Just a quick post Wild card weekend Mock. 1st rounder with explanations is up, just some rough thoughts, I did a little bit of research stress on the little. Hopefully your team got someone decent, still in the process of making the 2nd round. (will edit when 2nd round is up) Looking for comments, criticism.
Edit: Round 2 is Up now.
1. Kansas City - Geno Smith - QB, West Virginia:
With Andy Reid taking the reigns I believe the Chiefs will stress the importance of the QB position with this pick. Not a great year overall to have #1 so it will be tough to move down. I don’t necessarily believe Geno is a number One overall however the position he plays bumps him up, and his athleticism will intrigue KC, no way they can take another year of Cassell, Quinn taking snaps.
2. Jacksonville - Star Lotulelei - DT, Utah:
The Jaguars go back to building in the trenches with this pick. Star has a rare blend of size, strength, and speed drawing comparisons to Baltimore’s Haloti Ngata. The Jaguars will pair him along side Tyson Alualu with the hopes that they will anchor their D-line like John Henderson, and Marcus Stroud did back in their glory days.
3. 3. Oakland - Damontre Moore. DE - Texas A&M:
Oakland has needs everywhere, but at Three I think they’ll take Moore who many believe is the best Down linemen Pass Rusher in this Draft in hopes that he can become a Julius Peppers type player.
4. Philadelphia - Dee Milliner - CB, Alabama:
I see this Draft’s top Cornerback coming off the board here to Philly. Rodgers-Cromartie is a Free Agent, and giving Nnamdi Asoughma that big contract is looking like a pretty poor decision right now. Milliner would give the Eagles that physical presence at Corner, that could disrupt receivers routes at the line and get involved in run support.
5. Detroit - Luke Joeckel - OT, Texas A&M:
While the Lions have a multitude of issues to address along the Defensive Line and Secondary; I think the value is too good to pass up here. When a Franchise Left Tackle falls into their laps they need to jump, Jeff Backus is going on his 12th season and Matt Stafford took a beating at times this year. Joeckel the most technically sound Tackle in this Draft, should solidify their Offensive line for the next decade.
6. Cleveland - Jarvis Jones - OLB, Georgia:
I think as long as he checks out medically he’s great value for Cleveland here, and addresses a need. They will hope to plug him into a Von Miller type role, playing stand up LB on early downs and then moving around the formation as a Pass rush in Nickel.
7. Arizona - Taylor Lewan - OT, Michigan:
QB is a need, but I don’t think the Cards can overlook O-line here their Qbs have gotten beat up the past few seasons and they hope Lewan can be the next bigtime Michigan O-linemen to shore things up for them.
8. Buffalo - Manti Te’o - ILB, Notre Dame:
On a side note I love the hiring of Doug Marrone for them. Local guy from Syracuse, he’s and up and comer who should bring some fresh ideas to this organization. I think the Bills wait on QB, and go for Te’o which at this point is a match that just makes sense seeing as they are in desperate need at Linebacker and Te’o can be the guy who will step in from Day 1 and be a leader.
9. NY Jets - Mike Glennon - QB, NC State:
I think Mark Sanchez’ Nine lives just ran out and the Jets will look to the Draft again to go for their QB of the future, I think they’ll pass on another USC QB with durability concerns in Barkley, and look for at Glennon who I think will shoot up draft boards. He has the arm strength, physical tools, and ability to be a leader, just needs to have his mechanics fine tuned.
10. Tennessee - Bjoern Werner - DE, Florida St.:
Overjoyed to see Werner slip to them the Titans snatch up him up, tough, relentless, high motor player should fit right into the Titans Defense, he will greatly aid their Pass rush and run stopping ability.
11. San Diego - Dion Jordan - DE/OLB, Oregon:
Shaun Phillips is a Free Agent but even if he returns San Diego needs to recharge their Pass Rush. Jordan might be a bit of a gamble pick as he’s raw having only playing Defense on a college level for 2 seasons but I think the Chargers roll the dice on the rangy, explosive, rushbacker out of Oregon.
12. Miami - Keenan Allen - WR, California:
They have their guy at QB in Tannehill. Now they need to surround him with weapons, Allen has the size, and hands to be that dependable primary target in their Passing game.
13. Tampa Bay - Johnthan Banks - CB, Miss. State:
The League’s worst Pass Defense desperately needs help at Corner, Banks is a physical corner who has the height, arm length, and physicality needed to match up in a Division with Receivers like Roddy White, Julio Jones, Vincent Jackson and Marques Colston in it.
14. Carolina - Jonathan Hankins - DT, Ohio State:
The Panthers need to go back and build up both Interior sides of their Lines. Hankins would be the best player on the board, and immediately improve their Run D’, he can anchor the middle of the line and allow Keuchly the space to roam and make more plays.
15. New Orleans - Sheldon Richardson - DT, Missouri:
I’m not sure if the Saints staff will like any of the current DE’s left on the board at this stage so I believe they’ll go with a gap disrupting Under Tackle to plug into Spag’s scheme along side Akiem Hicks to cause havoc in opposing team’s backfield and hopefully give a jolt to the worst Yardage Defense of all time.
16. St.Louis - Eric Fisher - OT, Central Mich.:
The Rams are going all in with Sam Bradford so they need to provide him with better protection than what he’s currently receiving. Fisher can give them a true Right Tackle with his great size, but yet he’s also fluid enough in Pass protection.
17. Pittsburgh - Chance Warmack - OG, Alabama:
I know the Steelers need to add some youth to an aging Defense but Warmack is simply the BPA at this point, with Ben struggling in some late game situations last season he should be overjoyed the Steelers finally put some premier Interior talent next to Pouncey, Warmack will be a mauler on the interior for them in a tough, physical Division.
18. Dallas - Barkevious Mingo -/OLB, LSU
- Sam Backer is a big need for Dallas as Anthony Spencer could test the market in Free Agency, Mingo has the frame to add more pounds and I think he'll fit nicely as a stand up backer in Rob Ryan's system, and rush from the outside.
19. NY Giants - Ezekiel Ansah - DE, BYU
- Rumours swirl of Osi and Tuck departing Big Blue in 2013, regardless seems like the Giants just love to Draft Defensive Ends and develop them. Ansah fits the mold, and is quite the physical specimen, seems like he would thrive in the Giants system.
20. Chicago - Dallas Thomas - OT, Tennessee
- Regardless of who the next Coach is I think the Bears will need to put a higher premium on Offensive Line going forward. The run on Offensive Tackle’s continues, Jake Matthews not declaring really puts a damper on things as another pick could have fallen to them but Thomas would give them a true Left Tackle, who can slide out and mirror edge rushers and get to the outside and seal off the edge on Toss sweeps to Forte.
21. Cincinnati - Alec Ogletree - LB, Georgia -
Something that was evident in the Bengals Wild Card round loss to Houston was their Linebackers struggled greatly whether it was Defending Houston’s zone style running game they overpursued playside allowing gaping cutback lanes for Houston’s runningbacks, and they struggled dropping into coverage. Ogletree is one of the most physically gifted Linebackers in this Draft would add some athleticism to Cincinnati’s Linebacking corps. I think he could play Inside or Out for them depending on if they want to move Mauluga to Sam or not.
22. St. Louis* via Wash - Corradelle Patterson - WR, Tennessee
- Continuing along the lines of putting Offensive pieces around Sam Bradford to finally get the Rams over that hump the Rams take Patterson here. Danny Amendola led the Rams last year in receptions with 63, the Rams need an explosive, playmaker who Defenses have to account for on every down Patterson can give them that.
23. Minnesota - Kevin Minter - ILB, LSU
- Really a lot of different ways for the Vikings to go here, I think athletic Mike backer, Wide receiver, and Interior Line are there top needs. I think the Vikes take Minter a bit higher than expected here as they need a more athletic Mike backer in their Defense, Minter would be an upgrade over Jasper Brinkley and could become a Leader on their Defense.
24. Indianapolis - Jonathan Cooper - OG, North Carolina
- GM Ryan Grigson was a former TE/OT so I believe he will begin building up an O-line around Andrew Luck. Cooper projects as the 2nd best Interior Linemen in this Draft, sets up in pass protection well and has the size and physicality to improve the Colts running blocking.
