Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1 View Post
But the question do they resign Spencer?
We'll be fine either way. We can certainly make a few moves and have enough money to do so without really straining but the move to the 4-3 gives us the option of letting him walk if his demands are higher than we like.

Ratliff SHOULD be back even with that contract as the 4-3 fits nicely and it completely removes DT as a need for the team. I think Spears is packing his bags and gone. I mean Lissemore, Hatcher, Bass are all breathing down his neck and that's not even counting probably the most talented player who is signed to a futures contract in Brian Price. If he comes back healthy from his medical nightmare since being drafted he will not only make this team but he will be starting.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
at best its 50/50
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Knowing Jerry, he'll get it done. I bet the 1st year of his deal will be small, like Brandon Carr just did. Carr's base salary was $1.2M this year. Next season it jumps to $14M. It's all about shuffling the numbers.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Broaddus probably just started seriously evaluating players and Floyd seems like he popped out most in his mind (probably watched the bowl game). I don't think he's finished up evaluating everyone yet. So it's hard to take this seriously.

I'll tell you why I like Kawann... he reminds me of Warren Sapp. He's got that big belly and chicken legs. Squatty like Sapp, but plays with great leverage, has a nice swim move and he doesn't play sloppy like a lot of DTs do falling down all over the place. Like Sapp, he's light on his feet and has good coordination in pursuit (good change of direction for a tackle). I think those light legs have a lot to do with it.

Floyd is more thick throughout and isn't as clean moving around. Plays slower but has good length and can play DE too. Short is only a DT.

But if I had a choice I would go with Short. Kinda reminds me of Sapp.
I have mixed feelings about Short, he is the exact opposite of Floyd, he has all the tools but his motor runs hot and cold. He has had problems with his conditioning and looked a lot heavier then the 315 he is listed at. On the flip side he was a co captain of the team and coaches seem to genuinely like him so it is hard to get a good feel on his work ethic.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
We'll be fine either way. We can certainly make a few moves and have enough money to do so without really straining but the move to the 4-3 gives us the option of letting him walk if his demands are higher than we like.

Ratliff SHOULD be back even with that contract as the 4-3 fits nicely and it completely removes DT as a need for the team. I think Spears is packing his bags and gone. I mean Lissemore, Hatcher, Bass are all breathing down his neck and that's not even counting probably the most talented player who is signed to a futures contract in Brian Price. If he comes back healthy from his medical nightmare since being drafted he will not only make this team but he will be starting.

I honestly don't even count Price. Maybe that's being too harsh but with his injury considered he's not the same guy coming into the draft. I'd love to be wrong since we are going to a 4-3, but he's been waived by three teams who run the 4-3 in the Bears, Vikes, and Bucs. When you hear his injury explained:

Quote:
Late in 2010, Price became the first NFL player to undergo a radical procedure screwing his hamstring to the bone while also attaching the pelvic bones to themselves.

It's hard for me to envision him even being solid depth. I agree on Spears there are a ton of guys who can fill his spot, and this switch will give us a chance to see Ratliff become an impact player again. We have just got to be able to be a unit that can stop the run, if we can do that the system tends to limit the big plays so we should be ok there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/01...defensive.html

While we debate whether Dallas should draft an offensive or defensive lineman high, a look at what the final four have done to build their offensive lines:

AFC
New England
LT -- Nate Solder, 1st round pick
LG -- Logan Mankins, 1st round pick
C - Ryan Wendell, UFA
RG -- Dan Connolly, UFA
RT -- Sebastian Vollmer, 2nd round pick

Baltimore
LT -- Bryant McKinnie -- 1st round pick for Minnesota
LG -- Kelechi Osemele -- 2nd round pick
C -- Matt Birk -- 6th round pick for Minnesota
RG -- Marshall Yanda, 3rd round pick
RT -- Michael Oher, 1st round pick

NFC
San Francisco
LT -- Joe Staley, 1st round pick
LG -- Mike Iupati, 1st round pick
C -- Jonathan Goodwin, 5th round pick for Jets
RG -- Alex Boone, UFA
RT -- Anthony Davis, 1st round pick

Atlanta
LT -- Sam Baker, 1st round pick
LG -- Justin Blalock, 2nd round pick
C -- Todd McClure, 7th round pick
RG -- Peter Konz, 2nd round pick
RT -- Tyson Clabo, UFA

All of the finalists have invested heavily in their offensive lines. All of them have had some luck on late-round selections and on un-drafted free agents, but the fact remains that at least three starters on each of these teams were high round picks by the home team.

Compare this to the projected starters on the current Cowboys line:
LT -- Tyron Smith, 1st round pick
LG -- Nate Livings, UFA
C -- Phil Costa, UFA
RG -- Mackenzy Bernadeau, 7th round pick
RT -- Doug Free, 4th round pick/Jermey Parnell, UFA

Now, compare it to the last above-average Cowboys line, the '07 edition, which had a strong pedigree:
LT -- Flozell Adams, 2nd round pick
LG -- Kyle Kosier, 7th round pick for 49ers
C -- Andre Gurode, 2nd round pick
RG -- Leonard Davis, 1st round pick for Cardinals
RT -- Marc Colombo, 1st round pick for Bears

You get what you pay for, and as we well know, the Cowboys have not been willing to pay for top round offensive linemen. They can convince themselves that they don't need to do it, and lean on Bill Callahan one more year, but he likely knows what Hudson Houck learned in '09, '10 and '11, once that '07 bunch got old together. There's no substitute for talent.

Sooner or later, you need to stop fooling yourself and make the investment. It does not have to be in the first round, but it needs to be in the high rounds and in multiples of more than one.

Havent we been saying this for years? Time to go heavy on both lines!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great info pocketaces! I like seeing stuff like that.

IMO, last season Garrett just got cocky with his offense and though cheap additions would be enough. Bit him in the ass. But Livings turned out great so at least there's that.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More support for Floyd to us

NFL Mock Draft 2013: SB Nation Picks Florida DT Shariff Floyd For Cowboys http://sbn.to/103U9LO via @BloggingTheBoys they got the pick right

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/01...defensive.html

While we debate whether Dallas should draft an offensive or defensive lineman high, a look at what the final four have done to build their offensive lines:

AFC
New England
LT -- Nate Solder, 1st round pick
LG -- Logan Mankins, 1st round pick
C - Ryan Wendell, UFA
RG -- Dan Connolly, UFA
RT -- Sebastian Vollmer, 2nd round pick

Baltimore
LT -- Bryant McKinnie -- 1st round pick for Minnesota
LG -- Kelechi Osemele -- 2nd round pick
C -- Matt Birk -- 6th round pick for Minnesota
RG -- Marshall Yanda, 3rd round pick
RT -- Michael Oher, 1st round pick

NFC
San Francisco
LT -- Joe Staley, 1st round pick
LG -- Mike Iupati, 1st round pick
C -- Jonathan Goodwin, 5th round pick for Jets
RG -- Alex Boone, UFA
RT -- Anthony Davis, 1st round pick

Atlanta
LT -- Sam Baker, 1st round pick
LG -- Justin Blalock, 2nd round pick
C -- Todd McClure, 7th round pick
RG -- Peter Konz, 2nd round pick
RT -- Tyson Clabo, UFA

All of the finalists have invested heavily in their offensive lines. All of them have had some luck on late-round selections and on un-drafted free agents, but the fact remains that at least three starters on each of these teams were high round picks by the home team.

Compare this to the projected starters on the current Cowboys line:
LT -- Tyron Smith, 1st round pick
LG -- Nate Livings, UFA
C -- Phil Costa, UFA
RG -- Mackenzy Bernadeau, 7th round pick
RT -- Doug Free, 4th round pick/Jermey Parnell, UFA

Now, compare it to the last above-average Cowboys line, the '07 edition, which had a strong pedigree:
LT -- Flozell Adams, 2nd round pick
LG -- Kyle Kosier, 7th round pick for 49ers
C -- Andre Gurode, 2nd round pick
RG -- Leonard Davis, 1st round pick for Cardinals
RT -- Marc Colombo, 1st round pick for Bears

You get what you pay for, and as we well know, the Cowboys have not been willing to pay for top round offensive linemen. They can convince themselves that they don't need to do it, and lean on Bill Callahan one more year, but he likely knows what Hudson Houck learned in '09, '10 and '11, once that '07 bunch got old together. There's no substitute for talent.

Sooner or later, you need to stop fooling yourself and make the investment. It does not have to be in the first round, but it needs to be in the high rounds and in multiples of more than one.

Havent we been saying this for years? Time to go heavy on both lines!

