Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
A couple of players here that we might want to take a look at in the Shrine game. You know that Fisher loves those small-school guys. Of the 136 players he has drafted, 51 have been small-school guys, or about 38%. The league average is 26%.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-dra...7461--nfl.html
Always got to pay attention to Mount Union receivers, they've had success with their receivers recently.

And if you want to believe websites. So far during practices, we've interviewed...

Xavier Brewer CB, Clemson
Josh Johnson CB, Purdue
Earl Watford OT, James Madison
Melvin White CB, Louisiana Lafayette
Will Pericak DE, Colorado
Micah Hyde CB, Iowa
Nathan Williams LB, Ohio State
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to reports, Gus Bradley will be the new head coach of the Jaguars. This would leave only the Arizona Cardinals job open, which Schottenheimer has not been linked to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9603--nfl.html
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
According to reports, Gus Bradley will be the new head coach of the Jaguars. This would leave only the Arizona Cardinals job open, which Schottenheimer has not been linked to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9603--nfl.html
Good stuff! Finally Sam will go into next season with the same offense. Now lets put some talent around the kid!

Anyone see Scott's latest mock? I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan. I like Vaccaro but not as a top 20 selection. And Fluker to me is a RT at the next level, I don't think he's worth that high of a pick either.

Oh, and he has Jordan going 9th overall to the Jets.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 01-18-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see the first QB being taken at #7, and I also don't see only 2 being taken in the first round. There will be a run on them even if it isn't deserving.

One thing I have definitely noticed with Scott's mocks is that they are always based around the obvious need. Now, don't get me wrong...he does a lot of homework and, for the most part, they do make sense. However, they don't take into consideration the trends that coaches and/or GM's follow. Fisher has taken one safety in the 1st round and one in the 2nd. For the most part, he takes defensive backs in the middle rounds unless they fall to him like Michael Griffin did. So just because safety is a huge need for this team doesn't mean that the Rams will reach for a guy with their first round pick just in the name of filling a need. I have also thought at times that Scott hasn't put a whole lot of thought into who he gives us in his mocks. I get the feeling like he doesn't follow us very closely, so when our pick comes around it's almost like "we'll give the Rams this guy, his ranking is in the ballpark and I don't know who really wants him." Not all the time, but sometimes. Last year he did have us taking Janoris Jenkins in repeated mocks, so I'm not saying he is always off the mark.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Anyone see Scott's latest mock? I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan. I like Vaccaro but not as a top 20 selection. And Fluker to me is a RT at the next level, I don't think he's worth that high of a pick either.
It's January; today's reach may be tomorrow's value.

When you consider that Scott had Vaccaro going 19th to Dallas in his mid-December mock, it's clear that Scott at least values him in the mid first round range (or at least projects that's where he'll come off the board).

I think there's a decent chance, assuming he doesn't tank offseason workouts, that Fluker gets pushed up draft boards a bit because of other tackles (Lewan, Matthews) returning to school. Fluker went from being maybe the fifth or sixth best tackle in the class and a possible second round pick to arguably the third best.

It's worth pointing out (or maybe it isn't, I dunno) that Mel Kiper's first mock had these exact picks for the Rams as well.

Quote:
I just don't see the first QB being taken at #7, and I also don't see only 2 being taken in the first round. There will be a run on them even if it isn't deserving.

One thing I have definitely noticed with Scott's mocks is that they are always based around the obvious need. Now, don't get me wrong...he does a lot of homework and, for the most part, they do make sense. However, they don't take into consideration the trends that coaches and/or GM's follow. Fisher has taken one safety in the 1st round and one in the 2nd. For the most part, he takes defensive backs in the middle rounds unless they fall to him like Michael Griffin did. So just because safety is a huge need for this team doesn't mean that the Rams will reach for a guy with their first round pick just in the name of filling a need. I have also thought at times that Scott hasn't put a whole lot of thought into who he gives us in his mocks. I get the feeling like he doesn't follow us very closely, so when our pick comes around it's almost like "we'll give the Rams this guy, his ranking is in the ballpark and I don't know who really wants him." Not all the time, but sometimes. Last year he did have us taking Janoris Jenkins in repeated mocks, so I'm not saying he is always off the mark.
I tend to agree with you on the QB issue; they're going to get slightly overdrafted, especially with this wage scale. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if one wasn't in the Top 3. I think the wild card is Philly @ 4 with Chip Kelly as coach. I'm wondering how Geno would fit there, if he were on the board.

As for Scott's mocks, I think we all kind of go based on need when making mocks. I really don't put much weight in coaching trend when it comes to mocks, because it's easy to find examples of coaches breaking those trends when the opportunity arises.

If Jeff Fisher doesn't take an OL or a S in the first round, I'm almost positive it will be because there is a prospect with a higher rating on the board and not because he feels obliged to stick with some dogma of past drafts.

Maybe when you've got two very similarly rated prospects, you go with your positional preferences. But there are going to be a lot of raised eyebrows - mine included - if, say, Chance Warmack is available when the Rams pick and Fisher passes because he prefers to coach up a Rokevious Watkins rather than spend a first round pick on the position.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My latest Rams mock...

1.16: Dion Jordan, LB, Oregon
1.22: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
2.46: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
3.78: T.J. McDonald, S, USC
4.110: Rick Wagner, OT, Wisconsin
5.142: Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
6.174: Brandon McGee, CB, Miami
7.206: Gilbert Pena, DT, Mississippi

I'd point out that Warmack and Fisher were off the board by the time the Rams picked @ 16, and Fluker was gone by the time they were back on the clock @ 22. Lane Johnson was available though.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I like it! Very much looks like a Jeff Fisher draft.

On a semi-related note, it seems like every other day I see another story about whether or not Steven Jackson stays with the Rams. Is it just me or is this story being a bit overblown? It isn't as though he is the only talented player we have anymore. The Rams are building an annual contender with or without him.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I like the draft, not a huge fan of Cooper's but I don't hate him. I've just heard he isn't that strong and he struggles keeping his weight up. Just screams Jacob Bell to me.

Now this is just what I've heard. I've seen a total of one NC game this year, so could be totally wrong.

Are you guys Ok with Da'Rick's character concerns? Were there any other wideouts available?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Are you guys Ok with Da'Rick's character concerns?
I'm not crazy about his past off the field issues, but what Fisher and Snead showed us in Year One is that they're willing to take the chance on some character guys that previous regimes might have shied away from. There's a part of me that thinks, in some ways, Rogers' story kind of mirrors that of Janoris Jenkins. The Rams were willing to give Jenkins a shot and it seems he's been fine off the field so far with some great on field moments. I hope they spend some time talking to Da'Rick and getting a feel for him.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

South Carolina DE Devin Taylor was absolutely a man among boys at the East-West Shrine game today. No one could stop him. He spent the entire day in the backfield, whether it be against the run or pass. His stock definitely rose today. Listed at 6'8" and 270, he has a huge wingspan and a nice, powerful burst for a guy of his stature. Now on my list of favorite players in this draft.

Christine Michael also had a nice showing. He ran hard between the tackles and showed a little wiggle as well. He showed up at 222 pounds. He did put the ball on the ground, though.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

A couple other players I forgot to mention from the Shrine game...Earl Wolff (S) from NC State and Terry Hawthorne (CB) from Illinois. Wolff was one of the players that really created a buzz this week in practices, getting lots of wolf howls from his teammates whenever he made a play, and was around the ball all day. Hawthorne made a gorgeous interception on a corner fade route in the end zone over one of the big tight ends. Both look like mid-rounders who will likely see their stock rise.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Hawthorne was a big time recruit out of St. Louis. Well maybe not big time but a big time one around here. With Fletch likely gone, I wouldn't mind the Rams using a pick on a 3rd/4th corner.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

What would you expect him to run at the combine? Sub-4.5s?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
What would you expect him to run at the combine? Sub-4.5s?
Yeah I'd expect him to run somewhere in the 4.45-4.52 range. I think he goes off the board somewhere in the 3rd-4th Round.

Texas vs the Nation has a few players I'm interested in. The games on February 2nd, a few players I'm going to keep a close eye on are...

1. RB Khiry Robinson
2. WR Uzoma Nwachukwu
3. LB Jonathan Stewart
4. S Ray Ray Armstrong
5. LB Phillip Steward
6. S Brynden Trawick
7. RB Ronnie Wingo
8. LB Ty Powell
9. RB Latavius Murray
10. WR TJ Moe
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I'd expect him to run somewhere in the 4.45-4.52 range. I think he goes off the board somewhere in the 3rd-4th Round.

Texas vs the Nation has a few players I'm interested in. The games on February 2nd, a few players I'm going to keep a close eye on are...

1. RB Khiry Robinson
2. WR Uzoma Nwachukwu
3. LB Jonathan Stewart
4. S Ray Ray Armstrong
5. LB Phillip Steward
6. S Brynden Trawick
7. RB Ronnie Wingo
8. LB Ty Powell
9. RB Latavius Murray
10. WR TJ Moe
I like Latavious Murray. He is a guy I was trying to think of recently when we were talking about potential RB's.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hawthorne was a big time recruit out of St. Louis. Well maybe not big time but a big time one around here. With Fletch likely gone, I wouldn't mind the Rams using a pick on a 3rd/4th corner.
Remember they've got Trumaine still, so I think they have their third corner. If one of their Day Three picks rolls around and someone just screams value at the position, so be it. But I bet the Rams could find an UDFA or vet-minimum guy to fill that spot, to be honest.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Jeff Fisher has taken 2 DB's on average throughout his career. Since they took Jenkins and Johnson last year, and both have worked out very well, it isn't likely that he uses a high pick on another corner, but I am fully expecting us to take another corner in this draft. Probably in the later rounds. What I am looking at are corners that are expected to be drafted in rounds 3-5. Without fail, someone will fall 2-3 rounds and can be had in the 5th-7th round when they originally had a 3rd-4th round grade. Drafting for value. I used to pull my hair out watching teams like the Ravens, Chargers, Eagles, and Patriots do this while we stood by and watched great value picks slide by (Brandon Siler is the first to come to mind). I am really excited to see that my team has shifted their approach in this direction.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I agree with you guys on corners. I'm not taking Hawthorne in the 3rd, I would love to have him, but as a 5th rounder or so.

What do you guys think of Jarvis Jones? He's arguably a top 5 talent in this draft but because of his situation he might slide. If, and I know its a big if, he's there at 16, do you snag him? Could be a 6-7 year career.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
I agree with you guys on corners. I'm not taking Hawthorne in the 3rd, I would love to have him, but as a 5th rounder or so.

What do you guys think of Jarvis Jones? He's arguably a top 5 talent in this draft but because of his situation he might slide. If, and I know its a big if, he's there at 16, do you snag him? Could be a 6-7 year career.
There will be a lot of attention on Jones' medical stuff at the Combine. From what one person posted on another thread (and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about) there are two types of Spinal Stenosis. One involves the lumbar (lower back) and one is cervical (neck). The cervical stenosis is supposedly much more serious. Personally, the medical isn't that big of an issue to me if it is the less serious type. What I have more of an issue with Jones are these reports coming out that he is not a hard worker and doesn't like the weight room. This tells me that he is one of those players who will only go as far as his natural talent takes him. This is one of my least favorite knocks on a player. This type of player can disengage from the game very quickly because it came so easy to them in the first place.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

A couple of interesting measurements from the Senior Bowl...

DJ Fluker measured in at 6'4" and 355, "without a lot of extra fat." He also had over 36" arms and an 87" wingspan. That, my friends, is a beast of a man.

Kyle Long showed up at a respectable 6'6" and 304, but his arm length was just over 32", right near the bottom of the offensive linemen. To me, this doesn't necessarily mean he will not be able to play RT at the next level; rather, he may be seen as a guard-only prospect because of it, which could lower his stock...to the 16th pick in the 4th round.

Margus Hunt measured in at 6'8" and 277, which was right in the ballpark I thought he would be. However, his arms were just 33 3/8", hands 9 5/8", and a wingspan of 82". Decent measurables, but not the monster length I was hoping for, and certainly not what I thought they might be for the all-time NCAA record-holder for blocked kicks. This tells me that he is an even better athlete than I thought. If he has a vertical that is anywhere above 35"-36", his stock may shoot through the roof. Definitely a 1st/2nd round pick.

Also, one article I read talked about FIU safety Jonathan Cyprien looking really good at the Senior Bowl. He weighed in at 6'0" and 209. I looked for some film on him and couldn't find any. Does anyone know anything about him? You know I love those small school guys:-)

Another guy that I have heard great things about is OT Brian Winters from Kent St. Many people from the MAC have suggested he is as good as Eric Fisher. However, one thing definitely sets them apart...Fisher came in at 6'7" and 305, while Winters measured under 6'4" and 310. That lack of height could drop him, especially since he has (I believe) always played LT.

One more player I like, kind of a homer pick for me, if you will, is CB Desmond Trufant from Washington. His older brother is Marcus Trufant, formerly of the Seahawks. Desmond has a lot of experience in the Pac 10, has decent speed and pretty good coverage skills. Measured in at 6'0" and 187. He might be the kind of corner we take in the later rounds in the draft.

Oh, and one last thing...Ravens all the way!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A couple of interesting measurements from the Senior Bowl...

DJ Fluker measured in at 6'4" and 355, "without a lot of extra fat." He also had over 36" arms and an 87" wingspan. That, my friends, is a beast of a man.

Kyle Long showed up at a respectable 6'6" and 304, but his arm length was just over 32", right near the bottom of the offensive linemen. To me, this doesn't necessarily mean he will not be able to play RT at the next level; rather, he may be seen as a guard-only prospect because of it, which could lower his stock...to the 16th pick in the 4th round.

Margus Hunt measured in at 6'8" and 277, which was right in the ballpark I thought he would be. However, his arms were just 33 3/8", hands 9 5/8", and a wingspan of 82". Decent measurables, but not the monster length I was hoping for, and certainly not what I thought they might be for the all-time NCAA record-holder for blocked kicks. This tells me that he is an even better athlete than I thought. If he has a vertical that is anywhere above 35"-36", his stock may shoot through the roof. Definitely a 1st/2nd round pick.

Also, one article I read talked about FIU safety Jonathan Cyprien looking really good at the Senior Bowl. He weighed in at 6'0" and 209. I looked for some film on him and couldn't find any. Does anyone know anything about him? You know I love those small school guys:-)

Another guy that I have heard great things about is OT Brian Winters from Kent St. Many people from the MAC have suggested he is as good as Eric Fisher. However, one thing definitely sets them apart...Fisher came in at 6'7" and 305, while Winters measured under 6'4" and 310. That lack of height could drop him, especially since he has (I believe) always played LT.

One more player I like, kind of a homer pick for me, if you will, is CB Desmond Trufant from Washington. His older brother is Marcus Trufant, formerly of the Seahawks. Desmond has a lot of experience in the Pac 10, has decent speed and pretty good coverage skills. Measured in at 6'0" and 187. He might be the kind of corner we take in the later rounds in the draft.

Oh, and one last thing...Ravens all the way!!!
Thanks for the info, stlouisfan. I was also a little disappointed in Kyle Long's arm length. He might easily drop to 4th round. Also, I am hearing that Brian Winters best position in the NFL will be OG. We'll have to see how that pans out.

Don't know anything about Cyprien but will keep my eyes and ears open. He sounds like what we are looking for and hopefully in the middle rounds.

Finally, I just get the feeling that Margus Hunt may be a Fish type player. Could easily see Fish/Snead taking him in the 2nd if he is still available.

Stay tuned....
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

What I like about Hunt is that he is extremely strong for his size, being a discus champion and all. While he may not have a ton of bulk, he does have great core strength. I think he could be effective at all 4 positions on the defensive line, which would allow a lot of versatility. I really do not like the Giants, but one thing that I do admire about them is the way they can move their front 7 around to take advantage of this matchup here or that matchup there, without missing a beat.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Another guy I keep hearing good things about is Rice TE Vance McDonald. 6'4" and 260. Everything I have read talks about his great athleticism and pass-catching ability. I couldn't ind anything recent on youtube:(
Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St. Was one of the more impressive corners at Senior Bowl practice Monday. 5'11", 190

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3nKER5Lls
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

And every report I have read mentions Ezekiel Ansah, DE, from BYU. He arrived late so his official measurements are not in yet, but is listed at 6'6" and 270 on Yahoo's BYU page. One of those high ceiling guys that Fisher loves. What I really like about him is that he doesn't always make the big play, but he holds contain a lot and has a strong understanding of what his responsibilities are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk
Closed Thread