Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JT's power is not the issue. He certainly has the power to KO Winky, but he probably cant get through the defense. With Winky, he probably doesnt have the power, but could get it stopped with an accumulation of shots. Thats how I see it anyway. And, I thyink comparing this with a Mayweather fight is a little bit of a strech. Mayweather is far more exciting if you ask me. Thats just my opinion though. I think that you will have to really know boxing to enjoy a Winky fight, while most can enjoy a Mayweather fight regardless of their boxing IQ.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:05 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schubert
JT's power is not the issue. He certainly has the power to KO Winky, but he probably cant get through the defense. With Winky, he probably doesnt have the power, but could get it stopped with an accumulation of shots. Thats how I see it anyway. And, I thyink comparing this with a Mayweather fight is a little bit of a strech. Mayweather is far more exciting if you ask me. Thats just my opinion though. I think that you will have to really know boxing to enjoy a Winky fight, while most can enjoy a Mayweather fight regardless of their boxing IQ.
You may be correct in saying that because Mayweather is not shy about trading blows. To be perfectly honest I may not have seen enough of Winky to make a surefire call on the kind of fighter he is.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21335
Quote:
You may be correct in saying that because Mayweather is not shy about trading blows. To be perfectly honest I may not have seen enough of Winky to make a surefire call on the kind of fighter he is.
The thing about Matweather is that he is tactical, but it is exciting because he is so fast and actually has underrated power. If you see a guy landing every blow of 5 punch combo, you will be excited, Winky and Jermain dont throw those types of combos. Jermain can be exciting, if he can hit the guy clean because he does have powert, but I still am not convinced he gets to winky. When he punches, I think he will hit all leather.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The thing about Matweather is that he is tactical, but it is exciting because he is so fast and actually has underrated power. If you see a guy landing every blow of 5 punch combo, you will be excited, Winky and Jermain dont throw those types of combos. Jermain can be exciting, if he can hit the guy clean because he does have powert, but I still am not convinced he gets to winky. When he punches, I think he will hit all leather.

I don't think so. I think that defense can be penetrated by alternating from hooks to the body to straights to the head.

I'm still not sure though, Winky's jab can break you down. I just watched the 30 minue HYPE thingy on HBO OnDemand, it was good and I suggest you watch it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I love the HBO documenteries. Legendary Nights is my favorite and I always watch the countdown shows. Anyway, that one is on tonight at 11:30 and I will be watching it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 PM    (permalink

Does the fight start at 10? or 9? eastern naturtally.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I think it starts at 9:30, not positive though. The actual fight probably wont be on until 10:30 though because they are reairing the hopkins fight and will probably do a 10 or 15 min spot on Winky or Taylors training.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

bump, we cant have this falling into page 2 haha
Old 06-14-2006, 09:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets go Wright!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I will make my selection of Winky Wright official. I think his defense will frustrate Taylor all night, and his jab will dominate. Winky on points
Old 06-16-2006, 03:18 AM    (permalink
r0bz56
Rookie

r0bz56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Winky has a good defense, but so did Hopkins when Taylor fought him. And even though I don't think Taylor one either fight it was close enough for the judge. And 2 fights with a great fighter Like Benard only made him better. Winky looked like crap in his last fight and nearly lost. Im going with Taylor by Decision or late stoppage.
r0bz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:06 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bz56
Winky has a good defense, but so did Hopkins when Taylor fought him. And even though I don't think Taylor one either fight it was close enough for the judge. And 2 fights with a great fighter Like Benard only made him better. Winky looked like crap in his last fight and nearly lost. Im going with Taylor by Decision or late stoppage.
Just thought I'd throw in really quick that Winky's last fight was against wats his name, that dude who throws like 100 punches every single round. Pretty much nobody looks good against him.

I'm withholding my official prediction until I have more time to type it out. Now it's time to go deposit my paycheck.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:15 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor has more power then Wright, I think he should win.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:28 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor's making a nice comeback in the poll
I stand by y
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 PM    (permalink

First let me say, respond to this topic by posting here:
http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/v...23651&start=75

I just wanted to make sure everyone had an oppurtunity to see this topic that would not have seen it otherwise. My hope is that I can sway a few people into watching the fight that had not originally planned to.

The Hype.

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/200...fightweek.html
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/200...ale/index.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=2487014
Winky
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/200...ry_borges.html
Taylor
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/200..._gottlieb.html

Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor (25-0, 17 KOs) VS Ronald "Winky" Wright (50-3, 25 KOs) is a hugely anticipated bout that we as fans are fortunate enough to have on HBO instead of PPV.

Wright is widely considered the #2 Pound for Pound fighter in the entire sport (behind Floyd Mayweather Jr). He has taken a long and unique route to stardom. Early in his career he decided to forgoe the olympics and go pro without the benefit of it's exposure. It turned out to be ulitimately a poor decision. With no support early in Wright's career, he was forced to take his act over seas where he dominated every up and coming star in Germany with his in-penetrable defense and his demoralizing jab.
Finally, after defeating just about everybody with any sort of future across seas, Wright came back home to fight up and coming super star, Fernando Vargas.
Wright dominated throughout the bout and showed a style noone expected, he came foward and traded with Vargas, imposing his will with his jab. Vargas was supposed defeated easily by everyone ringside, everyone that is, besides the crooked judges. The judges awarded Vargas the decision in what could probably be considered the lowest point of Wrights career.
Unfazed, Wright continued to rack up legit wins until one day, a cocky but brilliant middleweight, after being advised against it, came knocking down Wright's door. P4P champ Mosely challenged Wright, the one fighter most supposed Mosely should steer clear of because it was impossible to look good against him.
Wright, in the biggest challenge of his career, beat down and frustrated Mosely in route to taking the unanimous decision in a shocker over Mosely.
With the boxing world in an uproar, the rematch was quickly held, and yet again Wright won handily.
With Wright's star soaring he later took on aging superstar Felix Trinidad. In a career defining fight, Wright Shutout Trinidad.

Finally Wright is in the eye of the public and is preparing for a fight that would ceal his legacy as a HOF calibur Middleweight.

Jermaine Taylor on the other hand has taken a completely different route to stardom. He was a member of the famed 2000 olympic class and was perhaps the most highly regarded fighter in the class. He was already on the fast track to stardom and was quickly offered a deal with HBO. HBO showcased Taylors skills and atheleticism, it was clear he had super star potential. After quickly racking up an impressive string of fights that led him to having a 23-0, 17 KO's record, Taylor made clear after his fight on HBO that he wanted Hopkins, the long reigning and unquestioned King of the Middleweight division.
Ordinarily a fighter with only 23 pro fights would not have a chance to fight a legend like Hopkins for his belts and his crown. However, Taylor was not an ordinary case. With his television exposure and his obvious skills the buzz of a showdown between the Legend and the young gunslinger was quickly arranged.
In by far the biggest fight of Taylors career he marched to the ring to the tune of Phil Collins' legendary tune, "In The Air Tonight". Talor won that showdown in a contreversial split decision in which he won the early rounds but was handled in the late rounds by the experience of Hopkins. Hopkins was bitter and so were many fans. A rematch was made.
Taylor, once again, stepped up to the plate and proved that he was in fact, not all hype. He beat Hopkins again, this time in a close, but unquestioned decision. He had ended the kings reign.

After these two huge victories there was one man left on the Middleweight horizon that challened his superiority. That man was Ronald "Winky" Wright.

After the two biggest fights of his life, Taylor, never afraid of a challenge, set up his next fight with the one man many said he should have avoided.

The fight airs on 9:30 eastern on HBO. It will probably be aired after a replay of the Hopkins vs Tarver bout that made Taylors win over Hopkins even more impressive.

My Prediction and Analysis.

It took me a while, but I've finally decided I'm taking Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor in a unanimous decision, or late TKO, over Ronald "Winky" Wright. Wrights fortey is a demoralizing jab and an inpenetrable defense. I believe with Taylors training from HOF'r Emanuel Wright, Taylor will finally conquers Winky's defense.
When Winky goes into his shell, he leaves himself open to the outside of his body to big looping body punches. I think if Taylor can pound the outside part of Winky's ribs and and sides early, he will break down Winky's D.
Winky's jab, is also nuetralized by Taylor's Super long reach of 78" compared to Winky's 72".
Taylor also has Superstar qualitys. When someone has the skills and athelticsm of a superstar, and has the ability to step up in the clutch, it is a trait that should not be overlooked. Taylor was fearless in his second fight against Hopkins, and made the King of Boring Ass Fights fight an enertaining bout.
Taylor is also younger and stronger.

Taylor by unanimous decision or late TKO.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM    (permalink

Can you believe some stupid college baseball game is on instead of Peterson!?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree college baseball is the epitome of boredom, but who is Peterson. A FNF card im assuming, juts dont know who youre talking about
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Anthony and LaMont Peterson are two brothers who are really good prospects and they have a great story too. Dont really have time to elaborate, maybe ill post in the morn..
Old 06-17-2006, 11:43 AM    (permalink

Another quick article here on the big fight.
http://www.fightnews.com/katz11.htm

I didn't catch the Peterson fight last night, but when I came in later I saw on espn.com that he won in a unanimous decision.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peterson is so annoying, he goes "pop, pop" everytime he punches

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:00 PM    (permalink

You guys are going to fall over. I've been hyping up this fight for how long now, and I'm so pumped for it and all... but i'm cancelling the plans to go watch it to go on a double date with a girl.

I guess in the end it came down to this: ***** > Boxing

If you're ashamed of me you should be, because I'm ashamed of myself. But, in truth, each and every one of you would've done the same thing.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
You guys are going to fall over. I've been hyping up this fight for how long now, and I'm so pumped for it and all... but i'm cancelling the plans to go watch it to go on a double date with a girl.

I guess in the end it came down to this: *********** > Boxing

If you're ashamed of me you should be, because I'm ashamed of myself. But, in truth, each and every one of you would've done the same thing.
Catch it on HBO West later or HBO 2 in the morning
Old 06-18-2006, 08:25 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A very close fight. I think Winky has a case as he looked more impressive but only by a small margin. Taylor's jab was non-existant, which is a surprise to me, but ESPN say it's because he was fighting a south-paw.

Neither Winky's nor Taylor's camp wants a rematch, which is a HUGE disappointment to me. I'm a fan of both of these fighters and want to see who the better one is, as this fight didn't prove anything.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

i scored the fight 114-114. I will elaborate later, as I have to go to a fathers day party now. But, I will say this, JT has abandoned his jab in his last 3 fights and that is what makes him a potential ALL TIME GREAT. I have the upmost respect for JT. Granted they were all close, but to draw Winky, and beat Hopkins 2 times, in a row as essentially a raw talent, WOW! I want to see what Steward can do, but this kid is damn good. Same for Winky, but I think we all know that #2 p4p and he deserves to be
Old 06-18-2006, 10:00 AM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

winky won 115-113 on my card