Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...ement-possible

Quote:
Jackson intimated Thursday that he might retire at the end of this season. Though he laughed as he said it, the 29-year-old running back didn't retreat from the idea when asked how serious he was about the possibility

"If I have to write my story," Jackson said Thursday, "I'd rather go out like Barry Sanders and leaving people to want more than to leave too late."

So, how many more seasons does that mean are left for Jackson?

"Maybe this last one," he said laughing. "Those hits hurt."
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Jackson will retire yet. He has never been on a winning team, and even when we beat Seattle on Sunday, finishing with an 8-7-1 record without a trip to the playoffs will not ease the sting much.

Besides that, while Jackson has always talked about winning and being the consummate team player, there is a big part of him that likes the personal accolades, as is evidenced by this story you quoted, which goes on to talk about him posting pages from the record books in his locker. If he quits now, Jackson will likely never go to the HOF. If he were to play 4 more years and get his numbers up to 13,000 and 80, as well as 500 receptions and 4,000 yards receiving, he might have a shot, especially if his resume included some meaningful production in the postseason.

I have to say, though, as a fan I am really excited about this team, but I am ready to let Jackson go and move on without him. It isn't that I don't like him; he has been a great player and has done a lot of great things here. I just kind of feel like this team won't truly move forward and play its best football as long as he is here.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This WR class is loaded.

I think Keenan Allen, Tavon Austin, Terrance Williams, Robert Woods and Cordarrelle Patterson are all first round picks. And Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Stedman Bailey and DeAndre Hopkins could be gone at the end of the 2nd round.

I'm really getting excited about some of the talent in this years class. The Offensive Line group is stacked, Joeckel, Lewan, Fisher, Matthews, Fluker, Warmack, Cooper, Jones.....

I really want a first round of...

1. Jake Matthews
2. Chance Warmack

I know it's not sexy, it's boring. But I think even Nick mentioned it before that this would be the best route to go. And unless Patterson runs like a 4.35 in the 40 and has a Julio-like Combine (which he very well could) I don't see my opinion changing.

Right now the positions of need in order I think are

Right Tackle
Right Guard
Safety
Linebacker
Wide Receiver

I think Teo will be on the board when the Rams pick but I don't think he's worth a top 20 pick, I know I'm one of few that think that but In my opinion he's being a little overrated. Luke Kuechly was by far a better prospect. And as I said before, I don't think there are any safeties worth a top 32 selection. To me, in order for me to take a safety in the first round hes gotta be elite and I just don't see that with any safety in this class.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While there may be 4 or 5 WR's go in the 1st round, I don't think any of them are on the same level as Watkins and Lee. Of all the guys you listed, the only one that really intrigues me this year is Austin. In him I see the kind of player that can score at any time from anywhere on the field. I don't see that from the others. And because of his size, I see him possibly falling to the 2nd round, even though he is obviously a 1st round talent. I would love it if we traded out of the 1st round with one of our picks for an early 2nd and a 2014 #1 and took him there. That would bring us (IMO) this year's best offensive weapon, as well as a 3rd #1 for 2014 to position ourselves for Lee, Watkins, or another stud that we determine could be that difference maker.

Additionally, with a lot of the receivers you suggested, like Woods, Allen, Patterson, Rodgers...I see the same traits in Quick that I see in those guys. I don't see the reasoning behind drafting another guy with similar size and skill set as the guy we just picked. He hasn't picked up the system as quickly as we thought he would, but I am not ready to move on yet. Our passing game has progressed rather nicely this season, and I see it only getting better next year.

I am all for drafting offensive linemen in the first round (other than my previous statement that I would like to trade out of the first with one of our picks), but I am not sure I see that happening. If we did pick a guy that early, I see it being Mathews, since Fisher has a strong connection with his dad from their time coaching together in Tennessee. That might be an impossibility, though, if the Titans nab him first. I think it is more likely that we take a guy like Eric Fisher or Brian Winters in the 2nd round, followed by another project road grader (along the lines of Rok Watkins) on day 3.

You bring up a good point with Teo, something that is often missed with the draft. He is being touted as a top 10 pick, but is he worth it? The flip side is the guy that a team really wants, like the Seahawks taking Bruce Irvin at #16 last year, when he clearly isn't ranked that high.

At this point in our rebuilding, I think we need another draft in which we go forward with the BPA philosophy. This is how teams like the Ravens, Falcons and Packers have become so loaded at every position, and are then allowed the luxury of pegging one guy that they think is the missing piece. While filling needs along the way is somewhat satisfying, you tend to get less value at each step of the way by doing this. Will Mathews and Warmack be the best players available when we draft? Maybe they are, and we take them. If they aren't, then I don't think we take them just for the sake of filling the need. We had a really nice draft last year and have a nice core of young players, but I think we need another group like it to continue what we have started. We are by no means loaded at this early stage in the process.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

After watching some youtube videos, I do like Markus Wheaton more than most of the other guys you listed. He has a real nice burst and great field vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtiPitIsgE
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I don't think we should be drafting this year with Lee or Watkins in our thoughts.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I just got home from the game. I really thought we might pull it out, but fell short in the end. I am still really proud of the way my team played from start to finish. Seattle is very good, and that stadium was absolutely electric. I have never been anywhere so loud in my life! I have only been to the Clink one other time, and that was a few years ago when I was still in my heavy partying days. This time I could really appreciate the whole experience.

Penalties were extremely costly today, especially the stupid ones. We finished back-to-back drives with personal fouls. One gave them excellent field position, the next almost cost us an onside kick. There were also several false start/neutral zone infractions that handed the Seahawks momentum. The kind of mistakes that young teams always make. That being said, I will take this season and move forward with great optimism. At the beginning of the year I was hoping to win 5-6 games, and make strong progress towards the future. I think we exceeded my expectations.

I have to say that it is extremely frustrating not having a receiving threat that does more than Amendola for 5 yards over the middle. Kendricks had a decent game, coming up with three solid receptions, all of which (I believe) went for 1st downs. However, when you boil it all down, there is no one that scared the Seahawks enough to loosen up the secondary. I have been talking a lot about holding out for the 2014 draft for another receiver, but I don't think I realized just how dire the situation is. I haven't seen that many games this year; actually seeing it in person and getting a true feeling for what was and wasn't available offensively was quite an eye opener.

Defensively I couldn't be more pleased. That defense played their butts off today, and we had pressure on Wilson at every turn of events. Jenkins completely shut down Sidney Rice, and his blanket coverage was so effective that after the 1st quarter Wilson really never looked Rice's way again. That kid has special skills, and quickness that I haven't seen in a long time. I'm really glad he is on my team.

This was a great opportunity for me to see the Rams in person as we head into the offseason. While one game doesn't tell the whole story, I left the game with the following thoughts...

1) The offensive line really needs help. They didn't allow a sack, but the pressure the Seahawks applied was very effective nonetheless. Running lanes were seldom available. I agree with what everyone has been saying here; we need a great run-blocking guard and a much better tackle to pair with Saffold.

2) The front four was in the kitchen all day long, and I was really impressed with how well we rotated our d-linemen in and out. I would really like to see us draft a fast, athletic linebacker to add some quickness and flexibility to our front 7. Rocky McIntosh had several opportunities to make plays but was just a step slow it appeared. He never quit playing hard, though.

3) Givens is really fast, and the defense gave him special consideration. How good would he and Amendola be if we had the big, strong, athletic receiver that demanded a double-team? If we had a guy like AJ Green or Julio Jones the trio could really be something. The supporting cast is in place; we just need the #1 guy. I stood up for Quick recently, but after seeing this game I must say he needs a LOT of work. He didn't get into the game very much; when he was in there he looked lost. The one pass they threw his way, he was out of position, ran the wrong route, and made Bradford look bad. I'm not suggesting that we give up on him, but I wouldn't bet the farm on him becoming our main threat anytime soon.

One real positive was that this team has obviously bonded and they are having fun playing football. This was definitely not a team that came into the game as if it had nothing to play for. Win, lose, or draw, they are a team. Before the game they worked together as a unit, and were actually putting in work as opposed to just loafing around waiting for the game to start.

One last cool item to mention...while I sat up in the nosebleeds, my fiance was in row 5 at the 50 yard line behind the Rams bench. A couple of jerks were taunting Laurinitis, saying stuff about his Dad and whatnot. (Laurinitis' dad was a professional wrestler). Chris Long got into the fray and things got a bit heated. Long said a few things that he would shouldn't have. A few minutes later my fiance and her daughter (who is 12) gave Long the "heart" sign and he shouted, "I love you too!" They said he seemed to sincerely regret the things he said, especially when he realized that there was a youngster in the area. Needless to say, my soon-to-be stepdaughter's new favorite NFL player is Chris Long:-)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Nice bro! I need to make it up to that stadium at some point in my life, I've heard great things, and I want to see this 12th man for myself.

Chris Long looked pissed that game, there are some games where he just looks like he wants to rip someones head off, there were a lot of after the whistle scuffles that he was right in the middle of.

Like I said before, this WR class is really deep, we can get a good one on day 2.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Lemme know if you ever get a chance to make the trip...Seattle is a fun city and we can definitely hook up and see the sights! The 12th man is definitely a huge advantage here...I never was able to sit for a Rams offensive play because everyone stands and yells their brains out as soon as the opponent gets the ball. Even when the opponent gets a 1st down, there is just a short lull followed by more noise. At one point the decibel meter hit 108.

The more I watch the more I like Markus Wheaton from Oregon State. His QB isn't real good, but he catches every catchable ball. He has very good field vision and positions himself well. He seems to have really strong field awareness. One thing I realized at this last game is that we don't have many guys who make the tough catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtiPitIsgE
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Yeah I like Wheaton and he's a guy you could probably get on the 2nd day. I like Tavon a lot as well.

Would you have a problem with the Rams going BPA no matter what position? (besides QB) like if a guy like Bjoern Werner or Dee Milliner are clearly the top players left, would you be pissed if the Rams took one?

And yeah I'll deffinetly let you know if I ever make it up there. I know me and a buddy of mine have been talking about making the trip for two years now.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I like Tavon Austin a lot. I think he would bring a lot to the return game besides being that "unknown" weapon that can create mismatches wherever he lines up. I think he could be used in many formations, could be a threat on sweeps and reverses, etc. Wheaton can be used in a lot of the same ways, although I think Austin is quicker and probably has better all-around speed. On the flipside of that, Wheaton is bigger and looks like he might be a better possession receiver who can be more physical and pick up the key 1st down on 3rd and 6.

As for going BPA, I'm all for it. While this draft has been criticised for not being top-heavy, I think there are a lot of very good players and if ever there was a year that a team could accumulate talent across the board, this year would be as good as any.

One player that I have talked about in the past is Dion Jordan from Oregon. I was surprised to see him at #7 overall on Scott Wright's updated rankings list. Everyone is penciling him in as a 3-4 OLB, but I think he could be fantastic as a 4-3 OLB. His coverage skills are outstanding, he is very smart and doesn't get caught out of position.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Some Running Backs I like this year

Dennis Johnson, Arkansas
Some of the best backs have great vision and average speed. Johnson reminds me a lot of Curtis Martin. He isn't going to burn anyone for 80 yards, but he is patient,finds holes and takes what is there for 4 or 5 yards at a whack. Could be great value on day 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhHZ72gGyno

Mike Gillislee, Florida
Gillislee has that short, thick stature that so many great running backs carry. I like his quickness and vision, and he has a great burst when he hits the hole. I'm a little concerned with his 4.7 ypc average, which is considerably lower than the nearly 6 ypc that he had before becoming the feature back. Still, he is bigger and more powerful than either Richardson or Pead, and I think he would be a great value if he made it to the 3rd round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IQp2EyAzY

Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Montee Ball had undergone a lot of criticism for going back to Wisconsin after running for nearly 2000 yards and 39 total TD's his junior year. There seems to be this perception that Ball is already washed up because he has run the ball 900 times in college. His pedigree doesn't help him, either, as Wisconsin backs have not enjoyed much success at the next level. Nevertheless, I can see Ball being productive at the next level in a rotation. He has good balance, always gets positive yardage, and has a great nose for the goalline. He plays a lot bigger than he is...I was quite surprised to see that he is only listed at 215. I don't think the NFL scouts will love him, and I can see him fall drastically in the draft. Excellent value in the 4th-5th round area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk7aLzbwBb8

LeVeon Bell, Michigan St
Bell is 245 pounds of thump. Kind of gives you the picture of Ron Dayne or Brandon Jacobs. However, he is very light on his feet and extremely athletic for his size. He is excellent at putting away opponents late in games. A load to take down, and better speed than you would think. Will probably go in the 2nd round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP4rZB7f0cU
Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Interesting...I just put 2 and 2 together and realized that Kyle Long is Chris long's brother. If we drafted him in the 3rd round and he played RT for us, the two brothers would be playing across from each other every day in practice. Would that be a good thing or an awkward thing? He is 6'7" and 311 lbs. Definitely intriguing size/stature. I couldn't find any youtube videos for him:(
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I kind of like Georgia safety Shawn Williams. He has great size (6'1" and 215) and looks pretty good against the run. His coverage skills could use some work, as he tends to bite on play-action and get burned on the back end. He very much strikes me as the player who has gotten by on his physical ability, and with sound coaching could become very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6zn3iywNo

Last edited by stlouisfan37 : 01-02-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Forgot to add youtube clip
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple of tidbits, for whatever they're worth...

-Pro Football Focus ranked the Rams' team pass blocking as 22nd in the NFL. They finished with a slightly positive rating of 1.2.

-Of the 27 quarterbacks who played at least 50% of their team's snaps, Pro Football Focus has Sam Bradford being under pressure 32.7% of his attempts. That makes him the 10th most pressured QB in the league.

-Bradford is tied for first in most times hit while thrown. He is 10th highest in the percentage of plays under pressure that turn into sacks.

-When filtered by offensive lineman who played at least 25% of their team's snaps, here is how the Rams' OL finished individually in pass blocking efficiency...

Saffold: 10th best out of 72
Richardson: 43rd best out of 72
Dahl: 10th best out of 72
Turner (as a G): 34th best out of 72
Sh. Smith: 55th best out of 72
Turner (as a C): 1st best out of 36
Wells: 6th best out of 36

-The Rams ranked 24th in the league in drops with 25 on the year by STATS LLC. Only six teams had fewer credited drops than the Rams in 2012.

-Rams receivers ranked 22nd in the league in YAC for receivers by STATS LLC. Only ten teams received fewer YAC from their receivers than the Rams did.

-The Rams ranked 26th in the league in number of big catches of 25+ yards by STATS LLC. Only four teams had fewer big catches than the Rams in 2012.

The way I see it, the two biggest needs on this team are the offensive line (LG & RT) and at wide receiver. I believe the talent in the draft, specifically in the first round where the Rams have two selections, is better at offensive line than it is at receiver.

Grabbing a Matthews, Warmack, Lewan, or Fisher would be fantastic IMO (assuming Joeckel is definitely gone). With the Rams' second pick in the first round being in the twenties, that should be a good range for a weapon at WR if the Rams want to load up. But I think the Rams have some good youth in Pettis, Givens, and Quick, so I'd rather see them pursue a top veteran WR as a go-to #1 target.

There are some intriguing second day options at safety if the Rams don't address it in free agency. Lots of guys that I think are in the second and third round range that, IMO, could come in and immediately push Craig Dahl out of a job. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the Rams pursue a guy like Louis Delmas in free agency, since he functioned well in Schwartz's defense in Detroit, and Schwartz was a coordinator under Fisher.

At outside linebacker, I think Dunbar was outstanding this season and would like to see him stay for a while at SAM linebacker. Finding a weak sider shouldn't be too, too difficult. Again, there should be some good Day Two options there, but it might be worth waiting until Day Three or finding a cheap veteran.

Running back is intriguing. A lot will depend on what Steven Jackson does. If he and the Rams work out a reasonable extension, then forget about any more additions. If he departs, I would almost prefer a veteran to team with two young guys in Richardson and Pead. But another rookie wouldn't necessarily be bad.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Yeah it REALLY sucks that Matthews is rumored to be going back to school. But i can see the reasoning for it. Still it sucks, he's my favorite tackle.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Not sure if any of you guys are following it, but so far in the forum mock I have...

1. Chance Warmack OG
1. Keenan Allen WR
2. Tony Jefferson S

I wanted Fisher with the 22nd pick, had to take Warmack with the 16th, I think if I waited to 22 he would of been off the board. And Fisher went right before my other pick so I had to snag the best WR in the draft. And it was actually a tough decision because I don't doubt the Allen will be a good one, but I really like Patterson, Williams and I think my Favorite receiver this year is Hopkins.

And in the 2nd round I was very close to taking Sam Montgomery but I figured Safety was a bigger need and I think Jefferson is being a bit underrated right now. I like him more then Reid.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Those stats are very interesting. I would definitely like to see some of those OL numbers lower.

I think we are all in agreement that OL is the #1 need on this team. However, I'm not sure it will be addressed as aggressively as we would like. After all, as someone pointed out, Fisher never drafted an offensive lineman with his 1st round pick while he was in Tennessee. He drafted 2 linemen in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 5 in the 4th, 3 in the 5th, 2 in the 6th, and 6 in the 7th. 20 linemen in 16 drafts. There were 3 years that he didn't draft a lineman. So it seems clear to me that he likes to find lunchpail guys in the middle rounds, and also take a shot on late round guys, and generally takes 1 or 2 trenchmen per year.

Now, the game has evolved and keeping your QB upright is more important than ever, so I am not saying that he won't take a lineman early. What I am suggesting is that, in philosophy, he doesn't invest high picks on offensive linemen. I have to say, I don't mind it so much. I have said in the past that if a team took the best lineman available in the 3rd round every year they would build a really solid line, and still have a lot of money to spend on position players and great defenders.

I really like Seiler's idea of bringing in an experienced veteran receiver. I think he was talking about that a lot last year. There aren't a lot of real big names this year. Jennings will almost certainly stay in GB. Wallace is the best option out there if we want to go for the kill, but he will cost upwards of $50 million. I wouldn't mind a Brian Hartline or Devery Henderson myself. A good team player who can help the young guys along, but still be productive as well.

Running backs...I honestly think that Jackson is gone. Both sides say they want him here. But I think that Jackson is thinking somewhere along the lines of $5 million a year and the team is thinking $3 million a year. Maybe I'm wrong.

I also like us bringing in a really fast, athletic linebacker. Someone who is a playmaker, that can be very versatile in our front 7. I love Dion Jordan. He has very good coverage skills, can become a great passrusher, and could likely play several different spots in the front 7.

One last thing...Craig Dahl sucks ass.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I like the idea of getting a Receiver in Free Agency, I think I read somewhere that Greg Jennings doesn't expect to be back in Green Bay. Not sure he'd be the best option though ,plus I can just imagine the kind of contract he'll be demanding. didn't Vincent Jackson sign a 5 year 55 million dollar deal last offseason at roughly the same age.

Not sure the Rams have that kind of money. Kevin Demoff has said we'll probably have somewhere around 10 million to spend in Free Agency. I think it'll be a little higher than that, more around 15 million after a few cuts (Mikell, Hunter)

I would like to resign Barry Richardson as a backup to both Left and Right Tackle spots next year, while he's not great, he played better than I thought he would for us.

The number one thing on the Rams checklist this offseason has got to be resigning William Hayes. He was a monster for us on that D-Line this year. He can play both end spots and Fisher loved kicking him inside, very very valuable to this team.

I've gone back and forth on Amendola. I love the man, I love his attitude toward the game. If we can get him at a reasonable price, I'd love to have him back. But even if you do resign these three guys, that's going to take a big chunk of money you have away.

Not sure it's going to be a really active Free Agency for us, just sure up what you have already in place, and then building this team through the draft.

DeAndre Hopkins needs to be a Ram.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Oh and not sure if any of you guys listen to 101 espn. But Tony Softli has been on there a lot recently, and has said Jeremy Maclin is a free agent receiver the Rams should look into.....This is false. Maclin is signed with the Eagles through next year.

He's also said that the Rams number one priority should be resigning free agent Jo-lonn Dunbar this offseason.....this is false, Dunbar signed a two-year deal with us.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Yeah, I definitely want Hayes back. I would think that deal will get done. He loves playing for Fisher, and the team loves having him. Good things happen when he is on the field.

I do see us trimming out some salary cap space. Last year was not ideal, we had a new regime inheriting old financial problems, and did what we could with them. I think we probably cut Mikell and Hunter for sure, and only bring back Jackson if it is a reasonable deal.