25. Baltimore - Kenny Vaccaro - S, Texas
- With the top three Inside backers off the board, and questionable Pass rush value I think the Ravens take the Draft's top Center fielding Free Safety. This could be Ed Reed's final season.
26. Seattle - Tavon Austin - WR, West Virginia
- The Seahawks need a legitimate receiving threat to open things up for their Offense. Austin is an explosive player that could play a Percy Harvin type role and be a threat to score anytime he touches the ball, could return Punts for them as well.
27. Green Bay - Tyler Eifert - TE, Notre Dame
- Jermichael Finley looks to be on his way out. Packers take the top Junior Tight End who has the size, and athleticism to run the vertical seam routes in Mike McCarthy’s bread and butter Four Verticals play.
28. San Francisco - Jesse Williams - DE, Alabama
- I believe the 49ers need a traditional 5 tech. To groom behind Justin Smith, Williams has the size to fit the bill and can add some beef up front to their D-line.
29. Houston - DeAndre Hopkins - WR, Clemson
- Andre Johnson still has a few years left in the tank, but he needs a compliment on the other side. Hopkins had a huge season this year going over 1,200 yards and 16 Tds, and finished with a monster Bowl game against LSU. His stock is sky rocketing, and I believe he can be that Big play threat in Houston's play action passing game.
30. New England - Matt Elam - S, Florida
- With Patrick Chung possibly gone as a Free agent I think the Pats take the Draft's hardest hitting Strong Safety and pair him along side Devin McCourty to solidify their back end. Elam has the build to come down in the box and wreak havoc, but also has the agility to get back in coverage.
31. Atlanta - Sam Montgomery - DE, LSU
- Sam Montgomery takes a bit of a slip but I think the Falcons will gladly snatch him up here as John Abraham will be another year older, and the Falcons need that true Bookend Rusher in their plans as Ray Edwards was a failure as a Free Agent signing.
32. Denver - Xavier Rhodes - CB, FSU
- I think Rhodes rounds out the first round, great value pick here; and fills a need Broncos could use a Cornerback to groom for the future as Tracy Porter was disappointing as a Free agent signing this past off-season.
33. Jacksonville Jaguars – Matt Barkley - QB, USC
34. Kansas City Chiefs – Barrett Jones - OL, Alabama
35. Philadelphia Eagles – Oday Aboushi - OT, Virginia
36. Detroit Lions – Alex Okafor - DE, Texas
37. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland) - Eric Reid - S, LSU
38. Arizona Cardinals – Tyler Wilson - QB, Arkansas.
39. New York Jets – Giovani Bernard - RB, North Carolina
40. Tennessee Titans – Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
41. Buffalo Bills – Ryan Nassib - QB, Syracuse
42. Miami Dolphins – Corey Lemonier - DE/OLB Auburn
43. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Robert Woods - WR, USC
44. Carolina Panthers – Jordan Poyer - CB, Oregon State
45. San Diego Chargers – Terrance Williams - WR, Baylor
46. St. Louis Rams – DJ Fluker - OT, Alabama
47. Dallas Cowboys – Travis Frederick - OG, Wisconsin
48. Pittsburgh Steelers – John Jenkins - NT, Georgia
49. New York Giants – Justin Pugh - OT, Syracuse
50. Chicago Bears – Khaseem Greene - OLB, Rutgers
51. Washington Redskins – Logan Ryan - CB, Rutgers
52. Minnesota Vikings – Justin Hunter - WR, Tennessee
53. Miami Dolphins (from Indianapolis) – David Amerson - CB, NC State
54. Cincinnati Bengals – Eddy Lacey - RB, Alabama
55. Seattle Seahawks – Margus Hunt - DE, SMU
56. Green Bay Packers – Brennan Williams - OT, North Carolina
57. Baltimore Ravens – Gerald Hodges - ILB, Penn St.
58. Houston Texans – Sylvester Williams - DT, North Carolina
59. San Francisco 49ers – Tony Jefferson - S, Oklahoma
60. New England Patriots – Stedman Bailey - WR, West Virginia
61. Atlanta Falcons – Zach Ertz - TE, Stanford
62. Denver Broncos - Shariff Floyd - DT, Florida