Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft Day Slide Coming for Jarvis Jones?

In an interesting twist, it is now being reported that Jarvis Jones doesn't love the weight room and basically dominated on talent alone at Georgia. That won't fly in the NFL and is a huge red flag.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/131269/jarvis-jones

Quote:
According to Walter Football's Charlie Campbell, multiple NFL scouts at the East-West Shrine expect Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones to fall out of the top-five picks in April's draft.
Per the scouts, Jones is "not a good workout guy," and may struggle at the Combine, and isn't a "weight-room guy," either. One scout also noted Jones' medical condition of spinal stenosis. After his diagnosis at USC, Trojans team doctors told Jones "he should retire from football." Jones transferred to Georgia, of course, where he was medically cleared. Still, the work ethic and medical concerns are not indicative of a top-five prospect.
Combine that with a back situation that will have some teams removing him from their board (or dropping him down quite a bit) and you have to believe he might be available later than most are predicting.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd have to imagine the jets would roll the dice on him if he's there at 9, I don't think he'll fall that far on draft day.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We've seen stranger things happen. I think there are on field concerns with Jones, the medical is obviously an issue although we don't know how much yet, and work ethic concerns are obviously an issue as well. During draft season there's always a lot of misinformation too so maybe there isn't much truth to this, but it is seems a little early for that.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The back thing is an issue. The weight room thing....meh. I think NFL teams will almost always take their chances on a ridiculous talent. Also, Walter Football sucks.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
The back thing is an issue. The weight room thing....meh. I think NFL teams will almost always take their chances on a ridiculous talent. Also, Walter Football sucks.
He needs to show some explosion at the combine. I personally have thought he was overrated.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We've been covering this topic extensively on the podcast for months.

It will be one of the most anticipated Scouting Combine medical checks that I can remember.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All the way to lucky 13! Become a buc..... Please!!!!!!
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuggitsomoree View Post
No chance he falls past the jets.
I think there is more than "no chance". There are a lot of talented players in this draft that don't have major red flags.

Ezekial Ansah, Dion Jordan, DaMontrone Moore, and others could be available when the Jets pick.

Also, what happens if the Jets medical staff comes back and says that Jones wouldn't be cleared for football?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I think there is more than "no chance". There are a lot of talented players in this draft that don't have major red flags.

Ezekial Ansah, Dion Jordan, DaMontrone Moore, and others could be available when the Jets pick.

Also, what happens if the Jets medical staff comes back and says that Jones wouldn't be cleared for football?
True...but its hard to imagine him falling past #9. If he is healthy and can be an effective pass rusher he could have a dramatic effect on that defense. A healthy Revis and an effective edge rusher make that defense damn good.
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFan View Post
True...but its hard to imagine him falling past #9. If he is healthy and can be an effective pass rusher he could have a dramatic effect on that defense. A healthy Revis and an effective edge rusher make that defense damn good.
I think this draft for the Jets needs to be all defense. With Revis back and a great draft on the D... This unit should be top 3 again.

Wait on fixing the offense until you can clear Mark and Homles off the books.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
I think this draft for the Jets needs to be all defense. With Revis back and a great draft on the D... This unit should be top 3 again.

Wait on fixing the offense until you can clear Mark and Homles off the books.
Their defense desperately needs an edge rusher, but that offense is abysmal. Keller and Greene are free agents. Landry is going to look for a big deal. I think Mingo would be a great pick. Then they should look safety and skill players on offense.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is probably a case where some teams will take him off the board altogether, and others will only downgrade him. It's going to be based on the medical report.

Would you draft Sterling Sharpe, knowing that you would only get seven years? I think so. Would you draft him if you only expected two years? Probably not.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been calling Jones overrated for months now. He's basically living off other people's performances on the field. How much does he create by himself? Not a whole lot IMO. Add that to the medical issue and now this, I'm predicting a Da'Quan Bowers-esque drafte day fall. IMO Justin Houston was a better prospect than Jones is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I've been calling Jones overrated for months now. He's basically living off other people's performances on the field. How much does he create by himself? Not a whole lot IMO. Add that to the medical issue and now this, I'm predicting a Da'Quan Bowers-esque drafte day fall. IMO Justin Houston was a better prospect than Jones is.
In a way the medical issue just clouds things a little because i personally didn't see a ton of explosiveness from Jones. Totally agree on the Justin Houston statement.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread is getting pretty silly. I get that Jones has medical issues, but he was dominant on the field. You don't rack up 45 TFL and 28 sacks in two seasons by living off other people's performances and not being explosive...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
RGKnee
Rookie

RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
This thread is getting pretty silly. I get that Jones has medical issues, but he was dominant on the field. You don't rack up 45 TFL and 28 sacks in two seasons by living off other people's performances and not being explosive...
Jones is a great player, you watch some film on him and you can't deny that, although some of his sacks and TFLs are more a result of Georgia's blitz heavy packages than any natural pass rush skills.

He'll fall a bit but stay in the first round, not only from the medical thing but from the fact that he supposedly has fairly short arms for a pass rusher, something that will cause him to struggle more with the bigger blockers at the next level.
RGKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I think it's all in the context of him being a top 10 pick, not being a good football player. Not seeing Von Miller here.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are legit concerns with Jones, but what he has done on the field should not be one of them. He has been one of the biggest playmakers and gamechangers in college football over the last two seasons.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

assume the sources are correct and he's not a top 5 pick. fair enough.

Every team from 6-10 has defensive issues and would be hard pressed to pass on him based on production. He'd have to absolutely flunk his medicals.

The Jets medical staff historically have been lenient. They drafted Chad, checked out Drob and Vilma's knees. Either don't prioritize long term productivity as a franchise or aren't good at picking up on pre-existing conditions. that may have changed in recent years but i doubt it.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
RGKnee
Rookie

RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RGKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
assume the sources are correct and he's not a top 5 pick. fair enough.

Every team from 6-10 has defensive issues and would be hard pressed to pass on him based on production. He'd have to absolutely flunk his medicals.

The Jets medical staff historically have been lenient. They drafted Chad, checked out Drob and Vilma's knees. Either don't prioritize long term productivity as a franchise or aren't good at picking up on pre-existing conditions. that may have changed in recent years but i doubt it.
There are two major types of spinal stenosis - one is a narrowing in the lower back called lumbar spinal stenosis, the other a narrowing in the neck, called cervical spinal stenosis.

If he has the lumbar type, teams won't be overly concerned, but if he has the cervical type, that's very dangerous and his stock could take a big hit. I'm guessing he has the cervical type, since it has been linked to trauma.
RGKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones reminds me a lot of Bruce Irvin...edge rusher while being a liability in run support

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the lowest he would go?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What's the lowest he would go?
I'm not sure because of his production. I said last year that I wouldn't touch Melvin Ingram in the first two rounds, and I feel pretty much the same about Jarvis Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think it's all in the context of him being a top 10 pick, not being a good football player. Not seeing Von Miller here.
This is exactly where I'm at with him, too, and I've written it before. He's a player who looks to me like he gets a lot of his statistical production because of Georgia's scheme. He gets a lot of "cleanup" sacks. The Von Miller comparisons are really just size and production parallels. And when I say something like that, there's always someone to call me a "hater," but I really wonder what is going to happen to his stock if, say, he runs a 4.71 at the combine. No one's calling him a poor athlete by saying he's no Von Miller - no one is Von Miller but Von.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest, based on what I understand about spinal stenosis, if I were a general manager of an NFL team, I would not have Jarvis Jones on my board.

If USC's docs wouldn't clear him to play, good chance my docs wouldn't either.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote