Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who gets your vote for Rookie of the Year right now?
Robert Griffin 55 37.93%
Andrew Luck 56 38.62%
Russell Wilson 34 23.45%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
1. RGIII
2. Russel Wilson
3. Andrew Luck

I do think Luck will have the best career though.
THIS all the way around.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My final vote:

1) RGIII
2) Russell Wilson
3) Andrew Luck
4) Glen Coffee
5) Alfred Morris
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't sure where to post this but apparently Trent Richardson played 9 games this year with broken ribs. Damn.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...es-broken-ribs
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
No - it hurts your chance when you have a stud RB that carried the team to the playoffs last night.
One game >>>> every other game RG3 has carried this team. Got it.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Let's compare Griffin's first game starting vs the worst defense in NFL history vs Cousins first start against the Browns. People like to gloss over these things. I agree Griffin had a very good rookie year but what Luck did with less of a supporting cast is being severely underrated.
Yes let's use that awesome sample size to make any sort of rational decision about anything.

Same goes for RG3's worst game happening to be Almo's best. Yep he's much more valuable than Griff.

Christ almighty.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RG3 sucks. Luck is the ROTY. Hands down.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i don't really disagree with your main point, but i think this is disingenuous. shanahan running backs typically *can't* just plug into anyone else's rushing attack with the same effectiveness, because he drafts players who fit his system well. i'm sure, as a redskins fan, you vividly remember how different portis was for you than he was in denver, and that's not even going to guys like olandis gary who were basically out of the nfl after leaving shanahan's offense. i'd bet that alfred morris was a 1000+ yard back with cousins OR rg3 starting this year, in that system. whether he was a 1600 yard back is certainly up for debate (or could be).
I think you guys are agreeing to a point.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
One game >>>> every other game RG3 has carried this team. Got it.
Except the two games that cousins won.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get that RG3 is helping the run game, however it is not because he is doing anything revolutionary. Defending the run is a pure numbers game.

On most "pro style" running plays the offense are trying to block 11 guys with 9. Obviously the RB doesn't block anyone and seldom does the QB do anything but handoff and get out of the way.

However what Griffin forces teams to do is use one of their defenders to play contain on him.

What the zone read play does is it forces the play side end to make a decision that quite frankly he seldom has to make since this offense is not frequently used in the NFL.

So what that one play has done is cut it down from trying to block 11 with 9 to trying to block 9 with 9, with say the back side end containing Griffin and watching for cut backs and the front side end being unblocked and manipulated by the pitch.

But as I was saying this isn't some crazy made up scheme from the Shanahan's. This has been around for years, however no teams were willing to put their QB through all the hits that he could take. But it is happening all over the NFL now.

Watch how the Patriots defended the 49ers run game a few weeks ago. Kaepernick was able to manipulate the fronts he seen by doing exactly the same thing that Griffin did.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just posted over at ESPN, nice look at the OVERALL PRODUCTION of each of the 3 QBs.
Doesn't show highlights, glamour, money maid, draft postions, supporting casts, what quarter or half of game their stuff happened, etc. Just shows WHAT THEY DID.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...son-and-rg-iii

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 01-01-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Griffin and the Skins are 10-6, not 9-6.
Little hating over there at ESPN.

Absent draft position, hype, name recognition, or the fact that one of these guys plays for the team I've rooted for since forever, no QB has played better the last half of the season than Russell Wilson.

If you want to do a granular statistical analysis, RG3 is going to come out ahead in most categories.

However the Colts still won 11 games because of Luck, not in spite of him. He was still good enough to outplay his own mistakes which most rookie or veteran QBs simply cannot do.

The easy pick is Luck, but the right pick is probably Russell Wilson.
Flacco and Roethlisberger played on good teams as rookies too, and they didn't come close to the level of production that Russell Wilson has had.
Wilson isn't a game manager for the Seahawks, Carroll expects the kid to be able to make plays to win games.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is each candidate's signature win?

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
What is each candidate's signature win?
Luck beat GB and Houston. Wilson beat SF and the Pats. I don't think RG3 has one. He was a consistent performer, but he's never beaten a team the Skins were expected to lose to, or defeated one the league or conference's elite teams.

Robert still did lead the Skins on a 7 game winning streak, but even that is marred by Cousins in coming for relief in the Ravens game and playing the entire Browns game.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 01-01-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Griffin's Signature win may have been the opener at Drew Brees and the Saints.

Doesn't matter what week it was really as a W in September counts as much as a W in December in the long run.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Luck beat GB and Houston. Wilson beat SF and the Pats. I don't think RG3 has one. He was a consistent performer, but he's never beaten a team the Skins were expected to lose to, or defeated one the league or conference's elite teams.

