Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Offseason Mocks

For all initial salary cap figures I used the compiled list in this thread:

Initial figures PRIOR to making any cuts or signings puts us at $147,596,344 or $26.6 million over the cap. With that in mind I'll dive right in :)

FIXING THE PROBLEM

Step 1. Re-negotiate Miles Austin to an amenable amount.
*Note* Not a full restructure we cannot afford to push anymore bonus money to the end of the contract. He either takes a pay cut, which I predict, or he gets his papers. Approach Miles Austin and let him know he is a vital part of the team but not for his cap hit. Guarantee him money through 2014 in exchange for losing salary off the back of the contract.
New 2013 Cap number - $2,355,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $5,947,000

Step 2. Cut Doug Free: Designate Free as a June 1st cut
New 2013 Cap Number - $4,175,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $7,000,000

Step 3. Cut Jay Ratliff: After June 1st
Cowboys attempt to renegotiate (i.e. paycut) but Jay refuses. Combined with his lack of "team support" while injured - Eaton actually approached the organization to find out if he was suspended as he was not on the sidelines with his teammates and his blow up with Jerry it's hard to see him around at if a suitable replacement is found.
New 2013 Cap Number - $3,000,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $4,000,000

Step 4. Restructure Brandon Carr's Contract
Convert Carr's $14,300,000 2013 Salary to a $10,000,000 signing bonus, plus a $4,400,000 salary
New 2013 Cap Number - $8,900,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $7,400,000

Step 5. Negotiate a New 5-year Contract for Tony Romo
Get Romo to sign a new $85 million contract
Include a $25 million signing bonus, plus a $2.5 million first year salary
Include $40 million guaranteed (2nd year salary of $13.5 million guaranteed)
New 2013 Cap Number - $12,818,833
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $4,000,000

Step 6. Restructure Jason Witten's Contract
Convert Witten's $5.5 million salary to a 4.5 million signing bonus, plus a $1.1 million salary
New 2013 Cap Number - $4,500,000
2013 Cap Savings - $3,500,000

Step 7. Designate Josh Brent NFI (Non-Football-Illness)
Total 2013 Cap savings $575,000

Step 8. Restructure and extend DeMarcus Ware's contract
Convert Ware's 5.5 million salary to a $4 million signing bonus, plus a salary of $1.6 million
New 2013 Cap Number - $9,321,750
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $2,900,000

With these 8 steps, the Cowboys can reduce the 2013 salary cap charge to $112,274,344.

Additional cost cutting measures:

Cut Phillip Tanner
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $555,000

Cut Donavon Kemp
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $480,000

Cut Lawrence Vickers
New 2013 Cap Number - $100,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $1,100,000

Cut Dan Connor
New 2013 Cap Number - $1,350,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $1,650,000

Cut Marcus Spears: After June 1st
New 2013 Cap Number - $1,050,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $950,000

FINAL cap number prior to FA / Draft::::::: $107,539,344 ($13,360,656 in cap space) = Figure $6,000,000 for the rookie pool leaving $7360656 for free agency

FREE AGENCY

L.P. Ladouceur: Resign (~750,000 per year) - Best LS we've ever had. Period.
Sammie Hill (1,500,000 2013 cap hit) - 4-3 NT we'll need a hoss in the middle as all as our line is in desparate need of a little beef.
Ernie Sims: 1 year 750,000 - Veteran backup at LB.
Phil Costa: (715,000 2013 cap hit) - Depth and competition at center
Anthony Spencer: Resign (6 years - $38,000,000 (see Ahmad Brooks with more guaranteed and less incentives): 2013 Cap hit $3,000,000 - Creative cap work to give Dallas two agile, intelligent DEs to fit the Tampa-2. Will need to be creative for run defense however with two light ends.

Remaining Cap Space: $6,645,656

Whew - Checked all the boxes and came in with $645,656 under the cap including the incoming $6,000,000 rookie wage pool. Not bad.

DRAFT:
Cowboys TRADE the 18th pick in the NFL draft to the Bills/Jax/Philly in exchange for the 2nd (~40th) and 5th (~140) selections in the 2013 draft and their first round selection in the 2014 draft. (Almost carbon copy of the JP Losman trade in 2004).

2T)Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
Dallas is waifer thin at DE in the new 4-3 scheme even with Anthony Spencer retained. Hunt offers an EXTREMELY high ceiling and fully capable of wreaking havoc from any spot on the defensive line. Kiffin is going to get a strong voice in the draft room and a pressure player on the front 4 is likely to be the object of his affection.

2)Dallas Thomas, G/RT, Tennessee
Dallas waits less than a minute to walk the card up for a player of the same name Mr. Dallas Thomas, G/OT, Tennessee. Cowboys plan to kick him over to RG after he successfully transitioned from LT to LG during the 2012. He had no problems dealing with elite NFL prospects playing against the top DTs in the class from the SEC.

