Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking into his background a bit, I like Caldwell. I wouldn't mind him or Gamble based off of what I know. A little hesitant on the other current options, however.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, they've made it official that Pettine won't be back. I'm pretty happy about this. I don't necessarily know how much say he had in things, but when I could diagnose our defense the majority of the time, I don't think it was necessarily as much "organized chaos" as they wanted it to be. I wonder who the top replacement candidates will be. With the recent trend towards spread offenses, read options, and in general more athletic QBs, I would like to see someone from the college ranks that is familiar with dialing up defenses to stop similar offenses.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like they're going with Dennis Thurman. No experience as a DC, so that's a bit troubling. Maybe that would just mean Rex would control the defense.

I will say though that I am very happy that he's done with "ground & pound" and it sounds like he wants to be an explosive offense. Tavon Austin, here we come!

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well its very clear Woody Johnson has confidence in Rex
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He answered the tattoo question well. Said if Sanchez doesn't play better the number on the jersey might have to change but he loves his wife of 25 years and thats why he has the tattoo. Best way you can answer that one I guess.
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not really concerned with Thurman as the DC. Rex handled thing when Pettine was the DC, it's his defense. Defensive coordinator is really just a figurehead the way the team is now IMO, and Thurman's done a great job anyway. More interested in who the GM is (for whatever reason I like Caldwell and Ross more than Gamble, who I bet it's going to come out didn't take the job because he had to keep Rex) and who the new OC is.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Well, they've made it official that Pettine won't be back. I'm pretty happy about this. I don't necessarily know how much say he had in things, but when I could diagnose our defense the majority of the time, I don't think it was necessarily as much "organized chaos" as they wanted it to be. I wonder who the top replacement candidates will be. With the recent trend towards spread offenses, read options, and in general more athletic QBs, I would like to see someone from the college ranks that is familiar with dialing up defenses to stop similar offenses.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like they're going with Dennis Thurman. No experience as a DC, so that's a bit troubling. Maybe that would just mean Rex would control the defense.

I will say though that I am very happy that he's done with "ground & pound" and it sounds like he wants to be an explosive offense. Tavon Austin, here we come!

Thurman has worked for Ryan since they met in Baltimore so it makes sense. Nobody outside Ryan's system has familiar with this kind of defense. Offense, on other hand, requires a veteran OC.

Cam Cameron or Norv Turner will be just fine. I, however, prefer Turner because he has ability to adjust the offense to match quarterback's arm strength.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Thurman has worked for Ryan since they met in Baltimore so it makes sense. Nobody outside Ryan's system has familiar with this kind of defense. Offense, on other hand, requires a veteran OC.

Cam Cameron or Norv Turner will be just fine. I, however, prefer Turner because he has ability to adjust the offense to match quarterback's arm strength.
You know though, if they really value chemistry and want Rex to succeed, they should make a push for Hue Jackson. He was supposed to be the OC in the first place. He's a good player's coach, and though he may not be a QB guru, there's no reason to believe he can't coach up one. I really wouldn't want Cam. I'd never want to pick someone up that was just fired mid-season. He really shouldn't continue to try and pick up from Baltimore's scrap heap. With Norv, while he's great in theory, I just see that ending badly. I don't really think those two fit well together.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You know though, if they really value chemistry and want Rex to succeed, they should make a push for Hue Jackson. He was supposed to be the OC in the first place. He's a good player's coach, and though he may not be a QB guru, there's no reason to believe he can't coach up one. I really wouldn't want Cam. I'd never want to pick someone up that was just fired mid-season. He really shouldn't continue to try and pick up from Baltimore's scrap heap. With Norv, while he's great in theory, I just see that ending badly. I don't really think those two fit well together.
We need some personnel that have a solid track record of developing QBs. As much as we want to hate on Sanchez, it's as much if not more the coaches fault that Sanchez was a bust.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
We need some personnel that have a solid track record of developing QBs. As much as we want to hate on Sanchez, it's as much if not more the coaches fault that Sanchez was a bust.
But really, maybe we're barking up the wrong trees. Flacco hasn't exactly exploded and Rivers has actually regressed. Maybe we should be looking into the QB coach somewhere like GB where they've been working with a proven winner.

Of course, there's much more to an offense than just the QB. A coach can only do so much, but you kind of need to just have the right kind of QB in place. I feel like too much focus is going into finding a guy that miraculously turn QBs into gods, and not enough is placed on finding an offensive genius (not someone that thinks they are, aka Schotty).
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two very nice posts from you there TTGS. Perhaps if they bring in Caldwell they could grab a QB coach from the Falcons. I like Hue, don't like Cam, and think Norv is better on paper than he would be in real life. Maybe he's like Wade Phillips though where he's just much better suited to be a coordinator.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I think Norv is a much better OC than he is a HC. He's pretty much the offensive version of Wade Philips which Derza alluded to. I would take Norv in a heartbeat and draft a QB for him to work with.

Hue Jackson I love.

I want no part of Cam Cameron. Baltimore fans hated him and it should tell you something that he got fired mid season.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Some smoke that Scott Cohen is the favorite for the GM job. Would not be happy at all with getting an internal candidate. Says a lot about how appealing the job is, too.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Some smoke that Scott Cohen is the favorite for the GM job. Would not be happy at all with getting an internal candidate. Says a lot about how appealing the job is, too.

Cohen has good resume outside Jets organization before joined up with Jets. However, I am not sure how strong is the relationship between him and Terry Bradshaw. I hope Cohen has better sense than counting on Bradway for anything other than scouting.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Yeah, I think Norv is a much better OC than he is a HC. He's pretty much the offensive version of Wade Philips which Derza alluded to. I would take Norv in a heartbeat and draft a QB for him to work with.

Hue Jackson I love.

I want no part of Cam Cameron. Baltimore fans hated him and it should tell you something that he got fired mid season.

If Rex Ryan actually means to have wild pass offense then Hue Jackson is out of question. Cameron can do it but his success depends on quarterback's ability. Indeed, it is unfortunate that we have freaking Mark Sanchez.

Turner is the clear ONE so far this forum confirms.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

lol... Rob Ryan was fired by Cowboys. Thank god, Jets promote Thurman to DC. I want no part of Rob.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Yikes. Pettine to the Bills. I kind of feel like there was some bad blood there...

Well, the worst thing about it could be if DeVito and Landry go there. That would be a real bummer. I hope they take Eric Smith though. He's awful.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yikes. Pettine to the Bills. I kind of feel like there was some bad blood there...

Well, the worst thing about it could be if DeVito and Landry go there. That would be a real bummer. I hope they take Eric Smith though. He's awful.

Just what media wants. lol. Switch back to 3-4 or what?

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Just what media wants. lol. Switch back to 3-4 or what?
Yeah, I wonder what Super Mario is going to have to say about that.

Is it just me or does everyone else like the candidates we're going after in this second round of interviews more than the ones they went after in the first? Maybe I was just hearing Gamble, Caldwell, Cohen, and Ross too often. Not really sure who to believe in. Hopefully they land on the right guy, and hopefully the sticking point isn't about finding someone that can deal with Rex.

What's funny about the Khan thing is that apparently it is widely believed that if Cowher returned to coaching, Khan would follow him. Cowher just stated he anticipates returning. And, Cowher apparently bought a condo in East Manhattan not too long ago. That would be a pretty crazy turn of events. Sounds like he isn't really in-tune with scouting and all that though. But I'm sure none of that will happen anyway...

EDIT: Oh. But I hear Cohen is the favorite. Well then. Well then...

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-09-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Didn't Mario play for a bit in the 3-4 in Houston?

I liked Caldwell and Ross more than the guys in this second round of interviews. Gamble about as much as Khan and Raye. Khan to me is a numbers guy, we need a personnel guy.

They're going to go through a bunch of interviews, take Cohen, and say he was the most impressive. Because they want someone Rex can push around. It's going to be a disaster.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jerry Angelo? That's it. Let's hire Scott Cohen.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Didn't Mario play for a bit in the 3-4 in Houston?
He did. And he was against it.

Quote:
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

So to recap expanded Jets GM search: Upcoming interviews for Jerry Angelo, Omar Khan, Brian Gaine, John Idzik. Jim Popp also on radar. #nyj
Khan was with Pittsburgh. Gaint with the Dolphins. Idzik with the Seahawks. Popp... CFL. Knowing nothing about them, I will blindly put all my chips in Idzik's hard to pronounce basket.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/jim-popp

Skill set he has all.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).
So his father coached with the Jets and also with the Colts when they won the Super Bowl. He personally was on the staff when both Arizona and Tampa Bay went to their respective Super Bowls, and he might be going this year with the Seahawks. He's a numbers guy, a football guy, and comes from a football family. I'm down. Maybe I'll try to find out where he lives and put Jets stuff everywhere...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So his father coached with the Jets and also with the Colts when they won the Super Bowl. He personally was on the staff when both Arizona and Tampa Bay went to their respective Super Bowls, and he might be going this year with the Seahawks. He's a numbers guy, a football guy, and comes from a football family. I'm down. Maybe I'll try to find out where he lives and put Jets stuff everywhere...

Whatever you do, Don't stalk Holly.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Whatever you do, Don't stalk Holly.
Actually, funny story, but I'm an alum of Western Washington University and currently live in Bellingham (where WWU is). I wonder how much say Bryant has in his dad's work...

EDIT:

Quote:
Jeff Capellini ‏@GreenLanternJet

Been talking to various people close to situation all day and the consensus is Cohen will not be promoted unless roof caves in. #Jets #NFL
Quote:
Jeff Capellini ‏@GreenLanternJet

From same discussions, #Jets serious about changing how they do things. Due diligence on GM hire, not taking bait at pressers as examples.
Those things make me happy. Can't believe anything unless it actually happens or doesn't happen though.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.