Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Full Salary Cap Information 2013 Season

The Cowboys currently have 45 players under contract for 2013. These are those players and their salary cap numbers.

TOTAL 2013 Salary Cap Charge For 45 Current Contracts - $147,596,344

Offensive Players:

Defensive Players

Special Teams

Additional Cap Hits (Dead money and league penalties)

Future Contracts Signed

Wanted to provide a central location for everyone to utilize for making mock offseason's and play around with the numbers in order to get under the cap and field a workable team.

I'm posted a full mock offseason with some cost cutting moves to get under the cap and field a competitive roster and will edit any potential moves here for re-use later. Enjoy!
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trogdor again.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trogdor again.
Seriously, I've done stuff like this before and it's not fun. +rep Trog!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Incredible work!

Without going into that kind of detail, what does our cap situation look like next season? Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com keeps saying it's pretty dire... at which case, I'm at a loss how it can be corrected going forward.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
Incredible work!

Without going into that kind of detail, what does our cap situation look like next season? Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com keeps saying it's pretty dire... at which case, I'm at a loss how it can be corrected going forward.
It's never dire with the Cowboys. We have *some* issues but we can easily restructure and move pieces around to get more room. Not going to do the entire roster yet as that is an incredibly dull affair but I'll highlight some of the key areas :)

We of course have Anthony Spencer and Tony Romo without terms for next year and that will be addressed during the offseason. I can't imagine Romo getting to the first game of a season without a contract. Spencer I could see either way or being traded depending on how the draft unfolds.

Dan Bailey will be a RFA and pretty much a lock to get a decent designation.

Other free agents of note would be Alex Albright (RFA), Josh Brent (pending trial), Ryan Cook, Jason Hatcher (whom will command a nice contract), and Sean Lee (whom will command a massive contract).

Now as far as 2014 cap we currently have ZERO dollars in dead money there and will have the full cap available as the Voldamara leech will have been removed. Now onto the meat of the conversation!

Biggest cap hits:

D.Ware (16m) - Has a VERY high base salary that can once again be restructured to provide Dallas a bunch of room. Worrying about "paying the piper" are moot in this deal as the original signing bonus is done and all that is left is the restructuring bonuses. Currently he has ONLY 9.5 million of guarantees from 2014 onwards. Dallas can restructure him again and push his 12.25m base salary off into the end of the deal and suffer zero long-term effects.

Doug Free (11m) - I don't think he makes it past June 1st without agreeing to slash his salary to veteran minimum. If Dallas cuts him Post-June 1st he'll count as 4.175m against the 2013 cap (meaning we save almost 3 million) and 5.6m against the 2014 cap. Essentially it will give us room this year and keep the Voldamara penalty amount out of our hands. IF we keep him on the roster this season and choose to deal with him next year cutting him outright would cost 6m which is much less than his salary of 8 million. So Free is guaranteed to be out the door it's just a matter of 2013 June-1st or 2014.

Brandon Carr (12.2m) - Same as Ware. Expect a restructure which will cut his cap number in half while keeping the guarantees in the contract about equal to his base salaries in the later years.

Jay Ratliff (8.2m) - His contract pretty much keeps him here no matter what in 2014. Dallas has two options they can not touch the contract and be free to cut him with savings in 2015 OR they can restructure his base salary which would add about 1 million to future hits and still break even cutting him in 2016 if they deemed necessary.

Miles Austin (8.2m) - Miles is in the same boat as Ratliff down to a T. They can either not touch the contract and be free to cut their losses in 2015. Even if they restructure him it will be a break-even in 2016 should they decide to release him.

So as you can see even with our biggest cap hitters all of them are easy to restructure and push the cap number down without drowning ourselves later. It is easy for pundits to point and claim we are going to be in cap hell but analyzing the contracts tells a different story.

The key to the future with every NFL team is to hit on your draft picks. The rookie wage scale has made hitting on picks all the more necessary. Having starters making pennies allows you to not overpay on the free agent market.

Dallas can also free up room with cuts prime targets provided they don't match performance would be Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau.

Sorry I went into a lot more detail than I had planned but I hope this answers your question. As far as an overall number prior to restructuring it's tough to garner a view without aggregating everything which I haven't done yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see us cut Doug Free post-June 1st and not use a portion of the cap space saved to carryover to fully cancel out his cap hit next season.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
It's never dire with the Cowboys. We have *some* issues but we can easily restructure and move pieces around to get more room. Not going to do the entire roster yet as that is an incredibly dull affair but I'll highlight some of the key areas :)

We of course have Anthony Spencer and Tony Romo without terms for next year and that will be addressed during the offseason. I can't imagine Romo getting to the first game of a season without a contract. Spencer I could see either way or being traded depending on how the draft unfolds.

Dan Bailey will be a RFA and pretty much a lock to get a decent designation.

Other free agents of note would be Alex Albright (RFA), Josh Brent (pending trial), Ryan Cook, Jason Hatcher (whom will command a nice contract), and Sean Lee (whom will command a massive contract).

Now as far as 2014 cap we currently have ZERO dollars in dead money there and will have the full cap available as the Voldamara leech will have been removed. Now onto the meat of the conversation!

Biggest cap hits:

D.Ware (16m) - Has a VERY high base salary that can once again be restructured to provide Dallas a bunch of room. Worrying about "paying the piper" are moot in this deal as the original signing bonus is done and all that is left is the restructuring bonuses. Currently he has ONLY 9.5 million of guarantees from 2014 onwards. Dallas can restructure him again and push his 12.25m base salary off into the end of the deal and suffer zero long-term effects.

Doug Free (11m) - I don't think he makes it past June 1st without agreeing to slash his salary to veteran minimum. If Dallas cuts him Post-June 1st he'll count as 4.175m against the 2013 cap (meaning we save almost 3 million) and 5.6m against the 2014 cap. Essentially it will give us room this year and keep the Voldamara penalty amount out of our hands. IF we keep him on the roster this season and choose to deal with him next year cutting him outright would cost 6m which is much less than his salary of 8 million. So Free is guaranteed to be out the door it's just a matter of 2013 June-1st or 2014.

Brandon Carr (12.2m) - Same as Ware. Expect a restructure which will cut his cap number in half while keeping the guarantees in the contract about equal to his base salaries in the later years.

Jay Ratliff (8.2m) - His contract pretty much keeps him here no matter what in 2014. Dallas has two options they can not touch the contract and be free to cut him with savings in 2015 OR they can restructure his base salary which would add about 1 million to future hits and still break even cutting him in 2016 if they deemed necessary.

Miles Austin (8.2m) - Miles is in the same boat as Ratliff down to a T. They can either not touch the contract and be free to cut their losses in 2015. Even if they restructure him it will be a break-even in 2016 should they decide to release him.

So as you can see even with our biggest cap hitters all of them are easy to restructure and push the cap number down without drowning ourselves later. It is easy for pundits to point and claim we are going to be in cap hell but analyzing the contracts tells a different story.

The key to the future with every NFL team is to hit on your draft picks. The rookie wage scale has made hitting on picks all the more necessary. Having starters making pennies allows you to not overpay on the free agent market.

Dallas can also free up room with cuts prime targets provided they don't match performance would be Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau.

Sorry I went into a lot more detail than I had planned but I hope this answers your question. As far as an overall number prior to restructuring it's tough to garner a view without aggregating everything which I haven't done yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see us cut Doug Free post-June 1st and not use a portion of the cap space saved to carryover to fully cancel out his cap hit next season.
Wow. Appreciate the information! How much room do we need to open up to sign our draft picks for this season?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
Wow. Appreciate the information! How much room do we need to open up to sign our draft picks for this season?
It is between 3m and 6m depending on where you are selecting. Since we are near the middle and without any extra picks early I'd say around 4 million.

Cutting Free and potentially needing to make another roster move are possibilities. If we take a fullback we are confident in I wouldn't be shocked to see Vickers get cut for his 2 million in savings.

I imagine we'll have a deal in place with Romo prior to needing to sign our rookie class which renders the need for cap space moot.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
It is between 3m and 6m depending on where you are selecting. Since we are near the middle and without any extra picks early I'd say around 4 million.

Cutting Free and potentially needing to make another roster move are possibilities. If we take a fullback we are confident in I wouldn't be shocked to see Vickers get cut for his 2 million in savings.

I imagine we'll have a deal in place with Romo prior to needing to sign our rookie class which renders the need for cap space moot.
You expecting the same for Spencer? Ideally I think you could trade him for top picks, but the market value for edge rushers seems so low this year, if you could leverage that into a long term deal then I think you almost have too. Especially since you don't have any other edge rushers aside from Ware you can trust in.