Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

THis thread piqued my interest in the first place because you said Helu wasn't a threat to take it the distance.
Check out Helu's runs at 00:34, 1:34,1:48, 2:08, 3:40 and 7:30.

You can argue if you want that Burkhead is a better pure RB than Helu, but not when it comes to flatout speed.

Scouts questioned Helu's long speed before the combine, but the speed seen on film was confirmed at Indy. When the guy got into the secondary, he was rarely if ever caught.

Rozier was one of the first college RBs to break the 2K barrier. Rushing for over 2100 yards at 8 yards a pop, IMO he was the most dominant player in college football for a two year span,('82-'83). Yes there were other superstars in the college game, but IMO Rozier shone the brightest.

There may be similarities between the two, but in all seriousness I doubt the gameplan of most Nebraska opponents is to stop Burkhead.

You must think Burkhead is going to be a Heisman finalist in 2012, barring injury.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

having a few big runs when there is good blocking and defenders reading the play wrong/out of position doesn't mean squat. I give him props for making those plays but it doesn't mean that it will translate to the NFL. If you watched him every game you could tell that his homerun speed would not translate to the NFL, and it hasn't. He has above average speed, but its not anything to write home about.

Why wouldn't teams gameplan to stop Burkhead, he is who the team runs through, he lines up in multiple spots including qb. Martinez isn't the running threat he was in 2010, Burkhead had like 284 carries last year, yes, I am sure defensive coordinators just ignored him when looking at the game film thinking "yeah we can deal with him carving out 4 to 5 yards a pop, the main guy who moves the chains" Martinez can't stretch the field, they don't have any wideouts to do that, He had 2 throws over 40 yards when they started playing big 10 competition. one against Minnesota and one against OSU where he completed 39 percent ofh is passes, yeah that sure is going to move defenders away from the los. At least in 2010 he was a threat to take it the distance and teams had to respect that on the option, that was no longer the case last year.

Yes I think he has a shot to be a Heisman finalist, definitely a candidate for the Doak Walker award. Martinez has to step it up as a passer, he just has to manage the game better. Most ratings have him right behind Montee Ball and Lattimore. Too bad he doesn't have the gigantic holes that Ball gets.
batsandgats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
having a few big runs when there is good blocking and defenders reading the play wrong/out of position doesn't mean squat. I give him props for making those plays but it doesn't mean that it will translate to the NFL. If you watched him every game you could tell that his homerun speed would not translate to the NFL, and it hasn't. He has above average speed, but its not anything to write home about.

Why wouldn't teams gameplan to stop Burkhead, he is who the team runs through, he lines up in multiple spots including qb. Martinez isn't the running threat he was in 2010, Burkhead had like 284 carries last year, yes, I am sure defensive coordinators just ignored him when looking at the game film thinking "yeah we can deal with him carving out 4 to 5 yards a pop, the main guy who moves the chains" Martinez can't stretch the field, they don't have any wideouts to do that, He had 2 throws over 40 yards when they started playing big 10 competition. one against Minnesota and one against OSU where he completed 39 percent ofh is passes, yeah that sure is going to move defenders away from the los. At least in 2010 he was a threat to take it the distance and teams had to respect that on the option, that was no longer the case last year.

Yes I think he has a shot to be a Heisman finalist, definitely a candidate for the Doak Walker award. Martinez has to step it up as a passer, he just has to manage the game better. Most ratings have him right behind Montee Ball and Lattimore. Too bad he doesn't have the gigantic holes that Ball gets.
I don't know. Some might argue that having a few big runs with good blocking and out-of-position defenders is one of the RBs primary jobs. There have been thousands of NFL RBs who couldn't do it to save their careers.

Helu will probably never be an All-Pro, but the truth is that the vast majority of NFL RBs will never have a season as good as he had last season. Most of them "show flashes" during the preseason and maybe hang around as third-down backs, but they never do anything substantial as runners.

Last edited by WCH : 07-12-2012 at 12:52 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

THe Redskins offense was anemic last season and if you're judging Helu's pro upside by his rookie season learning to run the stretch play in Shanny's ZBS, you're missing the big picture. Helu is the most explosive RB on the Skins roster and he just needs to stay healthy and gain more experience.

Watch what kind of runs open up for Helu with RGIII in the same backfield. Helu's long speed is still there, if he can get through the trash at the LOS he's gone.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
THe Redskins offense was anemic last season and if you're judging Helu's pro upside by his rookie season learning to run the stretch play in Shanny's ZBS, you're missing the big picture. Helu is the most explosive RB on the Skins roster and he just needs to stay healthy and gain more experience.

Watch what kind of runs open up for Helu with RGIII in the same backfield. Helu's long speed is still there, if he can get through the trash at the LOS he's gone.
yeah it turns out the guy with 4.67 speed was the more explosive guy and the go to guy, and didn't have any problem adjusting to Shanahan's zbs running the stretch play, out of the pistol no less which is a little different because of where you get the hand off, doesn't have the homerun speed but has a great burst and hits the hole with authority, his first 10 to 20 yards are explosive. Yeah Helu was put on IR but he was beat out way before that.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVonDy85 View Post
He reminds me of a poor mans Emmit Smith. I think he should declare. He has nothing left to prove at the college level. His draft status won't rise any by staying and his body already took a pounding this year. All he needs to do is run a 4.55 forty or better and he should be a 4th round draft pick. Hopefully people can see past his race but I doubt it.
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing watching the game today.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
yeah it turns out the guy with 4.67 speed was the more explosive guy and the go to guy, and didn't have any problem adjusting to Shanahan's zbs running the stretch play, out of the pistol no less which is a little different because of where you get the hand off, doesn't have the homerun speed but has a great burst and hits the hole with authority, his first 10 to 20 yards are explosive. Yeah Helu was put on IR but he was beat out way before that.
Yeah, well running the stretch out of the pistol (with Griffin the QB) makes it tons easier for RBs as the DEs and LBs will not pursue down the line to keep the QB from getting outside. Morris is still pretty darn good, but a ton of his production comes from Griffin being such a huge threat to keep.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beanie Wells, I see it in him.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Get a scouting report on Helu AFTER the combine in 2011. The dude busted out an electronic 4.42 at 219#. I'm not saying Helu is a future pro bowler, but IMO his physical tools are much better than Burkhead's.

I just don't see Mike Rozier when I watch Burkhead. In his time, Rozier was cross between Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett. Yeah he busted in the pros, but as a pro prospect he looked like a future HOFer.

I honestly have never seen any Dorsett in Rozier. Marcus Allen, absolutely, probably Tiki Barber too, but Rozier was the ultimate plodder, a guy that could gear down and tiptoe or pick his way through the hole and avoid a big hit and get you a solid gain even if nothing was there... but he could also get you a solid gain if another RB would've broken it.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
I honestly have never seen any Dorsett in Rozier. Marcus Allen, absolutely, probably Tiki Barber too, but Rozier was the ultimate plodder, a guy that could gear down and tiptoe or pick his way through the hole and avoid a big hit and get you a solid gain even if nothing was there... but he could also get you a solid gain if another RB would've broken it.
The comparison was as collegians.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The comparison was as collegians.
I had a good memory of Rozier not being a bust. When Jerry Glanville started him on a snowy day with teh playoffs on the line.. and Glanville started him beause he had the largest shoe size... then I remembered that was Lorenzo White... who kind of reminded me of Rozier anyways. I think Rozier made a couple of Pro Bowls.l... and if I'm not mistaken he is likely the all-time leading rusher for one professional team, the Jacksonville Bulls...or was it the Maulers? Maybe both.

I think maybe Rozier reminded you of Dorsett because halways wore those silly half shirts... haha
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Beanie Wells, I see it in him.
That's an insult to Burkhead. Burkhead can do everything - pass block, run and catch the ball - he is an all purpose back. Wells has shown to be a 2 down back with no versatility and does not run as hard as a 230 lb RB should run.

IMO Burkhead is a better Ryan Matthews but won't receive any of that hype Mathews did. Just a really good all purpose back - his stock should really go up during the next few months - with all the exotic spread formations being run at the pro level Burkhead would fit perfectly due to his all around versatility.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

It's also an insult because many questioned Well's toughness, that he didn't know the difference between pain and injury, Burkhead has played through pain and even tried to play through injury which probably set him back this year in recovering by trying to come back too soon, some questioned Well's passion for the game.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I Love Rex and he will always be a Husker, I said earlier in this thread that he will be a guy that plays a long time in the NFL. He might never be Elite but should be really good for a long time, he just goes out and plays ball.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he is very good...I look forward to seeing him in the EW Shrine game and think he can be a good RB on the next level.
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote