Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Collins is 2 years older. He won't bulk up to 250ish. Sitting at about 230. Von Miller type OLB.

Travis Long, Eric Martin, David Bass among with Chase Thomas should be looked at if we don't select OLB in the first round.

About QB situation. What the hell can we do about it? Mornhinweg stays for one season or 3 years. I think I am going to pass on qb this year.

Collins is heavier than Thomas.

Collins must be a good lean while Thomas is a balloon guy.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB
1. Geno Smith - He has an awfully long wind-up. That's about all I hate about him though. Really, he just reminds me of Byron Leftwich in general, which isn't the worst thing, considering this QB class.
2. Zac Dysert - I am going to hold it against him that his record was so bad. His supporting cast was awful, but a winner probably would have made them a little better. He's got a little bit of everything though. Not sure how he is on the deep ball. He seems to have marginal arm strength. But beyond that, he seems to be a very poor man's Big Ben. Who would that be? Tarvaris?
3. Ryan Nassib - He makes some really awful throws, but I think he has all the tools there. He would take quite a while to make good, though.

RB
1. Mike Gillislee - He has it all. I don't trust Florida players by and large to stay healthy, but with pretty much every RB in this class appearing as an injury risk to me, I can't hold that against him. He has great patience, explosiveness, decisiveness, and vision. His blocking ability might be the best of all the backs in the class. Very natural hands. He's physical when he has to be and has the speed to get away from anyone. Really, he almost seems like Percy Harvin the RB. But he reminds me a lot of a smaller Arian Foster (which, probably not coincidentally, is his favorite RB).
2. Ray Graham - I love him. He's from New Jersey, too. Great moves in the box. He might have the best vision of any of them. He just seems to know something everyone else doesn't. Great hands and the ability to break away. Could be a better blocker, but he tries, and you can't expect much from someone that small. Needs to hang onto the ball, too. But I like his approach to the game.
3. Gio Bernard - I only know 3 other Gio's in my life: one is very successful, one is doing well, and the other was a sweet boss in Pokemon. So I think he will be good as well. He's had a slew of injuries, but of the faster backs, he's just so much better, IMO, than the rest, that I have to put him here. Great vision, quick, good hands, but could be a better blocker.

WR
1. DeAndre Hopkins - Great hands and solid route-running. I can't tell how fast he actually is, but he seems reasonably quick.
2. Stedman Bailey - Runs good routes, has good hands, quick, and just always seems to be open. Very smart receiver.
3. Quinton Patton - Great route-runner, nice hands, and pretty quick. Perfect for the WCO.

TE
1. Zach Ertz - Reminds me of Jason Witten. Very fierce blocker with solid athleticism and pretty good hands. I think he's a much better prospect than Fleener was.
2. Gavin Escobar - He can stretch the field a little. Good athleticism and could be a very nice red-zone threat.
3. Travis Kelce - He can do a little bit of everything. He's no world-beater, but he could be in the same breath as the Owen Daniels' of the world. Not the greatest of blockers, but very reliable hands.

OT
1. Luke Joeckel - All-Pro caliber LT. But that's why we won't be able to get him.
2. Eric Fisher - Very athletic, nimble guy. For the WCO, his pass protection would serve to be top-notch.
3. Lane Johnson - Just another good one from Oklahoma.

OG
1. Jonathan Cooper - Incredible athlete for his size. He isn't perfect, but he's great in the run game. He really drives guys back. Pass pro could use some work, but he isn't bad by any means. He has all the tools to be special.
2. Chance Warmack - I think he's very overrated. I don't ever remember an Alabama lineman being good, and I think he just falls right in line with them. He isn't bad, but he's just sooo fat and while marginally athletic, he puts himself out of place a lot. He's just a big guy. But I could see him being passable more often than not.
3. Larry Warford - I had Pugh here off a guess, but I will just go back to what I originally believed. To me, he looked almost as good as Warmack. He's very athletic for his size. He actually reminds me a lot of Brandon Moore.

DE
1. Star Lotulelei - Incredible athlete. Very quick and good with his hands. Pretty smart, too.
2. Sheldon Richardson - Also very quick. Much more in the mold of the J.J. Watt sort of 3-4 DE.
3. Ezekiel Ansah - Great athlete, great motor, and he's only getting better.

OLB
1. Alex Okafor - Okay, I was very mistaken. For some reason, I was of the belief Okafor didn't have the desirable body and hips to be a 3-4 OLB, but then I see him standing up for the half the plays on defense. So I was wrong. He isn't great against the run and he'd be passable against the pass (punny), but he would make his money as a pass rusher, which is what we need. He's fierce, he's quick off the line, he's a playmaker, and he's relentless. And, he's been tearing it up in the post-season here. Really, considering where we're at and thinking about what could have the greatest impact on our team, he should probably be our first round selection.
2. Damontre Moore - What sets him apart is how great he is against the run. More in the Woodley mold of OLBs, but he isn't quite the same pass rusher. He's a decent pass rusher, but he's not especially explosive and doesn't have the best of instincts. But he has a good motor and plays his part well. Pretty much Calvin Pace.
3. Jamie Collins - Great motor, quick off the snap, former QB, terrific in coverage. I love all that he did for that program and how highly they speak of him. He could be a terror off the edge.