3)DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina
After missing out on Kenny Vaccaro in the first and watching Reid and Thomas taken off the board prior to their second selection in the 2nd round Dallas is ecstatic for landing Swearinger. A rangy yet physical safety capable of ball-hawking as well as delivering the bone jarring blows he is an EXCELLENT fit for Kiffin's incoming scheme.

4)David Bass, DE, Missouri Western
Raw but incredible athlete. Honestly would of loved him regardless of scheme (3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE). For as quick and fluid as he is at 265lbs he could be an absolute nightmare of passing downs.

5t)Zach Line, RB/FB/H-Back, SMU
Dallas nabs the slipping Zach Line who doesn't have an NFL position by modern convention. A quick interview with Jerry Jones reveals the 'Boys are interested in using him as as a power back/FB combo and utilizing his excellent hands and blitz protect. After the unsuccessful utilization of traditional lead-blocking FBs Line is much more athletic and adept to pass catching while still being no slouch in lead blocking and protection.

5)B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary
Extremely quick and fast. Elite recovery speed. Undersized and projects to play inside at CB.

6)Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR, Utah State
Explosive, excellent lateral ability and balance, great hands, packed into a small frame. Obvious weakness lies with his diminutive frame however is a willing blocker.

Primary UDFA / Trade for 7th Rounder: Alex Carder, QB, Western Michigan
Carder will slip due to being injured the latter half of the season but he has all the tools to become an NFL starting QB. He's played through injury, team captain, and has a live arm. He has a knack for keeping plays alive by moving his feet but also has a reputation of forcing throws. Dallas takes him to groom as their, inactive, 3rd QB this season.

Primary UDFA: Ryan Griffin, TE, Connecticut
Projected to be the 4th TE and has a chance to make the 53 based on special teams play and ability to block. Griffin is an active and able blocker more committed seemingly than some of his UCONN teammates. Has the size and ability to be a large red zone target as well.

FINAL ROSTER:

OFFENSE (25)

QB (3)
Tony Romo
Kyle Orton
Alex Carder

RB (3)
DeMarco Murray
Lance Dunbar
Kerwynn Williams (KR/PR)

FB (1)
Zach Line (Power RB/FB/H-Back)

WR (5)
Dez Bryant
Miles Austin
Dwayne Harris
Cole Beasley
Danny Coale

TE (3)
Jason Witten
James Hanna
Ryan Griffin

OT (3)
Tyron Smith
Jermey Parnell
Darrion Weems

OG (4)
OG - Nate Livings
OG - Dallas Thomas (Will also backup OT)
OG - Mackenzy Bernadeau
OG - David Arkin

OC (3)
Ryan Cook
Kevin Kowalski
Phil Costa

DEFENSE (25)

DE (5)
DeMarcus Ware
Anthony Spencer
Margus Hunt
Tyrone Crawford
David Bass

DT (5)
Sammie Hill
Jason Hatcher
Sean Lissenmore
Ben Bass
Brian Price

LB (6)
Bruce Carter (WLB)
Sean Lee (MLB)
Alex Albright (SLB)
Kyle Wilbur (Backup to SLB)
Ernie Sims (Backup to MLB/WLB)
Caleb McSurdy

CB (5)
Brandon Carr
Morris Claiborne
Orlando Scandrick
B.W. Williams
Sterling Moore (Backup FS)

S (4)
Barry Church (SS)
Gerald Sensabaugh (FS)
DJ Swearinger (FS)
Matt Johnson (FS/SS)

ST (3)
PK - Dan Bailey
P - Chris Jones
LS - L.P. Ladouceur

Total (53)

Just about completed. Will polish and flesh out some of the draft picks and make it prettier but I'm beat. Numbers SHOULD be correct but after making last minute changes they be a tad off. I will check the math again at some point.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Trogdor : 01-19-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 AM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

I like your ideas and your vision. Just wondering where sensabaugh ended up in this scenario. I know he could be cut without taking much of a cap hit, but didn't see that in there and he is not on the final roster.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
I like your ideas and your vision. Just wondering where sensabaugh ended up in this scenario. I know he could be cut without taking much of a cap hit, but didn't see that in there and he is not on the final roster.
Good catch. I originally cut him for the $2,600,000 cap savings but in this scenario kept him. I will edit him back in. He will be competing with Church AND DJ for a starting safety role.

The cap number reflects him ON the team so I will cut Danny McCray to make room on the roster and reflect this on the final roster and cap number.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well done sir.

I can dig this, Sammie Hill was someone I had in mind as well.. I'd love to add him to our rotation.

I'm not crazy about Hunt but he has some crazy triangle numbers, if anyone could get him to reach his potential its Marinelli.

Love Thomas and Swearinger picks

And stockpiling 1st rounders for future drafts is always a good thing, especially when that draft will have Clowney in it.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't discount our need on the DL, but you've allocated significant resources to Spencer, who's been inconsistent and may be entering the downside of his career in a year or two, and also 2 of our 4 highest draft choices as well as some of our free cap space with Hill.

Then we've only addressed the OL with one pick and have the same situation at Center and an unproven guy at RT.

The cap analysis is tremendous, very helpful to see the impact of these moves. I love the Williams pick, if it lasts to rd 6, I'll be surprised, however I disagree with your focus this offseason, which has to be OL in my opinion.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I don't discount our need on the DL, but you've allocated significant resources to Spencer, who's been inconsistent and may be entering the downside of his career in a year or two, and also 2 of our 4 highest draft choices as well as some of our free cap space with Hill.

Then we've only addressed the OL with one pick and have the same situation at Center and an unproven guy at RT.

The cap analysis is tremendous, very helpful to see the impact of these moves. I love the Williams pick, if it lasts to rd 6, I'll be surprised, however I disagree with your focus this offseason, which has to be OL in my opinion.
Thanks :) As far as the offensive line this time around I really tried to hone in on what I SEE Dallas doing in the offseason rather than what I want them to do. I personally think we need 2 high-mid picks spent on the interior line and a veteran swing tackle just in case Parnell struggles. I can honestly see Dallas keeping Free and attempting to have him take a paycut and in exchange we'll move money into a roster bonus in 2014 (meaning if he beats out Parnell and plays well he'll make the team in 2014).

As far as the end result we certainly put a heavy emphasis on the defensive line but without an attacking 4 man pass rush the planned Cover-2 scheme is going to fail miserably. You have to generate pressure with 4 down lineman or any good QB will pick the zones apart which is exactly why I see Dallas aiming to fix the defensive line while adding a significant piece on the oline and attempting to let them gel. Super limited on the cash side and I'll do another one of these after the Super Bowl that will in all likelihood have us releasing Sensy and keeping Free.

The cap situation for us isn't pretty and we are going to gimp one of the trenches no matter what this offseason. I certainly think you could make a few changes like swapping Bass for another one of his Shrine game participants, Terron Armstead, and then leaving Dallas Thomas to play solely at guard. I think Parnell was auditioning for the job when he was splitting time and given the performance reviews that the staff gave him stating that he did well and the lack of rumblings about restructuring/pay cut being in the mix for Free I think we'll be passing him the job. I did intend to sign a veteran swing but chose to bring back Phil Costa as he performed well prior to his unfortunate string of injuries.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well first things first, AWESOME job! Very well organized and easy to follow. Lot of credit to you for the restructuring portion. That's a bigger chunk to chew than I wanted to attempt. I couldn't even imagine what would be possible.

Not the biggest fan of letting Ratliff go, but I understand why you did it. I think I'm gonna try something different in my mock though.

As for the draft, you know any mock with us getting Swearinger gives me a big hard boner. LOL. Kerwin Williams is a good pick. I like him and I think he could make the team and provide an impact. Don't know much about Zach Line though.

Don't have a lot of time now, but I'll check it out more later. Once again, nice job dude!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i liked what you did with the cap sad to see ratliff go but tough decisions have to me made and thought it was well organized and good plan up until your draft

i honestly dont see a team trading up to get mike glennon or geno smith or whoever but whatever its a mock draft but i have serious hate alot of the picks u made

1. i don't understand why we would pay spencer and draft height-weight-speed (HWS) guy at the same position. there is the old-saying....those who do not know their history are failed to repeat it. trading back and taking a HWS seems eerily similar to the 2009 brandon williams pick and on top that margus hunt is at least year and probably two from being a every down player, i just don't think it would make much sense to trade back and take a player who can't help you as a rookie unless its a qb.

2. dallas thomas did NOT make the successful transition to guard. tennessee moved him their to get the best 5 guys on the field but guard is not his best position. as vols fans and as someone who has watched alot film since week 16 on o-lineman, im telling you he's not a guard, in many short yardage situation he got pushed back and rag dolled b/c he doesn't have inline power to move big dt's in those situations. thomas is a finesse, zone-blocking tackle not a power guy at all in fact he's alot like parnell, just more experienced with a better pedigree

3. i have no issue with swearinger or bass (ima have to look him to get a better feel but all the scouting the reports have him as elite athlete with alot versality and upside not bad for the 4th round) but zach line and kerwynn williams. im not big on fullbacks that can't block and demarco murray is power back who like to play behind a fullback i don't see them as a good fit. as for kerwynn williams to have him and lance dunbar as the backups to demarco murray is dumb. if demarco has to miss any extended which he has the last 2 seasons, we're gonna be right back where we were this year with two small backs behind the pretty the same shoddy line = NO RUNNING GAME

i know ive been harsh but im just giving you my honest opinion, realistically i only see 2 player who could actually help out this year play any significant time out of this draft class and alot question marks
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i liked what you did with the cap sad to see ratliff go but tough decisions have to me made and thought it was well organized and good plan up until your draft

i honestly dont see a team trading up to get mike glennon or geno smith or whoever but whatever its a mock draft but i have serious hate alot of the picks u made

1. i don't understand why we would pay spencer and draft height-weight-speed (HWS) guy at the same position. there is the old-saying....those who do not know their history are failed to repeat it. trading back and taking a HWS seems eerily similar to the 2009 brandon williams pick and on top that margus hunt is at least year and probably two from being a every down player, i just don't think it would make much sense to trade back and take a player who can't help you as a rookie unless its a qb.

2. dallas thomas did NOT make the successful transition to guard. tennessee moved him their to get the best 5 guys on the field but guard is not his best position. as vols fans and as someone who has watched alot film since week 16 on o-lineman, im telling you he's not a guard, in many short yardage situation he got pushed back and rag dolled b/c he doesn't have inline power to move big dt's in those situations. thomas is a finesse, zone-blocking tackle not a power guy at all in fact he's alot like parnell, just more experienced with a better pedigree

3. i have no issue with swearinger or bass (ima have to look him to get a better feel but all the scouting the reports have him as elite athlete with alot versality and upside not bad for the 4th round) but zach line and kerwynn williams. im not big on fullbacks that can't block and demarco murray is power back who like to play behind a fullback i don't see them as a good fit. as for kerwynn williams to have him and lance dunbar as the backups to demarco murray is dumb. if demarco has to miss any extended which he has the last 2 seasons, we're gonna be right back where we were this year with two small backs behind the pretty the same shoddy line = NO RUNNING GAME

i know ive been harsh but im just giving you my honest opinion, realistically i only see 2 player who could actually help out this year play any significant time out of this draft class and alot question marks
Certainly valid points.

1. The entire reason for drafting Hunt and Bass was the fact they have so much untapped potential and we'll have time to develop them to replace Ware and Spencer when they near the end of their contracts. The 4-3 demands pass rushers and currently we have 1 who has been suffering the beatings of constant doubles all his career. Early in their career they'll be rotational guys and Hunt is fully capable of taking reps at 3-tech on the defensive line as well. I don't understand the Butler/Hunt comparison aside from calling them both HWS guys. Victor Butler was an outstanding pass rusher who never received playing time due to being completely inept against the run. He was always considered one of the best pass rushers on the team.

2. Going to have to agree to disagree on Dallas Thomas. I watched quite a few of his gamesbut I didn't see him getting "Doug Free'd (ragdolled)" even by the larger NTs. One thing I have to agree with is that he is not a mauler but I don't believe that is someone that Garrett is targeting. The struggles I saw with Thomas were with speed rushers. He has excellent feet but if the defender could dip and get to his shoulder with an excellent first step he was in trouble. He certainly isn't overly assertive at the point of attack so I can see the complaint in short-yardage situations.

3. Zach Line provides us with something we haven't had in a while. Power running threat, FB capable of being dangerous in the passing game, excellent pass protector, average as a lead blocker. Considering how poorly we looked when one of the "elite" lead blockers was leading the charge (Vickers) I can easily see us transitioning to the more athletic and versatile FB mold. Line certainly isn't going to blow a LB out of the hole on interior rushes but he is fully capable of leading the charge on a counter and sealing off the LB/DE. If DeMarco misses time we'll be having three backs carry the load (Dunbar, Williams, and the aforementioned Zach Line).

The situation for us is very similar to last season. We are going to end up undermanned somewhere and most likely it'll be one of the trenches. If we don't reload the DE position we're going to struggle to get pressure with 4 man rushes and the scheme is going to fall apart against any decent QB. On the flip side if we don't reload on the OL Romo is going to be running for his life and our running game will struggle. In this scenario I was envisioning a fully healthy line with all camp to gel and the right side of Thomas - Parnell outperforming Bernie - Free by a large margin.

Thanks for the feedback though. On my next mock I'm planning on giving a lot more love to the offensive line I imagine depending on how the picture looks after the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vickers gives us more than on field production. His demeanor is infectious and motivating. Been a mentor to Dez and I think keeping that going would be good. I'd like to see him build a relationship with Murray that is special. I'm hoping that our new RB coach can stir that Magic.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Vickers gives us more than on field production. His demeanor is infectious and motivating. Been a mentor to Dez and I think keeping that going would be good. I'd like to see him build a relationship with Murray that is special. I'm hoping that our new RB coach can stir that Magic.
His on-the-field performance though was dreadful. I didn't think he was all that good during the season and then PFF's review wasn't good either. No way he'll be around when we can save more than a million to kick him to the curb.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
His on-the-field performance though was dreadful. I didn't think he was all that good during the season and then PFF's review wasn't good either. No way he'll be around when we can save more than a million to kick him to the curb.
When your rushing game is 31st in the league, that review can't be good. But a lot of factors go into that besides playing FB. Career wise, Vickers is good. Damn good. Saving a million is nada.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
When your rushing game is 31st in the league, that review can't be good. But a lot of factors go into that besides playing FB. Career wise, Vickers is good. Damn good. Saving a million is nada.
Don't get me wrong I love power football I just can't envision a scenario where our offensive line becomes adept at it. I think we could be a success running team with a basis on deception (counters, crack toss, etc) but all of those types of plays don't require a bulldozer at FB. I also think we can use every last penny this offseason.

I agree Vickers is beyond good when you evaluate his career as a whole though. I loved the signing and honestly wish we weren't in salary cap purgatory.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I love power football I just can't envision a scenario where our offensive line becomes adept at it. I think we could be a success running team with a basis on deception (counters, crack toss, etc) but all of those types of plays don't require a bulldozer at FB. I also think we can use every last penny this offseason.

I agree Vickers is beyond good when you evaluate his career as a whole though. I loved the signing and honestly wish we weren't in salary cap purgatory.
That's a nice thought. Didn't see ya change up the OC in your mock though. So long as Jason is calling stuff, we ain't seeing none of that. haha.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like what you did, very detailed. Great stuff/suggestions with the cap maneuvering.

A few things I didn't:

*3rd for Swearinger seems high to me. I'm not a fan, he's too stiff.

*5th seems high for the SMU fullback/H-back tweener.

*Can't get excited about a Defense that starts Alex Albright, Gerald Sensabaugh, and Barry Church as well as no impact DT's.

* Can't get excited about an O Line that starts Parnell and Costa. We need to improve there or Romo will be running for his life again.

* Just noticed you retained Sims. I think he beats out Albright especially in the Tampa 2.

D-Unit, weren't you "overly excited" about a South Carolina Safety last year as well?
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Certainly valid points.

1. The entire reason for drafting Hunt and Bass was the fact they have so much untapped potential and we'll have time to develop them to replace Ware and Spencer when they near the end of their contracts. The 4-3 demands pass rushers and currently we have 1 who has been suffering the beatings of constant doubles all his career. Early in their career they'll be rotational guys and Hunt is fully capable of taking reps at 3-tech on the defensive line as well. I don't understand the Butler/Hunt comparison aside from calling them both HWS guys. Victor Butler was an outstanding pass rusher who never received playing time due to being completely inept against the run. He was always considered one of the best pass rushers on the team.

2. Going to have to agree to disagree on Dallas Thomas. I watched quite a few of his gamesbut I didn't see him getting "Doug Free'd (ragdolled)" even by the larger NTs. One thing I have to agree with is that he is not a mauler but I don't believe that is someone that Garrett is targeting. The struggles I saw with Thomas were with speed rushers. He has excellent feet but if the defender could dip and get to his shoulder with an excellent first step he was in trouble. He certainly isn't overly assertive at the point of attack so I can see the complaint in short-yardage situations.

3. Zach Line provides us with something we haven't had in a while. Power running threat, FB capable of being dangerous in the passing game, excellent pass protector, average as a lead blocker. Considering how poorly we looked when one of the "elite" lead blockers was leading the charge (Vickers) I can easily see us transitioning to the more athletic and versatile FB mold. Line certainly isn't going to blow a LB out of the hole on interior rushes but he is fully capable of leading the charge on a counter and sealing off the LB/DE. If DeMarco misses time we'll be having three backs carry the load (Dunbar, Williams, and the aforementioned Zach Line).

The situation for us is very similar to last season. We are going to end up undermanned somewhere and most likely it'll be one of the trenches. If we don't reload the DE position we're going to struggle to get pressure with 4 man rushes and the scheme is going to fall apart against any decent QB. On the flip side if we don't reload on the OL Romo is going to be running for his life and our running game will struggle. In this scenario I was envisioning a fully healthy line with all camp to gel and the right side of Thomas - Parnell outperforming Bernie - Free by a large margin.
Thanks for the feedback though. On my next mock I'm planning on giving a lot more love to the offensive line I imagine depending on how the picture looks after the Senior Bowl.
1. margus hunt as a 3 tech what in the world are you lookin at to think he can play the 3 tech. he doesnt fire off the ball and beat blocks at the point of attack when he's been inside, he's a place holder at this point. oh btw i compared drafting him to BRANDON WILLIAMS NOT VICTOR BUTLER. u need to pull out ur reading glasses

2. there was one play tennessee had in a goal to go in the first half and dj sqaure ran him over, to me his best fit is in a zone scheme either at guard or tackle. he's 6'5'' and only weighs 305, he not going to be able to anchor or generate consistent push in the run game and he's not an explosive athlete despite being undersized like cooper, i don't see him as a fit here at all.

i think the cowboys offensive line play was embarrassing at best i don't think their that stubborn to roll out there with the similar level a talent level. to me they changed defenses because they won't have to make major personnel changes. i expect this to be a heavy offensive draft. i would be surprised if we didnt come out of this draft with at least 2 OL and either a RB,WR,TE help as well. the cowboys have taken for granted romo's ability to escape pressure for far too long, i expect that to change this year

