Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Alright fine, I misread you. Still, cmarq pointed out Benjamin and Winn who look solid. If you take out first and second round picks the Niners drafts look a lot worse too.

You're arguing a different point than me anyway. I don't think Heckert was as bad as you made him out to be. Not saying that the Browns have drafted better than the 49ers over the last few years.
If he were a good GM he'd have Julio Jones and RG3. Just saying. I'm really happy he won't be coming this way, that's all.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get all the hate for Heckert. He did a nice job in Philly and Cleveland is in better shape now than when he took over. Weeden was a mistake but other than that, I thought he did a decent job in Cleveland. It's a moot point though. Someone tell me about Tom Gamble.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I don't get all the hate for Heckert. He did a nice job in Philly and Cleveland is in better shape now than when he took over. Weeden was a mistake but other than that, I thought he did a decent job in Cleveland. It's a moot point though. Someone tell me about Tom Gamble.

If Heckert were Jets GM, Jets would suffer the same fate as Chiefs and Browns. Heckert cancelling the interview with Jets suggested he would do that way. Thankfully.

I can't say Tom Gamble will do the opposite of what Heckert would do but He had worked closely with Bill Polian, one of best GMs in NFL history, for 7 years. Polian had successful with quarterback and pass rushers. Both area Jets lack as of right now.

49ers' coaching staff is unbelievable as 49ers were out of rebuilding phrase in no time. Gamble had witnessed circus in coaching and quarterback until Jim Harabaugh took over. This kind of experience would make Gamble to eye for good result in no time. Jets need that.

Gamble was a regional scout for Buddy Ryan back in Philly. He knows what to look for to bolster the defensive depth. Jets would appreciate that.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not sure what your point is there. You think the 49ers release Smith and the Jets are going to be able to sign him to a one year, 1.5 million dollar deal?
49ers release Smith to save 3m. After that, he is up in the air. So do you suggest that Smith will not accept any job that pays him less than supposed to be collected 3m?

Back to topic.. If Smith is actually released by 49ers I am all for it. If 49ers keep and try to trade Smith then forget it.

Contract if he is available.

first 2 years are guaranteed.

Y1- 1.5m
Y2- 5.5m
Y3- 5 plus incentive bonuses.

It is generous.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers would save money by cutting him and there's some slight benefits to doing that as there's less risk than if there's no trade market to him. But they save money if they trade him too, so I'd imagine there's more benefit to trying that.

Even if they do cut him, backup quarterbacks like Jason Campbell, Matt Moore, and Chad Henne make approximately 2.5 million per year. I'd imagine Smith would want a good amount more to start. Plus, NFL players are going to want to maximize early year contract value because they're easily cut and see none of that money in later years. I just don't think Alex Smith is good enough to warrant signing to a 3 year deal, and don't think he'd sign that deal anyway. Why sign a deal with low money in year one when you can be cut and locked into a low rate for a starter? If anything I could see him signing for 4, 5 million and that's a very low estimate for a potential starter who's on the open market. And that's if they don't just trade him.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The 49ers would save money by cutting him and there's some slight benefits to doing that as there's less risk than if there's no trade market to him. But they save money if they trade him too, so I'd imagine there's more benefit to trying that.

Even if they do cut him, backup quarterbacks like Jason Campbell, Matt Moore, and Chad Henne make approximately 2.5 million per year. I'd imagine Smith would want a good amount more to start. Plus, NFL players are going to want to maximize early year contract value because they're easily cut and see none of that money in later years. I just don't think Alex Smith is good enough to warrant signing to a 3 year deal, and don't think he'd sign that deal anyway. Why sign a deal with low money in year one when you can be cut and locked into a low rate for a starter? If anything I could see him signing for 4, 5 million and that's a very low estimate for a potential starter who's on the open market. And that's if they don't just trade him.

The contract is good for up to 3 years but only 2 years are locked. 7m guaranteed in 2 years is easily richer than Matt Moore, Jason Campbell or Chad Henne who may struggle to get at least 2 year contract.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would you want to guarantee him a second year of 5.5 million? What if he has a terrible year or gets injured and can't play the second year? And Campbell I think is the only one of the group who wasn't on a two year deal, he got 1 year 2.5 million. Pretty sure Moore was around 2 years 5 million and Henne was around 2 years 6 million. And those are contracts to be backups and maybe have a shot to start. I still would imagine Smith would want considerably more as a guaranteed starter. And not sure why they'd want to guarantee a mediocre QB who will be 29 by the time next season starts a starting spot on a rebuilding team either.

Agree to disagree I guess. I don't see any realistic circumstances where it makes sense to bring Smith in. And given Gamble was a part of an organization that was looking to replace Smith, not sure he's really going to be a huge proponent of bringing him in anyway.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Injury can happen to everyone. What if Smith scored 30 tds and passed for 3500 yards on one year contract with Jets under Norv Turner?

Jason Campbell could make about 4-5m as a stopgap for 2014 if he had good 2013. Or he could make a flat 3m if he bombed in 2013. 5.5m in 2014 is hardly an issue.

Sanchez' 13m in 2013 is unbearable. Average Smith for 5.5m is acceptable.

Yeah, I know that identifying contract for 2013 free agents is almost impossible because a competition and a personal desire are difficult to anticipate. Smith could be taking 2 years contract of 2m per season.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Okay, we can scratch Kirk Cousins off for future HC/QB tandem. RG3 is done and Shanny would be in trouble if Dr. Andrews told the truth.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Okay, we can scratch Kirk Cousins off for future HC/QB tandem. RG3 is done and Shanny would be in trouble if Dr. Andrews told the truth.
Andrews told the truth. He did not clear RG3 to play and Shanahan didn't care. Cousins was not a realistic option anyway.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Andrews told the truth. He did not clear RG3 to play and Shanahan didn't care. Cousins was not a realistic option anyway.
Dennison/Yates and Shanahan/Cousins are possibly out of questions for 2014.

Dennison could end up in Chicago with Cutler. Cousins is stuck with Redskins.

What next Holmgren/Flynn?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dennison/Yates and Shanahan/Cousins are possibly out of questions for 2014.

Dennison could end up in Chicago with Cutler. Cousins is stuck with Redskins.

What next Holmgren/Flynn?
I dont know why you think any of these are going to happen. I think they are close to getting that guy Gamble from the 49ers and I don't necessarily see them being as aggressive in going after a quarterback in FA/Trads as you think they will.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I dont know why you think any of these are going to happen. I think they are close to getting that guy Gamble from the 49ers and I don't necessarily see them being as aggressive in going after a quarterback in FA/Trads as you think they will.

It is for 2014. I keep all opinions open just in case if Sanchez will start for us and fail again next season.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

You really shouldn't bother looking htat far ahead in terms of picking up a coordinator+backup qb. That almost never happens and who says someone else's backup like Yates is really worth it. If its 2014 you are thinking for, I think the best possibility would be draft.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Injury can happen to everyone. What if Smith scored 30 tds and passed for 3500 yards on one year contract with Jets under Norv Turner?

Jason Campbell could make about 4-5m as a stopgap for 2014 if he had good 2013. Or he could make a flat 3m if he bombed in 2013. 5.5m in 2014 is hardly an issue.

Sanchez' 13m in 2013 is unbearable. Average Smith for 5.5m is acceptable.

Yeah, I know that identifying contract for 2013 free agents is almost impossible because a competition and a personal desire are difficult to anticipate. Smith could be taking 2 years contract of 2m per season.
Yeah injuries can happen to everyone, which is why most teams don't fully guarantee contracts a year in advance. So can bad seasons too. Do you think the Jets guaranteeing Mark Sanchez's 2013 salary was a good move in retrospect? Just silly to do. Not sure what the fascination with Smith is, he's not very good.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah injuries can happen to everyone, which is why most teams don't fully guarantee contracts a year in advance. So can bad seasons too. Do you think the Jets guaranteeing Mark Sanchez's 2013 salary was a good move in retrospect? Just silly to do. Not sure what the fascination with Smith is, he's not very good.

Full guaranteed for 2 years helps hammer the deal with Alex Smith for two years instead of him going to another team for 3m a year. That way Jets don't have to look for another qb to learn new system back to back seasons. Smith and Turner together for 2 years is very favorable.

It is pointless if Tony Sparano stays as OC for one more season.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You really shouldn't bother looking htat far ahead in terms of picking up a coordinator+backup qb. That almost never happens and who says someone else's backup like Yates is really worth it. If its 2014 you are thinking for, I think the best possibility would be draft.

If Tom Gamble actually brought Jim Tomsula with him to take over Jets then the draft would be only the way. Right now, I have my own procedure for qb search.

1. Top FA.
2. Top Trade.
3. few years under belt.
4. 1st round.
5. 2nd round.
6. mid round.
7. late round.
8. UDFA.

I omitted internal move because I don't believe in Greg McElroy. First 2 are not probables, evidently. 3rd one is unlikely since Rex Ryan is still our HC. I am on hold until the 2013 draft kicks off. That is why I try to figure out what may happen after 2013 season to see if we could have a shot instead of keeping bugging about drafting Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Full guaranteed for 2 years helps hammer the deal with Alex Smith for two years instead of him going to another team for 3m a year. That way Jets don't have to look for another qb to learn new system back to back seasons. Smith and Turner together for 2 years is very favorable.

It is pointless if Tony Sparano stays as OC for one more season.
First of all, no guarantee Turner comes in. Second of all, Smith would be learning a new system in all likelihood.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
First of all, no guarantee Turner comes in. Second of all, Smith would be learning a new system in all likelihood.
Like I stated before. It is pointless right now because that jerk Tom Gamble is set to interview with Chargers.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Have anyone of you guys ever to build a full scale Jets mock? By a full scale mock, I mean salary movement, signings and a draft in one mock. Or are you just a media reactor?

One day I will try to do a full scale mock here.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's official, Sparano is gone! Maybe the Jets would have been better served last off-season by trying to pry David Lee away from Ole Miss as their OC. Apparently he was the mastermind behind the 2008 Miami wildcat, not Sparano.

Anyone excited about Norv Turner as our OC? Or someone else you think might be better?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Wow. I called Gamble jerk for nothing. Jets did not like him. They liked David Caldwell.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
It's official, Sparano is gone! Maybe the Jets would have been better served last off-season by trying to pry David Lee away from Ole Miss as their OC. Apparently he was the mastermind behind the 2008 Miami wildcat, not Sparano.

Anyone excited about Norv Turner as our OC? Or someone else you think might be better?

Turner is not ours yet. Bills would scoop in and take him. Who knows
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Waiting to hear the tattoo questions and answers lmfao
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

live press conf is on now with Rex and Woody
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote