Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Dion Jordan - DE/OLB - Oregon

Went back 7 pages and didn't see a thread about him, my apologies if this is a duplicate. Just wondering why many consider him a 1st round pick. Is it just his size and speed? I watched some tape on him and he just disappears. His block shedding is nonexistent against a single blocker, his technique is horrific as he just tries to run around blockers, and he doesn't have any playmaking abilities (forcing turnovers, batted balls, etc). Really could use some convincing on this guy.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People like his Size/Speed. Better athlete than player IMO
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM    (permalink
jared3
Rookie

jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree. Dion is a better athelete than a player. DE/LB Alex Okafor is the opposite. Better player on field than athlete.

If its me, I would take Okafor over Jordan.
jared3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To see what tape I'm referencing its this 2012 game against USC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdpzGUxkek4
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

bengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Production vs. measurables is always a tough determination. A guy like Aldon Smith only had 6 sacks his final year in college but has fantastic measurables and has been a stud in the pros. Some of the Alabama guys like Courtney Upshaw and others were great college players but didn't test well and haven't been great in the NFL.

The interesting DE test case for me this year will be John Simon. He was an absolute beast at OSU and has the best motor I've ever seen. But he has short arms and his frame won't allow him to put on more weight. Will he be swallowed up by NFL OTs or can he be a guy like Elvis Dumervil who is able to excel despite not having prototype physical traits?
bengalbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbuck View Post
Production vs. measurables is always a tough determination. A guy like Aldon Smith only had 6 sacks his final year in college but has fantastic measurables and has been a stud in the pros. Some of the Alabama guys like Courtney Upshaw and others were great college players but didn't test well and haven't been great in the NFL.
I don't like the Aldon Smith comparison because Aldon smith was a RS sophomore when he declared, so his techniques not being refined was excusable. Dion Jordan is a 5th year senior, he should have it together by now.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I don't like the Aldon Smith comparison because Aldon smith was a RS sophomore when he declared, so his techniques not being refined was excusable. Dion Jordan is a 5th year senior, he should have it together by now.
But he didn't play on Defense until after his RS Freshman year. He was a WR until then.

Its hard to tell how Dion is as a pass rusher, because he's almost never used as a pure pass rusher. He's moved around a LOT and is mostly their a guy to keep contain, is dropping from the Drop end spot, or covering the Slot or even outside receiver.

He's not as raw as people think. As a pass rusher he's rawer than most people think, but he's an awesome run defender and is plain and simple just relentless. He's got one of the best motors i've seen on a football field. He's got real heavy hands, and keeps leverage most plays despite being 6'6" or 6'7". But the best thing i've seen from him, is that he's the best backside run defender i've watched. He's consistently scraping down the line and making plays from backside persuit. I like him more than most.
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Pass rush >>> everything else really, especially to a team like the Jets that people have taking him 10th in mocks, we need the best pass rusher available, doesn't really matter how that player is against the run.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To see what tape I'm referencing its this 2012 game against USC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdpzGUxkek4
Just to give you some context: he left the previous game with an injured shoulder coming into that SC game, it was very questionable whether he was going to play or not. He did play but was certainly limited by it and eventually had to come out. He had to miss the following game vs. Cal with the same shoulder injury.

If you want to see him in a more flattering light (in a game where he was actually healthy) to figure out why people like him so much, check out this game.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Just to give you some context: he left the previous game with an injured shoulder coming into that SC game, it was very questionable whether he was going to play or not. He did play but was certainly limited by it and eventually had to come out. He had to miss the following game vs. Cal with the same shoulder injury.

If you want to see him in a more flattering light (in a game where he was actually healthy) to figure out why people like him so much, check out this game.

Just another thing to add. Dion is known around Oregon as a complete standup guy, but also as a very intense leader of the D. I've consistently seen him to go into a group that looks down and get everyone pumped up. Not a guy that is going to be Vontaze on the field, but he's an emotional leader of a D, and his motor definitely brings something more to a defense.

One of my friends is a OLB coach for Oregon (the position that Dion plays), and he told me he's talked to some scouts that have a top 10 grade on him. Again, hearing this from my friend, but he's not one to BS people in any way, and is definitely in the know.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

That's certainly much better, but he still is mostly trying to run around the tackle. He's going to the senior bowl I assume? I'd like to see him beat a solid OT in pass rush, I'm assuming the ASU guy he beat off the edge isn't an nfl prospect.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman57 View Post
Just another thing to add. Dion is known around Oregon as a complete standup guy, but also as a very intense leader of the D. I've consistently seen him to go into a group that looks down and get everyone pumped up. Not a guy that is going to be Vontaze on the field, but he's an emotional leader of a D, and his motor definitely brings something more to a defense.

One of my friends is a OLB coach for Oregon (the position that Dion plays), and he told me he's talked to some scouts that have a top 10 grade on him. Again, hearing this from my friend, but he's not one to BS people in any way, and is definitely in the know.
On a related note to the first thing you added...

Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In general I feel betting against raw, super athletic, and high motor DEs isn't smart. I'm not too impressed with his tape but I think he'll be a much improved player 1 or 2 years into the league, that upside warrants first round consideration from me at least. Between him, Ziggy, and Hunt, the DE class is really going to be interesting.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
In general I feel betting against raw, super athletic, and high motor DEs isn't smart. I'm not too impressed with his tape but I think he'll be a much improved player 1 or 2 years into the league, that upside warrants first round consideration from me at least. Between him, Ziggy, and Hunt, the DE class is really going to be interesting.
And thats not mentioning maybe even the most athletic of the class in Keke Mingo.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, for pass rushers, tools and motor are infinitely more important than college production.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's certainly much better, but he still is mostly trying to run around the tackle. He's going to the senior bowl I assume? I'd like to see him beat a solid OT in pass rush, I'm assuming the ASU guy he beat off the edge isn't an nfl prospect.
You're an idiot. You start a thread asking why people rate him highly, get told several legit reasons and then disregard them. It's pretty obvious that whatever you see or hear isn't going to change your opinion (which was based on one game), so why even ask the question in the first place?

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You're an idiot. You start a thread asking why people rate him highly, get told several legit reasons and then disregard them. It's pretty obvious that whatever you see or hear isn't going to change your opinion (which was based on one game), so why even ask the question in the first place?
So I can get told legit reasons why? How did I disregard them? I just stated my reservations based on the tape, and that I'd like to see him go against a solid LT and not just run around some scrub. How does that make me an idiot exactly?

Learn to read before you start calling people idiots, and try getting laid maybe you'll be a more pleasant person. Asshole.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It's called confirmation bias.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
It's called confirmation bias.
Not really, considering I didn't say anyone was wrong or disregard what anyone said. I simply stated what I saw in the tape and why I have reservations about the player, and why I'm not sold that he is a 1st round talent. At what point in this thread did I say 'you're wrong' or 'he isn't good' or 'he isn't going to be drafted that high' or anything even remotely concrete? I did not. I read other peoples thoughts and stated mine. And for that I am labeled an idiot and have a bias? Ok.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Not really, considering I didn't say anyone was wrong or disregard what anyone said. I simply stated what I saw in the tape and why I have reservations about the player, and why I'm not sold that he is a 1st round talent. At what point in this thread did I say 'you're wrong' or 'he isn't good' or 'he isn't going to be drafted that high' or anything even remotely concrete? I did not. I read other peoples thoughts and stated mine. And for that I am labeled an idiot and have a bias? Ok.
I was just telling him what the term was for that is called.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You've been asking "what's so good about him?"/"I don't think he's that good." for a while now in the Mock Draft forum. You obviously based your opinion off that one game. You watch him play a better game and learn he was injured in the game you saw him play bad, but you're still trying to find excuses as to why he isn't as good as people say he is. If it was a player you had hyped up with the same tape, you'd be singing his praises. That's the point.

RIP themaninblack
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
You've been asking "what's so good about him?"/"I don't think he's that good." for a while now in the Mock Draft forum. You obviously based your opinion off that one game. You watch him play a better game and learn he was injured in the game you saw him play bad, but you're still trying to find excuses as to why he isn't as good as people say he is. If it was a player you had hyped up with the same tape, you'd be singing his praises. That's the point.
I've been saying "I haven't seen any report saying he's a top 15 prospect" on the mock draft forum for a long time. I didn't know much about the guy and decided to look up some footage of him and didn't like what I saw. I understood that he has great size and speed, but that alone doesn't = top 10 pick, thus I made this thread. I got some good answers to my questions, but then you decided to call me an idiot for stating my reservations about the guy. Considering my team (the Jets) are one of the prime candidates to draft the guy if he is indeed a top 10 player, I'd like to know more about him and why he can or cannot succeed at the next level.

PS- Next time try not leading with "You're an idiot" it will make the rest of what you say carry more weight and make you seem like less of a buffoon.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I've been saying "I haven't seen any report saying he's a top 15 prospect" on the mock draft forum for a long time. I didn't know much about the guy and decided to look up some footage of him and didn't like what I saw. I understood that he has great size and speed, but that alone doesn't = top 10 pick, thus I made this thread. I got some good answers to my questions, but then you decided to call me an idiot for stating my reservations about the guy. Considering my team (the Jets) are one of the prime candidates to draft the guy if he is indeed a top 10 player, I'd like to know more about him and why he can or cannot succeed at the next level.

PS- Next time try not leading with "You're an idiot" it will make the rest of what you say carry more weight and make you seem like less of a buffoon.
Okay dude.

RIP themaninblack
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Dion Jordan had a couple nagging injuries that he had to fight through all season long. It was a testament to his relentlessness that he even played through these injuries. He clearly wasn't 100%.

To the point that Jordan is more raw that you (Robcards) would like, keep in mind this guy was almost entirely an offensive player in high school and was a TE for the Ducks until finally transitioning to defense full time just a couple years ago. And while he's been on defense, he has been absolutely moved around the entire defense, doing a lot of covering slot receivers and TEs and then the next play he will slide down into a 3-point stance to rush the passer. He hasn't had a lot of repetition doing just one thing.

And yet he still has been a very effective part of the Oregon defense. When he gets into the NFL and gets some serious reps in a specific scheme, Jordan will likely take off.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared3 View Post
Agree. Dion is a better athelete than a player. DE/LB Alex Okafor is the opposite. Better player on field than athlete.

If its me, I would take Okafor over Jordan.
Okafor only knows pass rush. Either his recognition skiills are ZERO, or for some reason he is coached to go upfield on every play. Texas was horrible in stopping the run for many reasons I'm sure, but Okafor was a big one. I like his slipperyness, hate the fact that he is so one dimensional.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote