Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 AM    (permalink
ninerfan35
Rookie

ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan35 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mariota or Manziel

Had this debate with a friend of mine. If you could pick one who would it be. I'd say there isn't a discussion and that Manziel is the pick.
ninerfan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Cardinal96
Rookie

Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cardinal96 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan35 View Post
Had this debate with a friend of mine. If you could pick one who would it be. I'd say there isn't a discussion and that Manziel is the pick.
Is this for a college football team or a pro football team. Personally, I am tempted to go with Mariota for an NFL team. I think he has the size and skills that will translate better in the pros.
Cardinal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mariota will be the better pro. Easily.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we are talking about as a pro, I'm taking Mariota and it isn't even a discussion. Mariota has much better size (6'4" 210 vs. 6'1" 200), a bigger arm, is more pass first (although offense type and surrounding cast plays a part too and both run a lot), and he is actually probably a better athlete.

In terms of college, it's close. Both had great years, especially for Freshman. Oregon's team was better but Texas A&M played better defenses (although SEC defenses were nowhere near up to their usual standards). Manziel has the edge so far, but I think the Oregon offense shifts more towards Mariota next year. Can't go wrong with either though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Mariota will be the better pro. Easily.
Agreed, but in the college game I'm leaning to Johnny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Warriorz319
Rookie

Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

College or Pro I would take Mariota over Manziel. Mariota has more pure ability as a QB and a better supporting cast. Not to take anything away from Manziel who has been great; however, in no way was Manziel a better QB than Mariota as a Freshman and I see nothing to assume that will change as they both gain more and more experience barring injury.
Warriorz319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always go with the better overall football player. In this case it's Manziel.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Agreed, but in the college game I'm leaning to Johnny.
Heavily. I'm not even sure Manziel won't be great at the pro level either. He throws the ball really well and we've seen a glimpse of the future of the position ( in certain forms) with guys like Griffin and Wilson. This takes nothing away from what i feel about the potential of Marcus Mariota.

My guess is if Manziel were in this draft someone like Dallas would trade up into the top 5 picks to take him. Imagine that show with him playing in Dallas.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel in college and the pros.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Heavily. I'm not even sure Manziel won't be great at the pro level either. He throws the ball really well and we've seen a glimpse of the future of the position ( in certain forms) with guys like Griffin and Wilson. This takes nothing away from what i feel about the potential of Marcus Mariota.

My guess is if Manziel were in this draft someone like Dallas would trade up into the top 5 picks to take him. Imagine that show with him playing in Dallas.
Explain.

I do not see how Griffin and Wilson show this. Griffin's health gave out by the playoffs, unless he becomes a more traditional passer he will continue to have injury plagued seasons. Wilson ran smarter and slid more often, and also began a transition to becoming a more traditional passer. That's why Wilson has lasted this whole season.

Put Manziel's size and his style of play in the NFL he won't last 10 games.

I take Mariota easily.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan35 View Post
In college, I'll take Manziel. In the pros, I have them close, but I'll take Mariota. See more flashes of potential in the downfield passing game, but I think both could go pretty high in the draft, though it may difficult for them to assess their own draft value and decide to declare early, etc.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
In college, I'll take Manziel. In the pros, I have them close, but I'll take Mariota. See more flashes of potential in the downfield passing game, but I think both could go pretty high in the draft, though it may difficult for them to assess their own draft value and decide to declare early, etc.
A lot of Marcus's passes are bubble screens to backs and wrs so his numbers might be a little deceiving. I thought his downfield reads and accuracy dropped off at the end of the year. Having said that i think he can develope into a high draft pick but if there is a system where you question how it translates to the pros he's playing in it.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The answer is Manziel and it's not even close.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel easily in college and probably Mariota eventually in the pros when he develops. Manziel is just so dynamic. I can see Mariota's obvious skills but I'm not going to ignore the preceding success of other Oregon QBs at the college level.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly Oregon QB's seem to be a more of a product of the system then any school and after Johnny Football roasted Alabama I'll never doubt that kid ever again.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem I have with Mariota is that he's never really been in any tough situations or tough games, except 1, Stanford.

Other than the Stanford game he was never really under any pressure to deliver, I guess credit to that juggernaut Oregon offense; but the one time when the team wasn't just flat out faster than everyone, he didn't come through.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
Honestly Oregon QB's seem to be a more of a product of the system then any school and after Johnny Football roasted Alabama I'll never doubt that kid ever again.
Not to take anything away from that game but a betting man could have called the upset a mile away. The week before Alabama beat LSU in the final seconds on a huge emotional high. Could see the let down coming the next week a mile away.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Explain.

I do not see how Griffin and Wilson show this. Griffin's health gave out by the playoffs, unless he becomes a more traditional passer he will continue to have injury plagued seasons. Wilson ran smarter and slid more often, and also began a transition to becoming a more traditional passer. That's why Wilson has lasted this whole season.

Put Manziel's size and his style of play in the NFL he won't last 10 games.

I take Mariota easily.

I think Manziel is a smarter runner than RG3 because Manziel knows that although he's a great athlete himself, he's not always, if ever, the fastest guy on the field.

Grif gets into trouble IMO because on any carry knowing he runs a 4.3, he thinks if he gets a crease in the open field that he has a chance to take it the house. That leads to him taking way too many chances when he runs.

Grif getting splattered by Ngata was just a dumb decision on his part. Robert cut back into the middle of the field where backside pursuit from the dline was trailing and more or less 'ran' himself into Ngata.

I rarely saw Manziel get blown up on an open field run.

Running the pistol/zone read just forces the D to prepare for something else in their gameplan that so far most NFL defenses can't cover effectively.

If an NFL team wants to add that wrinkle to their offense, you need an athlete at QB like Manziel.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
Not to take anything away from that game but a betting man could have called the upset a mile away. The week before Alabama beat LSU in the final seconds on a huge emotional high. Could see the let down coming the next week a mile away.
True but then I watched those Cotton Bowl highlights and the kid had has way with Oklahoma.

Duke Blue Devils

Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
True but then I watched those Cotton Bowl highlights and the kid had has way with Oklahoma.
I know ND deserved to be there but i would have loved to have seen TAMU and Bama monday night.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

That game in College Station next season is going to be quite epic.

Duke Blue Devils

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mariota every single time for me.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Shreckart
Veteran

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watched Manziel in person at the Cotton Bowl (Born in Norman, but go to TCU) and I must say he is incredible. Unbelievable with the fluidity he has when he runs the ball. Mariota is a solid player, but I'll take Manziel over any QB in the country. (Except Casey Pachall)

Last edited by Shreckart : 01-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kevin Hogan.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote