Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
ramsrule
Rookie

ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Isaac Bruce gets in. He is third in yardage behind Rice and Owens; however, what stands out to me the most is that he is considered by many as one of the route runners of all-time. When you are an all-time great at something, that holds a lot of weight with me. It will likely take a while, but he eventually gets in IMO.

Same with Chris Carter and Tim Brown. Carter will probably make it the next two years. Much like Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce, Brown will take a while, but what people fail to realize is that he doubled as a dangerous punt returner.

Hines Ward will get in as well. His numbers may not be as good as many receivers, but like Bruce, he is considered an all-time great in a particular area: Blocking. He also had a history of playing well in the big games. Two Super Bowl rings also helps.
ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Hines Ward gets in. He's one of those players right at the edge; very good during his time but not someone who was ever IMO a 'great' WR.
Great football player however.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Hines Ward ever gets in the Hall of Fame it will become as big of a joke as the pro bowl.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was Hines ever elite? I don't think he belongs anywhere near the hall. He was a very popular productive player on probably the most popular team, but he just isn't the same caliber as other HoF players. If he gets in the Hall loses major credibility.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't recall one year where Ward was arguably the best receiver in the NFL. Not one.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Notable first ballot nominees include Larry Allen, John Lynch, Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan, and Jon Ogden.

My prediction is:

Strahan
Ogden
Allen
Cris Carter
Charles Haley
Robert Griffin III

What do you guys think about this class?
Ogden and Allen are the only obvious ones. The others are a crap shoot.
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Ward should be in. He's the definition of a guy that just doesn't pass the eye test for the hall.

Fans will clamor for it. And they'll be able to make a case with numbers. But he was never a dominant receiver. Played most of his career on a run based team. Was never the most feared player on his own team. Had very few years anyone would even consider him a top 5 guy, if any.

Longevity and great numbers shouldn't get you in if you didn't dominate. It's the hall of fame. It's not about just putting up good numbers by playing a long time. We're you among the best? No? Then you're not getting in.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hines Ward was a football player's football player, not a fantasy player's player.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see Will Shields enshrined, but I'm not sure how likely that is. He definitely deserves to be in there though.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Hines Ward was a football player's football player, not a fantasy player's player.
This was the most useless, waste of a post i've seen in a while here.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
This was the most useless, waste of a post i've seen in a while here.
Then why did you make it?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I don't recall one year where Ward was arguably the best receiver in the NFL. Not one.
Or even close to that. He should never make the HOF, and that doesn't mean he wasn't a great WR but it's just one of those things that should never happen.

I'd be really surprised if Allen and Ogden don't make it in. I mean, being arguably the best Guard or LT in the history in the NFL who both have SB rings isn't enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ward was a guy I will remember, but he isn't a guy I'll never forget.

The Hall is for special players and I just don't think he was historically special.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go Strahan!

Quote:
e Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its list of 15 finalists Friday morning, a group which will be whittled to no more than five inductees the day before the Super Bowl.

The group includes four first-time eligible nominees: Guard Larry Allen, tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and defensive end Michael Strahan.

It also includes last year’s 10 finalists who missed the final cut: Running back Jerome Bettis, wide receivers Tim Brown, Cris Carter and Andre Reed, guard Will Shields, defensive end Charles Haley, linebacker Kevin Greene, cornerback Aeneas Williams along with Bill Parcells and Ed DeBartolo, Jr.
The 15th finalist is former Browns owner Art Modell.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll say Reed, Ogden, Allen, Shields, and either Modell or Parcells.

Carter should be in already, but I don't think he made the top 10 last year, while Reed did.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hines Ward isn't getting in. Come on, guys. We aren't even positive that better receivers are getting in.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like him or not (and I don't) Warren Sapp should ABSOLUTELY be in the HOF. I don't see how it's even a debate.

You can make the case that he was the most all-around dominant DL of his time.

He lived in opponent's backfield.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Like him or not (and I don't) Warren Sapp should ABSOLUTELY be in the HOF. I don't see how it's even a debate.

You can make the case that he was the most all-around dominant DL of his time.

He lived in opponent's backfield.
Sapp was the prototypical undertackle for that system. He wasn't Reggie White or Bruce Smith, but he was right below them. Sapp and Simeon Rice were a nightmare to try to contain.

I always thought of him as a first-ballot guy, even though I hate his damn guts.

Last edited by WCH : 01-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Sapp was the prototypical undertackle for that system. He wasn't Reggie White or Bruce Smith, but he was right below them. Sapp and Simeon Rice were a nightmare to try to contain.

I always thought of him as a first-ballot guy, even though I hate his damn guts.
Sapp was the perfect player in the perfect system. If he'd been a NT in a 34, we might never have heard of him.

Some people need to remember that even elite players need to be put in the right offensive/defensive system that takes full advantage of their athletic skillset.

I hate Sapp too. But his game was the truth.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Hines Ward will get in because he was a Steeler. Every significant member of the Steelers gets into the Hall of Fame. It's ridiculous, but that's the way it's always been.

Warren Sapp was a rare talent. You could have put him on the nose and used a different technique with him, but it would have been a waste of his pass rush ability.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

So winning Super Bowls won't be part of the reason? What about being one of a small number of players to ever catch 1,000 passes?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to put my homer hat on for this one but the fact that Randy Gradishar isn't in is disappointing. One of the best MLBs, the leader of the Orange Crush defense, and just a very dominant defensive player in his day.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
So winning Super Bowls won't be part of the reason? What about being one of a small number of players to ever catch 1,000 passes?
Right now there are 8 players with 1000 receptions. In the next decade that number will probably triple. Besides, the hall has shown us year after year that numbers do not get WRs in.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bettis I want in. Ward is a no. Not even worth going over the reasons.

Ogden and Allen should be in no problem.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'd love to see Will Shields enshrined, but I'm not sure how likely that is. He definitely deserves to be in there though.
Shields is going to get **** on with Ogden and Allen getting in and them not wanting three OL men going in the same year.