This is a great post. I know I see a lot of mocks with defensive help, Safeties, different positions, but the proof is in the pudding and we see the outcome. I would be perfectly fine going into the 2013 season with the exact same team everywhere if we could do massive upgrades to the line. Nothing will change if we don't, we have a great all around back with Murray who could do everything you want if we had that line from 07.

Seeing what we paid for Claiborne to move up that far, I'd easily trade up for Warmack with a 4th or a 5th because you know what your getting there. A pro bowl guard for 12 years, just like when Iupati was coming out you knew what you were getting and look at him now, I would kill for one guard of that caliber.

I also read a stat last year that said we had three different guys play center. Do we not realize how big of a problem that is? I just believe that position is far too important to the offense to be rotating in and out jags all season long and expecting to be able to run the ball effeciently up the middle. It doesn't make sense. Now with that said I doubt Barrett Jones would even be there in the 2nd but even Khaled Holmes may be a better fit with the passing game.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013

I am looking for again is a solid draft and getting some good players in the draft. I hope we draft an OL OR DL...I wouldn't be unhappy with a safety, but I think we need to beef up the lines.

My five:
Womack
Copper
Vacarro
Ricardson
Flucker

Those are 5 players that will go around our pick. Realistically , what do u guys think?
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am looking for again is a solid draft and getting some good players in the draft. I hope we draft an OL OR DL...I wouldn't be unhappy with a safety, but I think we need to beef up the lines.

My five:
Womack
Copper
Vacarro
Ricardson
Flucker

Those are 5 players that will go around our pick. Realistically , what do u guys think?
i think richardson has a good chance of being taken in the top 10 after he blows up the combine and fluker is more a early to mid second rounder bc of his lack pass protection ability imo.

there are alot good safeties and move to a tampa 2 means there less pressure on those guys and the key is the ability to pressure up front, if i had a choice between richarson and vacarro id choose richardson

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 01-15-2013 at 01:35 AM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:15 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting name and ball of clay that could be had on day 3 I think. Like the way he speaks.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post

Interesting name and ball of clay that could be had on day 3 I think. Like the way he speaks.
Awwwwwwwww, you stole my sleeper lol. And he stole my name, but its whatever....
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trade down from 18 and pick up a 3rd.

1. Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia

Former Safety and elite athlete at the position, he'd be an ideal fit in the middle of Kiffin's cover 2 scheme. This is also the kind of flashy pick Jerry feels comfortable with taking in the 1st round. I just can't see Jerry going OL with his history, and looking at the defenders with a mid-late 1st Round grade no one intrigues me more than Ogletree. One of the most freakish defenders in the draft who's arrow is pointing way up. Gives us one of the most young and talented LB cores in the league.

2. Travis Frederick - C - Wisconsin

Mauler at the Center position who will provide much needed stability in the middle of our line. Frederick is a polished product who can step in Day 1 and be effective. We've been playing around at Center the past few years, Frederick gives us a top talent to build around.

3a. D.J. Swearinger - S - S. Carolina

This is one of the deepest safety pools I can remember and there's going to be great value around this point in the draft, I'd feel very comfortable waiting til Round 3 and still coming out with a great talent. Swearinger plays full throttle and brings much needed attitude to our secondary.

3b. Jawan Jamison - RB - Rutgers

Demarco is a good back but we need to do a better job eyeing his workload with his injury history. With Felix likely walking, we get a chance to upgrade the RB spot in a draft that is also deep at RB. Jamison is a fantastic talent and would be a steal at this point, giving us a potent 1-2 punch in the backfield.

4. Brandon Williams - DT - Missouri Southern

Small school guy with big league talent. I like his fit as a 1-tech in the 4-3 and if groomed properly should be a future fixture for our defense.

5. Chris Harper - WR - Kansas State

Another guy who might slide further than he should due to a deep pool at his position, Harper's a physical wideout who fits the mold of what we look for. We have some talented inside recievers with Harris and Beasley but neither of them can play outside effectively in our offense when Miles or Dez go down. Harper can be that guy immediately and maybe develop into a future replacement for Miles.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

Former Safety and elite athlete at the position, he'd be an ideal fit in the middle of Kiffin's cover 2 scheme. This is also the kind of flashy pick Jerry feels comfortable with taking in the 1st round. I just can't see Jerry going OL with his history, and looking at the defenders with a mid-late 1st Round grade no one intrigues me more than Ogletree. One of the most freakish defenders in the draft who's arrow is pointing way up. Gives us one of the most young and talented LB cores in the league.

Just out of curiousity, what makes you think that Lee isn't?

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much cap space do you guys have? I'm curious if you make a play for Melton this offseason.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
How much cap space do you guys have? I'm curious if you make a play for Melton this offseason.
Right now, we don't have any. Things will be tight, but I think they could make room for one significant signing if they really want to.

Restructuring Romo, Ware, Carr, Free and Austin could most likely get us below the cap.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Just out of curiousity, what makes you think that Lee isn't?
We've talked about it a lot on the main team thread, and Lee could play Mike... I just don't think it plays into his strengths and you'd be taking away from what makes him great. I'd rather have him slide outside and maintain underneath coverage responsibility so he can do what he does best, stay active around the LOS in the run game. I just don't like the idea of putting the middle runner responsibility on him, having him carry slot receivers vertically in the passing game and asking him to play more like a safety tracking the deep ball. That's just not what he's best suited for.

Mike's in the Tampa 2 are traditionally taught to think pass first-run second because of the amount of ground they're asked to cover in the passing game. He could be dropping back 40-50 yards on any given play, and it's not a traditional LB drop where you can keep your pads relatively facing the QB... it's a lot of opening your hips, bailing out, sprinting, turning some more... basically more in line of what you see safety's do when they drop, but even more extreme because of where the Mike starts his drop as opposed to Safetys.

Sean is a good athlete as a traditional LB, but playing that middle runner is a different animal and it'd be asking a lot from him to pull it off.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-15-2013 at 01:36 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

2. Travis Frederick - C - Wisconsin

Mauler at the Center position who will provide much needed stability in the middle of our line. Frederick is a polished product who can step in Day 1 and be effective. We've been playing around at Center the past few years, Frederick gives us a top talent to build around.

3a. D.J. Swearinger - S - S. Carolina

This is one of the deepest safety pools I can remember and there's going to be great value around this point in the draft, I'd feel very comfortable waiting til Round 3 and still coming out with a great talent. Swearinger plays full throttle and brings much needed attitude to our secondary.

3b. Jawan Jamison - RB - Rutgers

Demarco is a good back but we need to do a better job eyeing his workload with his injury history. With Felix likely walking, we get a chance to upgrade the RB spot in a draft that is also deep at RB. Jamison is a fantastic talent and would be a steal at this point, giving us a potent 1-2 punch in the backfield.

4. Brandon Williams - DT - Missouri Southern

Small school guy with big league talent. I like his fit as a 1-tech in the 4-3 and if groomed properly should be a future fixture for our defense.

5. Chris Harper - WR - Kansas State

Another guy who might slide further than he should due to a deep pool at his position, Harper's a physical wideout who fits the mold of what we look for. We have some talented inside recievers with Harris and Beasley but neither of them can play outside effectively in our offense when Miles or Dez go down. Harper can be that guy immediately and maybe develop into a future replacement for Miles.
Any mock with Swearinger gives me a hard on. Brandon Williams in the 4th? Might be a little wishful thinking. I traded up in the beginning of Round 3 to get him in our most recent forum mock and several guys mentioned how they were about to take him. JBScouting projects him as a 2nd rounder... and that guy scouts small school prospects on an insane level.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone have opinions on Alex Okafor to develop behind Ware in the new defensive scheme?

I would not be as interested in him as a WOLB in a 3-4, but as a DE in a 4-3, I love it!

Anyone else seen him play?
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
Anyone have opinions on Alex Okafor to develop behind Ware in the new defensive scheme?

I would not be as interested in him as a WOLB in a 3-4, but as a DE in a 4-3, I love it!

Anyone else seen him play?
I like that he plays with power. I don't think he's worth where he is being projected though (1st round). If we had to use a first to draft him I woudn't be interested. Quite a few capable 4-3 ends available :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. Think he's a 2nd round player but will prob be taken higher because he will prob do well at the combine.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With as deep as the DL and quality LB crop, I doubt Okafor goes in the top 50 picks. I think he will be there at our second pick. If so, I'm good with it, especially if we go OL in round one.

If we go DT, I would prefer a different positional group in round 2. Probably OL then. Maybe a solid LB that had 1st round grades, but fell to the second. Seemed to work well for us in the recent past.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

No on Okafor. Not in the first or second.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
No on Okafor. Not in the first or second.
You like other guys better? You just don't like Okafor?

Little more explanation please...