give him that, but in my opinion, I do not think he is most valuable

Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We certainly didnt have a similar running attack. What so ever. Maroney was awful. Neither did we utilize the TE position like we are right now either. Ugh I dont even want to continue down this list. Stupid argument is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote