Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Time to talk draft..........OL or DL. OR SAFETY..
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have varying degrees of needs.

We desperately need a guard and center, and an upgrade at safety (although how much do you want to bet we go in with Chruch and Sensy with no quality backups yet again in 2013). Those are dire needs, same as every year.

We need more quality depth on the DL and a replacement for Ratliff, a 2nd RB, and an upgrade over Austin. These I would put as secondary to the dire needs above.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
We have varying degrees of needs.

We desperately need a guard and center, and an upgrade at safety (although how much do you want to bet we go in with Chruch and Sensy with no quality backups yet again in 2013). Those are dire needs, same as every year.

We need more quality depth on the DL and a replacement for Ratliff, a 2nd RB, and an upgrade over Austin. These I would put as secondary to the dire needs above.
the safeties needing upgrading but adding a safety won't make the defense an elite defense. we need a gamewrecker in the middle at nt. if we add a disruptive player in the middle of the defense, that would make sean lee and bruce carter better so they dont have to avoid blockers and they make plays coming downhill and someone who can collapse the pocket and not allow qbs to step up and which will make ware and spencer easier which would mean they secondary doesnt have to cover nearly as long.

offensively we need help everywhere o-line and rb with some speed and better option at recievers other than just dez or witten. as much blame that goes on romo and it should, washington wouldnt have been able to blitz like they did if we had anybody else besides to dez to get open and make them pay for playing such a high risk defense
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have got to invest in the trenches. I think we need to sign one OL and one DL and draft 3 of the first 4 picks either OL or DL.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about Wingo or Knile out of Arkansas? For some reason, I would really like to go with size for our backup RB. Keep Dunbar and try to get him 2 or 3 touches a game. Then bring in someone like Wingo to pound the rock when Murray is out.

They both also catch the ball well.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thoughts on Geno Smith in the 1st round? Might be time to look to the future @ QB.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In case anyone was wondering we are locked into pick #18
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013

OL OR SAFETY. unless a DE/OLB falls
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

My first mock of players I like for cowboys.
1rd. Cooper, Womack, Mathews OL. OR
2rd. Elam, Jefferson.......or top rated center Frederick from Wisconsin
3rd. RB Bell or Barner, OC KALID HOLMES
4th. Brandon Williams. DT.

JUST FOR FUN.....USED OTHER SOURCES.....
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

Not Geno.......
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if anyone here follows Broaddus on twitter but he is really good about answering a ton of fan questions. Some interesting things he said over the last couple of days:

Mackenzy Bernadeau should get another look at Center, could battle Costa for the starting spot. Does not think Cook is resigned in the offseason.

Alex Albright has starting OLB talent, very good poa player. Not a dynamic pass rusher but is well rounded.

Would not take a safety in the first round regardless what safeties are still on the board.

Looking at the DL in the first round not OL.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I don't know if anyone here follows Broaddus on twitter but he is really good about answering a ton of fan questions. Some interesting things he said over the last couple of days:

Mackenzy Bernadeau should get another look at Center, could battle Costa for the starting spot. Does not think Cook is resigned in the offseason.

Alex Albright has starting OLB talent, very good poa player. Not a dynamic pass rusher but is well rounded.

Would not take a safety in the first round regardless what safeties are still on the board.

Looking at the DL in the first round not OL.
I'd say I have to agree w/him about our Safety situation. Due to Church's injury early in the season we didn't get a good look at him. I would like to address Safety in the 3rd round though.

As far as Bernadeau, I say give him a look in the preseason. But I think drafting someone or a FA is in store.

I don't agree with him about OL though. That is unless we address our G situation in FA.

DL, I have to agree with him though. We need both a NT and DE help in a MAJOR way!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I think you get more impact at DL in the first. Generally, impact DL are found far less in lower rounds than pretty much any position. I think we almost have to go DL in the first.

It would help if we could sign someone like Levitre in FA to take a bit of pressure off the OL in the draft.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I think you get more impact at DL in the first. Generally, impact DL are found far less in lower rounds than pretty much any position. I think we almost have to go DL in the first.

It would help if we could sign someone like Levitre in FA to take a bit of pressure off the OL in the draft.
I don't know how much noise we can make in free agency. I have to look up exact figures but I dont think we have a ton of wiggle room especially since we have the league imposed cap hold because of Austin's "illegal contract"
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I don't know how much noise we can make in free agency. I have to look up exact figures but I dont think we have a ton of wiggle room especially since we have the league imposed cap hold because of Austin's "illegal contract"
Yeah, I know we will be strapped, but I think we will be able to carve out enough room for one decent signing.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I know we will be strapped, but I think we will be able to carve out enough room for one decent signing.
I think it all depends on how much the team values Spencer, he could demand a pretty good payday. Brandon Carr can rework his deal and create up to 10.5 mil in space, same can be said for Romo when he gets extended. We will have some holes to fill in reserve spots as well. I think guys like Frampton and Sims can be resigned for cheap and someone like Connor could get the axe.

It will be interesting to see what the front office has in plan for Free, he makes far to much money to ride the bench but if cut he accounts for 7 mil of dead money next year.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how it's the same conversation every year. We refuse to address the most dire needs of our franchise (interior line and safety) in rd 1 because "the value isn't there". So then we "address" the situation by signing mediocre to crap talent and pretend we go into the draft with no needs.

Safety/Guard or Guard/Safety, get it fixed, unless someone really special along the DL drops to you at 18.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I love how it's the same conversation every year. We refuse to address the most dire needs of our franchise (interior line and safety) in rd 1 because "the value isn't there". So then we "address" the situation by signing mediocre to crap talent and pretend we go into the draft with no needs.

Safety/Guard or Guard/Safety, get it fixed, unless someone really special along the DL drops to you at 18.
The problem is that it is completely possible to find good talent in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds when it comes to ther interior line our scouting department just seems to repeatedly strike out. Im not sure what criteria they use to evaluate the lineman but it always looks like they reach for guys who simply don't have the physical tools to compete at the next level.

I agree with Broaddus and some others who believe that we can probably groom Bernadeu to play center. He has good stength and can be an asset against 3-4 teams with his ability to single block the nose tackle. Livings was actually better then advertised, LT is locked in, and the RT will either be Free or Parnell. That leaves RG as a big whole and we would either need a FA or someone who is plug and play ready in the draft.

Safety is not going to get addressed early imo. The team likes Sensabaugh and Church is going to get another swing as SS. I think an interesting pick would be Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse in the third round, he is undersized but has great athleticism and always finds his way around the ball.

This defense needs an impact player in the worst way to take the unit to the next level. I would perfer a two gap NT to help collapse the pocket, which there is plenty of with 1st round grades, but I wouldn't sleep on someone like Ezekiel Ansah at 5-tech.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a little behind but what are some names people are thinking about at this stage? Whether it be NT or S or even OL?

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I've seen two mocks with us taking Warmack. I would be good with that.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
I'm a little behind but what are some names people are thinking about at this stage? Whether it be NT or S or even OL?
This is actually a very good year for NT and there is a variety of different athletes. Jonathan Hankins, Sylvester Williams, Johnathan Jenkins, Jesse Williams and Kawann Short could all be top 50 picks.

As for safeties Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Reid lead the class, Matt Elam is a guy who could raise into the 1st round. Converted corners in Xavier Rhodes and David Amerson could also be options for FS.

Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper at the two best guards in the draft and should be 1st rounders. Barrett Jones has a wide range for C/G and could go from the 1st to late 2nd. Larry Warford is viewed as a solid second round mauler and a sleeper is Kyle Long of Oregon.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 01-02-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I've seen two mocks with us taking Warmack. I would be good with that.
I'd be stoked with Warmack, but I'm not sure if he'll be available @ 18.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the forum mock I took Cooper at 18 and felt great about it. Warmack went 16 to the Rams. Personally, I think Cooper is a better fit for us anyways. He fits the new school NFL. Warmack is more suited for the old school. I think we can do more with Cooper, especially on the move. He's a freak of an athlete like Tyron.

I think we could keep Cooper at LG where he's comfortable playing and put Livings at RG. Smith and Cooper can man the left side of our line for their entire careers! I love that thought.

I tried trading down to get some draft value, but teams weren't really interested in moving up to 18 and having to give up a pick. The value of the players in that range aren't significantly different. An early 2nd rounder can fill the needs similar to that of a mid 1st rounder.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
In the forum mock I took Cooper at 18 and felt great about it. Warmack went 16 to the Rams. Personally, I think Cooper is a better fit for us anyways. He fits the new school NFL. Warmack is more suited for the old school. I think we can do more with Cooper, especially on the move. He's a freak of an athlete like Tyron.

I think we could keep Cooper at LG where he's comfortable playing and put Livings at RG. Smith and Cooper can man the left side of our line for their entire careers! I love that thought.

I tried trading down to get some draft value, but teams weren't really interested in moving up to 18 and having to give up a pick. The value of the players in that range aren't significantly different. An early 2nd rounder can fill the needs similar to that of a mid 1st rounder.
Cooper was a good pick, I'd be very satisfied with him in the first.

However, I'm not a big fan of Barrett Jones and trading up to nab him while a safety like Reid is sitting there is not what I'd have done.

I get it though, i know you're high on him... But I'd be pretty frustrated if the team passed up an opportunity like that to finally fix the safety position.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I haven't really started looking at anyone yet, but I agree with this so far. Seems weak at the top, but pretty thick with decent talent into the second/third

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote