Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Should Revis be the highest paid defensive player?

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...ts-100-million

Apparently, he's asking to be that, the highest paid defensive player. I'm not sure this is "news" but it has potential to be an interesting discussion...

He basically wants to be paid as the highest paid defensive player in the game, which would put the figure somewhere around 6 years 100 million with 50 million guaranteed. He's arguably the best defensive player (obviously, not this year), but would you give him the salary to say that?

And before someone points it out, I know how negotiations work. This is why I don't laugh at Joe Flacco for telling the Ravens he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league. The same is true about Revis asking for 100 million as a CB. He's basically asking for 16 million a year. While the current standard for elite CBs is much much lower, he's the unquestioned best in the game right now. So it's up to the teams to decide if he's worth that much more than the others. If he asks for 12, he will likely end up with 10. If he asks for 16, maybe he gets 12.

Personally, I don't think corners make that big of an impact to justify that big of a salary cap hit. Revis has had some amazing games against NE and the Patriots have still won. Let's also not forget that he is coming off an ACL injury, which has ended more than 1 career. If he comes back and sucks next year then the Jets (or whomever) could be on the rope for 50 million. . .
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont see why not. The highest paid defensive player is almost always gonna be the latest elite player to hit the open market. Mario Williams being the highest paid defensive players is a joke because hes not even among the top 10 defensive players, maybe not even top 20. Im not sure if Revis is the best defender in the league or not, but hes without a doubt top 5. Hes also without a doubt the best CB in the league, and there is a wider gap b/w him and the next best corner than there is b/w the best and second best at any other position. And finding shutdown corners is near impossible in this era of the NFL, so yes I think whatever huge contract some team is gonna sign him to will be money well-spent. There is the injury concern. But I expect him to make a full recovery and come back as good as ever. Looking at what Peterson did, and knowing that Revis is the same kind of worker and competitor and also a physical freak (although not quite as much as AP), Im pretty confident hell be putting receivers on Revis island again next season. Also when you consider the way the Jets fell apart without him, its clear he has a huge impact. Sure, their offense sucked, but thats nothing new, but they still won because of their defense, which went from elite to mediocre because of his injury. Is there another defender in the league who has that huge of an impact on his team? All I can think of is JJ Watt.

Last edited by Eazy Picks : 01-26-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he could go the Primetime route, where you give him a short (1-3 year), mostly guaranteed contract. You might bring him in as a "Hired Gun" if you have a team that's close to winning it all. If everything works out, you make a Championship run with him for a year or two, and then he moves on to the next team that's willing to bid the most money.

Last edited by WCH : 01-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Jets dont want to pay him, they should trade him to the highest bidder because no point in letting him leave as an UFA in 2014 and all you'll possibly get would be a 3rd round compensation pick in 2015.

Bottom line - extend/pay him or trade him.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he's worth it. It's just way too much money for a non-QB. But he'll probably get something stupid high anyways.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you have a cheap young talent in other positions, I would definitely support paying Revis that dough. I think he gets one Nnamdi type deal(3 years and most of it guaranteed at the highest AAV for a corner) and one monster deal. It makes a ton of sense for a team like the Bengals to trade for him. Dalton costs peanuts, all the other important players except Leon Hall are not expensive, they have the extra picks and they have ridiculous cap room. Of course, Mike Brown so the Bengals wont do anything.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
If you have a cheap young talent in other positions, I would definitely support paying Revis that dough. I think he gets one Nnamdi type deal(3 years and most of it guaranteed at the highest AAV for a corner) and one monster deal. It makes a ton of sense for a team like the Bengals to trade for him. Dalton costs peanuts, all the other important players except Leon Hall are not expensive, they have the extra picks and they have ridiculous cap room. Of course, Mike Brown so the Bengals wont do anything.
Hall and Revis on the same field would be nice.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Should he be the highest played defensive player in the NFL? Absolutely. Would I (as a GM) be the one to give him that contract? Probably not because of the ACL.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
If the Jets dont want to pay him, they should trade him to the highest bidder because no point in letting him leave as an UFA in 2014 and all you'll possibly get would be a 3rd round compensation pick in 2015.

Bottom line - extend/pay him or trade him.
Yes. The Jets have to trade Revis now.

Their primary goal right now is to get under the cap. Revis' cap number isn't that large for this year but if he plays well they won't be able to afford him. And then he'll walk and they'll have nothing to show for it.

Someone will give up a 2nd for him I believe. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Should he be the highest played defensive player in the NFL? Absolutely. Would I (as a GM) be the one to give him that contract? Probably not because of the ACL.
What player hasn't returned well from an ACL injury? Until more players show some proof that you can come back much worse from that injury then you've got to look at the most recent players. I'm not even talking about Adrian Peterson, but even guys like Wes Welker who rely on quickness, agility, lateral cuts, how different do they look today? Besides when your talking about a HOF type of guy, you bet on those guys. Revis is one of the CB's who will play well into his 30's and I think if you don't rush the rehab he's going to look just like the old player.

An ACL injury sucks because it's a year long absence but I hardly ever consider anyone to have any lingering effects anymore. That seems to be more of the rare instance while players recovering and getting back to 100% seems at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
What player hasn't returned well from an ACL injury? Until more players show some proof that you can come back much worse from that injury then you've got to look at the most recent players. I'm not even talking about Adrian Peterson, but even guys like Wes Welker who rely on quickness, agility, lateral cuts, how different do they look today? Besides when your talking about a HOF type of guy, you bet on those guys. Revis is one of the CB's who will play well into his 30's and I think if you don't rush the rehab he's going to look just like the old player.

An ACL injury sucks because it's a year long absence but I hardly ever consider anyone to have any lingering effects anymore. That seems to be more of the rare instance while players recovering and getting back to 100% seems at this point.
I mean, even without the injury it would be a tough sell for me to shell out that kind of dough for a defensive player. The ACL is just kinda the kicker. He definitely should get the money and could very well be worth it, I just don't know that I'd be the team to give it to him. If I'm a contender though, I might bite.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way I'd pay a CB that much money in a league that so tailored to spreading the field out with a ton of targets. You really want that much tied up in one guy at a position so far away from the ball? Maybe if I played Calvin Johnson 16 times per year.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Teams with a **** ton of cap room (aka revis targets)

1) Bengals 55 Mil in cap space Which means they have to spend 15 million per year to keep themselves at the cap floor but they did just draft Dre Kirkpatrick in round 1 so I doubt they consider CB a need.

2) Cleveland 49 mil in cap space They are a team desperate to get back to relevancy they already have a top tier #1 CB in Joe Haden and a decent #2 Revis would be a welcome addition but of course they would be much more interested in getting a WR (read Dwayne Bowe) in free agency and keep their draft picks.

3) Indianapolis Colts 46 Mil in cap space - The Colts could be the proper fit for Revis they are a team with few starters going to free agency three or four depending on if they wish to keep powers. Stanton would be one they wish to keep as a good vet backup and could improve on the offensive line but they have ample coin and draft picks to make this happen specially if Revis doesn't cost more than a pair of seconds then they could have a deadly 1-3
CB crew. But it seems less likely than you'd think with Vonte Davis on the roster and they already gave a second round selection.

Its really tough the teams that could really use Revis have a lack of either draft resources or cap resources the teams with both are in the AFC east. The only hope is Tampa Bay who may have too much money in the CB position.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
No way I'd pay a CB that much money in a league that so tailored to spreading the field out with a ton of targets. You really want that much tied up in one guy at a position so far away from the ball? Maybe if I played Calvin Johnson 16 times per year.
But in a pass happy league don't you want the best CB? I understand what you are saying though. I mean unless the rest of your defense is absolutely terrible I understand. He makes someone other than the best WR beat you.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

6 years/100 mil with 50 guaranteed? Absolutely not. Generally, I don't support tying up that much cap on any non-QB player. That's how you **** yourself at a bunch of other positions. Way too much cap room and guaranteed money for a corner...especially one who's coming off of an ACL tear. You can get two fringe pro bowl corners for that much. What happens if your one guy taking up all of that cap does down for the year? And how can anyone justify paying that much money to shut down one receiving option when most teams that you need good corners for have at least 3-4 guys worth throwing to, anyway?

The only two defenders in the league that I'd even consider paying that much for right now are JJ Watt and Von Miller. They have maybe triple the impact of Revis over the course of a season.

If my GM gave any corner in the league that much money, I'd pitch a fit. If anyone does this, they'll be a huge joke. No team in the league is complete enough with enough cap room for that to be a good option. Maybe if you manage to get 15 or 16 really good starters on rookie contracts...but if you're that good at drafting, just draft the star corner.

The team that's closest to the situation this would be right for (good, cheap team with a ton of cap room) is Indy, but they'd be MUCH better off upgrading multiple positions than the one corner spot. That would be a much safer...and almost certainly more effective...way to go tan blowing their wad on Revis.

This idea is just as crazy as paying running backs 10 mil a year.

On a not-quite-related note, if I were a Jets fan, I would absolutely support moving Revis to the highest bidder. With the cap situation they're in, the right move is to blow up the roster and unload high-paid vets, anyway. They should just write off 2013 and 2014 with an eye toward being a force in 2015. They couldn't sign Revis next offseason to the contract he wants even if they did blow up the roster.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-26-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
But in a pass happy league don't you want the best CB? I understand what you are saying though. I mean unless the rest of your defense is absolutely terrible I understand. He makes someone other than the best WR beat you.
I would like it, just not at the cost. There is just no way he can compare to someone like JJ Watt. It's like paying Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson the same money as Tom Brady to me...
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
This idea is just as crazy as paying running backs 10 mil a year.
Ya, AP is over paid for sure.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
Ya, AP is over paid for sure.
He is. That money would have been better spent on NotChristianPonder at QB. They have one of the best left tackles in the league. They have one of the best centers in the league. Their right tackle is above average. If they'd quit giving Fusco the snaps that should have gone to Schwartz, they could make a lot of RBs look good. Not AP good, but good enough.

Hell, Alex Smith + Toby Gerhardt > Christian Ponder + AP.

What would be great for them would be to sign Joe Flacco if the Ravens tag him, but now they can't afford to without cutting a starter or two because their RB is making QB money.

Spending significant money on the most replaceable, most injury-prone, shortest lifespan position in pro football is an inefficient way of allocating your resources. It's the least safe, least "bang-for-your-buck" position on the field.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-27-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He is. That money would have been better spent on NotChristianPonder at QB. They have one of the best left tackles in the league. They have one of the best centers in the league. Their right tackle is above average. If they'd quit giving Fusco the snaps that should have gone to Schwartz, they could make a lot of RBs look good. Not AP good, but good enough.

What would be great for them would be to sign Joe Flacco if the Ravens tag him, but now they can't afford to without cutting a starter or two because their RB is making QB money.

Spending significant money on the most replaceable, most injury-prone, shortest lifespan position in pro football is an inefficient way of allocating your resources. It's the least safe, least "bang-for-your-buck" position on the field.
That's a stretch. I think its ok to pay the special RBs big money. Alex Smith and Toby Gerhart are not taking the Vikings to the play offs. Part of the problem in Minny was they were missing Percy Harvin. If you throw Harvin and a healthy Ponder in that playoff game against GB I think they have a shot.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. Darrelle Revis is a luxury, not a necessity. You don't pay a cornerback that amount of money. You don't build your franchise around a corner. Especially one coming off an ACL injury. The Jets finished 9th in YPA via the pass this season without Revis. That money should be invested in other positions around the team. How many more wins do the Jets have this season with Revis? Maybe 1 more? They still aren't a playoff team. And it's not like the front seven is a dominant force either. Is having Revis on the team a sure lock for the Jets to make the playoffs? I heard Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike the other day. He wanted to start a petition to keep Revis on the team because he's their best player. What Mike doesn't understand is that even if you have the best corner in the league on your team, it really doesn't matter if you don't have an offense. And he said the only way he'd want to get rid of Revis is if he could get Aaron Rodger or Colin Kaepernick in return. Paying Revis a boatload of money is just going to put the Jets further in the toilet.

As for the gap between him and the next best corner in the NFL, interesting report conducted by PFF the other day:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...arrelle-revis/

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He won't get this deal till he shows he's fully back from the ACL. No way do I think a team will give him a 6 year deal. I would do a 4 year 50 million with 42 mill guaranteed. Paying out 30 million over the first two years.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

There is always an exception to every rule. Adrian Peterson is an exception in every sense of the word. But this:

Quote:
Alex Smith + Toby Gerhardt > Christian Ponder + AP

Is pretty laughable. When did Alex Smith become good? The same guy who hit free agency and couldn't even muster up a visit? The same guy that Miami didn't want, Kansas City didn't call, and a slow ass back-up RB who fumbles the ball is more valuable then an all time great at RB? Come on man. That's one of the most ridiculous statements ever. If you are lucky enough to have drafted a guy like Adrian Peterson, you pay him market value. He creates instant offense, carries an offense on his back and hell, he's a hall of famer.

The fact that you'd choose two sorry ass players in Alex Smith and Toby Gerhart kinda kills whatever point you were trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A great corner completes a defense, he doesn't 'make' it.

When the Broncos first traded for Champ Bailey, Mike SHanahan thought he was one player away from another SB run.

That trade happened in 2004.
Since then Shanny has been fired and the Broncos have only managed to win two playoff games and haven't come close to sniffing another SB.

Revis' agents should be selling him as a mercenary type player, like WCH suggested.
That way a legit SB contender could buy his services for a couple years without blowing up their cap.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With as good. Revis is good enough to essentially remove the other teams best receiver. And while that is an incredible feat that not many other people can accomplish, it's irrelevant in today's game if you can't cover the 2-4 other capable receiving targets teams have built these days.

I don't think I'd make him highest paid player. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but with a cap I'd rather balance what I was paying my corners and get 2-3 solid guys rather than one guy like Revis. If there was no cap Id give him anything to keep him. He's worth whatever he asks for since he's one of a very elite few the can do what he does.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trading Darrelle Revis would quite simply be the most idiotic thing that the Jets have done during the RR era (and that is saying something).

There are 3 rationales I have seen as to why the Jets should trade Revis and none of them make a whole lot of sense.

1) The Jets are in cap trouble and can't afford to pay Darrelle Revis

This quite simply is stupid. The Jets are in cap trouble because they paid a thumping inside LB, a #2 wideout, and one of the worst QB's in the league all in excess of $10 million a year. Plus they backloaded a bunch of deals which made them very difficult to cut. They could simply wait a year and save $20 million by cutting those 3 replaceable overpaid players, or they could trade the best player in franchise history, who is one of the 10 or so non-QB's in the league who can fundamentally change games with his extraordinary talents.

Everybody on here always says you don't pay position X- $Y amount of dollars. However, for teams that don't have franchise QB's who are going to cost them >$20 million a year why does it matter? Yes maybe the Pats, Giants, Broncos, Saints, Packers, and Steelers can't afford to take on a guy like Darrelle Revis, but the Jets certainly can. Even with a monster contract he's not the one preventing them from getting a franchise QB. Best case scenario they find their QBOTF in the draft, then they control his rights for 5 years at a lowish salary. By the time the QB is up for his second contract Revis's contract will be done or nearly done, and will not be a factor anyways.

As of right now he's their identity. When teams go to play the Jets their first priority is finding a way to function on offense that doesn't involve attacking Darrelle Revis. That's a pretty damn important asset to have. Simply by being on the field Revis takes opposing teams out of their comfort zones. I've seen many times how uncomfortable QB's become when they realize that they can't hit their primary receiver on the routes that they excel at throwing. It's a huge problem, and it really does rattle them oftentimes resulting in overall erratic play.

2) The Jets had a good pass defense without Darrelle Revis last season.

While this is true to an extent, they played a schedule post-Revis full of just awful QB's. Also, the Jets were comically blown out multiple times which limited many teams to throwing far less than they could have. In fact QB's had the best rating against them they've ever had during the Rex Ryan era, and this was with a supposedly substantial upgrade at safety.

So if the Jets do trade Revis what do they have left in the secondary? They have Cromartie who played exceptional last season, but has been somewhat inconsistent of playing at that level during his entire career. Is it reasonable to expect him to play that well again? Also, Bell and Landry are free agents, and are old and injury prone respectively. Kyle Wilson isn't that good, but Lankster and Trufant played better than I expected them to.

The pass defense has been the Jets bread and butter since RR got there. They've had multiple seasons with opposing QB ratings below 70, but I don't think they'll remain dominant in that area without Revis. Can they be above average, probably. However, I don't think opposing teams are going to continue to lose sleep thinking about how they're going to throw on the Jets without Revis there.

3) The Jets need picks to rebuild

I do agree with this. However, should these picks come at the cost of one of the 4 really good building blocks you already have on your roster? The Jets need to have a couple of good drafts in the worst way, but volume of picks doesn't necessarily make good drafts a certainty. The Jets for once in their life should be prudent. They don't need to make a franchise changing move that nets them a ton of picks at the expense of their best player. It could turn out like the Herschel Walker trade, or it could be the Jay Cutler trade nobody knows at this point. It will likely turn out somewhere in the middle, but there are no mulligans once you trade a player like Revis. You'll never find an adequate replacement if you struggle without him. If they trade anyone they should trade Cro. He'll get nowhere near the overall haul that Revis will, but he'll accomplish 1 & 2, and he's more replaceable anyways.

Personally I'd love to have Revis out of the division. He's the best opposing player in the AFC East since Marino, and is a true franchise type talent. While it's easy to say you don't pay a $13 million dollar guy $16 million, if not doing so is going to cost you your identity and your absolute advantage you suck it up and do it. You can always have one less Eric Smith, Tim Tebow, or Kyle Wilson to make up that difference.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 01-27-2013 at 09:41 AM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote