Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glennon's more Eli Manning than Joe Flacco. He's more inclined to throw it into a tight window because he thinks he can make it, not because he doesn't know what else to do. I feel that way about Flacco sometimes. It's a combination, of course, because Flacco does have such a strong arm, but he looks a little bit nervous to me. Eli not so much, which is why I prefer him as a comparison to Glennon. I think they both have slightly lesser arms than Flacco, too, just in terms of arm strength. But Flacco's really not a bad comparison. He's pretty similar to Eli himself. I also think Flacco's a little bit more athletic than both of them.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyler Wilson - Ryan Fitzpatrick
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Tyler Wilson - Ryan Fitzpatrick
Having a hard time buying that one considering Fitz's arm isn't remotely close to Wilson's.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some that I have been thinking about lately.

Geno Smith - Matt Ryan
Mike Glennon - Poor man's Rivers
Tyler Wilson - Eli Manning
Matt Barkley - Marc Bulger
Zac Dysert - Donovan McNabb
Ryan Nassib - John Beck

Luke Joeckel - Ryan Clady

Keenan Allen - Jordy Nelson
Quinton Patton - Reggie Wayne
Tavon Austin - Wes Welker/Desean Jackson combo

Bjoern Werner - Osi Umenyiora
Tank Carradine - Chandler Jones
Arthur Brown - NaVorro Bowman

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Having a hard time buying that one considering Fitz's arm isn't remotely close to Wilson's.
At times, Wilson can get sloppy with his mechanics and not use his lower body resulting in poor velocity. I think that's where the comparison comes from.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
At times, Wilson can get sloppy with his mechanics and not use his lower body resulting in poor velocity. I think that's where the comparison comes from.
Right. It was more of a stylistic comparison than a physical comparison.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
Keenan Allen - Jordy Nelson
Really like this one.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a lot of potential for cross-racial comparisons in this draft.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
There is a lot of potential for cross-racial comparisons in this draft.
Get outta here with that talk

Bjoern Werner is like all other high-motor white guys like Aaron Kampman, Aaron Schoebel, JJ Watt and Jared Allen - they all have identical play styles

Star Lotulelei is a Tongan DT who played in the Pac12, therefore he is Haloti Ngata

Ryan Swope is Wes Welker

Ziggy Ansah is seen as a "raw", athletic DE who hasn't played that long so he must be JPP

Why watch games to make judgements when you can just go with some preconceived notions? It's much more fun

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyler Bray - Ryan Mallett

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Ryan Swope is Wes Welker

Ziggy Ansah is seen as a "raw", athletic DE who hasn't played that long so he must be JPP
Swope and Welker are both slot receivers in similar college systems. How is it any different from comparing Tavon Austin to Welker? And have fun finding a cross-racial comparison for a track star from Ghana.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Get outta here with that talk

Bjoern Werner is like all other high-motor white guys like Aaron Kampman, Aaron Schoebel, JJ Watt and Jared Allen - they all have identical play styles
...I was thinking Jared Allen watching Bjoern Werner...

Quote:
Star Lotulelei is a Tongan DT who played in the Pac12, therefore he is Haloti Ngata
How about Vince Wilfork?

Quote:
Ryan Swope is Wes Welker
This would be a pretty bad one. I'm actually not sure I've seen this one made.

Quote:
I actually don't mind this one, either. What'd JPP have the year before he came out, like 6.5 sacks? He didn't have a whole lot of prodcution at USF, but the size and overall ethleticism were obvious on tape, as well as the fact that in a lot of places he clearly didn't know what he was doing and was just running around causing problems, mostly for the other team but sometimes for his, too. I was one of the people who didn't particularly like JPP as a prospect, but I was clearly wrong. I don't think Anseh is quite the athlete JPP was, so you can't compare him to JPP meaning "I think he'll be an All-Pro," but they are pretty similar prospects. I'd be quite comfortable calling him a poor-man's JPP at this point. Strong, long and raw. Neither really has elite speed for a rush end, but with their power, body control and arm length they can get behind the line and be disruptive. I don't think I'd take him 15th overall, but overall I think he compares favorably.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I generally try to compare guys who are close in height and weight.

Swope doesn't compare to Welker because he's 6' 205. That puts him closer to guys like Brandon Stokley, Jordan White, and Greg Salas.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
I generally try to compare guys who are close in height and weight.

