Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year?
Robert Griffin III 31 25.83%
Andrew Luck 48 40.00%
Russell Wilson 37 30.83%
Other 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Final Poll - Rookie of the Year 2012-2013

It came right down to the wire. We all watched it. They're all fantastic athletes for the position, and RGIII especially is electrifying with the ball in his hands. But I said since last year I was fully expecting that he was going to get hurt, and I called an ACL tear a few weeks ago. Grim, but true. I can find the post. I could just sense it was going to happen, and it's something I wrote about him in nearly every analysis I ever posted. I've never trusted his health, and it's really a shame. Perhaps he can change his game. I would truly hate to have his name end up in the careers-derailed-by-injuries thread. And the injuries do have to weigh into the success of his rookie year and the positives he was able to offer to his team.

Clearly, the Redskins were not the same without RGIII, but none of these teams would be the same without their starters. Andrew Luck's style is pure downfield aggression. His coaches allow him to let it fly, and he constantly tests the boundaries of what his arm can do and what the defense can cover. It led to some turnovers, but Andrew Luck was a relentless competitor all year, and the Colts offense was as explosive as it was with Peyton two years ago, albiet lacking the same level of refinement and consistency. Andrew Luck inherited a team with no identity and gave it one.

I think part of appreciating Russell Wilson's year is remembering that he is the only one of the three who actually won his starting job. I think that should count for something, and when you see that by the end of the year his stats are really only a half-step below RGIII's, you understand how amazing the second half of his season was. Early in the year all the pundits said that allowing a true quarterback competition in Seattle was a bad idea because it would mean that whoever won wouldn't have the benefit of a full offseason to learn the playbook. This means that while RGIII and Andrew Luck were learning their team's offenses and familiarizing themselves with their starting roles, Russell Wilson was not getting the same attention. The conservative approach early in the season was possible because the Seahawks are strong in other facets of the game, not because Russell Wilson was lacking in ability - he still had to get used to running the offense, because he didn't win the job until the third week of the preseason.

With all of that in mind, and seeing how dominant Russell Wilson was at the end of the season, I think when you look at the full picture you can say he had the most impressive rookie season. By week 17, Dangeruss had established himself as one of the top QBs in the entire league, not to mention his draft class, and the fact that absolutely no one would have bet on that happening last April makes him my choice for rookie of the year.

There is some ridiculous stuff in this video.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote