Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I don't understand why people look at past drafts to determine this one. Who cares if Fisher has never used a first round pick on a offensive lineman, that tells me nothing.
I certainly hope that you pick your investments better than your statement. While it is true that past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, it is also true that trends and patterns DO have meaning and must be factored into any subsequent evaluation process.

Fish has shown a certain methodology when it comes to the NFL draft. He has not (to this point anyway) valued offensive linemen enough to select them in the first round.

That is a fact.

The only question is will the trend continue. And that, my friend, is why the NFL Draft is the kick that it is .

Stay tuned.....

Last edited by ArkyRamsFan : 01-09-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seem to recall us picking up a couple of other future draft picks in last year's draft besides the 1st from Washington. Does anyone know for sure how many picks we have in this year's draft?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jaguars have requested to interview Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer for their head coaching vacancy.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
The Jaguars have requested to interview Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer for their head coaching vacancy.
Please no, Sam needs to stay with the same OC back to back years at least once.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan View Post
I certainly hope that you pick your investments better than your statement. While it is true that past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, it is also true that trends and patterns DO have meaning and must be factored into any subsequent evaluation process.

Fish has shown a certain methodology when it comes to the NFL draft. He has not (to this point anyway) valued offensive linemen enough to select them in the first round.

That is a fact.

The only question is will the trend continue. And that, my friend, is why the NFL Draft is the kick that it is .

Stay tuned.....

Yeah but this team is totally different than his previous teams. Plus I'm almost positive he never had two first round picks to play with.

Marvin Lewis never drafted a Wide Receiver in the first round before AJ Green.

In the 10 drafts he was a part of before 2006, Tom Coughlin never took a Defensive End in the first round.

In the 11 drafts Bill Belichick was apart of before 2011, he never took a Tackle in the first round. Nate Solder, Tackle, Colorado was their 1st round pick that year.

In 12 Drafts Andy Reid was a part of before 2011, he not once took a Guard with his first round selection. In 2011, he selected Danny Watkins. Guard. Baylor. And what are Chiefs fans doing hoping for Geno Smith? everyone knows the last Quarterback Reid has taken in the first round was 14 years ago.

Boom. Roasted.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be really nice to keep Schottenheimer, but if he gets hired away, there isn't anything we can do about it. This is one reason why so many teams have offensive-minded head coaches these days. It allows them to keep continuity year in, year out.

If he does get hired away, though, hopefully it will happen soon. There is going to be a run on coordinators soon as head coaches get hired. Any ideas on who we might want to pick up if he does go? Norv Turner seems to be the hot name everyone wants as a new OC. How about Mike Mularkey? Both seem like guys who really know how to handle an offense, but probably won't be hired away to become a head coach again anytime soon.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

1. Chance Warmack OG - The Rams need to sure up their offensive Line. Warmack is supposed to be the best Offensive Guard to come out in years. It's an easy choice here.

1. Keenan Allen WR - This was a tough pick for me, I was hoping Eric Fisher would slide down to my pick but it wasn't meant to be. I kept going back and forth on four Receivers. Sam needs a true #1 Wideout and I believe Allen can be just that.

2. Tony Jefferson FS - Rams safety play was absolutely horrendous this season, Craig Dahl, I mean who the **** is that? Jefferson IMO is the best safety in the draft, followed closely by Vaccaro and Swearinger.

3. Chase Thomas LB - Rams need another Linebacker. James Laurinities is solid in the middle and Dunbar proved to be one of the better Free Agent signings last offseason, dude looks like a beast.

4. Marcus Lattimore RB - He has major injury concerns and who knows if he ever comes back to what he once was. But with Steven Jackson on the roster and the emergence of Daryl Richardson, I think the Rams can take their time with Lattimore. Put him om IR, stash him away for a year.

5. Shawn Williams SS - Did I mention the Rams safety play was horrible? the more competition back there the better.

6. Jake Stoneburner TE - Kendricks improved a lot from last season, didn't have near as many drops. But I think the Rams need two pass-catching Tight Ends, and I hate that Kendricks is only 6'2. He won't be much of a blocker, but I think Stoneburner can make some plays in this offense.

7. Theo Riddick RB - There were probably better backs on the board, but I just love Theo's game. Won't ever be a #1 type runningback for any team, but I think he can be a very good 3rd down back. Kevin Faulk 2.0

That's how the draft turned out. I'm not a big fan of not selecting a Tackle in the draft but it's just how it played out, there were Tackles on the board that I liked with some of my picks but I just felt like there was better value on the board and I wasn't going to reach for a position of need.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Welp, we just hired Rob Ryan.

Interesting, considering he's a 3-4 guy.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Thomas says it ain't a done deal yet...

https://twitter.com/jthom1/status/289934173056151552
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ram Fan,

Someone here educate me about your defensive coordinator, and how you were able to contain Kaepernick and the Niners offense, not once, but twice this year.

Our guy, Dom Capers, should be fired over what I saw last night.
It's not the first time his defense has seen opposing QBs light him up historically in the playoffs.

3 years ago, Warner put on a passing clinic like never seen before, mostly because the scheme was awful and Warner was never touched.

Who's your guy, and what's the scheme?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Since Gregg Williams was suspended for the season, It was really Jeff Fisher's defense. Rams run the 43 cover-2 scheme, which asks a lot out of your middle linebacker.

We really didn't do anything special to contain CK. I think it was more of him being unexperienced, and we took advantage of the mistakes he made. Like the pitch/fumble to Ginn for a touchdown, and the safety he gave us.

It's all about playing disciplined football when you're going up against such an athletic Quarterback like CK, not leaving any gapping holes for him to run through, And everyone on the team being willing to come up and help out versus the run. Our Linebackers played huge those games.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I'm really warming up to the idea of the first pick being used on Dion Jordan. Just an athletic freak.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I love Jordan. I am seeing that, more and more, teams are looking for the hybrid player that can line up in multiple positions/fronts and be effective. In Jordan I see a player who can be a beast rushing off the edge, as well as a sideline-to-sideline linebacker against the run. I also think he has fantastic speed and coverage skills and could become that specialty player that handles TE's I like to call the "Cornerbacker."
Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

There has been a lot of discussion here about Fisher's past drafts, and whether or not he would or should draft offensive linemen early this offseason. I think we can all agree that offensive linemen are a big need here and the position will be addressed. How we go about it is the root of the discussion.

I took a look at all 17 of Fisher's drafts (16 in Tennessee, plus last year's draft here) and dissected them position by position, as well as round by round. I came up with the following data...

Fisher's drafts average 8.0 position players (not counting special teamers) per draft. He has taken 61 players on offense and 75 on defense, for an average of 3.6 offensive and 4.4 defensive per year.

Fisher has drafted 34 defensive backs. Of those, only 3 were drafted in the 1st round, with most of them coming in rounds 3-6. Fisher loves to keep his secondary loaded, that's for sure. When he took Jenkins and Johnson in rounds 2 and 3 last year, we were all very pleased at how well we addressed the area of need, yet that was pretty much status quo in Fisher's drafts. In fact, of those 17 drafts, 2001 and 2008 were the only 2 drafts in which Fisher did not draft 2 DB's...in those drafts, he took one each. If we ever have a porous secondary, it will not be due to a lack of young talent.

The next most-drafted position was WR with 21, most heavily taken in rounds 2-4. Only 3 of his drafts were devoid of a WR. It is safe to say we will likely be taking another wideout this year.

He has drafted 15 DE's and 11 DT's. Of the 15 DE's, 8 have been in the first two rounds, and another 4 in the 4th round. The DT's are pretty evenly split from round to round.

He has also taken 15 linebackers, with the bulk of them coming from rounds 3-5. He has only drafted 1 linebacker in the 1st round and none in the second.

Back to the offense, over the years Fisher has taken 12 RB's, with 7 of them being in the first 3 rounds. He pegs them early and then takes a flier on them late.

Offensive linemen, he has taken 6 tackles, 6 guards, and 5 centers, for a total of 17 in 17 years. 11 of the 17 have been drafted in rounds 5-7.

6 TE's have been taken, with 4 in the 3rd round. He has never drafted one in the 1st round or after the 4th.

Fisher has taken 4 QB's, with 2 being 1st rounders (McNair and Young) and the others being a 5 and a 6.

He has drafted 1 FB, in the 7th round...he didn't make the team.

Of his 15 first rounders, he has had great success. Only Andre Woolfolk (2003) and Kenny Britt (2009) would be considered busts. I don't hold him responsible for Vince Young whatsoever. The list includes Steve McNair, Eddie George, Jevon Kearse, Keith Bulluck, Albert Haynesworth, Pacman Jones, Michael Griffin and Chris Johnson. Some headaches, for sure, but his eye for talent is excellent.

While I am fully expecting the Rams to make some moves to pick up additional picks, if they were to stand pat I think the draft could go something like this...

1a) Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon.

1b) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

2) Matt Elam, S, Florida

3) Jordan Reed, TE, Florida

4) Kyle Long, OT, Oregon

5) Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington St.

6) Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

7) Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Woo, Jordan and Hunt, those are some big boys we'd be adding to that defense. I love it. Like you said, Jordan can be a monster rushing off the edge and he can also stand up and play linebacker for us, which will probably be his main position on our team. And Hunt can play that "William Hayes"-role and be that really good 3rd defensive end and kick inside when need be.

I like Jordan Reed but I'm not a huge fan of Elam's. I know he's a big hitter but he goes for the knockout hit 100% of the time, which leads to a lot of missed tackles. I think I'd much rather have Tony Jefferson or D.J. Swearinger.

Love Kyle Long, if he's there in the 4th I think it's a steal. Unfortunetly I think he's off the board at some point in the 2nd round. He's really underrated and with the Lewan and Matthews deciding to go back to school, I think some players get bumped up. I like Rick Wagner if we're looking for a Tackle in the 3rd-4th rounds. And I'm a big Wilson fan, my only concern with him is maturity. I've heard he has some growing up to do. Could be wrong though. There's no doubt he has talent, heck last year at this time weren't people arguing he was the best wideout in the 2013 class?

Huge fan of Knile Davis, I think he's fallen off the map a bit with his injury and his down year this season. But the dude is a monster when 100% healthy.

Love it overall man, I'd be pretty happy if our draft turned out that way.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 01-15-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Man I totally forgot about Ronnie Wingo in this draft. Arkansas has three of my favorite backs in this class, Davis, Johnson and Wingo. All are going to be later picks, Wingo probably won't even get drafted but he certainly has the measurables. 6'3 230 pounds, 4.48-4.52 speed.

Plus it doesn't hurt that Wingo is didn't really take a beating in college, only 208 carries in his college career.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 01-16-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Woo, Jordan and Hunt, those are some big boys we'd be adding to that defense. I love it. Like you said, Jordan can be a monster rushing off the edge and he can also stand up and play linebacker for us, which will probably be his main position on our team. And Hunt can play that "William Hayes"-role and be that really good 3rd defensive end and kick inside when need be.

I like Jordan Reed but I'm not a huge fan of Elam's. I know he's a big hitter but he goes for the knockout hit 100% of the time, which leads to a lot of missed tackles. I think I'd much rather have Tony Jefferson or D.J. Swearinger.

Love Kyle Long, if he's there in the 4th I think it's a steal. Unfortunetly I think he's off the board at some point in the 2nd round. He's really underrated and with the Lewan and Matthews deciding to go back to school, I think some players get bumped up. I like Rick Wagner if we're looking for a Tackle in the 3rd-4th rounds. And I'm a big Wilson fan, my only concern with him is maturity. I've heard he has some growing up to do. Could be wrong though. There's no doubt he has talent, heck last year at this time weren't people arguing he was the best wideout in the 2013 class?

Huge fan of Knile Davis, I think he's fallen off the map a bit with his injury and his down year this season. But the dude is a monster when 100% healthy.

Love it overall man, I'd be pretty happy if our draft turned out that way.
I like guys like Jordan and Hunt for our defense, as they can both play multiple positions and be effective. Think about the possibilities of a passrush that includes Long, Quinn, Brockers, Hunt, and Jordan. That could be absolutely deadly. I think one thing that I took from all that research of past drafts is that Fisher will never stop reloading on defense, he will never worry about having too much talent, and if a guy can play, he will find a way to use him. In the past it has been more like, "We have this guy, so we are set there." I can foresee a roster not too far off in the future where most backups on this team are guys that the commentators would say "he would probably be starting on most teams."

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the safeties in question, so I'm not really sure which one we will take. I am almost certain, though, that we will draft a safety in the first 3-4 rounds this year.

I can't say that I have ever seen Wingo play, but I like Dennis Johnson, and I know that Knile Davis has a lot of ability when healthy. I am sure we will discover other backs that intrigue us as we move along this offseason as well.

Lastly, I don't think Long goes in the 2nd round. He has a lot going for him, but he really is a G/RT prospect, and I don't see him being an LT at the next level other than in an emergency. Plus, he has some off-field issues that are behind him but will likely punish him come draft day anyway. I don't think the guys going back to school is going to have as much effect on the draft as people are talking about. If this was a weak class for linemen, or even an average class, then I would agree, but this class is really deep for the big guys, which is probably why those guys went back to school in the first place.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Here's an interesting article I found about Kenjon Barner and Dion Jordan trying to add size before the Combine. It turns out Jordan was playing at 226 pounds towards the end of the season, has his weight up to 234, and is working to get to 250 by the Combine without giving up speed and quickness.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...8726--nfl.html
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I think we may be out of the clear with Schottenheimer leaving. With the hires of Trestman in Chicago and Kelly in Philadelphia, who were thought to be somewhat of wild cards, there are essentially 2 extra coaches available. Schottenheimer had been linked to Jacksonville, but reports are now coming out that the Jags are talking to both of Seattle's coordinators. Arizona is interviewing Seattle OC Darrell Bevell.

Also available are Jay Gruden, Ken Whisenhunt, and Brian Billick, among others.

How cool would it be if Schottenheimer stayed put and Seattle lost both of its coordinators?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I think we may be out of the clear with Schottenheimer leaving. With the hires of Trestman in Chicago and Kelly in Philadelphia, who were thought to be somewhat of wild cards, there are essentially 2 extra coaches available. Schottenheimer had been linked to Jacksonville, but reports are now coming out that the Jags are talking to both of Seattle's coordinators. Arizona is interviewing Seattle OC Darrell Bevell.

Also available are Jay Gruden, Ken Whisenhunt, and Brian Billick, among others.

How cool would it be if Schottenheimer stayed put and Seattle lost both of its coordinators?
What I have been hearing is that the new Jax GM (Caldwell?) is a good bud with the Whiners OC, Greg Roman. Really hoping that Atlanta thumps the Whiners this Sunday so that Roman can be free to take the Jags job and leave our Schotty alone.

Then if Roman hires say a Bradley or Horton as his DC then we have the best of both worlds.

At any rate I reiterate, "Leave our Schotty alone!"
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Yeah, I just don't see Schottenheimer's resume standing up against many of the others out there. Someone would really have to fall in love with him at this point.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I just don't see Schottenheimer's resume standing up against many of the others out there. Someone would really have to fall in love with him at this point.
Unfortunately a lot of us thought the same thing about Pat Schurmer. Still can't believe he scored a HC job based on his performance in St. Louis.

Every year it seems it is one surprise hire as an HC after another......
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Any thoughts on who might replace Schotty here if he were to leave?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

A couple of players here that we might want to take a look at in the Shrine game. You know that Fisher loves those small-school guys. Of the 136 players he has drafted, 51 have been small-school guys, or about 38%. The league average is 26%.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-dra...7461--nfl.html
Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Any thoughts on who might replace Schotty here if he were to leave?
Someone probably with the same philosophy. Maybe even a promotion from within. Heard Frank Cignetti (Our QB Coach) would be the guy.
Closed Thread