Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
elway=goat
Rookie

elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bill Belichick on Champ Bailey...

Was just doing some searches last night, came across this article, its from October but its an interesting read so I figured I was post it for some who hadn't seen it. Belichick never has anything meaningful to say, so it was interesting seeing him go in depth on Champ. I have thought Champ has been the best most complete corner ever for awhile now. I know Sanders was the better player with the ball in his hands, but I think Champ is the better all around player. It's just a shame he was robbed of 2 defensive player of the year awards.

What's also impressive is that he has done this in a league, currently, that gives all the advantage to the offense.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...cwest&id=49455

Quote:
“To me, he’s one of the few corners in the league that really can match up against anybody. He matches up against the Andre Johnsons of the world, the big, strong, physical, fast guys. Then he’ll match up against quick, real good route running, quick receivers, guys like that, too. [It] doesn’t really make any difference. You can watch him match up against whoever they want to put him on, whether it’s Mike Wallace or whether it’s Calvin Johnson, through the years; I’m not just talking about this year.

"At times, he’s been on tight ends, like when he would be on ( Tony) Gonzalez back in the day and things like that. So, I think he’s really capable of being physical and standing in there and banging with the big guys. He’s got enough quickness and length with the little guys to match their quickness and give them a problem and stay with them, or if he gets his hands on them and jams them, he can destroy the route right off the bat. He’s a very instinctive player, so he has a good sense of what the guy is trying to do and what their tendencies are and things like that. He’s on a lot of routes just because he’s experienced and he’s smart. I think he can cover, I’d say there aren’t too many corners in the league – it would be hard to think of who the next one would be – who like him could match up as well against any type of receiver. Some guys do well against some type of players and have a little trouble with another type of guy. It looks like to me like he does a pretty good job against anybody – on whoever the other team’s best receiver is, if they want to match him up, which sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. They don’t always match him but at times they will.

"He can match them or not match them or he can take whoever comes out and do a pretty good job with it. Man, zone, he’s a good Cover-2 corner, he’s a good one-on-one corner, he’s a good zone corner, tackles well, he’s a good run-force corner, he’s pretty much a prototype corner in terms of having a full set of skills. Does everything well, plays the ball well, very good hands, but he’s a strong tackler and a good run-force player, too.”

"This one's for John" Pat Bowlen

Last edited by elway=goat : 01-01-2013 at 07:45 PM.
elway=goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not related to Champ, but I like this BB interview: http://patspropaganda.com/post/61110...coast-offenses

He talks about Paul Brown and the WCO, the Air Coryell and Joe Gibbs, and the propagation of offensive systems throughout the NFL. Interesting stuff. If he ever writes a book about football, I'll read it.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Triple post. Wish I never made this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Dan Snyder traded him away for a couple of solid seasons from Clinton Portis. Probably one of the worst trades in recent memory.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was a bad trade for the Skins but we had more than a couple good seasons from Portis. For most of his SKins career he was their best player on offense and carried that team.

Skins weren't going to win anything with Champ anyway because there were so many holes on that roster, and Champ wanted out and to go play for a contender.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
It was a bad trade for the Skins but we had more than a couple good seasons from Portis. For most of his SKins career he was their best player on offense and carried that team.

Skins weren't going to win anything with Champ anyway because there were so many holes on that roster, and Champ wanted out and to go play for a contender.
Right. Portis gave that offense an instant spark, he was great.
Dressed weird and all, but he was a stud.
Neither team made a Super Bowl though, but a decent trade for all.
Obviously a CB will usually last a lot longer in this game than a RB though.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Champ and I think the trade worked really well for the Broncos considering how dominantly he has played for them. He's a class act and if he wasn't there that defense would struggle to replace what he did. I wouldn't take it back for the world but damn if I miss Portis. When he came up with us, he was definitely my favorite on the team and I think if he continued playing in that system he would have put some incredible years up. I still play Madden 2004 with him absolutely destroying teams with his speed in the running and passing game.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Champ is good. We get it.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
I love Champ and I think the trade worked really well for the Broncos considering how dominantly he has played for them. He's a class act and if he wasn't there that defense would struggle to replace what he did. I wouldn't take it back for the world but damn if I miss Portis. When he came up with us, he was definitely my favorite on the team and I think if he continued playing in that system he would have put some incredible years up. I still play Madden 2004 with him absolutely destroying teams with his speed in the running and passing game.

Yeah iF CP had been in that ZBS in Denver for most of his career, I really think he'd be talked about as a HOF caliber RB.

Joe Gibbs ran him into the ground like he was a 250# FB.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Not related to Champ, but I like this BB interview: http://patspropaganda.com/post/61110...coast-offenses

He talks about Paul Brown and the WCO, the Air Coryell and Joe Gibbs, and the propagation of offensive systems throughout the NFL. Interesting stuff. If he ever writes a book about football, I'll read it.
Interesting...the reporter asks him if the way the game was played offensively would have changed if the Chargers had won the 41-38 Miami game. The Chargers DID win that game...they lost the following game in Cincinnati with some ridiculously cold wind-chill factor.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The interesting thing here about the Washington-Denver trade is that Denver had flopped time and time again drafting CB's in the 1st round and none really panned out. Deltha O'Neal was decent but by no means was he a world beater, enter the Champ Bailey-Clinton Portis deal and it has to be seen as one of the biggest player for player deals in recent memory. Neither side really lost because you can not expect a running back to have that long of a shelf life, but Champ is the definition of Shutdown Corner and he is still competing at a high level to this season.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a huge surprise. Bill is usually pretty mum about everything football during the season.

However, a few times a season, he will laud an opponent. Didn't notice this about Champ, but it doesn't surprise me. I remember specifically lauding Fitzgerald and Ed Reed before our games against them.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Yeah iF CP had been in that ZBS in Denver for most of his career, I really think he'd be talked about as a HOF caliber RB.

Joe Gibbs ran him into the ground like he was a 250# FB.
Exactly. That's why he was retired at 29 years old. I am not 100% positive on how he'd stack up with others, but his first 2 years with Denver should rival most. 1500 rushing yards and 15 TD's each season, all while keeping his carries below 300. Not to mention the 300 receiving yards he tacked on those years.

You just hardly ever see any player for player deals anymore, where the players are any good so this was one that was fun to see play out. In hindsight sure, Champ was the big winner because he's still playing at a high level, but you couldn't really argue with what Portis had done in his first 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was so-so on the trade because Portis was a Superstar HB that denver had been missing since TD, sure we had other 1000+ yard rushers but no one explosive like Portis.

But the trade also gave the broncos a 2nd round pick who ended up as Tatum Bell who was decent for the broncos also
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man he had two truly special, really special years in 2005 and 2006. He should've won DPOY one of those years.
Just a truly great CB, really great. He has all the skills too to move to safety to extend his career a few years IMO as well, ala Rod Woodson.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
deltha o'neal was horrific. i don't think i've ever seen a cornerback get beat so regularly.
but 4 interceptionzzz in a game
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
deltha o'neal was horrific. i don't think i've ever seen a cornerback get beat so regularly.
He had a moment like once a year, but then you look at the monday night game in 2003 against the Pats when Plummer was hurt, and the Broncos had to resort to Danny Kanell to QB the team, and Elam was hurt as well having the Broncos punt from the Pats 30 yard line.
Anyways, after an intentional safety, Deltha completely misplays the safety kick, which should've resulted in the Broncos at least getting to the 30 yard line, 35 yard line. Instead, they start inside the 15 yard line. With the Broncos going 3 and out, this sets up the Pats with good field position, which they score a long TD pass on...guess who?? Thats right, Deltha O'Neal.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote