Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Walter Thomas

This extremely raw DT version of Antonio Cromartie is really getting a ton of hype heading into the draft.

And Im eating it up. If he can shed 20 lbs, which should be easy at that big frame of 370, could you imagine how potentially dominant he can be?

He has potential to collapse the entire interior line all by himself. He's fast, huge, and has long arms.

I wouldn't mind gambling on this kid at all. In day 2, I would definately gamble on what could be a huge huge steal.

The question is, what round will he fall to?

Think about what our dline coach can do with him. He's turned water to wine so many times, give him a Walter Thomas, and forget about it. If we draft the kid, and he can even reach 60% of his potential in his rookie year, we could have a dline thats impossible to block.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After doing some google research on the guy, it seems like a late 4th is needed for him.

That makes me think. Is he worth it at that point in the draft. If he pans out, the answer is a resounding hell yes, but if not, you pass up on some good day 2 talent. Especially in this draft, where most of the talent won't last beyond round 4.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

370? Wow. He's like two DT's wrapped into one at that size. The thing that scares me is, how much does he love the game? Does he love it enough to really reach some of his potential? If he does then I'd be willing to draft him in the fourth. If we pick up another fourth rounder somewhere along the lines I'd be happy. If not, I'd rather chance it in the 5th. Maybe try and trade up to get him if he lasts to the fifth.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

We already have 5 DTs....unless you plan on cutting someone, I don't see us drafting any DTs earlier than the 6th because he will likely spend a year on the PS, leavinh him prone to pickups by other teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

late 2nd day pick, wouldnt mind it, especiallly with our DT coach.

he seems like a lazy, fat, dumb kid who played against terrible competition though.... Not really my kind of guy. He has the measurables though.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
We already have 5 DTs....unless you plan on cutting someone, I don't see us drafting any DTs earlier than the 6th because he will likely spend a year on the PS, leavinh him prone to pickups by other teams.
Cutting someone is definately not out of the question. We have 5 DTs, but none of them are great. We can make room for potential.

Who are our DTs? Seawright, Joseph, Robbins, Coffield, and ?

Have an open competition between him and Seawright. Swap one project for another.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
late 2nd day pick, wouldnt mind it, especiallly with our DT coach.

he seems like a lazy, fat, dumb kid who played against terrible competition though.... Not really my kind of guy. He has the measurables though.
Yeah, thats why he's a project. He's no guarantee, or he'd be a top 20 pick.

He is dumb and lazy, but even out of shape his measureables are insane. Plus, you don't have to be a genius to play NT. They say he was soaking up coaching like a sponge during his limited time on the field, maybe he's just dumb off the field, who knows.

As long as he can occupy 2 guys and collapse the inside of the pocket, I could care less about the rest.

Jamal Williams is around 355 lbs. Asking this guy to shed 15 pounds isn't that extreme. If he can get to that weight, and learn how to play the position, you have a diamond in the rough.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Cutting someone is definately not out of the question. We have 5 DTs, but none of them are great. We can make room for potential.

Who are our DTs? Seawright, Joseph, Robbins, Coffield, and ?

Have an open competition between him and Seawright. Swap one project for another.
You forgot about Marcus Bell, we just signed him. Will likely be in the rotation, mainly at NT to five Cofield a blow.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-18-2007, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
You forgot about Marcus Bell, we just signed him. Will likely be in the rotation, mainly at NT to five Cofield a blow.
Oh yeah, that guy.

Well, I can definately see us cutting Seawright to make room for this guy. This guy is a Seawright duplicate with more potential. Seawright is just a fat lard, this guy actually has the speed/strength to do something.

Seawright while big, is too slow. At the very worst, this guy can be another Seawright.

I was actually surprised to see Seawright get playing time in our goalline defense. He saw the field a little last year.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we should take either Laron Harris or Walter Thomas is round 4. If you look at Thomas, he carries that 370 pounds extremely well. A lot of it seems to be on his shoulders, rather than his gut, which is the case with many large lineman. I would love either one of those guys.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

I say no to both, some of you guys fall in love with measurables way too easily.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-18-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How do you justify Ginn in the 1st then, hes just measurables?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
How do you justify Ginn in the 1st then, hes just measurables?
What?!!?

Are you telling me he hasn't been productive on the D-I level?
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea dude Ginn was very productive, plus he has great measurables (and i dont even want to draft him)
Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What?!!?

Are you telling me he hasn't been productive on the D-I level?
But he doesn't run good routes, doesn't display good form. All he is doing is getting by on his measurables, hes a project just like Thomas or Harris, he has the potential to be much better then either and its not even close, but hes raw.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
But he doesn't run good routes, doesn't display good form. All he is doing is getting by on his measurables, hes a project just like Thomas or Harris, he has the potential to be much better then either and its not even close, but hes raw.
His route running isn't bad, it just needs work. And that is easily correctable especially considering the explosion and ability to change direction he has.

He does not compare in terms of being a project to either of those DTs.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yes, we are basing him solely on measureables. But for a 4th, can you blame us? Its not like we're thinking about taking him in the 1st. This is a 4th round draft pick we're talking about. Why not roll the dice and see if you find a gem? At that point in the draft, you look for 3 things.

1. Sleepers
2. Guys who fell for whatever reason
3. Project players with potential

You draft guys in rounds 1-3 that can give you immediate return, if you unearth a gem in round 4, thats great. If it doesn't pan out, no big deal, its a 4th rounder we're talking about.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Yes, we are basing him solely on measureables. But for a 4th, can you blame us? Its not like we're thinking about taking him in the 1st. This is a 4th round draft pick we're talking about. Why not roll the dice and see if you find a gem? At that point in the draft, you look for 3 things.

1. Sleepers

You draft guys in rounds 1-3 that can give you immediate return, if you unearth a gem in round 4, thats great. If it doesn't pan out, no big deal, its a 4th rounder we're talking about.
I was just about to post the same idea.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:

1. Sleepers

I still value 4th round picks pretty highly, a lot of good players come out of that round every year. If we're talking 5th, I'd consider it. But the first pick of day 2 is still very valuable.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I still value 4th round picks pretty highly, a lot of good players come out of that round every year. If we're talking 5th, I'd consider it. But the first pick of day 2 is still very valuable.
I agree with this. I think you can still find good players that can start for you in the fourth round. This is also a round to make sure you get that needed depth for a posistion. In our case, I think Tackle would be the pick we could really use some depth in this year - so hopefully we can grab Marten around then.

I'd be cool with him in the 5th or 6th round though. You will rarely find rookie starters around that time - with some exceptions with a guy like Gibril for us.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Thats the thing. I can't commit to this guy that early unless I see more of him. But its so hard finding stuff on this guy. I wish his stock didn't rise so much, but who knows what will happen on draft day. We saw Gabe Watson fall to the 4th, maybe this guy falls beyond the 4th.

But he's such an intriguing prospect. I hope the Giants are at least looking into it.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Thats the thing. I can't commit to this guy that early unless I see more of him. But its so hard finding stuff on this guy. I wish his stock didn't rise so much, but who knows what will happen on draft day. We saw Gabe Watson fall to the 4th, maybe this guy falls beyond the 4th.

But he's such an intriguing prospect. I hope the Giants are at least looking into it.
Who says his stock rose? Just because a few more guys on this site know who he is now doesn't mean he is going to be picked any earlier than he was a few weeks ago. I don't see him being picked before the 5th round, and I think he'll be picked in the 6th.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Who says his stock rose? Just because a few more guys on this site know who he is now doesn't mean he is going to be picked any earlier than he was a few weeks ago. I don't see him being picked before the 5th round, and I think he'll be picked in the 6th.
Some mock drafts (I think McShay) has him going in the 4th. So his stock rising has to have some substance to it.

Id love for him to fall to the 6th. At that point, Id honestly be upset if we didn't take him.