ILB
1. Kevin Minter - Incredible tackler that fights through traffic well. He'd just be a solid ILB.
2. Greg Blair - Brother of Pitt great DeJuan Blair. Very athletic, jack-of-all-trades.
3. A.J. Klein - Just a monster in the middle. Great tackler.

CB
1. Dee Milliner - Best CB in the draft. He can do a little bit of everything. He's quick, great instincts, and physical. Everything I'd want in a CB.
2. Micah Hyde - Scott has him as a Safety. I'm not sure why. He has incredible ball skills and he's pretty quick. A good, solid cover corner.
3. Jordan Poyer - Quick with great instincts. Maybe more of a nickel but I think he could be a weakside corner.

S
1. Duke Williams - Fastest Safety in the draft. Good in coverage and has a little bit of everything. He runs himself out of plays on occasion, though.
2. D.J. Swearinger - Big thumper, enforcer type. He's passable in coverage, but he would make his money in the box.
3. Cooper Taylor - Big, but rangy and could be great covering those TEs we'll have to deal with for the next decade.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-22-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: OG/OLB change
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not that this is a position of need, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of good, serviceable cornerbacks come out of this class. If they spent a late round pick on one, I wouldn't hate it. RB, WR, TE, and CB seem to have the most depth. If we don't address all three of those offensive positions, it would be a shame.

...But on that note, I see from Scott's notes that it mentions the Jets looking at Stepfan Taylor. Many other sources say the Jets had a lot of people talking to him as well. That would be an average pick. He just doesn't have that breakaway speed, but he has all the necessary tools to play in the WCO and if they look at his physical stature, they might fall in love. He actually reminds me a lot of Thomas Jones in every way imaginable. And while that wouldn't be a bad pick, I think there are better guys you can get to really put a defense on their heels, rather than having a guy to get quiet 1,000-yard seasons every year. He's nothing more than an average back in my eyes and certainly not dynamic... like Johnathan Franklin, who has also received some praise. I just worry that guys like him, Ellington, and Randle benefited too much from the wide-open read option attacks they were a part of and might not be quite what they're billed up as. But, here's hoping he's good, and if he is, that he's good on the Jets.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-22-2013 at 09:38 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stepfan Taylor is a old school RB so he won't fit in the system Rex Ryan wants to have. However, Jets will need a good run game to control a game. Taylor can go out and catch some football. Maybe line him up at FB with dynamic RB in the backfield at the same time.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I won't pay any attention to Senior Bowl practices until Wednesday or Thursday but I am kind of disappointed in Ryan Nassib's mechanic that does not allow him to throw a good deep bomb. 10 hand size and strong arm? What a waste.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

2nd round for LG?

Brian Winters, Dallas Green, Kyle Long, or Larry Warfold.

I think I rather to sign Matt Slauson and draft another stud skill prospect in 2nd.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Walter Stewart is cleared for football. Him and D.J. Hayden would be greater stories if they become starting calibers for Jets.

I kind of wish Jets did not draft Quinton Coples last year so Datone Jones could be ours this year. Damn.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I won't pay any attention to Senior Bowl practices until Wednesday or Thursday but I am kind of disappointed in Ryan Nassib's mechanic that does not allow him to throw a good deep bomb. 10 hand size and strong arm? What a waste.
Nassib looks blah, I hope the bills take him. Zac Dysert looks almost undraftable, I don't see what the hype is with him. Glennon looks like Peyton manning next to those guys lol
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Wasn't feeling any of the qbs at the senior bowl but I had no expectations for any of them anyway. But I agree Glennon is at least tolerable the other guys look horrible
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I hear we're interested in Tyrann Mathieu. Wouldn't mind picking him up in the 4th or 5th round and seeing what he can do. Hes got play making potential and always seems to be around the ball
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they're showing interest in a lot of people at this point. Mathieu would make sense in the mid-late rounds as a third or fourth corner depending on whether or not they move anyone and maybe playing some safety.

Saw they expressed interest in Denard Robinson too. Would prefer him as a running back to as a receiver and even then I'm concerned he won't offer much as a pass blocker.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I would like to believe this is them just doing their "due diligence". Every prospect I've seen them tied to has, in my mind, huge question marks. I would like to believe they're not drafting any of them.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Senior Bowl participants are good for first 3 rounds and Jets have 3 picks during this span so I believe Jets will get at least 1 of them.

If Jets let Slauson walk then WVA Madsen or California Schwenke should be a Jet for a right pick. Granted, both are struggling as G but I willingly let either start RG. Mangold has dealing with various injuries so I would like to have another solid center on the roster.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with you Yoto, would be nice to have a guard who can swing to play center on the roster. Travis Frederick, maybe.

Apparently the Jets spent a ton of time with Glennon at the Senior Bowl. Don't know why they'd let that get out if they were actually interested, though.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I am not sure about Glennon playing WCO but is it possible that Mornhinweg will modify WCO to WCO spread?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Ryan Nassib is kind of reminding me of Drew Brees. He needs to fix his throwing mechanic. Loosening arm action may help him throw better football. If all of his arm strength comes from rigid muscle pressure then he is no good to me.

Since Jets may seek for another veteran qb to compete with Mark Sanchez who obviously will stay with us, I would gamble on Ryan Nassib for right value to replace Greg McElroy on the qb depth.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ryan Nassib is kind of reminding me of Drew Brees. He needs to fix his throwing mechanic. Loosening arm action may help him throw better football. If all of his arm strength comes from rigid muscle pressure then he is no good to me.

Since Jets may seek for another veteran qb to compete with Mark Sanchez who obviously will stay with us, I would gamble on Ryan Nassib for right value to replace Greg McElroy on the qb depth.
Ugh. What in the world even comes close to drew Brees about Ryan Nassib? Watching him at senior bowl practice next to Glennon he looks horrific. I wouldn't take him before round 4, he's way overhyped and overrated.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I don't see it with Nassib either. Far from my favorite QB option. Part of me wouldn't mind if they waited until next year and just shored up the fronts on both sides of the ball.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Since Matt Barkley knows WCO well, he could be a good use as 2nd round pick. I think Mayock and co will talk about him a lot during the combine week.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bradway
“We’re going to discuss exactly what they want in their players and it may be a little bit different than what we’ve had before and that will give use direction heading into the draft and also free agency. But we’re definitely going to look to add some playmakers to our offense,” Bradway told me.

“We need to generate offense — offense is what the league is about now. We have some young guys that have to develop and they can’t fail, and we’re going hard to get those kids developed. But we’re going to be a team — going forward — that is going to look to the draft and supplement in free agency. We have to keep our eye on those explosive playmakers, guys that get chunks of yards and score points.”
I mean, this was probably obvious, but it's good to see things will mainly go through the draft (rather than free agency like before) and that we're really looking to get playmakers on offense. So expect players to be drafted at virtually every hole on offense we currently have.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, I liked that quote. Makes me wonder if they're seriously interested in upgrading skill spots. Still think Cordarrelle Patterson is a sleeper to go at #9.

Don't know if there are enough draft picks to choose players at virtually every hole the Jets currently have on offense lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I mean, this was probably obvious, but it's good to see things will mainly go through the draft (rather than free agency like before) and that we're really looking to get playmakers on offense. So expect players to be drafted at virtually every hole on offense we currently have.

well, playmakers should be coming from draft not free agency. Patterson and Hopkins are ideal for a 1st round pick.

So are Bailey, Patton, Wheaton, Dobson, few players for 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yeah, I liked that quote. Makes me wonder if they're seriously interested in upgrading skill spots. Still think Cordarrelle Patterson is a sleeper to go at #9.

Don't know if there are enough draft picks to choose players at virtually every hole the Jets currently have on offense lol.
So are we already giving up on Hill then? Don't see how we can use a 1st round pick on a WR when we have holes at every other position but have 2 promising young WRs in Kerley and Hill, and a guy we can't cut until 2014 pretty much. Sooo many holes at other spots, we need to accumulate as many picks as possible. If we can get 49ers 1st and 2nd for Revis let's do it to it, or jags/chiefs 2nd and 3rd would effectively be the same thing
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Kerley is a slot WR, Hill is far from a sure thing and not a WCO fit, the Jets can easily cut Holmes now, and should be looking to build a long-term team not a team for 2013 anyway. The offense flat out lacks playmakers, period. Obviously there is no QB but unless they fall in love with a guy that's not an option at 9. No running backs or tight ends worth the pick, would be surprised to see a guard, looks like they're running with Howard next year so that eliminates tackle.

To me, the offense needs someone defenses have to gameplan to stop. A gamebreaker. Patterson is the most obvious option for that in the draft right now IMO. I'm sure we'll see other guys end up being studs later in the league, but nobody else who's a realistic option at 9 fits that mold IMO. Plus as a big guy who's dynamic with the ball in his hands he's a perfect WCO fit and a great complement to Hill long-term.

Now I don't think they have to draft him, but I absolutely think he should be in the mix. It's pretty much the only offensive pick that makes sense if you don't think there's a QB worth taking at 9. Other than that you're looking at what, whichever pass rusher is left? What if they don't like their options there after a few guys come off the board? All the guys who will be there at 9 have warts anyway and the offense is way worse than the defense. Who else, Kenny Vaccaro or is it just pass rusher or bust? I just think people have to be open minded in terms of the draft and 2013 needs are basically irrelevant anyway because the 2013 Jets are probably going to be bad. They have to think long-term.

I see the benefits to trading Revis too, but I wouldn't be so quick to do it.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Honestly I'm starting to lean towards Chance Warmack at 9. Would fill a big need and since the top 10 is weak as hell why not take a guard? Not buying into the anti-Damontre hype either, the guy is a beast and if he's there at 9 the Jets have got to take him.

I also don't think releasing Santonio is 'easy' like you're making it sound. Pretty sure we'd take an enormous cap hit if we cut him, more than what his salary is worth. Might as well keep him for 2013 and cut him next year when the hit isn't anywhere near as astronomical.