Honestly, I think Gibson is the better choice of who to bring back if we had to choose between him and Amendola. I love Amendola, but I'm not sure having him as the always-go-to safety blanket is good for the team. When Danny got injured this year, there was an immediate lull in the offense, but as the season wore on Sam started playing better, utilizing all his players, and made huge strides, especially the last few games. I'm not saying that Sam can't be good with Danny on the team, but at times he feels like a "bad habit" that Sam reverts to when he loses confidence in the game plan.

One guy that I am interested in drafting is Kyle Long from Oregon. He is Chris Long's brother and projected to be a RT in the NFL, although he played LG this year at Oregon. Had some off-field issues in college, made a try at playing baseball, but seems to be settled into playing football now. Has good size (6'7" and 310), is a decent athlete, and, obviously, the family pedigree. His versatility is a huge plus. Might be a great pick in the 3rd-4th round, where Fisher likes to take linemen.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I'm definitly on board with drafting Kyle Long. He's gonna need a lot of work though, so I'm not sure how much we can expect to see of him for next year. But he has experience at both guard and Tackle and has huge potential.

Never thought I'd say this, but.......go Seahawks.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Not sure if any of you guys are following it, but so far in the forum mock I have...

1. Chance Warmack OG
1. Keenan Allen WR
2. Tony Jefferson S
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
What I am suggesting is that, in philosophy, he doesn't invest high picks on offensive linemen.
That's fine as a general philosophy, but it would seem to me that this might be the year to do it, considering the kind of first round OL talent that may be there.

If the Rams are sitting in the mid first and have a choice between, say, Lewan or Fisher or Warmack, I would hope Fisher wouldn't pass simply because of a personal preference for getting linemen later.

The only reason to pass in that situation is if you have someone at another position rated much better that you can't pass up.

Quote:
Not sure the Rams have that kind of money. Kevin Demoff has said we'll probably have somewhere around 10 million to spend in Free Agency. I think it'll be a little higher than that, more around 15 million after a few cuts (Mikell, Hunter)
Yeah, the more I'm hearing about the Rams' cap room for 2013, the less I'm liking it. Apparently one reason is that Demoff doesn't like to back load contracts, so the extensions Chris Long and James Laurinaitis signed this season didn't exactly save the team much money. At least that's how I remember it being described.

Quote:
The number one thing on the Rams checklist this offseason has got to be resigning William Hayes. He was a monster for us on that D-Line this year. He can play both end spots and Fisher loved kicking him inside, very very valuable to this team.
I'm wondering if some other team doesn't sign him to starter-type money. But yeah, I'd love to see him stay.

Quote:
I've gone back and forth on Amendola. I love the man, I love his attitude toward the game. If we can get him at a reasonable price, I'd love to have him back. But even if you do resign these three guys, that's going to take a big chunk of money you have away.
My thought process is this: we've seen this offense with Amendola, and it's not getting things done consistently. If we're going to have to pay Danny $30+ million to stay here, then IMO, we're better off paying more to get the legitimate #1 weapon that we've desperately needed rather than essentially maintain the status quo. Someone like Pettis or Givens or a rookie or cheaper vet could line up and be effective in the slot. Maybe not as effective as Danny, but probably effective enough, especially with a more legitimate #1 guy on the outside forcing defenses to keep an eye on him.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I don't understand why people look at past drafts to determine this one. Who cares if Fisher has never used a first round pick on a offensive lineman, that tells me nothing.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand why people look at past drafts to determine this one. Who cares if Fisher has never used a first round pick on a offensive lineman, that tells me nothing.
I don't understand how it can tell you nothing. Fisher is an experienced coach with a proven system for winning. That includes a draft philosophy. While there is nothing that says that Fisher won't draft a lineman in the 1st round, history would suggest otherwise. Especially considering we are talking nearly 20 drafts, there is some predictability there.

Parcells loved linebackers, and drafted them early and often. Ditka loved trench players, and sometimes took them earlier than they were projected with no fear or regret. Belichick loves 2nd round talent. Coaches develop trends based on what works for them.

I guess my question would be, why do you think that Fisher will suddenly use a 1st round pick on an offensive lineman when he never has in 17 drafts? There is a definite need there, but I also think that he isn't going to change his team-building philosophy because his line has yet to become solidified. And I think his results back his approach.
Closed Thread