Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM    (permalink
dregolll
Rookie

dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll
Default Matt Elam = Jack Tatum

Matt Elam is an absolute monster. This guy reminds me of a modern day Jack Tatum. Tatum was not the biggest safety but he struck fear in the hearts of opposing players. Matt Elam fits that description perfectly and I predict he will be the next big time safety. The guy is as physical as they come and hits like a mack truck. I love him as a prospect. What are your thoughts?
dregolll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love his aggressiveness, but unless he changes he'll quickly become one of the most flagged and fined players in the league.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's dirty and will draw a lot of flags at the pro level. He is still learning coverage. He's susceptible to getting beat on the long ball and still needs to improve on his angles. I'll admit he hits like a mack truck but he doesnt exactly wrap up or form tackle a lot of the time. He's got fantastic speed, tremendous athleticism, and can cover a lot of ground quickly. I think he has a lot of potential but needs the right coach and the right situation.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you can get a very similar player in Shamarko Thomas two rounds later. Elam is strictly a SS at this point but is fluid enough to play the deep half if he improves footwork/ball skills. Might have trouble in coverage vs top tier tight ends who can post him up and go get the ball.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Elam will be a fine NFL Safety and likely a #1 pick. However, nobody today can play like Tatum did, they would be flagged on every play. Tatum was a real head hunter and very few WR's would even try to catch a ball in the middle of the field against him.
Few modern day WR's could even play in Tatum's time, DB's today aren't allowed to head hunt, WR's in Tatum's time feared for their careers every time they played against him and needed exceptionable courage to go over the middle against him.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I think you can get a very similar player in Shamarko Thomas two rounds later. Elam is strictly a SS at this point but is fluid enough to play the deep half if he improves footwork/ball skills. Might have trouble in coverage vs top tier tight ends who can post him up and go get the ball.
This. Coverage would be a concern. Didn't see a lot of that from the Florida secondary last night.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bob Sanders 2.0
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At that size you need to be very worried about injuries considering his playing style.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been on his hype train for a while. I was hoping the Titans would be able to snatch him up at the top of the 2nd round. Alas, that was when he was a little more under the radar, and before the Titans won 2 of their last 3.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiG View Post
I think he's dirty and will draw a lot of flags at the pro level. He is still learning coverage. He's susceptible to getting beat on the long ball and still needs to improve on his angles. I'll admit he hits like a mack truck but he doesnt exactly wrap up or form tackle a lot of the time. He's got fantastic speed, tremendous athleticism, and can cover a lot of ground quickly. I think he has a lot of potential but needs the right coach and the right situation.
Sounds exactly like what the Patriots draft at safety.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think his coverage ability is underrated. I think he's kind of a wildman like Polamalu and wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers seriously consider taking him. He is more of a SS at this point, but I think if a team takes him to play deep middle, he is a training camp and good coaching away from being able to do that pretty well. Footwork needs work. Reading the QB needs to get better, but he makes up for it by having great closing speed.

Very physical as was stated, I really like him to muscle up on some of the tiny slot WRs around the NFL. I also like him coming on the blitz. He does need to tone it down a bit for the NFL, or else he'll be playing football for free. I'd actually like to see him be more aggressive after the ball instead of the WR. Could be a 6-8 INT/year type of safety.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Sounds exactly like what the Patriots draft at safety.
Would be an upgrade over what they have back there now.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'd be a good addition to a defense that relies on turnovers rather than stops. He's going to make some spectacular plays but I'm sure he's going to get exposed plenty of times. Nothing really wrong with that, I just don't think he's going to be a very disciplined safety at this level, I just don't see it as his game.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These days, if coverage isn't your best asset as a safety, you're going to have a bad time.

Eric Berry is a brute near the LOS. Force him to cover, though...

I miss the days when big hitters could still be relevant, but they're gone and they're not coming back. You have to be a cover guy first now, even as a SS.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote