Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In terms of our pick, I'd be absolutely ecstatic with either Star or Werner. Those guys are a dream situation for me. If both are off the board I would probably just go with whatever DL graded out the highest for us. I'm a bit unsure about how Moore will perform as a 4-3 end. I really see him as more of a 3-4 olb guy. Saftey and OG are both needs, but I think we can address those in later rounds as OG has great depth this year, and S doesn't really have anyone elite, which you would need to be to go top 10.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
I'm sure he's been busy being a Louisiana doctor who somehow has access to all the the team medical exams (I'm pretty sure his story was something like that).

Bobo you were on TC also right? Pretty sure I remember you, but its been a really long time for me. I pretty much stopped going over there once JTB started changing formats.
Well the one thing about having Bongo around was things stayed interesting lol. I was there and on GoTitans for awhile. This is the only place I get to talk Titans now, and I'm fine with that.

And I totally missed the reference of the ".........." in your first post lol. How could I forget Bongos style.

Last edited by Bobo : 01-21-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I disagree, Moore played from the DE position pretty often and performed very well there. He can excel in either defense in my opinion.

I'd be happy with any of the 3, Star, Werner or Moore. After that I'd have to think long and hard
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's something posted from a guy supposedly at the Senior Bowl. It's from Walterfootball.com, and I've never heard of that site, so whatever. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't.

Quote:
It is popular among many to project the Tennessee Titans to take a pass-rushing defensive end with their first-round pick. After speaking with sources with the Titans, they say not so fast. They like the pass-rushing ability of Kamerion Wimbley and Derrick Morgan. They felt that Akeem Ayers will continue to bring more pass rush. Titans sources point out that Ayers had six sacks in the second half of the season after the team started blitzing him. Second-year linebacker Zach Brown also has some blitzing ability. The secondary and offensive line sound like the primary areas of focus for the Titans' offseason additions.
Personally, I'm not against going secondary in the 1st since it seems like the top DL could all be gone, BUT I'm just not sure that the top corners are legit blue chippers. I mean, if we think we're getting a Revis, Haden, or Peterson, then I'm all for it. I just don't know if the top guys this year can man up like those guys can.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can definitely understand if we think DE can wait (although we really need depth there) because Ayers and Brown have shown well as pass rushers and Morgan had a pretty solid season. DT seems like a possibility as its a need and there are some good prospects there. I don't really see us going OG in the 1st and there isn't a stud saftey. Maybe corner? Although it isn't our top need.

I guess my main concern about Moore is his ability to hold up against the run and we already have Wimbley/Ayers if we want a pass rush guy. Watching Wimbley get destroyed against the run last year was miserable. Although to be fair I can't say I've watched Moore a ton so the next few months will be telling.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 01-21-2013 at 11:26 PM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the best thing we could do for our secondary is add a good strong safety and increase our pass rush ability. That might be just me, though.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Here's something posted from a guy supposedly at the Senior Bowl. It's from Walterfootball.com, and I've never heard of that site, so whatever. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't.

Personally, I'm not against going secondary in the 1st since it seems like the top DL could all be gone, BUT I'm just not sure that the top corners are legit blue chippers. I mean, if we think we're getting a Revis, Haden, or Peterson, then I'm all for it. I just don't know if the top guys this year can man up like those guys can.
Well with all we've invested, we should be a better pass rushing team. Maybe Wimbly needs another year. Maybe Morgan will turn some of those pressures into sacks. Maybe Martin gets on the field more and provides pressure. Maybe Klug goes back to rookie form. Maybe we don't wait till half way through the season to blitz our LB's. Maybe we have a good pass rushing D just waiting to prove it in 2013...just maybe.

I'd rather stack up pass rushers like the Giants have done.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

True, its difficult to have too many pass rushers, especially in today's game. And its not like we have a bunch of studs taking all the snaps. If the FO is convinced that someone available is going to be an elite pass rusher you absolutely take him.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 01-22-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we at least need depth at DE, but in my latest mock we got Carradine in the 3rd and Devin Taylor in the 5th (although he likely has moved up)

I think the best possible scenario would be if Star was there at 10. Adding a big stud at DT would help free up our DE's. I don't think the DE's are as bad as people think, they need more help from the DT position. It also needs more depth.

I guess if Milliner was there that would be ok, but I think he's a little overrated
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

DE depth is definitely a must. Star and Werner are still my ideal situations, although I may grow to like Richardson as well depending on how he does during the pre-draft process
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

yeah, I simply haven't watched enough of Richardson yet. I think Moore is going to be a beast too
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Things like the Senior Bowl/combine/pro days will clear things up a bit. Ezekiel Ansah is another guy who might get some consideration if he stands out at the combine like some people think he will.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would at least be partly amusing to see them just be like

"**** it"
1. Chance Warmack
2. Larry Warford
3. Barrett Jones
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
It would at least be partly amusing to see them just be like

"**** it"
1. Chance Warmack
2. Larry Warford
3. Barrett Jones
I agree to this draft strategy completely. The return of CJ2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I'm amazed at the depth of the DE position in this years draft. Sure some have holes in their games, but you can get a solid contributer in the 4th round
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Current Titans Mock Draft.
2 rules:
1) I use cbssports/nfldraftscouts player rankings to estimate player values
2) I assume we will get a 4th and 6th round compensatory picks until told otherwise

1) DT Star Lotulelei 6'3" 320 Utah
2) SS Matt Elam 5'10" 202 Florida
3) OG Larry Warford 6'3" 333 Kentucky
4) C Khaled Holmes 6'3" 305 USC
4) DE Devin Taylor 6'7" 275 South Carolina
5) CB BW Webb 5'10" 183 William & Mary
6) CB/S Tyrann Mathieu 5'9" 178 LSU
6) DE Cornelius Washington 6'4" 268 Georgia
7) TE Joseph Fauria 6'7" 257 UCLA
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd cream my pants with that draft.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

That draft would be
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

The more and more I watch Warford the more and more I like him. He's so stout at the point of attack, reminds me somewhat of Larry Allen back in the day.

It's kind of wishful thinking that Star will be there at 10, and Elam there in the 2nd, but it's currently lining up on the player value board.

Last edited by mightytitan9 : 01-23-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I think what we do have going in our favor is that KC, Ari, NYJ, Buf, and possibly Oak could all look QB in round 1. This certainly isn't a stacked class at QB, but let's hope a bunch of these guys do well in the predraft process and can convince teams to go QB ahead of us and push some other studs down. OT is another position that could go top 10 with Joeckel being pretty much a lock, and Eric Fisher as a certain possability.

Things like is are why a guy like Star could slide slide to us at 10
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Current Titans Mock Draft.
2 rules:
1) I use cbssports/nfldraftscouts player rankings to estimate player values
2) I assume we will get a 4th and 6th round compensatory picks until told otherwise

1) DT Star Lotulelei 6'3" 320 Utah
2) SS Matt Elam 5'10" 202 Florida
3) OG Larry Warford 6'3" 333 Kentucky
4) C Khaled Holmes 6'3" 305 USC
4) DE Devin Taylor 6'7" 275 South Carolina
5) CB BW Webb 5'10" 183 William & Mary
6) CB/S Tyrann Mathieu 5'9" 178 LSU
6) DE Cornelius Washington 6'4" 268 Georgia
7) TE Joseph Fauria 6'7" 257 UCLA
That'd be excellent. You really like Devin Taylor and Joseph Fauria, huh?

Also, we don't have a 6th RD'er this year. We traded it to Minnesota last year for their 7th RD'er, and we took DE Scott Solomon with it. Hopefully we can get a 4th RD'er for losing Finny, but we did spend money with Steve Hutchinson and Kamerion Wimbley, so I hope they don't cancel each other out.

I'll be hoping for a 1st RD DL until draft day, I think. Ziggy Ansah or Sheldon Richardson would be great, but if Star falls, then to me, that's a no brainer. The DE's are tricky to rate. I've always held Werner as my #1, but I'm not in love with him. I'm not a fan of Damontre Moore. I talked about it with Tackle, and Tacks worded it for me when he said he gets a lot of his sacks by being slippery. I'm not so sure he's this super explosive pass-rusher that he's made out to be, because to me, those players abuse OT's by blowing by the OT and bending off the edge. From what I've seen, Moore doesn't do that a lot. He kind of engages, disengages from his blocker, and then manuevers his way to the QB amid the mayhem of the pocket. I mean, it could be the scheme I guess, but I'm not as high on him as most. I've never been a fan of the LSU duo, and honestly, I have no clue about Dion Jordan. So I'm thinking Ziggy Ansah for us. He's been great so far in the Senior Bowl, is super athletic, and has the size that the coaching staff apparently wants at DE. Also, LONG ARMS!!!

Also, I'm still floating my worry about Elam. You can't be Bob Sanders in the NFL anymore, and Elam isn't big enough to just throw his shoulder into guys to make the tackle. I still like him. Love his attitude, how he flows to the ball, and while I think his physicality can be a negative, it's also a positive when he uses it properly. I thought his partner in crime Josh Evans was a 100% headhunter, and it rubbed off on Elam. It needs to be coached out of him without taking away his playmaking physicality that makes all of us like him as a prospect. If they don't do that, then he's a walking 15-yard penalty because Griffin takes enough head shots as it is and that stuff is contagious. I grade him as strictly a 2nd RD player.

Meanwhile, this draft is stacked at safety towards the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd round, and I hope that's where they take one since we need a S who can cover TE's with Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen in Indy, Marcedes Lewis in Jax (although I think he's a FA), and the Texans always bite us in the ass with whoever they throw out there at TE. Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, and TJ McDonald all have the size and speed to cover these big, athletic TE's. That may be a tougher task for guys like Matt Elam and Tony Jefferson. It'd be nice to have a guy to take away the quick hitch to the TE when we're hopefully bilitzing the **** out of Ayers and Brown.

Oh, and Scott/Shane saw the Tits talking to Brian Winters at the Senior Bowl! I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE AROUSED!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
I think what we do have going in our favor is that KC, Ari, NYJ, Buf, and possibly Oak could all look QB in round 1. This certainly isn't a stacked class at QB, but let's hope a bunch of these guys do well in the predraft process and can convince teams to go QB ahead of us and push some other studs down. OT is another position that could go top 10 with Joeckel being pretty much a lock, and Eric Fisher as a certain possability.

Things like is are why a guy like Star could slide slide to us at 10
Thats exactly what I'm hoping for
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
That'd be excellent. You really like Devin Taylor and Joseph Fauria, huh?

Also, we don't have a 6th RD'er this year. We traded it to Minnesota last year for their 7th RD'er, and we took DE Scott Solomon with it. Hopefully we can get a 4th RD'er for losing Finny, but we did spend money with Steve Hutchinson and Kamerion Wimbley, so I hope they don't cancel each other out.

I'll be hoping for a 1st RD DL until draft day, I think. Ziggy Ansah or Sheldon Richardson would be great, but if Star falls, then to me, that's a no brainer. The DE's are tricky to rate. I've always held Werner as my #1, but I'm not in love with him. I'm not a fan of Damontre Moore. I talked about it with Tackle, and Tacks worded it for me when he said he gets a lot of his sacks by being slippery. I'm not so sure he's this super explosive pass-rusher that he's made out to be, because to me, those players abuse OT's by blowing by the OT and bending off the edge. From what I've seen, Moore doesn't do that a lot. He kind of engages, disengages from his blocker, and then manuevers his way to the QB amid the mayhem of the pocket. I mean, it could be the scheme I guess, but I'm not as high on him as most. I've never been a fan of the LSU duo, and honestly, I have no clue about Dion Jordan. So I'm thinking Ziggy Ansah for us. He's been great so far in the Senior Bowl, is super athletic, and has the size that the coaching staff apparently wants at DE. Also, LONG ARMS!!!

Also, I'm still floating my worry about Elam. You can't be Bob Sanders in the NFL anymore, and Elam isn't big enough to just throw his shoulder into guys to make the tackle. I still like him. Love his attitude, how he flows to the ball, and while I think his physicality can be a negative, it's also a positive when he uses it properly. I thought his partner in crime Josh Evans was a 100% headhunter, and it rubbed off on Elam. It needs to be coached out of him without taking away his playmaking physicality that makes all of us like him as a prospect. If they don't do that, then he's a walking 15-yard penalty because Griffin takes enough head shots as it is and that stuff is contagious. I grade him as strictly a 2nd RD player.

Meanwhile, this draft is stacked at safety towards the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd round, and I hope that's where they take one since we need a S who can cover TE's with Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen in Indy, Marcedes Lewis in Jax (although I think he's a FA), and the Texans always bite us in the ass with whoever they throw out there at TE. Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, and TJ McDonald all have the size and speed to cover these big, athletic TE's. That may be a tougher task for guys like Matt Elam and Tony Jefferson. It'd be nice to have a guy to take away the quick hitch to the TE when we're hopefully bilitzing the **** out of Ayers and Brown.

Oh, and Scott/Shane saw the Tits talking to Brian Winters at the Senior Bowl! I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE AROUSED!
To me Devin Taylor could be the steal of the draft. If he had a better senior year he would have been a first round pick. He's got all the moves, has great speed, long wingspan, quick first step and good use of his hands. He needs some work on his moves as does nearly every DE coming out of college, but he seems better than most I've seen. He likely won't ever be a round the corner type of guy like Freeney/Mathis due to his size, but he can still get to the QB. He needs to hold up better at the point of attack in the run game, but that can be developed hopefully. I'm not saying he's going to be a star, but in the 4th round I don't see much that could go wrong.

As for Fauria, I admit I only watched a few games of his over his career but came away impressed nearly every time. He seemed like one of UCLA biggest receiving threats, in the red zone they knew it was coming to him and he still managed to get the TD numerous times over his career. We are going to need to develop a TE that can catch and block, and although Fauria needs work as a blocker, he is still much better than Cook. Again, in the 7th it's such a small price to play for a guy of his caliber in my opinion.

I forgot about that trade, thanks for reminding me. I don't think the signings of Wimbley and Hutchinson will count because due to my understanding the rule is if a player is cut the team cutting them do not get rewarded and the team signing them do not get penalized.

I'm not a fan of Ziggy at all, to me he's a late 2nd early 3rd rounded. Maybe through watching more film he'll grow on me, but right now I would have about 50 players ahead of him on my big board at #10. I'm not huge on the LSU guys or Dion Jordan at #10. If for some reason we traded down to around 20 I'd be fine pulling the trigger. My DE rankings are Werner, Moore and then a big drop off so I'd wait until the 2nd.

I think Elam is a late first early 2nd, but due to the SS position he could be there in the 2nd. I compare Elam more to Donte Whitner than Sanders. (Whitner who I said we should have signed when he was a FA a few years ago) and that size can work in the NFL. You need a SS more for coverage now days than playing up at the line, especially if you got a guy like Star in the first that would require double teamed. While I understand the size problem with the TE matchup, it's a solid arguement I just don't see Eric Reid being worth a 2nd on film, maybe it was scheme and SS will be better for him. I think Vacarro will be gone by then and with McDonald, Lester, Jefferson I just don't see the talent ability in coverage. Maybe with some coaching that will change, but I don't know that.

Brian Winters would be a nice fit at guard for us, I still like Warford more, but he'll also probably go a round or 2 before Winters.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

As a UCLA fan, I love me some Fauria. He's a huge red zone target and it seemed like the Bruins always went to him when they needed a big catch. I think he can be a decent player in the league. With a 7th rounder its not much risk, but we have invested a decent amount in TEs in recent years.

I'm also with TH on Moore. When I watch the guy on film he really doesn't pop out to me in terms of explosiveness that you'd look for in a top 10 DE. I could be wrong and time will tell, but color me as unimpressed so far.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 01-24-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree on Moore. I don't know if we're watching different film, if we just analyze things differently or just interpret explosion differently.

I'll admit he's not extremely explosive, but few really are. When I watch film of him I notice a few things. The biggest is what offense he is going against, when playing an offense with a running QB he was generally used as a 3-4 backer and you could tell he was reading and reacting and likely had contain as well.

Against teams without a running QB, he played a lot more DE. This is where he impressed me the most because a lot of his big plays came from the DE position.