Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...nator_can.html

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...tor_can_1.html

Some interesting names thrown around here. Different ones, at least. By a wide margin, I'd be most interested in Doug Nussmeier. He is interviewing for the HC job at Southern Miss, though. I do assume OC in the NFL pays more, but maybe he's always wanted to be a collegiate HC. He did a lot of good things here at UW and everyone saw what Alabama did this year. He himself is a once prolific passing/rushing QB, and he's had a great track record working with QBs everywhere he's gone. I would be a fan. Second favorite would be Geep Chryst. He probably wouldn't install the type of offense they're looking for, though. Any names you guys are hearing about?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know, man. I just want a veteran OC with proven track. All of those randomized candidates scare me for an obvious reason.

I try to build the Jets full scale mock but it is impossible because of vacant GM and OC. I am not kind of person who goes after players for name like many people do.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I look into this Jim Popp guy, the more I think he's the right sort of person for the New York spotlight. It might just be adding fuel to the fire, but he seems like he could handle it. Since he just got passed over for the Carolina job, I wonder if that would factor into their decision any not wanting to take him. But really, though it's a different league, he technically has the most experience handling all the roles of the GM besides Jerry Angelo, who would probably be the least liked GM choice of all the current ones besides Cohen. I don't know. Steve Mariucci gave him a ringing endorsement, if that counts for anything haha.

Blindly believing in them, I'd like Idzik or Popp of the current batch.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

So Westhoff went on a Miami radio station and bashed everything but the Special Teams on the Jets. That's honestly what's been the problem. We sell out for talent, including with a lot of the coaches, and never really consider the ramifications of not finding the best character people for the organization. It's like we're run by a Madden player. It's a real shame. I liked Westhoff, too.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
So Westhoff went on a Miami radio station and bashed everything but the Special Teams on the Jets. That's honestly what's been the problem. We sell out for talent, including with a lot of the coaches, and never really consider the ramifications of not finding the best character people for the organization. It's like we're run by a Madden player. It's a real shame. I liked Westhoff, too.

He also went on to say that the Jets never even practiced packages for Tebow. Not in training camp, and not during the season. Fans were waiting for the Jets to unveil a wildcat with Tebow, but apparently so were the coaches. It was never going to happen. He called the Tebow situation an "absolute mess" and a "distraction". And he claims that still to this day he has no idea why the organization did it. While I guess we already knew what a mess this was, it really bothers me how disfunctional the organization is. That, and all these GM candidates leaking out that they are not interested in the Jets because they are being labeled as a "Salary Cap Nightmare". All these random names we keep throwing out there is out of desperation apparently. How did it get this bad?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's just not a good situation for multiple reasons. Pretty clear Rex is running the show more than a HC should and Woody meddles, so that's got to scare off potential candidates right off the bat. Plus the cap situation is terrible, there are a few overpaid average players who have lots of guaranteed money and are tough to get rid of in the next couple of years, I can see why a hot candidate wouldn't want the job over another one.

I've said it before, this team could potentially make Rex work if they gave him a strong OC who takes complete control of the offense and a GM who has complete control of personnel decisions with scheme fit and need input from Rex. That's clearly not going to happen though, likely in either case, which is too bad.

As an aside, I read a rumor that they wanted to keep Pettine, axe Rex, and hang on to the same defense while going in a different HC direction and Pettine was't interested. Would make some sense as this defense is much better on the field than on paper and that obviously has a lot to do with scheme so they'd want to hang on to that but probably bring in an offensive minded HC. When that wasn't an option they were stuck hanging on to Rex. I don't think they'd really be that attached to the defense, but who knows.

Also, they haven't really determined whether they need/want a personnel guy or a cap guy. Really I think that depends on what has been going on from a personnel perspective behind the scenes. Was Tannenbaum ignoring Bradway/Clinkscales/Cohen and making moves on his own? There are rumors that Clinks left because of it and Bradway apparently was pushing hard for Russell Wilson but got ignored (link below), so maybe. If that's the case, a cap/negotiations guy to clean up this mess who will trust the personnel guys would be solid, because it seems like we have more personnel guys than cap guys in the FO. But if not I think personnel has to be the priority.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...jets-executive
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Also, they haven't really determined whether they need/want a personnel guy or a cap guy. Really I think that depends on what has been going on from a personnel perspective behind the scenes. Was Tannenbaum ignoring Bradway/Clinkscales/Cohen and making moves on his own? There are rumors that Clinks left because of it and Bradway apparently was pushing hard for Russell Wilson but got ignored (link below), so maybe. If that's the case, a cap/negotiations guy to clean up this mess who will trust the personnel guys would be solid, because it seems like we have more personnel guys than cap guys in the FO. But if not I think personnel has to be the priority.

It would make more sense if the Jets hired a cap guy with the mess we're in. To correct myself, "Salary Cap Hell" is actually how they described it. As of now the Jets are $19.4 million over the cap and only have 10 returning starters under contract. I thought Tannenbaum was supposed to be a cap guy?

Also, with Tebow's path to Jax no longer looking like a possibility, anyone think the Jets hold on to him?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post

Also, with Tebow's path to Jax no longer looking like a possibility, anyone think the Jets hold on to him?
Been saying it for a long time and I still believe it but I think Tebow is out of the league next year. He's only a ticket/jersey sales gimmick he has no business in the NFL as a player.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
It would make more sense if the Jets hired a cap guy with the mess we're in. To correct myself, "Salary Cap Hell" is actually how they described it. As of now the Jets are $19.4 million over the cap and only have 10 returning starters under contract. I thought Tannenbaum was supposed to be a cap guy?

Think they cut him to bring a new QB onto the roster and due to the aforementioned salary cap concerns.

That's not entirely correct either. As of now they're probably not quite that much over the cap based on the cap page I use and they really have 12-13 starters under contract at that number (depends whether or not you count Coples).

They can cut Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Eric Smith to save a little over $31.5 million. That's two starters, but if you count Coples and presume that Davis will start at ILB that's 10 starters that a new GM has to bring in (plus a kicker).

Add in Sanchez as a starter who needs to be replaced and that's 11 position players: QB, RB, FB, TE, LG, RG, RT, OLB, OLB, S, S. And a kicker. Fullback shouldn't be hard and I'm sure Bush/Allen will get shots at S plus Ducasse/Schlauderaff at G. There's a chance they just go with Powell as next year's RB too. Obviously QB is a huge hole, TE is another massive one, offensive line could look a lot different/worse, there are nearly no OLB's currently on the roster either. Should be an interesting offseason/season next year.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Considering what we have and don't have on the defensive side of the ball, I feel like this would be an excellent time to shift completely to the 4-3. If you allow Wilkerson to move around and re-sign DeVito, there's a decent little rotation there.

On offense, just considering the strengths of the draft class, we might not even need a FB. We might want to just consider going into a one-back set and drafting several receivers. Personally, I'd be interested in acquiring extra picks so we can draft a RB, TE, and WR on the first two days. Of course, the OL needs a lot of help. They really need to put a lot of work into the offense this off-season. I know we have holes everywhere, but the offense is still significantly behind the defense, and nothing is really going to get accomplished unless they fix that O-Line. We could get fill-in Safeties much better than the likes of Eric Smith.

Too bad we have no money. A lot of very good FAs at WR, OT, and S that could have been the missing pieces. That is, if we had a good core to build around.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I tend to agree on a move to a 4-3. Easier to find one pass rusher than two. Could go with ? - Ellis - Wilkerson - Coples DL moving forward and Davis I think is a better WLB than ILB. Not too hard to find a good value at SLB, plenty of DE's in the draft, then you just need safeties which aren't super crucial in this defense. I think the switch hurts Wilkerson some and Harris (who had a terrible year) a lot. They play a decent amount of 4 man fronts anyway, but I don't think there will be a permanent switch as long as Rex is around.

Personally I'm fine with not going with a FB. Either run a two TE, two WR, one RB set, three wide with a TE and a RB, four wide with a TE or a RB, or five wide. A guy like Baker can always play some in the backfield if you want to do something like that. Would require investment in TE's since there aren't many on the roster, but I'd be down with that.

Offensive line obviously needs a lot of players. The unit isn't as bad as it's made out to be, just not elite, and a good QB would make it look a lot better in pass pro. So would better RB's in the run game, frankly. Will be interesting to see how they decide to invest because I could see it either way.

Think this has to be a rebuilding year and I presume they're going to concentrate on one unit for the most part. I think offense makes more sense since they'll take some time to develop, but part of me thinks that if they don't like any of this year's QB's they should fix the pass rush and OL before addressing offensive skill positions.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Salary nightmare? Oh yeah, right. That is BS. Those would be GMs are jokes. After 2013, Jets will have plenty of cap room. Just take Jets GM as a long term job, for f-ck's sake.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well, Rich Cimini answered my question on the SportsNation chat. Didn't give a real answer, but maybe now I've planted the seed of the 4-3...

In other news, Westhoff is making his rounds and gave an endorsement of Rex. So... there's that. Marty Mornhinweg may be interviewing for the OC job soon.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
That's not entirely correct either. As of now they're probably not quite that much over the cap based on the cap page I use and they really have 12-13 starters under contract at that number (depends whether or not you count Coples).

I hope you're right Derza. I was going off a clip I read from the NY Post.

[The New York Post reports at least two execs have turned down the chance to interview with the Jets over salary cap concerns.
"Salary cap hell" is how one league source describes the Jets' situation, as they are already $19.4 million over the 2013 cap. Ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert canceled his interview while Dave Caldwell and Tom Telesco chose the Jaguars and Chargers, respectively, over the Jets. The team will have just 10 returning starters under contract in 2013. Per the Post, two undisclosed former GMs are expected to be added to the Jets' candidate list this weekend.]

Either way, it will be a difficult first year, but I would hope the Jets future GM would have a long-term vision of helping the franchise moving back in the right direction.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I mean it's right but it's wrong. As of right now, they're about that much over the cap. But they're expected to cut two returning starters (Scott, Pace). So they're about that much over the cap right now and once they cut those two returning starters, they're only going to have 10 returning starters. It's a creative way to make the situation sound worse than it is. Not that it's good, but it isn't as bad as that quote makes it out to be either.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

QB- Sanchez
RB-
WR- Hill
WR- Holmes
WR- Kerley
TE-
LT- Ferguson
LG-
C- Mangold
RG-
RT- Howard

LE- Wilkerson
NT- Pouha
RE-
OLB- Pace
ILB- Scott
ILB- Harris
OLB-
CB- Cromartie
FS-
SS-
CB- Revis

That is 13 returning starters.

- Pouha cut, Coples and Ellis emerge into starters.

- Pace and Scott cut, McIntyre and Davis emerge.

- RG Ducasse or Schaulderaff emerges . Depend on blocking assignment.

- RB Powell emerges.

- TE Cumberland emerges.

That would be 17 starters. Plus 2-4 rookies starters. While it is not a winning team, it is a good start to move forward.

Trading Harris for 2 mid rounders is a possibility if Jets actually switch to 4-3.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Howard and Cumberland aren't signed for next year. I don't think they were counting three WR's as starters either, though the 3 WR set would help.

Jets aren't going to switch to a 4-3.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Howard and Cumberland aren't signed for next year. I don't think they were counting three WR's as starters either, though the 3 WR set would help.

Jets aren't going to switch to a 4-3.

RFA still consider under control unless Jets actually let them go.

If GM with strong 4-3 background is hired now, it is good chance Jets will switch to 4-3 because LB are depleted in either scheme and will be addressed during the draft. Jets could use 9th for DE and mid rounders for LBs.

Peter Angelo is number one now. umm. I hope he learned his mistake during the tenure in Chicago. Do not gamble anywhere. Once or twice is all right but no more than that. Continuity is his big issue.

Jets' big problems coming near to us.

1. Head Coach.
2. Quarterback.
3. Re-assembling team.
4. draft.

Angelo can do first 3. That is more than many GM candidates offer. umm.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Salary nightmare? Oh yeah, right. That is BS. Those would be GMs are jokes. After 2013, Jets will have plenty of cap room. Just take Jets GM as a long term job, for f-ck's sake.
I'm assuming that its media nonsense that potential GMs are turning down the job because of the cap situation. It makes no sense to me that someone who has a job like director of college scouting somewhere would turn down a GM job ANYWHERE regardless of the situation considering its a huge pay increase. If you paid me twice as much money as my current job I'd shovel horse manure 70 hours a week, give me a break people are not turning down an nfl GM job lol
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
RFA still consider under control unless Jets actually let them go.

If GM with strong 4-3 background is hired now, it is good chance Jets will switch to 4-3 because LB are depleted in either scheme and will be addressed during the draft. Jets could use 9th for DE and mid rounders for LBs.

Peter Angelo is number one now. umm. I hope he learned his mistake during the tenure in Chicago. Do not gamble anywhere. Once or twice is all right but no more than that. Continuity is his big issue.

Jets' big problems coming near to us.

1. Head Coach.
2. Quarterback.
3. Re-assembling team.
4. draft.

Angelo can do first 3. That is more than many GM candidates offer. umm.
What do you mean don't gamble? The best teams in the nfl make huge gambles all the time. Not gambling at all yields mediocrity
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Gambling and crapshooting are not the same.

Gambling - go after a prospect without good background and medical record.

crapshooting - go after a prospect that could be bust or boom.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Gambling and crapshooting are not the same.

Gambling - go after a prospect without good background and medical record.

crapshooting - go after a prospect that could be bust or boom.
Ummm ok? I don't know where you're getting this from but both are gambles, there isn't a different term depending on what kind of gamble it is lol. Regardless, a GM who doesn't gamble on high upside prospects isn't a GM I'd want, I'd like to see the jets win a Super Bowl before I die not go 8-8 every year.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I have no idea what is better word for that but careless is only logical word to describe Jerry Angelo's handling on drafts.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I'd take any of the current potential candidates over Cohen. Just saying. Hearing what he was in charge of, I'm pretty sure we would be fairly awful if he ran things.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I'd take any of the current potential candidates over Cohen. Just saying. Hearing what he was in charge of, I'm pretty sure we would be fairly awful if he ran things.

Exactly what has Scott Cohen done that scares you?