Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Should Revis be the highest paid defensive player?

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...ts-100-million

Apparently, he's asking to be that, the highest paid defensive player. I'm not sure this is "news" but it has potential to be an interesting discussion...

He basically wants to be paid as the highest paid defensive player in the game, which would put the figure somewhere around 6 years 100 million with 50 million guaranteed. He's arguably the best defensive player (obviously, not this year), but would you give him the salary to say that?

And before someone points it out, I know how negotiations work. This is why I don't laugh at Joe Flacco for telling the Ravens he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league. The same is true about Revis asking for 100 million as a CB. He's basically asking for 16 million a year. While the current standard for elite CBs is much much lower, he's the unquestioned best in the game right now. So it's up to the teams to decide if he's worth that much more than the others. If he asks for 12, he will likely end up with 10. If he asks for 16, maybe he gets 12.

Personally, I don't think corners make that big of an impact to justify that big of a salary cap hit. Revis has had some amazing games against NE and the Patriots have still won. Let's also not forget that he is coming off an ACL injury, which has ended more than 1 career. If he comes back and sucks next year then the Jets (or whomever) could be on the rope for 50 million. . .