Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Zac Dysert - Record as Starter a Concern?

I have only watched a few games of Dysert but I have liked what I have seen. Love his deep ball, ability to throw on the run, and strength in the pocket, but when I looked at his record I became a bit concerned. I truthfully never watch miami(Ohio) and know very little about their team so I was wondering if somebody with knowledge of their team could school me. Does a serious lack of surrounding talent or poor coaching or anything help explain a 8-16 record over the past 2 seasons?? I noticed a lot of dropped passes in film and their defense allowed 35 points a game in 2012 so I would assume the talent level is not great but when you play teams like bowling green, buffalo, ball state, and central Michigan you expect a good QB to be able to pull off more then 4 wins a season.
"it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can't stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play." - Ray Lewis after being fined $20,000 for hit on Hines Ward

Let's Go BUFFALO!
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
bulldog0123

Using Jake Locker as an example, no. EDIT: DOES NOT MATTER AS FAR AS WHERE HE WAS SELECTED

Locker's Record: 10-21

But by the same token, "Twenty-eight quarterbacks have gone in the first round of the draft since 2000. Only five had losing records as college starters: Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Jay Cutler and Josh Freeman."

Not a good group

Last edited by bulldog0123 : 01-04-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog0123 View Post
Using Jake Locker as an example, no.

Locker's Record: 10-21

But by the same token, "Twenty-eight quarterbacks have gone in the first round of the draft since 2000. Only five had losing records as college starters: Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Jay Cutler and Josh Freeman."

Not a good group
I thought a number of Titans fans aren't too happy with what they've seen from Locker so far? But at least Locker would have the argument of facing much better quality opponents in the Pac-10(then) compared to the MAC.

For comparison, Roethlisberger was 27-11 at Miami (OH).

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I thought a number of Titans fans aren't too happy with what they've seen from Locker so far? But at least Locker would have the argument of facing much better quality opponents in the Pac-10(then) compared to the MAC.

For comparison, Roethlisberger was 27-11 at Miami (OH).
Ya Locker as a comparison does not really work because of the quality of competition. Also, didn't Washington go 7-5 in Locker's senior season??? I was never high on Locker, the potential was obviously there but I never loved what I saw in games.

Another thing that scares me with Dysert is if you take away his 6 td 0 int game vs Akron then his senior stats are a mediocre 19 td 12 int
"it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can't stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play." - Ray Lewis after being fined $20,000 for hit on Hines Ward

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Elway was 20-23 at Stanford so not sure It would be something I'd use in evaluating a QB.

Also Jake Locker was 7-5 in games he played in his sr. season, so there is that.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you've already looked a him and like him, it shouldn't be something that sways you. I'm not going to act like I've seen a ton of him but he doesn't scream starting material to me.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
John Elway was 20-23 at Stanford so not sure It would be something I'd use in evaluating a QB.

Also Jake Locker was 7-5 in games he played in his sr. season, so there is that.
Elway also played in the Pac-8. 20-25 in the Pac-8 isn't really that comparable to 8-16 in the MAC.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He stares down his first read almost consistantly. Not as impressed as most are with him. Extremely raw inaccurate questionable field visions pocket awareness and errtatic. Accuracy issues are a concern.

I don't see a starter. Just a qb with a big arm without the required intangibles.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
He stares down his first read almost consistantly. Not as impressed as most are with him. Extremely raw inaccurate questionable field visions pocket awareness and errtatic. Accuracy issues are a concern.

I don't see a starter. Just a qb with a big arm without the required intangibles.
Just curious what makes you say he is " extremely raw" ?? He started for 2.5 years I think and does not show traits of being a "raw" prospect in my mind.

If you are looking at his stats I would agree he is inaccurate but when you watch tape he usually throws good placed and very catchable ball often hittin his receivers in the hands/face/chest and falling to the ground. Saying accuracy is a concern to me seems, well, inaccurate lol. He does stare down receivers and is by no means a 5 star prospect but most of his problems seem very fixable with coaching.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if he was viewed as a first rounder it would be more of an issue but since he is more of a developmental guy it is not such a big issue. He has all the tools to work with and would more than likely be given a chance to develop behind a seasoned pro in the NFL.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Another thing that scares me with Dysert is if you take away his 6 td 0 int game vs Akron then his senior stats are a mediocre 19 td 12 int
I bet that's true of a lot of prospects, though.

Taking away their throw away games tends to make their stats more mediocre.

I mean, a lot of QBs would have 0 TDs and 0 INTs if you did that...
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Just curious what makes you say he is " extremely raw" ?? He started for 2.5 years I think and does not show traits of being a "raw" prospect in my mind.

If you are looking at his stats I would agree he is inaccurate but when you watch tape he usually throws good placed and very catchable ball often hittin his receivers in the hands/face/chest and falling to the ground. Saying accuracy is a concern to me seems, well, inaccurate lol. He does stare down receivers and is by no means a 5 star prospect but most of his problems seem very fixable with coaching.
I'm not just looking at stats. I've watched the kid a few times and the same flaws jump out. Doesn't go through his reads and progressions. Consist inert stares down one side of the field. Accuracy is spotty. He's got an arm on him. I think he'll be picked anywhere from the 3rd and 5th round. Bc he is raw. When your inconsistent like that to me you're raw as a passer and need time to sit ad develop. By no means is he ready to come in day one and start.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 AM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I bet that's true of a lot of prospects, though.

Taking away their throw away games tends to make their stats more mediocre.

I mean, a lot of QBs would have 0 TDs and 0 INTs if you did that...
Fair enough but I am only taking away 1 game. If I were taking out 2 or 3 I would understand, or even if they had a tougher schedule.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 AM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

Quote:
I'm not just looking at stats. I've watched the kid a few times and the same flaws jump out. Doesn't go through his reads and progressions. Consist inert stares down one side of the field. Accuracy is spotty. He's got an arm on him. I think he'll be picked anywhere from the 3rd and 5th round. Bc he is raw. When your inconsistent like that to me you're raw as a passer and need time to sit ad develop. By no means is he ready to come in day one and start.
I would agree with most of the negatives you bring up about Dysert but I'm not sure he is raw. I guess it depends on someone's definition of the word but someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick has a lot of the same traits you listed, would you say he is raw? Or would you say that label is lost with age and you become just an inconsistent QB? Not trying to argue, just curious.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
SomethingAboutFB
Rookie

SomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

All those negatives i see them all in his 2012 cutups.

I was told because of the O changes, he got worst (really doesn't help his case even if its true). I'm looking for 2011 tapes, which should show what he is capable of, but as far as I can tell, he really just not cut out to be a pocket passer in the short to med range, which makes him almost useless in the pros
SomethingAboutFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are people using Jake Locker as a point of reference as to why a W/L record in college doesn't matter much for a QB? :P
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
SomethingAboutFB
Rookie

SomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSomethingAboutFB is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

LOL...no clue horrible example. Locker is making the case to avoid Dysert
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
bulldog0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Why are people using Jake Locker as a point of reference as to why a W/L record in college doesn't matter much for a QB? :P
I was just talking about merely how Locker was still selected high even with the losing record.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jake Locker, Jay Cutler and Josh Freeman say no, his record won't keep him from being a top pick.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
bulldog0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Jake Locker, Jay Cutler and Josh Freeman say no, his record won't keep him from being a top pick.
That's what my point was. Thank you
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Jake Locker and Josh Freeman both haven't been exactly lighting the NFL up either. Locker is atleast still 2 years younger.

Freeman? 3 out of 4 seasons, they had losing records with him at the helm. And 3 years he had INTs of 18, 22, 17.

Starting to think 2010 was a mirage. Still stares down WRs, doesn't exactly read defenses well, very innnaccurate, and throws into double and even triple coverage sometimes.

Cutler is a gun slinger, but I'd actually like to see him with a better offensive line in front of him before I make judgement. Sometimes really dislike his attitude.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
SomethingAboutFB
Rookie

regardless of record, Dysert looks nothing like a startable QB in the NFL
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
bulldog0123

Quote:
Jake Locker and Josh Freeman both haven't been exactly lighting the NFL up either. Locker is atleast still 2 years younger.

Freeman? 3 out of 4 seasons, they had losing records with him at the helm. And 3 years he had INTs of 18, 22, 17.

Starting to think 2010 was a mirage. Still stares down WRs, doesn't exactly read defenses well, very innnaccurate, and throws into double and even triple coverage sometimes.

Cutler is a gun slinger, but I'd actually like to see him with a better offensive line in front of him before I make judgement. Sometimes really dislike his attitude.
But they still were drafted high.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Because he went top 10? IDK.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog0123 View Post
But they still were drafted high.
So what ? Teams are learning from these poor selections. Me personally? I'm looking for a qb who has it between the ears , is accurate and can trow with velocity.

Does he have to have a big arm like Josh Freeman ? No. I prefer someone who can read defenses accurate and throw on anticipation.

Look at the top 5 qbs in the nfl. They don't have the strongest arms. What they have are intangibles accuracy and excellent mechanics.