Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone think our personnel match up well with a 4-3, or is it just me? I think it will be just fine. Nowhere near as bad as that mess that we have on the offensive line.

On a side note, I heard Rayfield Wright interviewed on the radio today. I found it interesting that when he originally started in college, he was a free safety. He said that he was 6'7 and weighed 200 lbs. How crazy is that?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Does anyone think our personnel match up well with a 4-3, or is it just me? I think it will be just fine. Nowhere near as bad as that mess that we have on the offensive line.

On a side note, I heard Rayfield Wright interviewed on the radio today. I found it interesting that when he originally started in college, he was a free safety. He said that he was 6'7 and weighed 200 lbs. How crazy is that?
Agreed. This also majorly lessens the effect of Spencer walking. I actually like Tyrone Crawford MUCH more as a 4-3 end than I did as a 3-4 end. In addition having players like Jason Hatcher also gives Kiffin the option of playing big on one end similar to how Seattle's defensive line works.

As far as Wright he was just an out and out beast.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
David Moore@DavidMooreDMN
Secondary coach Jerome Henderson will remain with the Cowboys and be part of Monte Kiffin's staff. Club is high on him.
Excellent! Probably my favorite position coach we have. I hope we also retain Matt Eberflus as I think he did an excellent job juggling our depleted ILB situation last year.

Looks like we are keeping Wade Wilson as QB coach but that makes sense given the connection between him and Garrett.

Rumors still pushing Rod Marinelli as a potential defensive line coach and Houston Nutt as a RB or TE coach.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that's good news. I really liked what I heard/saw from Henderson.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As soon as Marinelli got fired I got really pumped, if we could keep Spencer and bring him in we would really have something going up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
As soon as Marinelli got fired I got really pumped, if we could keep Spencer and bring him in we would really have something going up front.
Former Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is visiting with the Dallas Cowboys on Friday at Valley Ranch.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...alking-cowboys

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Former Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is visiting with the Dallas Cowboys on Friday at Valley Ranch.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...alking-cowboys
POWER UP!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
POWER UP!!!
Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman
Said goodbye to DL coach Brian baker in the hallway .. As expected he is not returning to staff next year, likely replaced by Rod Marinelli

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman
Said goodbye to DL coach Brian baker in the hallway .. As expected he is not returning to staff next year, likely replaced by Rod Marinelli
Love the move to hire Marinelli. Hate to see Baker leave :/
Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, that's good news. I really liked what I heard/saw from Henderson.
I read something the other day that mentioned that Henderson was pretty vocal towards the end of the year about Rob Ryans coverage schemes not being effective or making any sense. Who knows if it's true or if it's heresay....gotta say that I agree with him....our gameplans towards the end of the year left a lot to be desired on the defensive side. Depleted or not...Kiffin isn't going to have to come up with all these different strategies to create pressure or mask coverages. It can be a good thing or bad thing...but Kiffin's scheme imo will work much better for "the next guy up" situation if injuries do occur heavily again. Would love to get Marinelli to coach the DL too. Solid offseason definitely wouldn't have predicted how it's went so far.

Going to put together a big offseason here soon with my thoughts. Been slacking on the posting lately...but have lots of information I wanna get posted up this week. East/West shrine game is on tomorrow...make sure to tune in....have some names that have caught my eye down there.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I read something the other day that mentioned that Henderson was pretty vocal towards the end of the year about Rob Ryans coverage schemes not being effective or making any sense. Who knows if it's true or if it's heresay....gotta say that I agree with him....our gameplans towards the end of the year left a lot to be desired on the defensive side. Depleted or not...Kiffin isn't going to have to come up with all these different strategies to create pressure or mask coverages. It can be a good thing or bad thing...but Kiffin's scheme imo will work much better for "the next guy up" situation if injuries do occur heavily again. Would love to get Marinelli to coach the DL too. Solid offseason definitely wouldn't have predicted how it's went so far.

Going to put together a big offseason here soon with my thoughts. Been slacking on the posting lately...but have lots of information I wanna get posted up this week. East/West shrine game is on tomorrow...make sure to tune in....have some names that have caught my eye down there.
When you do it, create a new thread for it. We can all post our offseason mocks there. I know I have one building up that I haven't completed and I know others have theirs too.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When you do it, create a new thread for it. We can all post our offseason mocks there. I know I have one building up that I haven't completed and I know others have theirs too.
I'll have mine done within the next hour or two just putting the finishing touches and making it forum presentable :)

I'll create it and but the contract information in as a spoiler if you want to delete the other thread once we open the new one.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon
Per @toddarcher, looks like LB coach Matt Eberflus will stay at Valley Ranch. That will make Rob Ryan cuss. That's Rob's right-hand man.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon
Per @toddarcher, looks like LB coach Matt Eberflus will stay at Valley Ranch. That will make Rob Ryan cuss. That's Rob's right-hand man.
Curious decision. Will Kiffin's use of LBs and Eberflus's use of LBs match up?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He made Sean Lee and Bruce Carter play up to potential and made Ernie Sims look like a solid starter. I will sing Eberflus's praises for a while. He has experience with the 4-3 and I think he's on the short-list for position coaches making the move to DC soon.

Quote:
Eberflus has coached in the 3-4 scheme the last four years, but as a defensive coordinator at Missouri, he switched defenses from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3 “Tampa 2” scheme.
I think keeping him makes a lot more sense than bringing in someone like Hazelton from USC. Eberflus already has experience and rapport with the group and should be a natural transition :)
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eberflus has coached a lot of football, spent most of the 90s with Toledo and most of the 2000s as Mizzou's DC where I believe they played a 4-3. He may have to learn some new terminology but football wise there's probably nothing he hasn't seen... I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm just happy we're keeping him from a communication/familiarity standpoint, he's been great for Lee and Carter and they obviously have good chemistry working together. There were/are some spots on the team that needed a shakeup, but that LB meeting room was definitely not one of them. Great job by the team to recognize we have a special thing going there.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-18-2013 at 06:59 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And I love the Marinelli hire, obviously. He's one of the best in the business.

There was another twitter rumor floating around the past day or so that we're targeting Bisaccia for ST coach. Would like that hire for 2 reasons, A) he has a reputation for being intense and demanding perfection, attention to detail kind of guy, and that's always a good thing with ST, and 2) I'm close with his sister and brother-in-law so maybe ill get some tix sent my way lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad they are keeping Eberflus. LB was the strongest position on the team last year, and that's saying a ton considering it was hit hardest by injuries. The scheme change is a slight worry, but he's got experience in the 4-3 and he's shown a good ability to get the best out of his 'backers.

I liked Baker a lot too. The D-line was pretty underrated, but Marinelli on the team along with Kiffin is a steal. I'm anxious to see what he will do here once he's official.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been out of the loop the last couple days, got hit by the flu and it pretty much wrecked me.

-Glad to see Henderson hang around. He is def a players coach and has a way to get the best out of his guys.

-Marinelli is a great hire. He can certainly help Monte get up to speed on how to mold the defense around new offensive philosophies. As an added bonus we face the NFC North next season and he should have insight on defending those teams especially.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Good points on Eferblusherwes LB coach. lol.

Plus, I think the key hire for Kiffin was Marinelli. The DL is where it all starts for Monte and our guys up front will need great coaching for the switch.

I was iffy on Kiffin, but adding Marinelli gives me some assurances.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Report: Rob Ryan leaves St. Louis without contract offer
Interview for defensive coordinator job complete
This has certainly been the longest 5 minutes of all time there Rob.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
This has certainly been the longest 5 minutes of all time there Rob.
While I liked Rob, I feel he's a bit overrated as a DC in the NFL. Just like his brother and father, both blow hards.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Saw BB say today that if Dallas could potentially place the franchise tag on Spencer. Wouldn't it cost quite a bit for us? Not only would it be the second consecutive year with it, but I believe we would have to pay him as a DE. I very well could be mistaken but that would take up an awful lot of our cap room.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
Saw BB say today that if Dallas could potentially place the franchise tag on Spencer. Wouldn't it cost quite a bit for us? Not only would it be the second consecutive year with it, but I believe we would have to pay him as a DE. I very well could be mistaken but that would take up an awful lot of our cap room.
Nice seeing ya post primetime!

Yeah, if we franchised Spencer again it would go up from $8M last year to $10M this year.

Anyone else have thoughts on the new OC talk... ? Mike Tice, Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell... Bill Callahan?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nice seeing ya post primetime!

Yeah, if we franchised Spencer again it would go up from $8M last year to $10M this year.

Anyone else have thoughts on the new OC talk... ? Mike Tice, Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell... Bill Callahan?
Spencer's cap charge for another franchise will be outrageous if we sign him to a long term deal we can have his cap hit for around 3-5 million this year. If we don't plan on keeping him long-term let him walk.

Jerry is insisted on a new OC to call plays but Garrett has resisted and demands he have ZERO head coach experience. Essentially Garrett sounds more concerned with keeping his job than winning. If this fails on offense again and we fire Garrett perhaps Jerry can learn the lesson and get a GM as well. (Wishful thinking).

I've seen New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael and former Tennessee Titan’s offensive consultant Tom Moore floated as potential candidates. Moore was just signed as Asst HC in Arizona though so cross that one off. I still think Paul Chryst makes a ton of sense as I don't think Garrett will view him as an usurper to his throne.