Championship Week 2 Rounder
|Mock Drafts A Place to Post and Discuss Your Own Mock Drafts
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Championship Week 2 Rounder
With the top 28 order set and the underclassman declaration deadline tomorrow, nows as good a time as any to make a new mock. Comments appreciated, try to keep them based on facts and not opinions please. Thanks!
1. KC - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia
If there were any standout player to take over a QB here I'd say the Chiefs should do it (i.e. a Jadeveon Clowney or something) but Joeckel and Werner and Milliner simply aren't worth passing up a QB for even if it isnt a good value pick. I don't see there being much of a market for this pick either.
2. JAC - Bjoern Werner - DE - Florida State
Apparently Andre Branch has not worked out as expected so pass rush remains a big need, enough to pass up on the top prospect in the class in Joeckel most likely.
3. ARI (projected trade with OAK, 1st and 3rd for 1st) - Luke Joeckel - OT - Texas A&M
As things stands, Oakland is in prime position to trade back and fill some more needs in the draft if Jacksonville and Kansas City pass on Joeckel. LT is obviously the biggest need for the Cardinals, but they can't afford to give up a 2nd rounder to move up as they need to take a QB there.
4. PHI - Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama
With DRC unlikely to be re-signed and Asomugha to restructure or get cut, CB will be a big need and Milliner should be a top 5 pick.
5. DET - Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M
Jarvis Jones may be the better prospect but Detroit will likely shy away from him due to their misfortune with injury-risk prospects of late.
6. CLE - Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia
With a switch to the 3-4 on the horizon in Cleveland, Jones would be a perfect fit and an outside pass rusher opposite Sheard (who may not adjust to standing up well) is a big need.
7. OAK (trade with ARI) - Star Lotuleilei - DT - Utah
Oakland has plenty of needs so they should just take the BPA available with their 1st pick, which as the board stands now would be Star. This would allow them to cut the 33 year old Seymour.
8. BUF - Cordarelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee
I'm convinced that Cordarelle with skyrocket on boards in the evaluation process as his size and speed and playmaking ability are much too valuable. The Bills have made it clear that finding a true #1 wideout and a QB are the top priorities in the draft, and with the Syracuse coach hiring it would seem that 2nd round is where they will address QB with Nassib.
9. NYJ - Barkevious Mingo - OLB - LSU
As a Jets fan I wouldn't be thrilled with this pick but there's no denying that we need to simply take the best pass rusher available. Mingo projects as a boom or bust physical specimen who may be out of the league in 3 years, or be a perennial pro-bowler. Our luck with these types of picks has not been great.
10. TEN - Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama
Not entirely sure on this one. Guard is definitely a need (as it is on pretty much every team except the Saints) but not sure if the value is there at 10, but with no other prospects on the board that they would have a use for it would make sense.
11. SD - Manti Te'o - ILB - Notre Dame
Where Te'o lands will depend on how he does at the combine. He may only be a 2 down LB in the NFL and that would push him to late 1st-2nd round with poor measurables. If he puts up numbers like Kuechly did then he may not even be there at 11.
12. MIA - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia
I've been projecting Allen to the Dolphins all year, but I've been thinking lately that assuming they let Reggie Bush go, Austin would be filling many voids in that Miami offense, as well as being a better fit in a west coast scheme as a YAC hybrid wideout. He can return kicks and punts for them as well and in general be the x-factor Miami needs and well worth the 12th overall selection.
13. TB - Xavier Rhodes - DB - Florida State
I simply put DB here as Rhodes has the size and skill set to play FS or CB for the Bucs. Biggest need and solid value.
14. CAR - Johnathan Hankins - DT - Ohio State
No change here, arguably BPA and fills a big need.
15. NO - Sam Montgomery - DE - LSU
Sheldon Richardson would also make sense here as the Saints should simply take the best defensive player available with their first selection.
16. STL - Eric Fisher - OT - Central Michigan
Solid value and big need, I've had Lewan here most of the year but obviously he won't be there now.
17. PIT - Jonathan Cooper - OG - North Carolina
With Foster and Colon likely gone for LG, the Steelers likely shore up that need here and go guard 1st pick for the 2nd year in a row.
18. DAL - Ezekiel Ansah - DE - BYU
With Dallas switching to a 4-3 and Anthony Spencer hitting the market, a traditional LE will be needed.
19. NYG - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri
I'm aware that the Giants scheme doesn't place a lot of emphasis on the DT position, but he's the BPA and the Giants like to draft BPA, with a strong emphasis on linemen, so this pick would make sense on that level.
20. CHI - Lane Johnson - OT - Oklahoma
I've had Eric Fisher here most of the year, but obviously the Lewan trickle effect is in play here.
21. CIN - Alex Okafor - DE - Texas
This is assuming that Michael Johnson doesn't get re-signed, if he does re-sign then Keenan Allen or Kevin Minter here.
22. STL (from WAS) - Keenan Allen - WR - California
With a drop mostly due to teams picking up to this point being set at WR for the most part, the Rams take the BPA that also fills a need, especially if Amendola walks.
23. MIN - DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Clemson
A needs pick, the Vikings need to add some WR talent in the 1st round this year, unless they simply don't like any of the 1st round WRs on the board when they pick.
24. IND - Dion Jordan - OLB - Oregon
Freeney will likely be gone, and Mathis can move to the weak-side rush position, and Jordan can fill the void at the SAM position in the 3-4.
25. SEA - Robert Woods - WR - USC
Seattle really doesn't have a whole lot of needs to fill. With the best pass rushers off the board, they fill the 2nd biggest need at WR. BPA pick would be Tyler Eifert or D.J. Fluker.
26. JAC (projected trade with GB, 2nd and 4th for 1st) - Matt Barkley - QB - USC
With none of the BPAs appealing to GB at 26, they move back and grab another pick and Jacksonville takes the 2nd QB off the board.
27. HOU - D.J. Fluker - OT - Alabama
An ideal fit as a mauling RT, he would fit best in a zone blocking scheme and Houston's right side of the line is servicable.
28. DEN - Jesse Williams - DT - Alabama
Denver has got to have the worst DTs in the league with Bannan, Unrein, Vickerson, etc. so it is clearly a huge need, and Williams is pretty solid value at 28.
29. BAL - Kevin Minter - ILB - LSU
30. ATL - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
31. NE - Johnthan Banks - CB - Mississippi State
32. SF - John Jenkins - NT - Georgia
33. GB (projected trade with JAC) - Barrett Jones - C/G - Alabama
34. KC - Terrance Williams - WR - Baylor
35. PHI - Eric Reid - S - LSU
36. DET - Zach Ertz - TE - Stanford
37. CIN (from OAK) - Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia
38. ARI - Tyler Wilson - QB - Arkansas
39. CLE - Forfeited
40. NYJ - Mike Glennon - QB - NC State
41. TEN - Sharrif Floyd - DT - Florida
42. BUF - Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse
43. MIA - Oday Aboushi - OT - Virginia
44. TB - Kawann Short - DT - Purdue
45. CAR - Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee
46. NO - Forfeited
47. SD - Eddie Lacy - RB - Alabama
48. STL - Kenny Vaccaro - S - Texas
49. DAL - Dallas Thomas - T/G - Tennessee
50. PIT - Jordan Poyer - CB - Oregon State
51. NYG - Khaseem Greene - LB - Rutgers
52. CHI - Arthur Brown - LB - Kansas State
53. WAS - Phillip Thomas - S - Fresno State
54. MIN - Tyler Bray - QB - Tennessee
55. CIN - Giovani Bernard - RB - North Carolina
56. MIA (from IND) - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers
57. GB - Justin Pugh - OT - Syracuse
58. SEA - Kyle Long - OL - Oregon
59. HOU - Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Tennessee Tech
60. DEN - Desmond Trufant - CB - Washington
61. BAL - John Simon - OLB - Ohio State
62. ATL - Datone Jones - DE - UCLA
63. NE - Markus Wheaton - WR - Oregon State
64. SF - Margus Hunt - DE - SMU
Had to hurry the last 10-15 picks or so, sorry about that, let me know what you think
01-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Join Date: May 2006
Originally Posted by Robcards
Reasoning? Jordan is better suited as a 3-4 OLB his pass rushing is pretty weak which is what the saints need above all else.
DE is a more pressing need than DT, you are right. I actually think that Jordan fits well into the 4-3. I do think he'll show up to the combine 10-15 lbs bigger than what he played at last season.
I disagree with you on his pass rushing skills. He was asked to dropped back in coverage significantly, and was not used as a traditional rusher. When he was, he was effective.
I think Richardson offers more value than Montgomery and profiles as a better player. The Saints ALWAYS take the best player available on their board. I have reason to believe that Richardson would rate over Montgomery, and if so, he will be the pick regardless of need. The grade would have to be pretty close for them to take Montgomery.
Finally, I do not hate Sam but I do not see him as an impact pass rusher. I see him as an 8-sack-a-year guy at best, sort of like Ray Edwards. He's a complementary defensive end, but not the sort of impact rusher who can keep offensive coordinators up at night. We need the latter as we have some solid players but no true defensive stud you can build around.
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.