Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
zCALz

Im bored saw this trade idea else where and just went with it too many picks

Steelers receive 2 compensatory selections Rd 4 #132 & Rd 5 #170
Trade Rd 1 #15 to Falcons for Rd 2 #39, Rd 2 #44, & Rd 4 #109

Rd 2 # 39 Justin Blalock OG Texas
Rd 2 #44 Sidney Rice WR S. Carolina
Rd 2 #46 Tim Crowder OLB Texas
Rd 3 #77 James Marten OT BC
Rd 4 #109 Anthony Waters ILB Clemson
Rd 4 #119 Fred Bennett CB S. Carolina
Rd 4 #132 Antwan Barnes OLB FIU
Rd 5 #156 Jackie Battle RB Houston
Rd 5 #170 Daren Stone SS Maine
Rd 6 #192 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada
Rd 7 #227 Joe Anoai DE GTech
Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if grubbs was there,then get him
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love Waters and Rice, i just don't think we will go WR early to be a 3rd string.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
steel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
zCALz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
if grubbs was there,then get him
I agree but grubbs wont be there at Rd 2 #39
Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel man View Post
i love Waters and Rice, i just don't think we will go WR early to be a 3rd string.
I think we're probably taking Steve Smith/Jason Hill in round 2-3 (Possibly Jarrett , Rice, Davis as well).

I really think they're looking to take out Cedrick Wilson.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like that possible trade scenario, though id rather have a corner there at #39 like mccaugley or possibly brian leonard... maybe even alama francis...

i just am now a huge fan of any early guards this year, aside from possibly grubbs
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i want brian leonard really bad but i have not heard anything about us looking at him. go ahead a bash me but, IMO if we would draft brian leonard i think he would be the starter in 2-4 years knocking willie back to the change of pace back. the big reason is that brian leonard is almost as fast as willie but he is a lot more powerful.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i want brian leonard really bad but i have not heard anything about us looking at him. go ahead a bash me but, IMO if we would draft brian leonard i think he would be the starter in 2-4 years knocking willie back to the change of pace back. the big reason is that brian leonard is almost as fast as willie but he is a lot more powerful.
okay i agree with you that brian leonard could be a great starting RB in the NFL. and he would also be a good 1-2 punch with willie, but are you smoking good hash?? leonard is not almost as fast as willie. he doesn't have the word "fast" in your name for no reason. willie is one of the fastest guys in the NFL when he gets up to full speed. he might not accelerate like bush or LT but when he gets up to his top gear he is faster than LT and probably would be close between him and bush. every game you watch the only way he gets caught from behind is if someone has the ultimate angle on him. i had to defend that. :D

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

what i was trying to say by close is brian leonard for his size and where he is more powerful would not be a big change in the speed cat. because like you said wille has to get up to speed and how often does that happen, but when it does then it is great but if brian leonard is close to being as quick then it would not hurt us

i did not word it right, but what i was trying to say was brian leonard is real fast also. a couple of 1/10 ths is not as big of a deal to me as most going from a 4.3 to 4.5 is not a big deal to me.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree with you but i still don't think we have seen the best of willie parker. he has improved every year and i believe this is going to be his breakout yr. i'm projecting he goes up 200 yds in his total and maybe 2-4 more touchdowns. although i wouldn't be surprised if he rolled up 1700+ yrds and 15-18 TD's. this is of course relying on if we don't lean to heavily on a 2 back system and let the guy come in just to let willie get a breather. not to completely take over for an entire quarter or nothing.

and excluding one or two game willie breaks one atleast once a game. and you are right, it is such a beautiful thing.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think the only thing holding willie back was the lack of creative play calling from the whiz and the fact that he had a little fumble problem
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
i think the only thing holding willie back was the lack of creative play calling from the whiz and the fact that he had a little fumble problem
Oh yea, and the lack of Blocking.

I think it was a mess of problems.

1) Playcalling - If we were up, we'd run Willie ragged. If we were down, we'd forget he was there. To put up his # of yards, considering how many games he had under 30 yards was amazing.

2) Blocking - This is 2 pronged. 1 our offensive line played horrendously last year. 2, They're built to block for a slower RB. Willie had to learn to have tremendous patience because it would take a while for plays to develop.

3) Blocking - the other side(A piece of 2-2 above). Willie is too damn fast. Dan Kreider blocking for him was an issue because Kreider would barely get through the hole and Willie was tramping on him. Now that we're going to a more spread offense, I think that'll help alot.

4) Score - We abandoned the run to fast. We used our "Steelers" gameplan at home, but as soon as we were down 1 point. We just chucked the ball 800 times.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

i agree with what all of you are saying. i agree willie is getting stronger and keeping his speed. kreider is a great blocker, but you are right he is great for the bus a slower type back. that is where leonard would be perfect he is fast enough and strong enough that he would help willie a lot and he could run the ball too.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

perfect backfield:

Willie - RB with Leonard - FB blocking for him
and
Davinport,Leonard, and the power back that we draft - RB with Kreider blocking for them.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

that way everyone stays fresh and everyone matches up better.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
perfect backfield:

Willie - RB with Leonard - FB blocking for him
and
Davinport,Leonard, and the power back that we draft - RB with Kreider blocking for them.
Not to ruin your happiness but we're moving to a Indy offense. They don't use a FB alot. They run more Single Back, 3-4 WR sets on 1st/2nd and 2 TE sets on 3rd down.. so The whole Leonard for FB and a powerback could be a moot point

We could draft Pittman for all I know. He wants a good #2, not necessarily a power RB that has upside to #2.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Not to ruin your happiness but we're moving to a Indy offense. They don't use a FB alot. They run more Single Back, 3-4 WR sets on 1st/2nd and 2 TE sets on 3rd down.. so The whole Leonard for FB and a powerback could be a moot point

We could draft Pittman for all I know. He wants a good #2, not necessarily a power RB that has upside to #2.
its not all indy, itll be an adaptive form, we will still use a fullback and we will still have a need for a power backfeild
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

i hope we do not go 100% to an indy type O because our pound and ground wore a lot of D's down and with D's getting smaller and quicker they can take the pounding even less.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
its not all indy, itll be an adaptive form, we will still use a fullback and we will still have a need for a power backfeild
I agree, but it won't be the full-fledged power I that we're all used to.

We don't have any of the personnel for it. Our line is athletic and "Undersized". Willie Parker is too fast to have a FB.

In other words, that we'll still use a fb and Power runner at times. But we're adapting to our players (Finally).

When I said Indy offense.. It was easier than spelling it all out.

3-4 WR sets with a single RB, Dual TE sets for Passing.

I honestly don't think we're going to go after Leonard or Hunt. We've had 2 RB's in for visits. Pittman and Wright. I personally don't like Wright because he has a lack of college production, (Isn't he 27 as well?), and he's had 2 Serious Knee injuries. Even for a 4th rounder you can get better value.

I like Battle because he provides speed, and power. Hunt is a one trick pony. We have seen what Leonard can do, but when he was the only offensive weapon on Rutgers, he was near ineffective. Until Ray Rice, and that offense started getting some weapons, Leonard couldn't do anything. I love Leonards ability and flexibility, but I don't think he's a solid #2 RB option. I think you'd have to almost use a WCO to utilize him right. Minnesota or Tampa Bay would probably be the best options.

Pittman may be the surprise of our draft. I don't like Him... Frankly..

If I had it my way?

Kenny Irons round 3-4, Kolby Smith round 5, Jackie Battle round 5-6... I trust Tomlin and Co to be true to Game film, and If they deem Chris Henry worthwhile I wouldn't be against it as he brings solid size/speed. Best Receiving RB in the draft.

The more and more that I rewatch Kolby Smith, The more and more I like him. He doesn't have Battle Like Speed, but he's a damn good receiver, and to me is quite possibly the most "Complete" RB in this draft.

I think the other one that could receive that tag is Marshawn Lynch. Both are excellent receivers, great game speed, downfield vision. Both have agility but can run with Power.

I think I'm starting to like Smith more at 5A than Battle actually. Because he's more complete. But if we see Najeh as the receiver RB, than I'm more than Content with Battle as he reminds me of Turner. Smith reminds me of Ladell Betts. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either at 5a. Both likely career backups, with ability to fill in for a while if called upon.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:42 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
i hope we do not go 100% to an indy type O because our pound and ground wore a lot of D's down and with D's getting smaller and quicker they can take the pounding even less.
See I could normally agree with this point except 2 things:

1) While the pounding wore defenses down, it nearly always put us at 3rd and long, not to mention we became more predictable. (Watch the Indy game, we completely flipped our game plan and they had no F'n clue what was going on). We don't have the personnel for the Ground and pound. Willie's not a pounder, even if we draft one. You use a ground/pound 25-30 times a game.. Willie's not goign to be our 2nd RB. You'd be surprise how much Chasing Willie wears out an Defense just as much. When I meant Indy O, I meant 3-4 WR sets on 1st/2nd (Single back to spread out the defenses, that way Willie doesn't have 8 in the box), and more passing out of Double TE sets (Miller/Tuman = Clark/Utecht?)

2) Some defenses are becoming small and faster. But unless we go to the NFC North or South, I'm not sold on the "Defense's are getting smaller". Even though they suck, Clevelend is gathering a really good crop on defense. They're a DLine away from being a Tennessee Oiler/Titan like Thorne in our side (Late 90's/Early 2000's) We always had the better team, but they just made the better plays. McGinnest, Williams, Jackson, Davis, McMillen and Wimbley is nothing to sneeze at. A dline and a Secondary other than Their good safety and Bodden. And Baltimore.. THEY"RE GETTING EVEN BIGGER. Suggs, Scott, Lewis, Johnson.. possibly the addition of Anthony Spencer... with Ngata, Pryce, and Gregg? That's a big f'n team. Cincinnati would have a bigger defense if they could keep them out of prison. Not to mention we play the jaguars and Chargers once a year, and they have some of the biggest Dlines in football. So I don't buy into the "Defenses are getting smaller, so run over em'" mantra.

Like I said, NFC North? Sure... AFC North? Nope.

Frankly, I like Willie's style more than Bettis Style. Don't read into that too much. I loved Bettis as any Steeler fan would, but his 1 yd, 2 yd, 4 yd, 5 yd, 2 yd, -3 yds, 15 yd... style was tiring. Willie's 1, -2, 3, -2, 75 is much more exciting and dynamic. Because you don't know when he could take it to the house, which could be ANY handoff.

But don't think we're abandoning the run. Tomlin knows to be successful, you have to be capable of running and stopping the run. We can do both.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

I agree that willie will proliferate in a spread offense. How can any linebacker contain him? I especially like how low he gets when he has to(thank you for the lesson Mr.Bettis), and think he is much more of a power runner than people give him credit for. Remember our Super bowl lines of the 70s that were 240-260 pound lineman? their pulling type running attack for Franco was the bread and butter of the best football dynasty ever. I would like to see a more agile athletic line and say goodbye to Max Starks and the fatboy blockers that cannot move--see Dallas Cowboys for example.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

good point on the steelers dynasty running scheme, if this were around the horn you'd get like 3 points

but seriously just because we dont line up in double tights with an I backfeild doesnt mean we are not going to have any power run game whatsoever, we will still pound it between the tackles, we will probably just pull more and create more space for willie to run using our spread attack (in theory anyways)

if we get a guy like leonard, hunt, or smith, they will still be utilized as a power back, only not out of a power formation
Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
good point on the steelers dynasty running scheme, if this were around the horn you'd get like 3 points

but seriously just because we dont line up in double tights with an I backfeild doesnt mean we are not going to have any power run game whatsoever, we will still pound it between the tackles, we will probably just pull more and create more space for willie to run using our spread attack (in theory anyways)

if we get a guy like leonard, hunt, or smith, they will still be utilized as a power back, only not out of a power formation

I agree Mike, The only point I was saying, is to use the Pound and Ground method, you need a guy doing it 20-30 times a game. With Willie as our #1 RB, thats not an option (Though Steel Man I agree he has underrated power as warrented by him knocking Zach Thomas on his ass)

We don't have to line up in Any formation to have a power game. But it's not the same we used to have before. Willie is the #1, A power game is only an addition to our all world speed.