Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I just bought this guitar for my son who is just learning how to play(the black one of course lol). Its not expensive, great quality all around. Plus it suits a wide variety of music styles.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Haha no joke, this guitar is very high on my list as well. I'd get the Pelham Blue, though!

My issue with buying a cheap guitar and learning on it is, knowing myself, if I don't buy an item I respect and actively want to engage with, I'll just drop it. An $150 dollar Squire just won't keep me interested, but a beautiful telecaster might. That Les Paul is awesome too. I also heard, from a very reliable source, that at this point the difference between Gibson/Epiphone is negligible unless you're a real stickler for "Made in the USA". Apparently some of the Epiphone Les Paul's are amazing.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...tm#Reviews-tab

I'm damn close to buying that, though. Humbuckers on the tele would let me play a wide range of music, plus I love me the rosewood neck and the candy apple red.

I was also recommended the Thinline Telecasters. Anyone wanna walk me through the sound difference on the Blacktop vs the hollow body?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Last edited by A Perfect Score : 01-23-2013 at 09:32 AM.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
lol well thats what Im sayin, this thing is Les Paul quality all around for only $650. And if the boy doesnt follow through with playing, well then I just got me another Les Paul. lol
You are a smart, smart man.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even play guitar/bass and I want a Rick Toone custom...

http://www.ricktoone.com/
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't even play guitar/bass and I want a Rick Toone custom...

http://www.ricktoone.com/
I shouldn't have clicked that link, all I did was see the things I want but can't have, at least not for a long, long time anyway, lol.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

love the wood grain, hate the shapes

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody is answering meeeeeeeeeeeee I need help picking a first guitar!
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
1funguy
Rookie

1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been playing guitar for 30+ yrs., also picked up dobro recently & sing. We have a garage band, play most Sat. night's for fun & out occasionally - mainly parties.

Guitars? Acoustic I have a Takamine, Washburn, & a Seagull. Electric? First electric was a Gibson Challenger II which I still have but seldom play. Planning to put in Seymour Duncan p/u's & set up for playing slide. Fender Strat Plus that came with Lace Sensor p/u's, switched out for Texas Specials. My baby is a PRS Custom 24, raspberry with a flame maple "10" top. All played through Fender Twin Reverb & various pedals - I switch up every so often just to experiment. Right now I'm using an MXR wah, MXR distortion, QTron envelope filter, & a BOSS digital delay.

Just bought a Fishman Loudbox mini amp to go with new guitar that I hope to win tomorrow on eBay - Michael Kelly Hybrid Special acoustic/electric.

After playing over 14 yrs. I had an accident & amputated my left index (fret hand) finger to the first joint. Slowed me down a bit but, IMO, made me learn to be a better player overall. Giving it up just wasn't an option.

Play mostly blues/classic rock but we venture off into other genres occasionally. Acoustic I play more folk & bluegrass.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
1funguy
Rookie

1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Start with an acoustic. I'd recommend the lower end Martin's, Yamaha, Alvarez, Dean, Seagull, or perhaps Ibanez. You can get something new that will be a good beginning axe in the $300 range, or go used & get a bit more guitar for the same money. If you go used, be careful & have someone experienced check it out first if at all possible.

Musician's Friend is a good online place to shop. Good prices/products/service.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
love the wood grain, hate the shapes
I like some of the shapes, and you can tell with the design it makes for easier playing (at least the Orchid Bass). But the wood grains absolutely blow me away, really incredible. If I'd ever have the money to blow on that Bass I'd want the Black Dove Swamp Ash species and need a slight adjustment to the shape to fit me best though.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
If I knew more, personally, about guitars I'd be on top of it, but all I can go by is what I've heard from other people, the little I know about bass (usually you'll find quality transfers over, at least) manufacturers, and as I'm about to talk about, a little tidbit of a local company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funguy View Post
Start with an acoustic. I'd recommend the lower end Martin's, Yamaha, Alvarez, Dean, Seagull, or perhaps Ibanez. You can get something new that will be a good beginning axe in the $300 range, or go used & get a bit more guitar for the same money. If you go used, be careful & have someone experienced check it out first if at all possible.

Musician's Friend is a good online place to shop. Good prices/products/service.
I can't comment on Dean, Alvarez, or Yamaha, personally, but the acoustic/ electric Ibanez bass I have is decent for the price I paid ($180) but I'm looking for something with better sustain/easier portability/ and better electronics now that I'm going to be playing it in front of people more, and not just learning it, so I'd imagine a lower end Ibanez guitar will serve you similarly.

Martin Guitars are usually known as good quality, and are actually made very close to my friend's house. But I've met a woman who works there who has flat out said that they have gone downhill in quality over the years (many guitar companies have). Apparently they have 4 quality control people to inspect the guitars once they are completed and two of them will pass almost anything through. The other two are more critical and are still trying to keep the Martin name in good standing, so its almost a 50/50 for Martins, no matter what the model, that they'll be what you're looking for or not anymore.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

APS if you buy a Les Paul for your first guitar you are an ar tard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I've been doing some preliminary work looking into buying a new bass, and with my budget now I'm kind of restricted, but I'm looking for some opinions. My price range is $550 and less, and I have a few in mind but if anyone has any other recommendations for me to look into, I'm definitely down to check them out, I am not really educated on the different ins and outs of the different instrument companies yet. Either way I'm going to be going in to play them first before I make a purchase, but I'm also just looking for some input from people who know more than I.

I'm looking at an Epiphone Thunderbird 4 string (I'm only looking for a 4 string), which is basically a Gibson knockoff of the same name. Apparently there is a stigma with Epiphone about their quality dropping off real drastically, but I've got an Epiphone banjo that has served me well, so I'm willing to give them another shot if it ends up being the best option for me. As I said, I'm still in the preliminary aspect of my search, but here's a little more info from Amazon, for those who care to check it out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0002CZU9C

Another I'm looking at is a Peavey Grind 4 string. I really like the look of it outside of the big strap horn on it, but if it plays nice and it works like I want I can easily overlook it. Its got a solid neck/body as well, which I like, and preferably would want to have as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004LRP558

Another I'm looking at is a Rogue LX400, its a lot cheaper and from what I've read more of a starter bass anyway, but its the best price of all the ones I'm looking at. I'm not really sure if I'm even willing to spend the time to do more research on it honestly, and if I find more bad reviews of it I may just have to get it off my list.

Then there are three different models of Schecter Basses that I like for different reasons, and from what I've read, they are the best value of what I want in my price range. I haven't heard of them before I started looking so if anyone has any input on them, that'd be appreciated, because so far, from what I've been able to find, it's looking like I'm going to be choosing from one of the Schecters.

The first one is the Diamond J, its the cheapest in price of the Schecters. I like the style of it, though I'm not really sure .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001NMT794

Another Schecter I'm looking at is the Raiden, which honestly if I had to pick a front runner of this whole group without playing them, this would be the one. I like the style of it more than al the other, think it'd look real sweet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0033AHURK

The last Schecter is the Stilleto Custom. Its the most expensive of all these basses, but I like the combination style and the hardware on it the most.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0002E1HG0

Once again, open to other options and thanks to anyone who can help out.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
APS if you buy a Les Paul for your first guitar you are an ar tard.
I guess it's a good thing I bought a telecaster then! Muahahaha
Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I'm also looking at a couple different models of Ibanez. The more I've looked into what will work for me, the more I'm leaning in the direction of Ibanez, Fender, and a few others. As I've researched more into it I've found I can find some quality electric basses for fairly reasonable prices. Ideally, knowing mor what I know about what I can get from some of the basses I'm looking at, I'm realizing I don't have to really spend too too much, and realistically I can get a good bass and a new, high quality amp for $550 or less.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM    (permalink
1funguy
Rookie

Just won this on eBay - should be receiving in about a week.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...FQ69GQ9zDPaAHw
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Wooo! Bought my guitar today. If anyone has any excellent online resources to actually learn how to play one of these things, let me know.
Quote:
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wooo! Bought my guitar today. If anyone has any excellent online resources to actually learn how to play one of these things, let me know.
Really the only two sites I use but I had a pretty good musical background before I started. Youtube should help you get started though.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

http://www.tunemybass.com/

Good luck with your musical endeavors APS!! We can form a band when you move here!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And as a guy who played in a band for a long time, I find this hilarious...

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I bought a new bass amp over the weekend, this little monster

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail...roductI D=225

The one I had been using is just a small practice amp, and sounds like **** if you even try to plug it up to a PA system, so I did some research and got this. I can use it for practice as well as for playing out, hooking it up to the PA or not, and it doesn't sound like ****, at least it shouldn't, lol.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I got the amp for a pretty good bargain, and should be able to afford a better bass if I feel like it, but I found a bass by Musicman (Sterling by Musicman, to be specific) that I really like that is only about 280 bucks that I may end up getting (Its at least in my top group that I'll test out). It is models after the Stingray, and is available in a beautiful Satin Walnut finish. link if anyone cares to check it out: http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Musi...atin/MM-RAY4WS

I like the style and looks of it much more than any of them, just looks like it fits me. Like the others I'm looking at (some Ibanez's- I've since dumped the Schecters) they are considered good quality for the price. I've heard many people characterize this bass as a Stingray with cheaper electric components, but for ~$1,000 less, I wouldn't complain. Plus none of those are available in this beautiful finish.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I love this device. So much. An excellent, excellent purchase.
Quote:
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I love this device. So much. An excellent, excellent purchase.
You use the picks I do, Tortex 0.88

I recognize them anywhere. lol

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had a friend's band play at my birthday party and I made a surprise appearance and played "Buddy Holly" with them. So. Much. Fun.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought I'd take the chance that one of you guys is blessed with tremendous wealth or perhaps are an heir to the Roland assets....

It's a dream of mine to have this. Doubt I'll ever afford it but as a drummer, the convenience and versatility is a thing of beauty. Due to neighbors and noise ordinances, I haven't been able to practice my kit regularly for almost 4 years. I truly need this...

Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just recorded this cover of White Dress by Parachute quick, kinda to see if I should spend more time trying to cover it. Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/maurerranger/...arachute-cover