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 01-22-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
1. margus hunt as a 3 tech what in the world are you lookin at to think he can play the 3 tech. he doesnt fire off the ball and beat blocks at the point of attack when he's been inside, he's a place holder at this point. oh btw i compared drafting him to BRANDON WILLIAMS NOT VICTOR BUTLER. u need to pull out ur reading glasses
My apologies for the comparison when I'm done with my reading glasses I will pass them to you to watch tape on Margus Hunt. Doesn't fire off the ball? He's the first guy to move on the snap, lightning quick first step, and can rip inside (rare), or dip his shoulder and round the lineman before they even complete their kick-step. Fresno State is the game everyone points to but the man he was lined up played incredibly poorly. Take this play against Pitt for example. Off the snap he's the inside man responsible for splitting the gap between the guard and tackle. He fires off the ball into the gap and is by the guard before he can even get his hands up.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXIV8LYURsc&t=0m12s[/media]

Incredibly raw but we are talking about a 295 lb athletic of pure muscle that runs a 4.7 with an 84" wingspan. Teach him how to use his hands and somehow play lower for leverage and he's going to be a nightmare. He's honestly my #2 DE target in terms of value/draft position. David Bass (whom I selected later) might be the biggest steal in the draft if he puts it all together.

Quote:
2. there was one play tennessee had in a goal to go in the first half and dj sqaure ran him over, to me his best fit is in a zone scheme either at guard or tackle. he's 6'5'' and only weighs 305, he not going to be able to anchor or generate consistent push in the run game and he's not an explosive athlete despite being undersized like cooper, i don't see him as a fit here at all.
Make no doubt about it. By passing on Warmack and Cooper you are missing the elite group of interior lineman in this draft. Those two are the only two fully capable of doing everything you ask of them. After that it's a trade off. If we are going to ask him to pull on a lot of plays he's a good fit. If we ask him to inline block power-I style then he's a horrible fit. I'm projecting less of the straight-ahead power running and more of the finesse misdirection/counter/crack-toss type of rushing attack. Looking at the type of lineman we have been using since Garrett arrived we are moving away from the immobile mountain men and more towards guys with quick feet.

Using a single play to point out a flaw in a prospect is cherry picking as well. I can find you a couple plays where even Chance Warmack gets pushed into his QB due to poor anchor but it isn't the norm. Dallas Thomas definitely needs to work on his anchor but to suggest he has zero anchor or incapable of playing anything but ZBS is facetious at best.
[/quote]

Quote:
i think the cowboys offensive line play was embarrassing at best i don't think their that stubborn to roll out there with the similar level a talent level. to me they changed defenses because they won't have to make major personnel changes. i expect this to be a heavy offensive draft. i would be surprised if we didnt come out of this draft with at least 2 OL and either a RB,WR,TE help as well. the cowboys have taken for granted romo's ability to escape pressure for far too long, i expect that to change this year
Agreed. As I said in my next one I'd go much heavier on offensive lineman and wouldn't go with the trade-back I projected above. Can't go two mocks in a row without selecting Cooper :)

Something along the lines of:

1) Johnathan Cooper, OG, UNC
2) Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
3) Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia
4) David Bass, DE, Missouri Western
5) Jawan Jamison, RB
6) Michael Mauti, LB, Penn State (Sean Lee type instincts but coming off ACL tears in the last two years. Team captain, etc. RKG (right kind of guy).

Instead of signing Sammie Hill in this scenario Dallas would sign soon-to-be-cut Dallas native Jason Smith (OT). Smith would likely sign for veteran minimum or somewhere near there after completely bottom'ing out for the Rams and then Jets. Phil Costa would not return in this scenario as Bernie would be the starting C with competition from Cook. Sensabaugh will be cut in this scenario and sign Corey Lynch as a core special teamer with the able to backup Church at SS.

Smith - Livings - Bernie - Cooper - Parnell

Swing OT: Jason Smith (Weems inactive but on 53)

Tough sell on Rambo in the third but provided he interviews well and is done failing drug tests for pot I can see the value in the pick.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Let's try to provide critique without insulting one another. I noticed you like to do that. No reason to get angry.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd34 View Post
Like what you did, very detailed. Great stuff/suggestions with the cap maneuvering.

A few things I didn't:

*3rd for Swearinger seems high to me. I'm not a fan, he's too stiff.

*5th seems high for the SMU fullback/H-back tweener.

*Can't get excited about a Defense that starts Alex Albright, Gerald Sensabaugh, and Barry Church as well as no impact DT's.

* Can't get excited about an O Line that starts Parnell and Costa. We need to improve there or Romo will be running for his life again.

* Just noticed you retained Sims. I think he beats out Albright especially in the Tampa 2.

D-Unit, weren't you "overly excited" about a South Carolina Safety last year as well?
The guy last year was Antonio Allen. Not as a FS though. More in the role of that hybrid LB/S position that Church played for us in Nickel downs. Allen played the Spur position for the Gamecocks. Since he didn't play S in college, and was undersized for LB, a lot of teams didn't know what to do with him. That's why he fell in the draft. I wasn't a fan of Church last year and that hasn't changed despite the fact that we gave him a new contract. That new contract isn't really bulletproof either. The cap hit for waiving him is low.

With Swearinger, I fully believe he can go as high as the mid 3rd round where we are picking. Perhaps even higher after he validates himself at the combine (which I think he will). Teams know he can play safety and have the film to evaluate him on. What they'll also find is that Carolina also lined him up at Corner at times. Swearinger's versatility to play either S position is gonna be valuable to his stock.

With Kiffin here, Safeties will be asked to (legally) punish receivers. Jarring the ball loose with big hits is a big facet of the Tampa 2. It's a big part of that whole concept of "creating turnovers" with this defense. Swearinger doesn't have elite speed/hips but that's why he's still here in the 3rd. For the record, I don't know if there is a single safety in this draft who does have elite speed/hips. But he does have a nose for the ball and he plays with extreme confidence, which is the kind of infectious attitude that has helped teams like the Ravens and Steelers.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
My apologies for the comparison when I'm done with my reading glasses I will pass them to you to watch tape on Margus Hunt. Doesn't fire off the ball? He's the first guy to move on the snap, lightning quick first step, and can rip inside (rare), or dip his shoulder and round the lineman before they even complete their kick-step. Fresno State is the game everyone points to but the man he was lined up played incredibly poorly. Take this play against Pitt for example. Off the snap he's the inside man responsible for splitting the gap between the guard and tackle. He fires off the ball into the gap and is by the guard before he can even get his hands up.

Incredibly raw but we are talking about a 295 lb athletic of pure muscle that runs a 4.7 with an 84" wingspan. Teach him how to use his hands and somehow play lower for leverage and he's going to be a nightmare. He's honestly my #2 DE target in terms of value/draft position. David Bass (whom I selected later) might be the biggest steal in the draft if he puts it all together.

Make no doubt about it. By passing on Warmack and Cooper you are missing the elite group of interior lineman in this draft. Those two are the only two fully capable of doing everything you ask of them. After that it's a trade off. If we are going to ask him to pull on a lot of plays he's a good fit. If we ask him to inline block power-I style then he's a horrible fit. I'm projecting less of the straight-ahead power running and more of the finesse misdirection/counter/crack-toss type of rushing attack. Looking at the type of lineman we have been using since Garrett arrived we are moving away from the immobile mountain men and more towards guys with quick feet.

Using a single play to point out a flaw in a prospect is cherry picking as well. I can find you a couple plays where even Chance Warmack gets pushed into his QB due to poor anchor but it isn't the norm. Dallas Thomas definitely needs to work on his anchor but to suggest he has zero anchor or incapable of playing anything but ZBS is facetious at best.
margus hunt is not a 295 lb beast he is only 277 and he's thin in the lower body. i don't see him as a 3 tech as his best position. to me he's a de in 4-3 now with the size potential to be 5 tech end. yeah he has a rip move but he's doesnt shed the blocker once he rips underneath, he wins with it b/c he a better athlete going up against mid level competition. that won't work for him as a bread butter in the nfl and plus the rip move takes away his best asset, his length and he has no idea of how to counterpunch. just shooting the gap with your shoulders and not using your hands to rid yourself of the blockers won't work either and i notice he does that alot too. if the cowboys were loaded with talent like the niners of patriots or talentless like the jaguars he would be a good pick, bc those teams could afford to bring him along slowly and teach him. time is ticking on the window for this team to win now, i just don't believe margus hunt is gonna help that much early on in his career.

as for thomas yeah its only one play, but the other plays he gets no movement and even gives some ground in the run game, i was giving an example of when he had to man up in that phone booth he got crushed, i dont see him as fit unless the cowboys were going to go to zone heavy run blocking scheme, then it would be great pick

btw thanks for the glasses i pawned off the frames and used the money to buy a key board wrist rest that im using while typing up this reply thx!!!!

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 01-23-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
boogeydown
Rookie

boogeydown is a cocksman.boogeydown is a cocksman.boogeydown is a cocksman.
Default My Mock Offseason

Using the same cap figures and restructuring that was already provided.

Cut:
Doug Free, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Gerald Sensabugh, Dan Connor

Resign:
Ernie Sims, JP Ladouceur, Phil Costa, Victor Butler

Free Agents:
S Jairus Byrd- instead of resigning Anthony Spencer we use the money on the ball hawking Byrd.
DT Glenn Dorsey- Losing Ratliff, Spears and Brent will leave us thin and DT. Dorsey has been playing in the 3-4 which diminished his value and he should come relatively cheap

Draft: (Im not gonna guess any trades)
1st- DE Ezekiel Ansah. 6'5 270lbs BYU
Ansah has loads of potential and is drawing some comparisons to JPP.
2nd- C Barret Jones. 6'4 305lbs Alabama
Jones is a tad overrated but is still smart and can play OG of needed.
3rd- OG Alvin Bailey. 6'5 315lbs Arkansas
Mauler that paved the way for the Arkansas run game.
4th- DT Kwame Geathers. 6'5 350lbs Georgia
More depth and a stout run stuffer.
5th- RB Rex Burkhead. 5'11 210lbs Nebraska
Bring the Plano kid home. He can run and catch and is a perfect backup to Murray
6th- CB Tyrann Mathieu. 5'9 178lbs LSU
If he's still available at this point I take the chance.
7th- OT Manase Foketi. 6'5 330lbs. West Texas A&M
Massive OT that has potential.
Rookie FA- QB Alex Carder

Roster:
QB- Romo, Orton, Carder
RB- Murray, Burkhead, Dunbar
FB- Vickers
TE- Witten, Hannah, Philips
WR- Bryant, Austin, Harris, Beasley, Coale
OT- Smith, Parnell, Foketi
OG- Livings, Bailey, Bernadeu, Kowalski
C- Jones, Costa

DE- Ware, Ansah, Crawford, Butler
DT- Hatcher, Dorsey, Lissemore, Geathers, Price
LB- Carter, Lee, Albright, Sims, Wilber, McSurdy
CB- Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Mathieu, Moore
S- Church, Byrd, Johnson

SP- Bailey, Jones, Ladouceur
boogeydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogeydown View Post

Cut:

Resign:

Free Agents:
S Jairus Byrd- instead of resigning Anthony Spencer we use the money on the ball hawking Byrd.
DT Glenn Dorsey- Losing Ratliff, Spears and Brent will leave us thin and DT. Dorsey has been playing in the 3-4 which diminished his value and he should come relatively cheap

Bring the Plano kid home. He can run and catch and is a perfect backup to Murray

Roster:
QB- Romo, Orton, Carder
FB- Vickers
C- Jones, Costa

S- Church, Byrd, Johnson

another boom or bust DE as the first pick
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Cut:

Resign:

Free Agents:

Roster:
QB- Romo, Orton, Carder
FB- Vickers
C- Jones, Costa

S- Church, Byrd, Johnson

If Jerry Jones actually did this, I can't say that I'd be totally upset. Interesting twist on Spencer/Byrd. I've always liked Byrd even as a draft prospect. Dorsey is exactly what we need.

I'm not a fan of Ansah, but I know a lot of others are. I don't get it, but ok. I've been wrong plenty times before. I love Barrett Jones but his foot injury scares me. If we can get him in the 3rd, I'd be thrilled with that. Bailey is a cool 3rd round pick up. Geathers is big and I can't complain about that. I'm also a fan of Burkhead and I agree with your comments on him. Tyrann probably won't pass Garrett's "right kinda guy" motto, but I love his talent/value there. ...and Foketi is a guy who we could develop. Nice potential there.

Overall, I really like this mock. Simply done, but well executed!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:

Cut:

Resign:

Free Agents:

Roster:
QB- Romo, Orton, Carder
FB- Vickers
C- Jones, Costa

S- Church, Byrd, Johnson

i don't think jairus byrd is going to make it fa, i read back in december, bills have two key players to resign byrd and levitre the G/C. more than likely they'll use the franchise tag on byrd b/c safety salary isn't that high and try to resign levitre. so i wouldn't feel comfortable penciling him in a fa target

as for your draft, don't drink the kool-aid about comparing ansah to jpp. jpp was way more flexible and fluid athlete and had a more natural feel for the game when he was coming out, plus he had more experience b/c he got alot experience playing in joco b4 going to usf vs ansah who was track athlete who's basically been a special teams player prior to this year.

barrett jones is way overrated in my book, he has all the accolades, but their alot of other players that i think will be better pro prospects than him. like warford or

i like bailey, and mathieu low risk, not a fan geathers. i know kiffin likes having interior lineman who get up the field and that not geathers at all. btw we don't have a 7th rounder we traded to mia for ryan cook
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
i don't think jairus byrd is going to make it fa, i read back in december, bills have two key players to resign byrd and levitre the G/C. more than likely they'll use the franchise tag on byrd b/c safety salary isn't that high and try to resign levitre. so i wouldn't feel comfortable penciling him in a fa target

as for your draft, don't drink the kool-aid about comparing ansah to jpp. jpp was way more flexible and fluid athlete and had a more natural feel for the game when he was coming out, plus he had more experience b/c he got alot experience playing in joco b4 going to usf vs ansah who was track athlete who's basically been a special teams player prior to this year.

barrett jones is way overrated in my book, he has all the accolades, but their alot of other players that i think will be better pro prospects than him. like warford or

i like bailey, and mathieu low risk, not a fan geathers. i know kiffin likes having interior lineman who get up the field and that not geathers at all. btw we don't have a 7th rounder we traded to mia for ryan cook
You're getting really good at making people feel like ****.