Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4441188.story

I could get behind this. At least he would be qualified to fix the offensive line.
Yeah, he makes a ton of sense on paper. I'm really glad Emery's considering him. He'd probably keep Bates, too, which is a plus. Bates was his OA in 2006.

If I remember correctly, he was the run game coordinator when Bates was the passing game coordinator in 2008.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not going to worry too much until we actually hire someone. There is no harm in casting a wide net. They might just be using it as an opportunity to interview some of these guys for other positions down the line as well. If one of these guys were to become available as a coordinator or position coach in the future, we would already have interview experience with them.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

How about Gus Bradley?
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
How about Gus Bradley?
I think he should get some consideration somewhere, but probably not from us.

Not only have we been interviewing almost entirely offensive coaches (with an odd special teamer thrown in) but I'm getting the idea that there is a trend towards making your head coach your defacto offensive coordinator as well.

I think GMs see it as less disruptive if the defensive coordinator is hired away, meanwhile, if you have an OC who is successful and he gets hired away as a head coach (like, for example, what might happen to the Bengals if Jay Gruden were to be hired) it's far more disruptive to the team.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i read a report that the wide casting is similar what al davis used to do. Pick the minds of all sorts of people on how to fix the offense and Cutler without really wanting to hire everyone, just to get ideas.

I like that thought.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just some fun 2012 Jay Cutler data:

-On Pass Attempts 1-10, Cutler is 55/106 for 530 yards, 5 TDs, 7 INTs, and a 58.8 Passer Rating.

-On Pass Attempts 11-20, Cutler is 94/144 for 1114 yards, 5 TDs, 4 INTs, and a 88.7 Passer Rating

-On Pass Attempts 21-30, Cutler is 66/108 for 838 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs, and a 92.3 Passer Rating

-On Pass Attempts 31-40, Cutler is 17/32 for 300 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and a 116.7 Passer Rating

The more he threw, the better he got. Less rushing, please!

-Remember all of those times we got stuffed trying to get just 1 or 2 yards on the ground for a first down or TD this season? Jay Cutler had zero rushing attempts in those situations. Thanks for throwing out the QB sneak, Tice!

-On Cutler choking in the red zone:
Cutler was 25/47 for 189 yards, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, and a 102.7 Passer Rating.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

https://twitter.com/seankjensen/stat...54767020994560

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Nothing too exciting, but it's all interesting. Things read from beat reporters on twitter:

1) A current NFL head coach asked his team for permission to call Phil Emery to express his interest in the Bears job. He was denied. Sounds like someone's trying to get himself fired. I can't even imagine who this would be.
2) Jay Cutler likes Risk Dennison. Not like, more than anyone else in particular or anything. Just likes him. Exact words from Cutler: "Rico is one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL. Great guy off the field. Very, very smart. Intellectual guy. He’s going to get a head coaching job at some point. Great candidate. I have a lot of respect for him. I think he’s definitely a good candidate in there."
3) Emery's flying to Houston Friday to interview Dennison. Dennison supposedly really wants the job. He's still on the top of my list. O line guy who already has experience with Marshall and Cutler in a successful offense. Believes in zone blocking. History as a player, which helps with respect from the guys working for him. Endorsed by Cutler. Yes, please!
4) Emery has already interviewed two college coaches without any leaks to the media. Don't care.
5) One coach candidate turned down the Bears when they called looking to interview him. Gruden the elder? Shanahan the younger?

Last edited by Monomach : 01-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Current coach looking to get out...hmmm....

Toss out anyone in the division or any of the playoff caliber teams right off the bat I think.

Rex Ryan is a possibility but a stretch. Mike Mularkey maybe? He could be getting fired by the Jags new GM. No thanks to him anyway. Munchak similar to Mularkey. Dennis Allen perhaps for similar reasons as well. Could even be Jason Garrett. Ron Rivera wouldn't shock me either...

Probably someone from that list if it's not BS. No one I would want anyway.

Dennison is seeming more and more likely. Let's hope he can fix the damn o-line. A patient, balanced runner like Forte running in a scheme like the Texans could be phenomenal.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ron Rivera interviewed Dave Toub for their S/T coordinator position...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Boo. Why would we get rid of him?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Emery must not be too fond of him if he's interviewing 3 other ST coordinators, and Toub might feel a little disrespected.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Boo. Why would we get rid of him?
I don't think we are, necessarily. I dug a little deeper. Emery still hasn't released him from his contract the way some Panthers blogs are stating. He just gave permission when Rivera asked to interview him.

I think Emery is going to keep Toub around until the new HC decides whether he wants him. This interview was probably just to let him prepare a landing spot if the new head coach doesn't. Only fair with everything Toub's done for us.

I hope the new HC has enough sense to retain him.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
I don't think we are, necessarily. I dug a little deeper. Emery still hasn't released him from his contract the way some Panthers blogs are stating. He just gave permission when Rivera asked to interview him.

I think Emery is going to keep Toub around until the new HC decides whether he wants him. This interview was probably just to let him prepare a landing spot if the new head coach doesn't. Only fair with everything Toub's done for us.

I hope the new HC has enough sense to retain him.
I do too, but don't underestimate the power of egos and friendships when it comes to coaches.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

In my dislike for Trestman's candidacy, I know I mentioned how much he talked up Tebow as a legit starting QB.

I just saw this. Turns out, he's not just talking. He really wants to put that man-love into practice. His team acquired the CFL negotiating rights to Tebow a few weeks ago.

I shudder to think of what that would mean with how little it would cost for the Jets to hand him over to the Bears if they went a-calling. They'd probably jump at a seventh round pick just to get rid of the headaches that come with him.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

This is absolute bullcrap. There is absolutely NO WAY that emery wants someone that wants to implement Tebow. Just because the CFL wants him, and he maybe make sense there, doesnt mean he is going to take him for the bears.

Emery made a huge point in saying Cutler is the guy. Various people talked about how Trestman could be a good fit. He adapts extremely well to situations, not a lot of HC have succeeded from just simplying going to the CFL. It is a different game over there. And its not like he never worked in the NFL before.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=8836100

I dont know if he is the best fit. Who knows? But to bash him so hard for such stupid things just seem like a Monomach move.
Would I enjoy Dennison? Probably. But Trestman doesnt seem like a horrible option.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no problem with us signing Tebow if he's released. I think Cutler could use the push.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

I really dont want Tebow. It is a waste of money.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...21495768870912

I like it

Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets are apparently interviewing Jerry Angelo again for their GM vacancy. I had remembered his tenure in Chicago ending badly, but I see some mixed feelings on this board. Thoughts on him?

Last edited by derza222 : 01-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Jets are apparently interviewing Jerry Angelo again for their GM vacancy. If memory serves his tenure in Chicago ended quite badly. Any positives to having him as a GM or should I continue to expect to be disappointed with him being hired if that goes down?
You could certainly do worse but you could do better. Had he done better with his first round picks, he would have been more successful. But look at some of the guys he got outside of round 1.

Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester, Mark Anderson, Matt Forte, Earl Bennett, Henry Melton, and Major Wright. Unfortunately, his best first round picks (Greg Olsen and Cedric Benson) were soon shipped away.

Also, he had a record of picking special-teams only type players way to early. Sometimes is worked (Hester) but usually (Garrett Wolfe, Dan Bazuin, and Michael Okwo all in one year plus Craig Steltz) it was just a wasted pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Also, he had a record of picking special-teams only type players way to early. Sometimes is worked (Hester) but usually (Garrett Wolfe, Dan Bazuin, and Michael Okwo all in one year plus Craig Steltz) it was just a wasted pick.
Wouldn't call Steltz a wasted pick at all. Solid backup, five seasons on the team, not a bad pick at all for the 4th round.

The rest, yes, though Bazuin wasn't a special teams pick as best as I can recall.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Wouldn't call Steltz a wasted pick at all. Solid backup, five seasons on the team, not a bad pick at all for the 4th round.

The rest, yes, though Bazuin wasn't a special teams pick as best as I can recall.
Steltz was 4th round? For some reason I though he was 2nd too. And you're right about Bazuin. He was never healthy enough or good enough to even play on special teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my mock I had us trading that 4th to move up to Buffalo's pick to jump Denver so we could get Clady. Boo

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
This is absolute bullcrap. There is absolutely NO WAY that emery wants someone that wants to implement Tebow. Just because the CFL wants him, and he maybe make sense there, doesnt mean he is going to take him for the bears.

Emery made a huge point in saying Cutler is the guy. Various people talked about how Trestman could be a good fit. He adapts extremely well to situations, not a lot of HC have succeeded from just simplying going to the CFL. It is a different game over there. And its not like he never worked in the NFL before.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=8836100

I dont know if he is the best fit. Who knows? But to bash him so hard for such stupid things just seem like a Monomach move.
Would I enjoy Dennison? Probably. But Trestman doesnt seem like a horrible option.
The CFL rules are a much worse fit for Tebow than the NFL rules. The unlimited number of pre-snap men in motion basically shows everything about the defense. That's wasted on Tebow. The slot backs' pre-snap forward motion "running start" means that they're working the middle at the same time that an NFL receiver is turning around to catch a short screen. With Tebow's accuracy, he'd be throwing 4 picks per game trying to hit them in traffic.

The CFL benefits fast-working, extremely accurate, mid-range pocket passers. Makes them look like hall of famers. Think Chad Pennington, not Tim Tebow.

Now there's this. Don't know anything about the source, but he doesn't sound like a meathead.

But, seriously...the single most damning thing about Trestman; the thing that's made him a joke in my eyes for the past decade, is that when the Oakland Raiders lost the 2002 Superbowl, Rich Gannon threw five picks.

The story broke ahortly afterward that he threw all those picks because the Raiders were using a script of plays to call in certain situations. That script was implemented before by Jon Gruden, the guy who wrote it. Marc Trestman is such a genius that he called the exact same plays in the exact same situations that Gruden had before him. Gruden knew which plays Trestman was calling before they'd even been called into the Oakland huddle and his D players already knew them because Oakland hadn't changed that all year. Gruden played Gannon in practice and showed them exactly how each play broke down.

The student tried to beat the master by doing absolutely nothing new, and failed miserably.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-14-2013 at 06:52 PM.