Robert still did lead the Skins on a 7 game winning streak, but even that is marred by Cousins coming for relief in the Ravens game and playing the entire Browns game.
He beat the Giants at home in a must win, set up the go ahead TD And was flawless in the time killing drive. Came back against the Giants converting multiple 4th down conversions (D lost that one). How about him coming back in after that Nata Hit and driving us down the field?

I guess the 7 game winning streak he went on to make the playoffs don't classify as one game, but to rise to the level he has over that one and done stretch is nothing short of miracullous. Especially putting up the QBR and limiting turnovers. I know he had some help from Morris and the D played some good games as well as cousins coming in for relief. I actually believe RG3's QBR is the best ever for a rookie and 17th all time. Pretty good for a rook.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
He beat the Giants at home in a must win, set up the go ahead TD And was flawless in the time killing drive. Came back against the Giants converting multiple 4th down conversions (D lost that one). How about him coming back in after that Nata Hit and driving us down the field?

I guess the 7 game winning streak he went on to make the playoffs don't classify as one game, but to rise to the level he has over that one and done stretch is nothing short of miracullous. Especially putting up the QBR and limiting turnovers. I know he had some help from Morris and the D played some good games as well as cousins coming in for relief. I actually believe RG3's QBR is the best ever for a rookie and 17th all time. Pretty good for a rook.
QBR is one of the worst barometers of QB play imaginable. If I can throw my team all the way to the one yard line and the RB punches it in it somehow counts against me? Likewise if JJ Watt is coming full steam ahead at me it benefits my QBR to take a sack rather than throw the football away. QBR points go up but the team goes backwards??? How does that work?

Ben Roethlisberger is a great example of someone who has an over inflated QBR. Seldom does he throw the ball away. He is responsible for so many bad (and good) plays because instead of living to fight another day and throwing it away he extends plays and is often sacked. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning also take less sacks because they are not afraid to throw it away as the worst that can happen is an incompletion.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is RG3's signature moment to beat the Vikings in a game where he literally had to do everything himself:

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Signature wins, not signature moment.

RG3's best signature moment IMO was when he converted 4th and 13(?) against the Giants.

RG3 has a boatload of highlight plays, but that singular win against a superior opponent is lacking. He might have had it if he'd finished the Ravens game.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Atlanta is the only "elite" team that he even played this year so not really fair to say he didn't have elite wins. It was 10-7 Skins lead when RG3 was knocked out of the game and then Cousins went in to throw 2 INT's.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
xjxdarren
Rookie

xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xjxdarren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the most pretentious statement in the young 2013. You thought Cousins didn't at one point get the lead for the Skins in that game? You phrased it as if BG3 built a monumental and insurmountable 25 point lead before leaving the game and Cousins shamefully coughed it up by himself.

Falcons didn't play their best that day, but they WON that game hands down.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Well Atlanta is the only "elite" team that he even played this year so not really fair to say he didn't have elite wins. It was 10-7 Skins lead when RG3 was knocked out of the game and then Cousins went in to throw 2 INT's.
It's just another stat category. RG3 has been awesome all season long.
No other rookie QB won their division except RG3.

Washington was picked to finish last in the NFCE in a division with the defending SB champs and two other strong playoff contenders. Robert played his best against divisional opponents, I'll take that all day.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFCE was not and is not some crazy elite division this year. Its a stretch to call the Cowboys and Eagles strong playoff contenders. The Giants were the defending SB champion but they didn't even make the playoffs. It isn't the easiest division, but its not a murderers row. I understand that it is very competitive but almost every divisional game is.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mobile View Post
NFCE was not and is not some crazy elite division this year. Its a stretch to call the Cowboys and Eagles strong playoff contenders. The Giants were the defending SB champion but they didn't even make the playoffs. It isn't the easiest division, but its not a murderers row. I understand that it is very competitive but almost every divisional game is.
I'm talking about before the start of the season. THat's why I don't count the victories over the Giants and Cowboys as great wins because they weren't playoff teams.

As improbable as it was for the Colts to win 11 games and make the playoffs, it was equally if not more unlikely for the Skins to win the NFCE.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this but apparently Trent Richardson played 9 games this year with broken ribs. Damn.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...es-broken-ribs
With his stats, draft position and the state of the team he went to, not to mention beginning his career without a lot of media praise at first, there's a lot about Trent Richardson's rookie year that makes me think of LaDanian Tomlinson.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Doug Martin?

Sig by, Hitman D
Closed Thread