Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Missed this one since I've been doing my first teaching spell and let that take up too much of my time. Will probably start with the next one.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

American Psycho was 2nd place in the last voting. Any other suggestions?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have read very few books from the last ten years (mostly just McCarthy, some Palahniuk), if anybody has a suggestion for something recent. I'm currently reading more Philip K. Dick because that's all I do. I'd be fine with Ellis/American Psycho, could be a good one that many of us seemed interested in, if people actually want to do it (said the guy who didn't read the last one)
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just picked up a copy of Old Man and the Sea and I'm going to read it with or without you guys.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
I have read very few books from the last ten years (mostly just McCarthy, some Palahniuk), if anybody has a suggestion for something recent. I'm currently reading more Philip K. Dick because that's all I do. I'd be fine with Ellis/American Psycho, could be a good one that many of us seemed interested in, if people actually want to do it (said the guy who didn't read the last one)
If it's going to be Chuck P., I need to read Haunted and wouldn't mind that. If you want to read Ellis, I've read his first three books and am not interested in the others.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

The Palahniuk reference was more to something that I have read, though certainly not everything that he's churned out. The Ellis mention was mostly for American Psycho since we nearly chose it last time. I wouldn't want to read his other stuff for this, either, as I was looking for contemporary authors that I have not read previously. Did his early work turn you off to him, or is there just no interest in the later stuff?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
The Palahniuk reference was more to something that I have read, though certainly not everything that he's churned out. The Ellis mention was mostly for American Psycho since we nearly chose it last time. I wouldn't want to read his other stuff for this, either, as I was looking for contemporary authors that I have not read previously. Did his early work turn you off to him, or is there just no interest in the later stuff?
No, I am huge fan of Less Than Zero and American Psycho, but the later stuff just didn't sound interesting.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you guys are lame and no longer are doing this? We need to start it back up! I'm having to read a ton of books for my English Education class that would be pretty cool to read as a group.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I'm having to read a ton of books for my English Education class that would be pretty cool to read as a group.
Do these books have titles that you could share with us?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

As per usual, I've been on a big post-Christmas graphic novel kick, thanks to my brother. Next book I was going to read was probably Player Piano.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As per usual, I've been on a big post-Christmas graphic novel kick, thanks to my brother. Next book I was going to read was probably Player Piano.
Ditto... well at least with the graphic novel kick although I am almost done with what I have so I will be looking for a good book!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time in about a decade. I'll probably read the Great Gatsby next. I've never actually read it and I want to before the movie comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time in about a decade. I'll probably read the Great Gatsby next. I've never actually read it and I want to before the movie comes out.
Two of my all-time favorites; I've had the pleasure including TKAM in my curriculum every year.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Do these books have titles that you could share with us?
NO JERK! But I'll be reading Enders Game pretty soon. I'm currently reading: "Trapped: How the World Rescued 33 Miners from 2,000 Feet Below the Chilean Desert." Its quite a good read, actually.

We basically just read Young Adult Lit books all semester. It's great.

And Gatsby and To Kill A Mocking Bird are two of my favorites as well. Unfortunately I feel like a lot of kids in high school didn't enjoy reading Gatsby.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
NO JERK! But I'll be reading Enders Game pretty soon. I'm currently reading: "Trapped: How the World Rescued 33 Miners from 2,000 Feet Below the Chilean Desert." Its quite a good read, actually.
We already did that one!

Quote:
We basically just read Young Adult Lit books all semester. It's great.
That sounds awful.

Quote:
And Gatsby and To Kill A Mocking Bird are two of my favorites as well. Unfortunately I feel like a lot of kids in high school didn't enjoy reading Gatsby.
You can't win them all over.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

You don't like YAL? A lot of it's pretty damn good. While I enjoy many of the classics, it can be pretty tedious being forced to read them. There's quite a few interesting young adult lit books. Enders Game just being one of them.

You are correct that you can't win them all over, and while I do understand the need to address and teach from the literary canon, I do believe it's very important to get students to read as many enjoyable and fun books as they can.

Here's the full list of a lot of what I'll (mostly) be reading.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

I remember when my little sister and her friends were obsessed with Hopkins' books. In those instance of young adult lit, I very much share Brent's feelings.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Well that is true, but I can't broadly condemn all young adult lit because of some awful books.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here's the full list of a lot of what I'll (mostly) be reading.
I have read 7 of those books so I think I'll copy that list. I've planned to read 26 books this year. I've already finished 4 (To Kill a Mocking Bird, Radical by David Platt, The Batman Chronicles Volume I, and Perks of Being a Wallflower) so I'm way ahead of schedule and I'll be needing some good book ideas.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well that is true, but I can't broadly condemn all young adult lit because of some awful books.
I don't mind young adult lit at all. Harry Potter and Hunger Games are young adult and they are quite good. I'm currently reading the last book in the "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series and they're pretty good too. Heck, the Narnia and Lord of the Rings series are classified as childrens literature and those are classics.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I have read 7 of those books so I think I'll copy that list. I've planned to read 26 books this year. I've already finished 4 (To Kill a Mocking Bird, Radical by David Platt, The Batman Chronicles Volume I, and Perks of Being a Wallflower) so I'm way ahead of schedule and I'll be needing some good book ideas.
Haha, I feel you. I usually have a hard time sitting down and reading but I recently bought a Nexus 7 and it makes reading a lot easier for me. I just bust it out whenever I feel like reading and have hundreds of books at my disposal - as opposed to carrying them around everywhere.

I enjoy having a book in hand but am getting use to using a tablet to read, especially since I'm able to annotate and make notes using the tablet as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Random and late, just finished reading Enders Game for a class of mine. I really enjoyed it. HOWEVER. And this is spoilers so don't read on if you don't care to see them.

I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. And when I say ending I mean the VERY ending. Not the fact that he was actually fighting the Buggers when he thought it was a simulation. That was great. I just felt like he could have set up the ending really well for the sequels. I really wanted him to use the time change and have it so Peter was evil/ruling the Earth and Ender had to go back and kick his ass or something. I feel like that would have been way more bad ass.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how is this book?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
how is this book?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL, I see. Will avoid.