Swope doesn't compare to Welker because he's 6' 205. That puts him closer to guys like Brandon Stokley, Jordan White, and Greg Salas.
Not just his height. Swope is also good at coming down with deep balls and is one of the more phsyical wide receivers, both with the ball and as a blocker, in this class. Those are things you're not really saying about Welker at all. I don't know that Swopes is a slot receiver. Again - he reminds me of Hines Ward. Kind of a poor-man's Golden Tate in some ways. Not to say Hines Ward is a poor-man's Golden Tate, but some of the things Tate is good at are evident in Swope's game. I see some similarities to Anquan Boldin, just to keep throwing out recognizable names.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:

How about Vince Wilfork?
I can see that. The thing is with Star is that he's so scheme diverse, he could project to any number of guys depending on what you ask him to do. Utah asks him to two-gap so much and play with his weight behind him, but if you put him in a one-gap scheme, he could probably be similar to a (motivated) Albert Haynesworth.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MEh, I was being facetious with my comparisons. Basically trying to say people with base comparisons off of how a player looks, not how he plays.

For instance, IMO Swope does not compare to Welker, however when he made that great catch against Alabama Welker was trending on twitter. White WRs are generally compared to Welker, it doesn't matter if they're Julian Edelman or Jordy Nelson. Likewise every white DE is a high motor guy. People still talk about JJ Watt as an effort guy, he does have a great motor, but the guy is an athletic freak.

I don't think Ansah's game is overly similar to JPP yet he is the guy he is most compared to because they were both high upside guys only scratching the surface of their potential.

My point is most comparisons are made without actually focusing on playing styles and tendancies, more of how a player looks or preconceived notions of how a player should perform based on his skin colour, height (every small QB is Drew Brees), build etc

Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno Smith reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford. The accuracy and touch they put on the ball is so eerily similar.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
MEh, I was being facetious with my comparisons. Basically trying to say people with base comparisons off of how a player looks, not how he plays.
I know. I was just saying Werner -> Allen and Ansah -> JPP aren't necessarily lazy comparisons; I do think those players have quite a lot in common. They might be easy or intuitive comparisons, but they're not bad ones.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ziggy Ansah is seen as a "raw", athletic DE who hasn't played that long so he must be JPP.
Pretty much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Ansah grew up playing soccer but was recruited to BYU by a Mormon missionary who thought the Ghanaian’s 6' 6" 250-pound frame would lend itself to football.[1] Ansah converted to the LDS faith and was awarded an academic scholarship to BYU in 2008. However, rather than going out for the football team, Ansah, a huge fan of LeBron James, tried out for the basketball team but was cut from both the 2008 and 2009 teams.[2][3] After facing rejection in basketball Ansah did successfully walk on to the BYU track team, where he ran a 10.91 in the 100-meter dash in addition to clocking a time of 21.89 seconds in the 200 meters.[4] Finally, Ansah was persuaded to try out for the football team, and he began playing football for the Cougars in 2010.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

You see places where he clearly could use some technique work and places where he is looking at the play and thinking about what he should do next instead of reacting intuitively, but that's reflective of the fact that he's only been playing football for such a short time. It's impressive that he is a solid contributor on a major college football team after picking up the sport only three years ago. He has incredible size and athleticism, and when I watch him I see a powerful player who uses that athleticism to overpower and outmaneuver blockers. When he has a better idea of where to be and continues to develop his repertoire of moves, he looks like he's going to be a force. This is a Julius Peppers/Mario Williams/JPP kind of athlete who's very raw. He's going to blow up the combine and in all likelihood go in the first round. If you don't want to watch the whole video, just watch the first snap vs. Notre Dame:

Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone watch Ansah tape and become immediately drawn to Van Noy?
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Right View Post
Anyone watch Ansah tape and become immediately drawn to Van Noy?
Yeah he really stands out.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:50 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Geno Smith reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford. The accuracy and touch they put on the ball is so eerily similar.

Geno better hope he gets better protection in the NFL than Sam has had. Legitimate weapons would help too. Not having either can stunt your development.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I think Werner actually compares pretty well to Kamerion Wimbley. Both are around the same size and both have really good explosion off the snap. Both obviously went to FSU. I do think Werner uses his hands better though. While it isn't his strength in the run game he isn't overwhelmed despite playing at a relatively low weight this year

Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

Quote:
You see places where he clearly could use some technique work and places where he is looking at the play and thinking about what he should do next instead of reacting intuitively, but that's reflective of the fact that he's only been playing football for such a short time. It's impressive that he is a solid contributor on a major college football team after picking up the sport only three years ago. He has incredible size and athleticism, and when I watch him I see a powerful player who uses that athleticism to overpower and outmaneuver blockers. When he has a better idea of where to be and continues to develop his repertoire of moves, he looks like he's going to be a force. This is a Julius Peppers/Mario Williams/JPP kind of athlete who's very raw. He's going to blow up the combine and in all likelihood go in the first round. If you don't want to watch the whole video, just watch the first snap vs. Notre Dame:

This was one of his better games. I think BYU as a whole was hyped up for this game.