Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Catapano was a huge 240 lbs fullback at age 17 from Chaminade High School on Long Island. Was always big.....and fast!...40 time was listed as 4.7 from back then. Great athlete, switched to DE in College.

http://connecticut.scout.com/a.z?s=3...=1&nid=3037207
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Power, I appreciate your post.

Guys are always looking for an edge in college AND the pros. Some of the very best NFL players for example probably have taken HGH, because the NFL doesn't test for it. It's all about competitive advantage and I don't really see it as a huge character issue.

My only issue is that for guys whose physiques and athleticism are 60-80% the result of PEDs don't really translate as good/outstanding players at the NFL level.
The measurables usually don't hold up and turn into the field production.

I just have one question, how much did Catapano weigh as a HS senior??

Not hating on the guy, I hope he makes an NFL roster and gets the job done.
People here don't really talk about NFL players and PEDs because I think most assume they're already being used to some extent by x-number of players, however PEDs alone don't make you 'great'.

THere are too many variables involved in being a good NFL player that just being big/strong and fast in straight line are the minimum amount of skills you need to make it in the pros.

As a personal trainer you must know how prevalent the use of PEDs are by college and pro football players. Just saying.
The guy only put on 35 lbs and improved his 40 yard dash 1/10 second in 5 years since HS....seems reasonable to me. Why the whole PED thing? I remember seeing him play in High School. It was like trying to tackle a bear. He was 6'4" and strong and fast. Was kind of unfair to opposing high school defenses. Dude was always big
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
FWIW Clay Matthews was 6-1 and 165 as a highschool junior.
Good example
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be looking out for him. Hope he beasts.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I'll be looking out for him. Hope he beasts.
=) cool thanks. me too! I understand they start doing the heavy hitting in practice tomorrow so I'm sure there will be people there reporting. Heard he weighed in a couple pounds lighter (270) but is in "fighting" shape

Last edited by Power : 01-14-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

this sounds encouraging http://college2pro.com/showSingleArticle.php?id=121&page=browseArticles&c ategory=All+Star+Games
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Small school DE's Mike Catapano and David Bass upstage So. Carolina Devin Taylor at today's practice according to sources at Yardbarker and Optimum Scouting...

3h Eric Galko ‏@OptimumScouting
David Bass and Princeton's Mike Catapano working together in drills, two best DEs in drills so far, as expected.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

2013 SHRINE GAME: EAST PRACTICE NOTES FOR TUESDAY
Written by Eric Galko on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 12:16.

The first day of full pads is always a great one to track, especially in getting to see the offensive line and defensive line meet up and show off their skills for the first time.

While Collin Klein struggled, the receiver and running backs didn’t show much, and the defensive backs and linebackers weren’t of much note, it was the day to learn Terron Armstead’s, David Bass’s, Mark Jackson’s, and Mike Catapano’s name.

read full report on yard barker...

http://network.yardbarker.com/colleg...esday/12665275
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Shawn Zobel from Draftheadquarters.com had HIGH praise of Catapano from today's practice...

"Among defensive linemen, I was more impressed with Princeton's Mike Catapano than anyone else out there. Catapano, whom his head coach has compared to San Francisco 49er Justin Smith, played with the type of aggression and high motor all morning that scouts love to see. Catapano, at 6'4, 270 currently looks the part of an end in the 4-3 defense. Watching the defensive line drills, Catapano was a very teachable player and one who picked up the drills quicker than anyone else. There's no doubt that he is on the rise this spring and I plan on taking a closer look at him."

http://draftheadquarters.com/Shrine-...Two-Report.htm
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.

[quote=CollegeFan;3245963]Shawn Zobel from Draftheadquarters.com had HIGH praise of Catapano from today's practice...

"Among defensive linemen, I was more impressed with Princeton's Mike Catapano than anyone else out there. Catapano, whom his head coach has compared to San Francisco 49er Justin Smith, played with the type of aggression and high motor all morning that scouts love to see. Catapano, at 6'4, 270 currently looks the part of an end in the 4-3 defense. Watching the defensive line drills, Catapano was a very teachable player and one who picked up the drills quicker than anyone else. There's no doubt that he is on the rise this spring and I plan on taking a closer look at him."

Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFan View Post
Shawn Zobel from Draftheadquarters.com had HIGH praise of Catapano from today's practice...

Starting to get excited about seeing him in Seattle working his way into their DE rotation. when I heard Justin Smith my ears perked up.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sir, I understand you are excited about Mr.Catapano but please do us a favor by never posting anything by Shawn Zobel and do yourself a favor by never reading anything he has to say. He is what we call "a moron".
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Sir, I understand you are excited about Mr.Catapano but please do us a favor by never posting anything by Shawn Zobel and do yourself a favor by never reading anything he has to say. He is what we call "a moron".
Not familiar with the politics of who doesn't like who in the draft world...my bad. I saw he was endorsed by a bunch of espn people on twitter etc...I'll keep my posts Zobel free if that would please the forum readers here.

Last edited by CollegeFan : 01-16-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Starting to get excited about seeing him in Seattle working his way into their DE rotation. when I heard Justin Smith my ears perked up.
You guys are down your top pass rusher....might make sense. Better off with you guys than as an eventual replacement for an aging Smith on your nemesis in San Fran. I could see Seattle. Dallas maybe too.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Josh Buchanen mentioned in the podcast that there are some factors besides his football ability which he expects to prevent Catapano from being drafted. I wonder what they are.

On the surface it doesn't appear like it is medical, legal or work ethic related; just speculation but perhaps its testing positive for a banned substance like adderall?

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Josh Buchanen mentioned in the podcast that there are some factors besides his football ability which he expects to prevent Catapano from being drafted. I wonder what they are.

On the surface it doesn't appear like it is medical, legal or work ethic related; just speculation but perhaps its testing positive for a banned substance like adderall?
I heard that comment too...kinda odd. Know the guy, know his family and there doesn't get much better from character and ethical perspective so what was the point of that comment? No clue.

Last edited by CollegeFan : 01-16-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
You guys are down your top pass rusher....might make sense. Better off with you guys than as an eventual replacement for an aging Smith on your nemesis in San Fran. I could see Seattle. Dallas maybe too.
I took him in the forum mock.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
FWIW Clay Matthews was 6-1 and 165 as a highschool junior.
There were also major steroid rumors circling him, too.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aren't people saying Catapano is only 20-30 lbs heavier than he was in high school? Why are we talking about steroids again?

Went back and looked, and it as pretty much just FUNBUNCHER being incredulous that a "lean 275" would be playing at Princeton instead of a BCS school.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-16-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Aren't people saying Catapano is only 20-30 lbs heavier than he was in high school? Why are we talking about steroids again?
Really. I grew 2 inches and gained like 30 lbs in the Army and the only thing i was on was Budweiser.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Any talk suggesting anything is simply a compliment to Mike really. The guy is a workout warrior and is clearly built for the next level. Saw some pics from Shrine game and he is def a VERY impressive looking individual! No doubt there. Better them thinking you look too good than not good enough i guess lol =)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I heard that comment too...kinda odd. Know the guy, know his family and there doesn't get much better from character and ethical perspective so what was the point of that comment? No clue.
The fact that Josh deliberately didn't say much about it, hints that it is something private but it is very significant and something that teams are aware of.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
The fact that Josh deliberately didn't say much about it, hints that it is something private but it is very significant and something that teams are aware of.
That is pure speculation on your part. That Josh "mentioned" or "hinted" anything on a live podcast without elaborating is incredibly unprofessional in my opinion...bad journalism. If a journalist is going to suggest something then he should back it up. Otherwise not mention anything at all. These kids got $ and careers on the line here, so to do or hint anything that isn't true leaves professional journalists exposed to liabilities. He should explain what he meant actually.

Last edited by CollegeFan : 01-17-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
That is pure speculation on your part. That Josh "mentioned" or "hinted" anything on a live podcast without elaborating is incredibly unprofessional in my opinion...bad journalism. If a journalist is going to suggest something then he should back it up. Otherwise not mention anything at all. These kids got $ and careers on the line here, so to do or hint anything that isn't true leaves professional journalists exposed to liabilities. He should explain what he meant actually.
In fact saying this is unfair on my part. No reason for me to say that Josh is unprofessional. He didn't suggest anything per say. You did Big_Pete...and funbuncher did earlier in the thread. Josh Buchanan may have had a very legimate statement he was going to make but held back for some reason, something about his game being a 4-3 end and 3-4 teams not having as much interest...who knows...but to jump on Josh is wrong on my part. Until we know what he meant if anything at all speculation of anything is just that. All I know is that Catapano is a great kid and great football player.

Last edited by CollegeFan : 01-17-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Hopefully this one is ok from Paul Guillemette

http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html

"Thereís a ton of coaching going on with the DL group and some of these guys are really responding in drill work. They too are a part of why the offenses are struggling so much. I have been mightily impressed by the attitudes and work ethic of two small school players #91/DAVID BASS/Missouri Western State & #77/MIKE CAPATANO/Princeton. CAPATANO is hustling his butt off and getting results from his effort. What has caught my eye with him is a reverse spin move to the inside on his pass-rush technique. Thatís something you donít see real often except in the most accomplished of pass rush specialists such as a DWIGHT FREENEY. CAPATANO has already made a believer out of me in two days with his size, strength, attitude and skills. This kid should get Drafted by Round 4 and has eventual starting potential.

BASS is more of a project, primarily because he is a relatively slim 260 lbs on a 6í4 frame. But heís an eager learner and seems to grasp whatís being taught very quickly. If he could add 10-15 lbs. of muscle mass I think he could handle himself as a full time 4-3 DE, who could play 3 downs in a run and chase style Defense."
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol. Calling Freeney a pass rush specialist is almost as bad as an article I saw calling Steve Smith (the Carolina one) a "slot WR".

---------

Russ Lande:

3. Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton (6033, 270 and 4.85): As opposed to many of his classmates who will be working on Wall Street, based on his performance today, Catapano could have a long NFL career ahead of him. While lacking explosiveness off the ball, he consistently used quick, strong and active hands to jolt and defeat pass blocks. In 1 on 1 drills he was consistently able to defeat OT to pressure the QB. Although expected, Catapano’s smarts and awareness were impressive as he consistently used excellent technique and carried out his assignment. Strong, violent use of hands allowed him to jolt and shed run blocker with ease.