Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFL All-Time Teams, Decade by Decade

So, I like making All-Time teams. I'm broken in the head enough to obsess over them. We're talking mildly creepy levels of obsession here.

Okay, I'm probably exaggerating that level of commitment, but enough of my mental issues. This thread will basically be my attempts to create a series of All-Time teams during each and every decade of the NFL's existence.

Here are a few points to consider.

-I'm going to make a team for each decade, simply because both the athletic standards and playcalling innovations changed too frequently to allow for much decade integration, so I can't really classify player pools into 'Eras' like I initially wanted to.
-Yes, I am well aware that the Hall of Fame, or at least a committee from it, has already made their own all-decade teams. This isn't quite the same, since the rosters selected will be as often as possible based not purely on merit, but by an ability to integrate into a solid unit with as little griping over PT or locker room feuds as humanly possible. In short, I'm building a football squad that has the best chance of winning a game if the planet depended on it. (Basically playing for the survival of the planet is the ultimate Gut-Check for any athlete and separates the winners from the folders)
-Players are selected upon "Wine Cellar" rules, a term coined by Bill Simmons when he created his all-time NBA lineup. Basically it means A specific player will likely be different from one particular year to another. For instance, Red Grange in 1925 was a dynamo at Halfback, all but unstoppable. But Red Grange anytime after 1927 when he suffered a horrific injury will simply be a run-of-the-mill Halfback and not worth a selection, unless you like a reserve defensive back, which he was quite good at. So, select a player, then select the year that player participated. That's Wine Cellar rules.
-Everybody else is perfectly free to come up with their own lists, or critique others. Even my own. (Yes, you have that freedom anyway, but I'm not going to boil over with hatred if you critique me. As far as I'm concerned, any enlightenment can only help my understanding).

I am going to start off with the 1920's, and while my roster is nowhere near complete there, I would like to express one major concern that comes to mind when going over this decade.

Coaches and their Offensive Formations.
http://www.hickoksports.com/history/...ations01.shtml

That page gives you a real good detail, but to summarize the problems;

-The standard Single Wing offense thrived on imbalanced lines and wasn't an ideal passing formation, not good for a balanced offense (nevermind the passing rules which were just a step up form Rugby, or the fatter ball).
-George Halas was about the only one to use the T-Formation exclusively, which needed God-Like Halfbacks to be effective, since everyone was tightly packed on the line and the backfield was packed in the center.
-Curly Lambeau was the only one to use the Notre Dame Box, which was a properly balanced Single Wing that used deception and switched players around on the backfield. Better for balancing.
-Any team that had Ernie Nevers used the Double-Wing, which involved a lot of potential trickery but only used the Fullback as the primary runner and passer. A nice wrinkle to have, but nobody else used it.

It actually gets worse, since teams really only had one coach, and while you could get away with multiple coaches, who has the overall command? Some coaches just plain hated each other, like Halas and Lambeau, which makes a Notre Dame/T-Formation hybrid nearly impossible. Others also doubled as players, like Guy Chamberlin and Jimmy Conzelman, which raises concerns about the pecking order in the lineup.

...I'd better stop this here before my rambling actually gets worse. I await any imput you may have and I'll have this first roster ready soon.
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote