Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
This happened before Yahoo writer suggested Seahawks cutting Flynn would be likely.
You needed some bozo from yahoo to tell you that the Seahawks won't keep a backup qb for a 9 mil a year contract? Lol

News flash: Alex smith is likely to get cut too =]
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
You needed some bozo from yahoo to tell you that the Seahawks won't keep a backup qb for a 9 mil a year contract? Lol

News flash: Alex smith is likely to get cut too =]

Jets won't pay Flynn 9m per season. Flynn had SB so minus 2m per season next two years. 5.25m and 6.25m if traded. I can see Jets could make a trade for him without any hitch.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jets won't pay Flynn 9m per season. Flynn had SB so minus 2m per season next two years. 5.25m and 6.25m if traded. I can see Jets could make a trade for him without any hitch.
Wonderful so half our team is going to be UDFAs then. Considering our talent evaluation we'll be in last place. See you in 2014! Lol

How Flynn is even worth a penny when Joe Philbin and the Dolphins didn't want him is beyond me. That spoke volumes about his ability to me, Philbin would know him better than anyone. Wasn't surprised at all that he didn't win the starting job in Seattle. Noooooo thank you. Not even for veterans minimum

Last edited by Robcards : 01-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not sure we'd be able to sign him for cheap but considering we'll only have 9 mil of cap space to work with after making extensive cuts to players like pace Scott and Eric smith we'll have so many positions to fill with that 9 mil it just makes absolutely no sense to use 2/3rds of it on a qb who couldn't win a starting job over a 3rd rounder in preseason last year. I would be absolutely irate if we took on his contract, we need to trim the fat not eat more.
From what we get through the media and the like, cap space can be a bit misconstrued. It really isn't as simple as it's made to look and there are many ways to work around it. I wouldn't be opposed to signing some other veteran for much less, but I'm just saying that if they did believe he could be the starter, then the contract should be the least of their worries.

Also, you're spinning his pre-season job loss to Wilson a little negatively. Russell Wilson, if not for his size, may have been a top-five pick. And, by all accounts, he was phenomenal this year. Losing your job to him isn't necessarily the most embarrassing thing in the world. Plus, who's even to say Flynn wouldn't have performed better? He might have gotten them further in the playoffs, for all we know. He was never actually given the chance to perform during the regular season.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
From what we get through the media and the like, cap space can be a bit misconstrued. It really isn't as simple as it's made to look and there are many ways to work around it. I wouldn't be opposed to signing some other veteran for much less, but I'm just saying that if they did believe he could be the starter, then the contract should be the least of their worries.

Also, you're spinning his pre-season job loss to Wilson a little negatively. Russell Wilson, if not for his size, may have been a top-five pick. And, by all accounts, he was phenomenal this year. Losing your job to him isn't necessarily the most embarrassing thing in the world. Plus, who's even to say Flynn wouldn't have performed better? He might have gotten them further in the playoffs, for all we know. He was never actually given the chance to perform during the regular season.

Great so you think Matt Flynn is an elite qb with absolutely nothing to base that on. I'm not going to argue with you you're clearly lost in the clouds. Keep dreaming.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Great so you think Matt Flynn is an elite qb with absolutely nothing to base that on. I'm not going to argue with you you're clearly lost in the clouds. Keep dreaming.

He talked about qb stability and you talked about QB elitism. Is it the same thing?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
He talked about qb stability and you talked about QB elitism. Is it the same thing?
Did you miss the part about him thinking the Seahawks would have went further in the playoffs with Flynn? How is that qb stability that's him saying Flynn is an elite qb basically
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we have something special in Idzik. I like the character that I perceive. I like his approach to how things are going to be done, about the constant competition, the collaborative effort, and what appears what will be his efforts to dig deep into the personal, personality, and locker room sides of things with these players. While we may not necessarily always "hit" on who we bring in, it seems like we'll at least be doing things the right way. Funny also how he said he came into the league as a scout. I loved his jab there near the end at the NY media about how they're "the most resourceful media out there" and, essentially, saying that they should be doing their research.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

I feel like debating about Flynn is like debating with religious people. I have the simple facts that 1. Philbin, the guy who coached him for years in GB did not want him and 2. He got beat out of a starting job by a 3rd round rookie (who wasn't even an average qb until halfway through the season if you need your memory jogged)

The Flynn corner is only going off of faith.

Believe what you want, but ill be absolutely pissed if we a) take on his contract b) give up ANYTHING for him and I will be mildly steamed if we sign him for cheap if the Seahawks cut him.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Did you miss the part about him thinking the Seahawks would have went further in the playoffs with Flynn? How is that qb stability that's him saying Flynn is an elite qb basically
That's not what I said, actually. I'm just saying it might have happened. We really don't know. I don't believe he's a better QB than Wilson, but with a different situation, there's no telling whether they would have seen better success. There are several losses early on in the season for the Seahawks that could have gone differently had they had a more experienced QB under center. And, with a better record, they might have been at home for their playoff games which, if you know anything about the Seahawks, is quite the advantage.

Plus, we should be looking for the right fit for us, not everyone else. Flynn might just fit perfectly for the Jets... but he might not. Just saying it's an option out there, and one umbrella we could use while we groom a QB we draft in the next couple years.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
That's not what I said, actually. I'm just saying it might have happened. We really don't know. I don't believe he's a better QB than Wilson, but with a different situation, there's no telling whether they would have seen better success. There are several losses early on in the season for the Seahawks that could have gone differently had they had a more experienced QB under center. And, with a better record, they might have been at home for their playoff games which, if you know anything about the Seahawks, is quite the advantage.

Plus, we should be looking for the right fit for us, not everyone else. Flynn might just fit perfectly for the Jets... but he might not. Just saying it's an option out there, and one umbrella we could use while we groom a QB we draft in the next couple years.
You don't know. I do. Seahawks would not have even made the playoffs with Flynn at qb. The guy is trash and is a career backup.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Dolphins passed on Flynn because he was too expensive to invest with the plan of drafting qb in the first round. It was not because he sucked.

Flynn lost the job to Wilson simply because he can't run to keep offense alive.

BTW, Tom Clements developed Matt Flynn. Not Joe Phibin like many claimed.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Dolphins passed on Flynn because he was too expensive to invest with the plan of drafting qb in the first round. It was not because he sucked.

Flynn lost the job to Wilson simply because he can't run to keep offense alive.

BTW, Tom Clements developed Matt Flynn. Not Joe Phibin like many claimed.
I didn't claim he developed him I claimed he coached him. Which he did. He got to see him in practice and knew more about him than anyone in the qb market. And also there was no 'plan to take a qb 1st' if one of the teams ahead of them took tannehill or if a team traded up and took tannehill then where would they be? They passed on him because he isn't a starting qb. Plain and simple
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I think we should just move past the Flynn thing. It's really a non-issue unless we end up doing something. Maybe we should focus on the press conference? A lot of good things, IMO, from Idzik. I also like that he noted how vital the draft will be to this organization, and then appeared to view free agency, trades, and waiver claims as of lesser importance (though that's just an assumption off of his body language). Rex is his usual self. Woody... can't trust Woody. It would have been nice to hear from Morninhweg. I'd like to know what they're looking for from this offense. I guess he wouldn't be able to say too much about personnel decisions, but we could at least infer some things.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me, the contract isn't an issue for Flynn. This year's team likely isn't going to be competitive anyway, so if they can fit him under the cap then fine. Not like it's a long term deal. Giving something up to get him, i.e. a draft pick, is definitely an issue though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline

Was told earlier that Rex Ryan thinks Quinton Coples is poised for a monster season in 2013.
Interesting.

In other news,

Quote:
Darrelle Revis ‏@Revis24

I'm speechless by far but more importantly I feel more upset for the jet nation for having to go through this!!!

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm so torn on the Revis situation. Emotions aside, I completely understand why they want to explore the option of trading him. Although if they go this route, they need to receive an appropriate amount of picks for a top 10 player in the league (even with the question marks regarding his injury).

Since we're in rebuild mode, these are the guys that I think will be on the roster in 2014: Powell, Kerley, Hill, Mangold, Ducasse, D'Brick, Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Harris, Davis, Cro, Wilson, Bush, and Allen. I honestly think that we can be very competitive in 2014 if they manage to keep Revis, draft well, fill in openings with bargain players (this year), and then sign some free agents (next year).

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that its quite possible that we can turn things around quickly if we get an efficient QB and address our O-Line, WRs, RBs, and LBs. Easier said then done, I know, but I think that we can do it in 2 off seasons.

Last edited by TimD : 01-25-2013 at 09:52 AM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
I'm so torn on the Revis situation. Emotions aside, I completely understand why they want to explore the option of trading him. Although if they go this route, they need to receive an appropriate amount of picks for a top 10 player in the league (even with the question marks regarding his injury).

I feel the same way about the Revis situation. If they keep him and can't resign him, then they missed a huge opportunity to help in their rebuilding process. Reminds me of the Reyes situation, if any of you are Met fans. But on the other hand, I want them to be able to rebuild and keep him. Down the road, Revis retires as one of the all-time greatest Jets, and goes on to the Hall of Fame. He is one of the few, if not the only Jet, people want to pay to see.

With that, I think the trade is going to happen. From what I've been reading, this situation is heating up in a hurry. Here are some recent quotes I read through Rotoworlds player news site:

[One NFL general manager said the interest in Darrelle Revis is "one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever."

"There's a Revis gold rush forming," the GM said. According to CBS' Mike Freeman, the Jets are asking for a first- and second-round pick in exchange for Revis, which certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if he were healthy. It's a high price for a guy coming off a torn ACL. Teams that have been linked to Revis are the Patriots, Broncos, 49ers, Bills, Seahawks, and Packers, according to Freeman. You can rule out a trade with the division rival Patriots and Bills.]

If a team offered a 1st and 2nd pick, I don't see the Jets turning it down. Unless it's from the Patriots or Bills of course.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I 100% agree with Tim's first paragraph. I would hate trading one of the best players in the league but I'm just not sure we'll be able to bring him back after next year. I would be very tempted to trade him if we get a great package of picks.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

A 1st and 2nd is actually a better haul than I was expecting. Personally, I would've asked for even more though and then let the offers set the true value, but oh well. If we got that, depending on the placement of the picks, I would be quite interested. Unfortunately, all of those teams are playoff teams, so those are actually fairly low picks. I would probably be asking for more from them. Honestly, I would be hyping up what AD did off of his injury, citing the clear fact that Revis might be one of the greatest CBs in the history of the game currently in his prime, and try to get as much as possible at this point. With so many teams interested, you can very easily play them off of each other. But forget division rivals, I would want to trade him out of the conference.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A 1st and 2nd is actually a better haul than I was expecting. Personally, I would've asked for even more though and then let the offers set the true value, but oh well. If we got that, depending on the placement of the picks, I would be quite interested. Unfortunately, all of those teams are playoff teams, so those are actually fairly low picks. I would probably be asking for more from them. Honestly, I would be hyping up what AD did off of his injury, citing the clear fact that Revis might be one of the greatest CBs in the history of the game currently in his prime, and try to get as much as possible at this point. With so many teams interested, you can very easily play them off of each other. But forget division rivals, I would want to trade him out of the conference.

A first and second rounder could only be a start if the front office does a good job of "playing them off of each other". If a deal does happen, this would most likely define Idzik's tenure as a Jet GM already. If they land picks, he would have to draft players that make an impact and have successful years as a Jet. Otherwise, the trade and maybe his tenure would be a bust. And then we'll be talking about how "Revis" is the #1 guy the Jets let get away.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
A first and second rounder could only be a start if the front office does a good job of "playing them off of each other". If a deal does happen, this would most likely define Idzik's tenure as a Jet GM already. If they land picks, he would have to draft players that make an impact and have successful years as a Jet. Otherwise, the trade and maybe his tenure would be a bust. And then we'll be talking about how "Revis" is the #1 guy the Jets let get away.
Speaking of guys they let get away, I'm still sad about John Abraham. He's been a beast for so long now. The Falcons really missed a healthy version of him there in the playoffs.

So what you're saying is that you think a 1st and a 2nd is the absolute ceiling? Personally, I wouldn't believe that to be the case. How would people feel about a 1st and a future 1st? I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

But what you say is completely true. No matter what the picks are, he has to land good ones. But really, it won't matter so long as he fields a winner, so just in general, Idzik has to put together a solid team in the next 2-3 years. I do believe though, at least with the early picks, that that'll mean they'll try to go with as "safe" of picks as possible, so at least from my perspective, you can probably rule out players like Jordan and Mingo.

Also, if, hypothetically, we did lose Revis, what do you think the chances would be of losing Cromartie as well? Would anyone be for that?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Dang! I wish Bills weren't in the same division as Jets.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Drafting CB now and then drafting another CB in 2015. Problem is we don't know whoever rookie CB will be an above average CB or not. Maybe restructuring and extending Cromartie's contract for 3 more seasons.

I prefer both 2nd round picks on OLB but I am not sure about 2 first round picks. CB and ?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I would probably have to think the majority of the early picks would be spent on the offense, actually. But we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch. We haven't actually been offered anything yet and, by some miracle, we might just even be able to keep Revis.