Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM    (permalink
DI
Veteran

DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was wondering what you guys thought about potentially going after Sean Smith this off-season if he hits the open market. Big, physical, young corner who seems agitated, as do many, at the thought of being franchised and it's possible he won't be with Jake Long due for free agency as well.
DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there is a way to get him without royally fing up our cap sure go ahead sign him. I liked him coming out of the draft.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see Long or Smith being viable options.

Long has been franchised and there is serious talk of Sean Smith getting franchised this year. They are going to be well out of our price range.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man... why can't we just fire Fewell. Rob Ryan supposedly has been fired by Dallas, I would much rather prefer him here than the Fewell's sorry ass.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I'd like to see us majorly overhaul the oline, but frankly I don't see it.

Snee and Baas aren't going anywhere, we will likely resign Beatty. That leaves RT and LG. I think we are pretty high on Brewer and Moseley at RT. Locklear is likely back as a cheap vet backup.

At LG we will either sign a vet (including Boothe) or we could look to the draft. If its the latter Barrett Jones seems the best fit for an immediate starter.

I guess an OT is possible but not sure they would start early.
There a lot of OL talent. I have my eyes on Jones and Eric fisher OT.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
There a lot of OL talent. I have my eyes on Jones and Eric fisher OT.
Those are the two OL I am big on for us.

With his injury and surgery Jones could well be there for us in the 2nd
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

What is everyone's opinion on our positional coaches last season?

Did they do a good job? Or should guys like Nunn, Hermanns and Giunta deserve some of the blame for their units?

I know the players have born the brunt of the blame, but coaches are meant to put players in situations to make plays and ensure whoever is on the field is ready to play.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know what to make of Teo just yet. Part of him screams mediocre NFL linebacker, then the other part of me says he could be Brian Cushing.

I don't know yet. Don't know what to make of him. I do know we need a damn linebacker, 2 of them actually. It's pathetic, we were 31st in defense in the NFL, we gave up the most yards in team HISTORY last year, and our leading tacklers all came from the secondary. We gave up more YAC than ever before, and it doesn't take an eagle's eyes to see how many missed tackles we had.

What does that tell you? WE NEED LINEBACKERS.

If you're running Cover 2, which unfortunately we are, you can't run a successful umbrella without good linebackers. Linebackers make or break a cover 2 defense.

And we have none.

But it all depends on the board. If a stud road grader is there and he's BPA, then we go OL. But I wouldn't mind linebackers. We desperately need them.

Linebackers are immediate impact players too. They're the running backs of defense. Plug and chug.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I am wondering if the new CBA with it's limits on contact practices, particularly in camp really hurt our ability to develop the physicality and fundamentals like tackling that we normally see from this team?

any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am wondering if the new CBA with it's limits on contact practices, particularly in camp really hurt our ability to develop the physicality and fundamentals like tackling that we normally see from this team?

any thoughts?
I think tackling in general isn't taught in the NFL anymore. Even before the new CBA.

So I think the best approach to take is actively scouting college players who come out of college as sure tacklers. If they already learned how to be great tacklers in college they will translate those skills to the NFL.

I think that's the best way.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I don't know what to make of Teo just yet. Part of him screams mediocre NFL linebacker, then the other part of me says he could be Brian Cushing.

I don't know yet. Don't know what to make of him. I do know we need a damn linebacker, 2 of them actually. It's pathetic, we were 31st in defense in the NFL, we gave up the most yards in team HISTORY last year, and our leading tacklers all came from the secondary. We gave up more YAC than ever before, and it doesn't take an eagle's eyes to see how many missed tackles we had.

What does that tell you? WE NEED LINEBACKERS.

If you're running Cover 2, which unfortunately we are, you can't run a successful umbrella without good linebackers. Linebackers make or break a cover 2 defense.

And we have none.

But it all depends on the board. If a stud road grader is there and he's BPA, then we go OL. But I wouldn't mind linebackers. We desperately need them.

Linebackers are immediate impact players too. They're the running backs of defense. Plug and chug.
We do need linebackers.

I think Rivers and Boley can contribute if we can get both at the right price (Boley needs to take a serious pay cut), plus we have Williams and Herzlich/Paysigner are decent depth/special teams.

I really think we need two quality LBs.
Ideally a 3 down MLB and and a tackling machine WLB with speed and Athleticism (think Derrick Brooks).
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So we lost our senior pro personell analyst Dave Gettleman to the Panthers, he took their open GM spot. I really haven't heard all that much about this guy, but I'm sure we didn't want to lose him.

Either way, It looks like the only remaining open GM position we should worry about in regards to Marc Ross is the Jets. Man I hope they don't hire him! But it does look like us spreading the word about his sexual orientation is helping *knocks on wood*

A Bonekrusher masterpiece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
JPP enjoys raping offensive tackles.
BigBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
We do need linebackers.

I think Rivers and Boley can contribute if we can get both at the right price (Boley needs to take a serious pay cut), plus we have Williams and Herzlich/Paysigner are decent depth/special teams.

I really think we need two quality LBs.
Ideally a 3 down MLB and and a tackling machine WLB with speed and Athleticism (think Derrick Brooks).
I honestly want to move on from Boley. Boley was a good coverage LB, but he was always a poor run stuffer. And now as he's aging his coverage skills are not what they used to be either. JWill can easily replace him for a fraction of the cost.

We need toughness in the LB core. My biggest problem with Boley has always been that he's a finesse LB. I liked Boley, he was great for his role in the team while he was in his prime, but I think during this transition period we should move in a different direction. Let JWill take his old role, and bring in 2 other hardnosed tackling linebackers next to Jacquan.

Rivers is never healthy. Forget him. Why even waste time putting resources in him? Forget him.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I honestly want to move on from Boley. Boley was a good coverage LB, but he was always a poor run stuffer. And now as he's aging his coverage skills are not what they used to be either. JWill can easily replace him for a fraction of the cost.

We need toughness in the LB core. My biggest problem with Boley has always been that he's a finesse LB. I liked Boley, he was great for his role in the team while he was in his prime, but I think during this transition period we should move in a different direction. Let JWill take his old role, and bring in 2 other hardnosed tackling linebackers next to Jacquan.

Rivers is never healthy. Forget him. Why even waste time putting resources in him? Forget him.
I think we need to move on from both Boley and Blackburn.

I think Rivers is worth bringing back cheaply if his health checks out. Williams is another that needs to get healthy.

Thinking about it, I think ideally we need to consider moving on from all the guys who regularly have injury issues. I'd like to see the same guys at the same positons for the bulk of the season and let them develop into cohesive units and establish some consistence; we are changing our lineups far to often I suspect.

I really think we need to look to the draft. I think we need an infusion of talent, most likely through the draft.

I'd like to see us bring some of those intangibles and leadership.

There seems to be quite a lot of WLB options and a few MLB. Do you think Williams could play SLB?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueNorwegian View Post
So we lost our senior pro personell analyst Dave Gettleman to the Panthers, he took their open GM spot. I really haven't heard all that much about this guy, but I'm sure we didn't want to lose him.

Either way, It looks like the only remaining open GM position we should worry about in regards to Marc Ross is the Jets. Man I hope they don't hire him! But it does look like us spreading the word about his sexual orientation is helping *knocks on wood*
Dave Gettleman was the Giants' senior pro personnel analyst this past season, following 13 years as the director of pro personnel. I think he has played a key role behind the scenes with building our team.

I do hope it means we retain Marc Ross (though there is still the Jets).

What this does show though is the quality of our front office staff.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we need to eventually upgrade from Blackburn but to say we need to "move on" is pretty false. He's an asset at this point and in all honesty, behind JPP, may be our 2 most valuable player in the front 7. As awful as that sounds, it may be true.

JWill needs to stay healthy. that's my concern with him
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I want to keep Chase. As a backup.

I just want a makeover on defense. Too many old guys. We need some youth in there.

On offense I just want a OG and maybe an OT. This should be a defense heavy draft unless a great OL prospect falls in our laps.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I want to keep Chase. As a backup.

I just want a makeover on defense. Too many old guys. We need some youth in there.

On offense I just want a OG and maybe an OT. This should be a defense heavy draft unless a great OL prospect falls in our laps.
See, we have no other options over Chase at this point though and if we bring in young guys, Chase is the guy to get them in position and get comfy in the D. Let's upgrade around him because Boley's missed tackles and lack of block sheeding an the nonexistance of our front 4 killed this D more than anything
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
See, we have no other options over Chase at this point though and if we bring in young guys, Chase is the guy to get them in position and get comfy in the D. Let's upgrade around him because Boley's missed tackles and lack of block sheeding an the nonexistance of our front 4 killed this D more than anything
Chase was pretty terrible too Scotty.

He was only good when the front 4 was playing out of their mind and he had wide open lanes to the RB. But who wouldn't do well in that situation?

If a Bobby Wagner type MIKE prospect is there in round 2 and we pass on him, I'd be pretty upset.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If a Bobby Wagner type MIKE prospect is there in round 2 and we pass on him, I'd be pretty upset.
What are your thoughts on Arthur Brown? could he play mike for us?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Arthur Brown? could he play mike for us?
Still looking at him. I'll have my evaluations done later in the year. I don't watch much if any college football so it takes time for me.

I do like his tackling. That was one thing that stood out to me.

The LB from Penn State intrigues me too.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Chase was pretty terrible too Scotty.

He was only good when the front 4 was playing out of their mind and he had wide open lanes to the RB. But who wouldn't do well in that situation?

I wouldn't say terrible. And the fact he was the ONLY one the coaches consistently raved about s something being overlooked. We need someone on the field to be the general.

And there are no Bobby Wagner types. Greene and Brown are the 2 best LBers (4-3) in this draft and they're both outside guys IMO
Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I wouldn't say terrible. And the fact he was the ONLY one the coaches consistently raved about s something being overlooked. We need someone on the field to be the general.

And there are no Bobby Wagner types. Greene and Brown are the 2 best LBers (4-3) in this draft and they're both outside guys IMO
We don't know that yet. Bobby Wagner wasn't Bobby Wagner at this point last year.

You gotta give em a chance. There's always good value at LB in round 2 and 3.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Still looking at him. I'll have my evaluations done later in the year. I don't watch much if any college football so it takes time for me.

I do like his tackling. That was one thing that stood out to me.

The LB from Penn State intrigues me too.
First and foremost I want LBs who can tackle.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
First and foremost I want LBs who can tackle.
I'm making that my main point of focus with every defensive player I evaluate in the back 7 this year.