Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

stlouisfan,

Totally agree with you on Ansah. I have been reading a lot of glowing reviews about him.

In fact, right now I have the Rams taking Sheldon Richardson at #16 should he be there; but, if not, I have the Rams seriously considering a guy like E. Ansah.

Yeah, I know that we have Quinn and all, but sometimes I wonder if he is really a Fish kind of player. He seems deficient in the run game and disappears for long stretches of the game.

Remember Fish did not draft the kid and may not have a lot of patience with him. Coach Fish likes physical players and I think Quinn had better step it up or he may find himself sitting more than he cares to.

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Also, one article I read talked about FIU safety Jonathan Cyprien looking really good at the Senior Bowl. He weighed in at 6'0" and 209. I looked for some film on him and couldn't find any. Does anyone know anything about him? You know I love those small school guys:-)
Yeah, I've read more than a couple reports/tweets bringing up his name and how good he's looking. I haven't been able to find any video, but if the reports are accurate and he keeps up this momentum, he should be worth a look on Day Two if the Rams don't like the value of a first round safety.

Quote:
And every report I have read mentions Ezekiel Ansah, DE, from BYU. He arrived late so his official measurements are not in yet, but is listed at 6'6" and 270 on Yahoo's BYU page. One of those high ceiling guys that Fisher loves. What I really like about him is that he doesn't always make the big play, but he holds contain a lot and has a strong understanding of what his responsibilities are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk
That's fine and everything, but I don't see the Rams taking him. If he's overwhelmingly the best rated player available when the Rams pick, I'd expect them to start working the phones for a possible trade down.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two videos I've found on Jonathan Cyprien....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxTBKjPBgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5vsum2vHw

Brynden Trawick is another safety who theree isn't much video on but I'm looking forward to watching in the "Texas vs the Nation" All-Star game.

If we lose William Hayes in Free Agency, I think selecting a guy like Ezekiel Ansah or Margus Hunt becomes a real possibility.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
If we lose William Hayes in Free Agency, I think selecting a guy like Ezekiel Ansah or Margus Hunt becomes a real possibility.
Maybe. While Hayes was a big contributor on defense, it's important to remember he was only on the field for about a third of the Rams' defensive snaps. Are you getting the most out of a first round pick by using it on someone who will be a situational player?

I just have a hard time envisioning Ansah will be of such good value at either of our picks that we'd pass on other talented prospects at larger positions of need. It could happen, but I think the Rams would be better served considering someone else with that pick or trying to trade down with a team that covets Ansah.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fisher loves drafting defensive players. Would he trade down? Absolutely. In fact, I am almost certain that we will make at least one trade down in the first round if possible. But if we can't, there is no doubt in my mind that Fisher/Snead would not hesitate to take another DE and stack that front 7 if they think he is far and away the best player available. They could end up taking an offensive lineman in the first; common sense says they should. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't, and I would be absolutely shocked if they took 2. WR is a better likelihood, but is there a WR in this draft worthy of being the #16 pick? I'm not sure. There doesn't appear to be a Julio Jones in this draft.

If I had my way, I would like to see us make a couple of trades down and out of the 1st round with the #16 pick, take the BPA at #22, and have a few extra picks in rounds 2-5. I think that is where the best value is in this draft.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
But if we can't, there is no doubt in my mind that Fisher/Snead would not hesitate to take another DE and stack that front 7 if they think he is far and away the best player available.
Which is why I said, "I just have a hard time envisioning Ansah will be of such good value at either of our picks that we'd pass on other talented prospects at larger positions of need."

If he is, then by all means, take him. I just have a hard time seeing a scenario in which he's so much better than anyone else available that, if the Rams can't move out of the pick, they can't justify taking someone else.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone know what players we met with last year at the Senior Bowl?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Does anyone know what players we met with last year at the Senior Bowl?
Alabama LB Courtney Upshaw and LSU safety Brandon Taylor, according to Turf Show Times.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I think my Wide Receiver rankings would be....

1. Keenan Allen
2. Tavon Austin
3. DeAndre Hopkins
4. Justin Hunter
5. Cordarrelle Patterson
6. Terrance Williams
7. Markus Wheaton
8. Robert Woods
9. Quinton Patton
10. Stedman Bailey
12. Da'Rick Rogers
Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

If the Rams can't bring Amendola back, then I think Tavon Austin would make a lot of sense as a replacement in the slot and for return duties.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I love Tavon Austin. Such an electric player.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously I believe most of you would agree that S needs to be one of the Rams top 3 picks, if not at least at 16/22. Wondering how you guys are ranking the safeties in your opinion.

I've been watching a lot of Kenny Vacarro tape and he's been dropping down my personal board with each game I watch. On the other hand, while he plays a little helter-skelter at times, Matt Elam has become my clear-cut #1 (for now). Let me know what S's you guys are looking at as well...

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com if you want to hear some awesome NFL talk with a Pro Football HoF voter and one of the committee who votes on post-season awards. It's always a blast from 9-11.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
Obviously I believe most of you would agree that S needs to be one of the Rams top 3 picks, if not at least at 16/22. Wondering how you guys are ranking the safeties in your opinion.

I've been watching a lot of Kenny Vacarro tape and he's been dropping down my personal board with each game I watch. On the other hand, while he plays a little helter-skelter at times, Matt Elam has become my clear-cut #1 (for now). Let me know what S's you guys are looking at as well...
Yeah I'm not that high on Vacarro either. I think he's a day 2 selection. I think Tony Jefferson is my #1 Safety right now in this class

1. Tony Jefferson
2. Eric Reid
3. DJ Swearinger
4. Kenny Vacarro
5. Phillip Thomas
6. TJ Mcdonald
7. Matt Elam
8. Micah Hyde

I wouldnt feel comfortable taking any with our 1st round picks.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Schefter is reporting the Rams have officially hired Rob Ryan as DC.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Not sure how you guys feel about the hire, but I like it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I trust Fisher at this point. Ultimately, it's his defense regardless of who is coordinating.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Rob Ryan as our DC. I think he brings the kind of fire and intensity that would elevate us to another level.

I really like the kid from FIU...I believe his name is Cyprien. He could be a great safety to nab in the 2nd/3rd round. And I agree, we do not need to use a 1st rounder at safety.

Here is a nice write-up I found on the Senior Bowl.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/senior-...0790--nfl.html
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

My latest Mock....

1. Jarvis Jones OLB
- Might be wishful thinking that he falls to pick #16, but crazier things have happened on draft day. And with his situation, I could see it. I think it'll be a tough decision for any team to draft a player that might only play for 5 or 6 years.

1. Tavon Austin WR
- I think Hopkins and Austin are my two favorite Receivers in this class, Austin is ELECTRIC with the football, not only will he help stretch the defense but also in the return game, sick of Austin Pettis returning punts.

2. Barrett Jones OL
- Barrett has experience at all three positions on the Line. You can slide him in at Left Guard if Turner or Rok don't improve any (I was impressed with Turner's play this year) And he can be a solid backup at Center if something happens to Scott Wells again.

3. Da'Rick Rogers WR
- Might be another risky selection, but in the 3rd round, I think it's well worth it.

4. Bennie Logan DT
5. Micah Hyde FS
6. Manase Foketi OT
7. Dennis Johnson RB
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I really like the kid from FIU...I believe his name is Cyprien. He could be a great safety to nab in the 2nd/3rd round. And I agree, we do not need to use a 1st rounder at safety.
Agreed, I've been impressed by what I've read and I think he'd make a nice target on Day Two.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The mock looks solid, but one thing I'd note is Turner seemed to play much better at center than he did at guard (PFF's 18th ranked center vs. 65th ranked guard), so I'd hope if the Rams keep him, it'd be to back up or compete with Scott Wells. Jones shouldn't have much trouble beating Rok out for the LG duties.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

As I recall, Boudreau said something like, "Turner did a really nice job filling in for us, but ideally he would be the first backup to the inerior line." I see him that way as well.

I love Tavon Austin, I'm sure I haven't talked about him enough here. He reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson in the open field. I knew he was productive, but I didn't realize he had put up 2900 all-purpose yards and 21 total TD's. And he is extremely durable for a guy his size...played in 52 games in college. I'm on board.

Another guy that is getting rave reviews from the Senior Bowl is Texas WR Marquise Goodwin. He wasn't nearly as productive in college, and Scott Wright questioned why he wasn't utilized because he caught everything and has world class speed. Could be scheme, personality conflict, who knows? We can all name lots of players who didn't do much in college and went on to have fabulous pro careers, though. He did return punts in college, with a 25.2 average.

Markus Wheaton is also getting a lot of love. He is quick and explosive, and taller than the other two (6'1", 180). He doesn't have the great long speed, but runs great routes and came in well polished. These are my three favorite receivers this year so far.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Markus Wheaton is also getting a lot of love. He is quick and explosive, and taller than the other two (6'1", 180).
Scott's Senior Bowl weigh in page has Wheaton @ 5'11".
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I love Markus Wheaton as well, I also really like Quinton Patton as a late 2nd-early 3rd round guy.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Scott's Senior Bowl weigh in page has Wheaton @ 5'11".
Oops...took my numbers from Yahoo:( I guess he is right in the same ballpark as the other two guys.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
I love Markus Wheaton as well, I also really like Quinton Patton as a late 2nd-early 3rd round guy.
Yeah, Patton got a lot of positive talk as well. What kind of wheels does he have? I thought I read somewhere that he was "more quick than fast."
Closed Thread