Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I just can't seem to find a pass rusher I like of those top guys, but I'll do more researching. It's just really hard to project a 3-4 LB. Most of them though, to me, just weren't that impressive, of the guys being talked about. Jones was the only one that really ever flashed. The others didn't do much for me. But I'll look into Moore, Werner, Jordan, Okafor, and the LSU pair a little closer.

EDIT: One guy to maybe keep an eye on is David Bass for a later round. Apparently he's been too fast for everyone there at the East/West practices. And on a different front, maybe also look at S Cooper Taylor.
Yeah it's tough, the class is solid though. Pass rushers are more about projection than much else though at this point, and the defensive coaching staff here is solid. As long as you get a guy who wants it and has the tools I think they'll be okay.

You've got a guy like Jordan who has great athleticism, flexibility, and length, a good motor, frame to add bulk, is more stout than you'd think, has the versatility to drop into coverage, and stood up in college. He's raw rushing the passer but has all the tools you could ask for and has only been playing defense for three years.

Or a guy like Mingo who has great athleticism as well, violent hands, and good motor. Again needs to add weight, struggles a little to bend and run the arc, but he's got a lot to work with and is a bit younger than Jordan. Played against better competition though.

Moore you already came around on, and I haven't watched much of Werner or Okafor. Not a big Montgomery guy either. The other one is Ansah, who has great straight line speed, is extremely strong, and looks comfortable standing up. New to football but an unreal athlete, has played inside at BYU which will help a lot with his technique, and is getting JPP comparisons for a reason.

I just have a feeling somebody from that group will emerge. The same could apply to quarterbacks too. Maybe they go receiver or move down for a lineman. Not sure, but there are a lot of pass rushers in this class and it's a need so I could see it being likely.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just think that would be a lot of coaching up for a top ten pick. Those guys don't really impress me when I watch them. I watched plenty of LSU and the only player on their defense that I liked was Minter. Jordan just doesn't really have the frame to get bigger, and as is he gets washed out all the time on plays. I feel like he lacks a real edge to be a great pass rusher. He could be a decent, well-rounded OLB, but we don't really need another Pace.

Honestly, I just don't see a lot there that early. I will hope for a rise from a skill position player. Of course, the unfortunate thing is that the few teams before us all have very similar needs to us. It would seem that especially with the strength of the draft in the middle rounds and all our needs, to me, the clear-cut best option would be to trade down. But I call for trading down pretty much every year.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dunno that I agree about Jordan. He has a huge frame to put weight on, and when I've watched him he's pretty stout. Plus he's an elite athlete, way better than Pace. As far as the coaching for a top 10 pick, I don't think it's a huge deal. You look at a guy like Aldon Smith who had a much more productive first year in college than second year, or JPP who was pretty raw (though not quite a top 10 pick) and they've both found a lot of success, and early. I think the position is more about finding traits and developing guys, but that's just me.

I do agree about trading down being ideal, but I call for it every year also and it's just beginning to feel pointless.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.

trading down year for sure
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I dunno that I agree about Jordan. He has a huge frame to put weight on, and when I've watched him he's pretty stout. Plus he's an elite athlete, way better than Pace. As far as the coaching for a top 10 pick, I don't think it's a huge deal. You look at a guy like Aldon Smith who had a much more productive first year in college than second year, or JPP who was pretty raw (though not quite a top 10 pick) and they've both found a lot of success, and early. I think the position is more about finding traits and developing guys, but that's just me.

I do agree about trading down being ideal, but I call for it every year also and it's just beginning to feel pointless.
I do agree with you to some extent. There's just something I look for in a player when watching them. It's something undefinable that helps them leap off the screen. Alongside that, I like at their work ethic and what I can gather from interviews. But that's mainly with guys I've had the pleasure of watching a lot of their games. That's why people like Jordan and Mingo, who I've seen plenty of, I grade a little more harshly. But some of these prospects I didn't see a lot of, so then when I try to watch videos of them where I'm specifically only watching to see what they do, it sort of makes things more difficult because I can't go off of my natural instinct. And Jordan has a very lean frame, and is especially skinny in his lower body, so I would disagree that he has the frame to put on more weight (the right kind of weight, anyway). I seriously would rather us take Simon at #9 than either of those guys. But I don't know. I will still put faith in Rex and believe that if they have the desire (which I'm not positive of), he can make anyone great.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-18-2013 at 03:18 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, I get that you're looking for certain things when you're looking at a guy. I just tend to look at traits and see if I think they project. In terms of the Jets though, I don't think they need a guy who's that developed. Dunbar can help a lot with pass rushing technique, the staff is pretty solid.

In terms of Jordan, I think we're defining frame differently. He doesn't have particularly broad shoulders but he's a huge (6'6, 6'7) guy with really long arms and he's unbelievably skinny. If you just look at pictures there he's not close to maxed out in terms of the weight he can carry. He could easily add 15, 20 pounds to get up to that 255-260 range in his arms, core, or legs. And his functional strength is pretty good right now. I agree he has to add weight, but I don't think he's got a maxed out frame. Whether or not he's able to keep on weight, an issue I know Maybin had, is a different issue and I really have no idea.

Also I would've mentioned this regardless of whether we were discussing Jordan, but Scott has the Jets taking him in his new mock. Interesting that he has them passing on Mingo, who he has ranked higher.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-18-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am concerning about drafting OLB in the 1st round because what if Rex Ryan is axed and 4-3 dude is hired as new HC for 2014. Jordan can play OLB like in 4-3 but what about others?

If new GM wants pass rusher in the first round then it has to be his decision on which one. He has to get sense of pass rusher's ability to do both 4-3 or 3-4. Converting Jordan to 4-3 OLB is a waste of pick.

Werner or Ansah may make sense.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

It's a non-issue in my eyes. In a switch to the 4-3 they'd need a pass rushing end anyway, as I presume Wilkerson would kick inside and Coples would play left end. So if they take a 3-4 OLB in the first and switch schemes next year they'll probably pay 4-3 end with a guy like Jordan potentially playing 4-3 OLB, but maybe not.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That "MAYBE" is an issue. What if Jordan turns out OLB in 4-3 and we have to draft a pass rusher instead of a quarterback in the first round of next year's draft.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yeah, I get that you're looking for certain things when you're looking at a guy. I just tend to look at traits and see if I think they project. In terms of the Jets though, I don't think they need a guy who's that developed. Dunbar can help a lot with pass rushing technique, the staff is pretty solid.

In terms of Jordan, I think we're defining frame differently. He doesn't have particularly broad shoulders but he's a huge (6'6, 6'7) guy with really long arms and he's unbelievably skinny. If you just look at pictures there he's not close to maxed out in terms of the weight he can carry. He could easily add 15, 20 pounds to get up to that 255-260 range in his arms, core, or legs. And his functional strength is pretty good right now. I agree he has to add weight, but I don't think he's got a maxed out frame. Whether or not he's able to keep on weight, an issue I know Maybin had, is a different issue and I really have no idea.

Also I would've mentioned this regardless of whether we were discussing Jordan, but Scott has the Jets taking him in his new mock. Interesting that he has them passing on Mingo, who he has ranked higher.
I do think we have different beliefs on how people can put on weight. From what I've seen, when your frame is that small and your lower body is that small, yes, like anyone, you can add muscle, but your mass will not really do you any good. If he had a bigger lower body but what the same exact weight as he is now, he wouldn't have to put on any weight at all. The problem is that because he's so long and lanky, even with added weight, he's not going to be able to get low enough to have an advantage getting around the edge, and without the big lower body, he can't really get under linemen and drive them back. That's how I see it anyway. I guess we'll see. I'd just rather we see on someone else's team.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

To keep this brief, I think the lack of weight in his lower body is a different point altogether and entirely valid. I'm sure he'll come to the combine heavier than he played at in college, it'll be interesting to see where he carries it and how well he moves with it. Probably less of an issue than if he was playing with his hand down, but still a concern.

This ended up more about Jordan than I intended. I like him a lot and we'll see what happens with him, but obviously he's not a flawless prospect. Still, I think you're looking for more polish from a pass rusher than I think we need or will go after. I'm not sure it'll happen, but too hard to dismiss. And we'd all be happy with a trade down.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would think the Jets need to concentrate on offense in the draft, WR's in particular. If your not going to give Sanchez a #1 WR, then I see another long season coming for the Jets. I think you need a change of pace RB as well.
Your defense is solid if Revis is healthy but your offense is the pits.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Agreed the offense needs a lot more work than the defense. That said, if it's a multiple year rebuild (which I think it should be) I think you take the better players right now. Offense would be ideal but I wouldn't pass up a better defensive player who has a path to a starting job in a year or two.

Whether or not they go WR kind of depends on whether or not Holmes is brought back and what Idzik thinks of Hill. If Holmes returns and they like Hill it's not really a priority IMO.

I do hope Sanchez doesn't touch the ball next year, so giving him a #1 WR is far from a priority in my eyes. An explosive RB or one who at least can get more yardage than what's blocked (and catch the ball out of the backfield) would be ideal as well. Tight end will likely be a need with Keller as a FA.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

With my dislike for a lot of the top guys, I've been hunting for mid-round OLBs. I found my gem in Travis Long, out of WSU. I hate WSU, so I generally only watch the UW games, but now I sort of regret that. He's really good. He played as a down lineman and as a LB, as they moved him around a lot, so he's got plenty of experience in a 3-4 set-up. He has the hips and the technique to get around the edge standing up. He has an impressive array of pass-rushing moves, he's stout against the run, great motor, solid closing in on the QB (also, if Chase Thomas is ever brought up, he's horribly slow and there's no real comparison in my mind). And even better, he played for a perennial loser, so no worries there! He should be around in the 4th or 5th, depending on how he tests out (not sure if he'll be invited to the combine). I'm sort of hoping Idzik has been paying attention to the local scene.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I know you like Simon too, do you like him as an OLB? May be around in the third...fourth even.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well, I found someone much better. Jamie Collins out of Southern Miss. He's essentially Dion Jordan if he knew how to play football. In high-school he was a QB, played a small amount of time at Safety, but has been a DE/LB for most of his time in college. Electric off the edge. His closing speed on the QB is up there with Jordan, Mingo, and Werner. He has a 97-yard INT return to his name. Hearing his coach talk about him just makes him seem even more impressive with all the things they had him do. Very natural in coverage. He wouldn't be the best against the run, but that isn't really why you draft a 3-4 OLB anyway. With some bulk I think he could be serviceable. Solid motor. He played Special Teams too and appeared to be one of the first people down the field almost every time, so that's another thing to his credit. He might end up being a 2nd rounder by the time all is said and done, but he'd be worth it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I know you like Simon too, do you like him as an OLB? May be around in the third...fourth even.
Are you asking if I like Simon as an OLB? In a 3-4, I only like Simon as an OLB. I would be very surprised if he was available that late, but if he was, then that'd be a no-brainer to me. He's incredible.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Collins looked pretty good against Nebraska. I don't like him as much as I like Jordan, but if you're comparing the value of taking Jordan at 9 versus taking an offensive player at 9 or trading down and taking Collins later I think that's the better option. Better build for the position, not as stout despite that though but did a better job getting off of blocks. Motor actually didn't really impress me but I wouldn't say it was bad, ability to drop into coverage wasn't as good as Jordan either but good enough for a 3-4 OLB and certainly will have an easier time transitioning to that position than most. Probably a good schematic fit. I'd be down for drafting him. Wonder what he comes into the combine at. Obviously heavier than Jordan who was playing at like 227. My one concern with him, and I know you mentioned his issues against the run, is that he doesn't look like he'll be able to set the edge all that well and I think that's pretty important in Rex's defense. Particularly with Coples likely starting at the 5 tech and not being the most stout for that position either. They bring in the wrong guys and the defense will just get run over all game.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the OLB position this offseason. Not much cap space to go out and get a starter. Thomas is likely gone/retiring, and Pace will be cut. McIntyre started a bunch this season though. Do they bring back Pace on the cheap and start him, start McIntyre, bring in a FA, some combo of those 3, or do they just draft two guys? Almost regardless of where they draft someone they'll be getting an athleticism upgrade, but an experience downgrade obviously. Rex has had success plugging guys in and having the defense not miss a beat, but I wonder if they're going to be losing too many guys for that to work this season.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Actually, the more I look at him, the more I realize Simon is probably not a good fit for the 3-4. I just love him. Nathan Williams is probably a much better fit, but he's not anything exceptional.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, after watching one (impressive) game against Nebraska I don't particularly like Simon as a fit for the Jets. Really good, technically sound player but I don't think he looks great in space or changing directions. Think he'd be better off in a 4-3. Could maybe see him fit with a team like Pittsburgh too.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

He's also really slow off the snap, which I never noticed before. But I think he'll be good if he gets into the right situation.

I'll be posting my top 3 by position sometime today. Still working on the offense. It's going to be specifically for our team. I won't do C, NT, FB, K, and P because the first one we don't need, NT I don't see enough viable prospects for, and the last three I just don't know enough about.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Good leverage, hand use, just a natural pass rusher. Was slow off the ball at points. Pretty good against the run too.

Long looked pretty stout, able to keep the edge which I think is prioritized in this defense, flashed some movement skills. Kind of reminded me of the OLB's we have and want to replace, maybe a bit more athleticism though. Some work with Dunbar on his pass rushing repertoire could work though, had a nice spin for his sack.

Wonder what we're going to do about FB. I know Philly tended to use a lot of single back sets, but they also had two on the roster at the end of the season. Will be interesting. I'm also thinking maybe McKnight gets a shot, the more wide open style of offense should suit him better than what was being run before.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Well, I found someone much better. Jamie Collins out of Southern Miss. He's essentially Dion Jordan if he knew how to play football. In high-school he was a QB, played a small amount of time at Safety, but has been a DE/LB for most of his time in college. Electric off the edge. His closing speed on the QB is up there with Jordan, Mingo, and Werner. He has a 97-yard INT return to his name. Hearing his coach talk about him just makes him seem even more impressive with all the things they had him do. Very natural in coverage. He wouldn't be the best against the run, but that isn't really why you draft a 3-4 OLB anyway. With some bulk I think he could be serviceable. Solid motor. He played Special Teams too and appeared to be one of the first people down the field almost every time, so that's another thing to his credit. He might end up being a 2nd rounder by the time all is said and done, but he'd be worth it.

Collins is 2 years older. He won't bulk up to 250ish. Sitting at about 230. Von Miller type OLB.

Travis Long, Eric Martin, David Bass among with Chase Thomas should be looked at if we don't select OLB in the first round.

About QB situation. What the hell can we do about it? Mornhinweg stays for one season or 3 years. I think I am going to pass on qb this year.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Good leverage, hand use, just a natural pass rusher. Was slow off the ball at points. Pretty good against the run too.

Long looked pretty stout, able to keep the edge which I think is prioritized in this defense, flashed some movement skills. Kind of reminded me of the OLB's we have and want to replace, maybe a bit more athleticism though. Some work with Dunbar on his pass rushing repertoire could work though, had a nice spin for his sack.

Wonder what we're going to do about FB. I know Philly tended to use a lot of single back sets, but they also had two on the roster at the end of the season. Will be interesting. I'm also thinking maybe McKnight gets a shot, the more wide open style of offense should suit him better than what was being run before.

FB that can catch like 49ers have done. Rex Burkhead? Zach Line? Both are big RB that can fit as FB at next level.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Pretty good class of TE's too if they elect not to retain Keller. Not particularly that elite guy at the top but Eifert and Ertz are obviously solid, Escobar looks like he can really move in highlights though I haven't seen any full games, Travis Kelce is a very good blocker for a TE and pretty sure handed/athletic enough, and Dion Sims is somebody I haven't seen but sounds like would fit.