Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Senior Bowl Impressions

A lot of things I came away with:

At WR I really like Marquise Goodwin as a slot WR. He was marginally productive in college, plus good return men have diminished value, but the dude can fly, showed good enough hands, and is a stronger than advertised runner with the ball in his hands. I think he might have elevated his stock to 3rd round value. I would be happy to add him to our offense and have him occasionally line up outside as well. His skillset (speed, quickness) are completely different to the lumbering brute longstriders we have now.

On defense, who doesn't love Desmond Trufant? I mentioned him as the CB I would want in round 2... I doubt he will be there now. He's got speed, aggressiveness, the feet, and the attitude it takes to succeed on the next level. He's elevated himself into the last half of round 1. I wouldn't be at all opposed to trading down to nab Trufant. I think he is a solid starter from day 1.

Datone Jones really impressed me. Mayock and Davis were raving about him being a base 4-3 DE or 5-tech... I wouldn't mind seeing him as a swing DE/DT. I think he's strong enough (he's far bigger than Melton was coming out) to get plenty of quality snaps inside at 3-tech. He consistently beat blockers with speed, technique, and power. His has the hands to survive inside as well. He may be a fringe 1st rounder at this point.

CB Jordan Poyer looks like a playmaker. He is a solid 2nd rounder at this point. He wasn't perfect in practice, but he was good, he was very good in the game.

S Duke Williams really flies around putting his helmet on people. He's aggressive and has schematic versatility.

LB Khasseem Greene didn't have a great week or a great game... but I loved this guy with Rutgers and I believe that he's exactly the type of ILB Schiano would love to add to this team. Whether Greene would take over at Mike or David would move and Greene would be the Will, I don't know. But it's hard to imagine that Schiano and co. don't covet him in round 2.

DE Ezekial Ansah didn't show a whole lot during the week. After practices were over I think he fell out of round 1. After watching the game I think he re-established himself as a 1st rounder. He is NOT an edge rusher despite his speed and athleticism. He has ZERO plan as a pass rusher, opting to run straight into the blocker and go after the QB. It's quite possible that that, along with his athleticism and upside will be enough to elevate him back into round 1.

Other guys I like:

CB Sanders Commings of Georgia, one of the few Georgia players on D that didn't embarrass themselves this week. (the safeties were terrible). He didn't stand out, but with his size (6' 220 lbs) and athleticism, he could be a stud at FS or as a coverage SS in the NFL.

OT David Quessenberry-they kept projecting him to OG... I think he could be a RT. He's a little light, but is strong and athletic.

OT Jordan Mills-looks like an NFL-caliber OT.

DT Brandon Williams-didn't have great practices or games but he has a skillset that can't be taught. He is strong and fast and could be a huge additon to the DT rotation.

DT Kawann Short-very good movement skills for DT. Likely late 1st rounder.

CB BW Webb was solid all week. Showed good enough speed and athleticism to warrant consideration in top half of draft.

LB Sio Moore had a good week and strong game. As a former Big Easter he is likely on Schiano's radar.

LB Steve Beauharnais was better than advertised. I want to see what he runs because I don't think he was given enough credit for his athleticism.

LB Zaviar Gooden was what we thought he was, an athletic LB that ran well and made plays in coverage. He would be great value on special teams if he was still around after round 3.

WR Denard Robinson, though some might say he had a terrible week, I think he was hurt. In the game he showed his competitiveness. It's possible he really hurt his stock. I saw him as a 3rd rounder BEFORE the game... now he looks like a 5th or 6th rounder, which I would be happy to add him for that price. I think he has a ton of upside.

Who hurt themselves?

DE Margus Hunt was lost. There was talk that he could be taken in round 1, I said no matter how well he tested, because of his age, he shouldn't go higher than round 2 and because of his lack of production at SMU, he looked like a 3rd rounder. Based on his week in Mobile, 3rd round is looking optimistic. Like Ansah, he had no plan, unlike Ansah he gets no push, he also can't get off blocks and doesn't play up to his athletic measurables. He changed direction very slowly, had very poor recognition skills, made the same mistakes repeatedly, struggled to hold the point of attack. Based on his tape and week of practice and game, he looks no better than a late round pick. But because he will likely blow up the combine and his ability to block kicks, I see him eventually resettling into the 3rd/4th round range.

OT Oday Aboushi-as a UVa fan, I wondered how he gained an invite. After watching him in practice he solidified my suspicions that he stinks. Slow, weak, bad technique, he has a good frame, plenty of experience, I don't see him going before the 6th round.

DE Michael Buchanan looks like a prototype RDE but he lacks burst and strength. He couldn't disengage or create space with his speed, nor could he effective use power to move his man. He looks like he will have to be a 3-4 OLB and be freed up schematically to ever be a factor as a pass rusher.

Some DBs that really stood out for not being good: S Robert Lester was terrible. The Georgia safeties were awful. I wasn't impressed in the practice with either UConn CB, though both had good games.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On some of the things brasho you mentioned above:

Things I liked:
- I've always been a fan of Poyer and think he'll be a stud. He just has a knack for being around the football and making plays.

- I'm glad I got to see Trufant this week. I rarely got a chance to watch much of his tape. He looked good in the few games I watched him, but boy, Senior Bowl week and game, he really stood out. Very physical CB who can play Man, Cover 2 and 3. May not be the playmaker Poyer is, but he can lock down defenders at the next level. Probably earned him self a spot in between picks 25-40 range.

-Ziggy Ansah is a beast. I think he can be a dominate pass rusher. He's still raw, and with his size, speed, strength and athleticism, an NFL coaching staff will develop him into a very good football player. I would not be disappointed if Tampa took him at 13. None what so ever.

- Agree with Goodwin. Like him a lot. Had him as a sleeper on day 3, but he could be had in round 3.

- Someone who you didn't mention: EJ Manuel. He really impressed me. His vision, pocket presence, accuracy and touch in the game yesterday. By no means is he ready to start immediately in the NFL. But I would not be against Dominik and Schiano taking this kid as a back up option and have Sully develop him. Seems very smart and mature as well. His skill set and maturation compares similar to that of Colin Kaepernick. Is he the next Kaepernick and will he have his exact success? Won't go that far. But he needs some things in his game that needs to be defined. Josh Freeman is under the spot light and Schiano and Dom need a plan B. Their are things I like about Manuel's game and things that need work. But alot of him reminds me of Kaepernick coming out as a prospect.

-Agree with you on Short. He was a beast.
- Michael Buchannon had his moments, but he was inconsistent. He's more of an edge rusher in the 3-4 it seems.
- Datone Jones looked impressive, but what complicates things here is he didn't look all that great this year for UCLA. Not sure if it was because he was out of position or the talent on the dline in front of him.

-100% agree on Margus Hunt. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

- The rest of the QBs: Glennon was inconsistent. It seemed like he and the WRs weren't on the same page. Timing seemed off, but showed some things.

- Ryan Nassib was horrible. I know it's difficult for QBs to light it up in the senior bowl. They're working with new WRs and chemistry and timing won't be their. But Nassib just didn't look good. His pocket presence, he seemed to have happy feet, similar to Blaine Gabbert (not good). He stared down his WR too often. That INT, he stared down the WR and their were 3 defenders in the area. Makes me wonder if he has difficulty reading a defense.

- Tyler Wilson's arm strength has been overrated. WOW. He threw some ducks.

- Agree with you on Robert Lester. I was laughing when some said he was better than Mark Barron. Lester was awful.

- BW Webb was pretty good, along with Robert Alford. COuld be mid-round picks option.

-Agree with Brandon Williams. Could provide good depth and long term starter potential.

Kyle Long showed great blend of power and footwork at Tackle. Could be an option for us in round 2.

- TJ McDonald is vastly overrated. Couldn't get his hips turned around in coverage and got beat by the 280LB Michael Williams on a corner route.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting beat by Williams wasn't as bad as most thought. At least he was there, he just had to make a play on the ball. He was okay, I thought. Everything else I have to agree with.

I was also impressed with Manuel, which I didn't think was possible.

I was actually impressed with Tyler WIlson's arm strength, I thought going in that he didn't have much,. he had a few throws that surprised me.

Overall, none of the QBs but Manuel had a good game. I'm not worried about that. It's hard for a QB to look great in this game... Christian Ponder won MVP last year based on an eephus pitch toss that should've been picked but Hankerson was so far past the defender that he came down with it anyways. I think Manuel looked tons better than Ponder did anyways. The bad QB performances I think you can sweep under the rug.

I'm not impressed with Nassib either... but I hope for his sake the interception wasn't because he couldn't read a D... there were only 3 they could run and they definitely weren't in cover 2. I just think he chucked it. I don't know.

Quick question: What were you thinking about Ansah BEFORE the game and after all the practices? I was completely disappointed but then he really lit it up in the game. Makes you wonder if what he CAN do combined with what he COULD do might elevate him into top 16.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always been impressed by Ansah. I watched the practices, and got mixed opinions and saw mixed reviews by other "experts" and analysts. He definately needs to work on technique, but it's improving. Under an NFL coaching staff, I think it will develop. He's got a non stop motor and just a beast. The similarities to JPP are their.

Manuel I need to go back to some games and watch. But I really like his poise. He's got tremendous upside and his game is very similar to Kaepernick and his skill set is very reminiscent. Is he going to be the next Kaepernick? Not necessarily, but I think Manuel is a guy who needs to carry a clipboard for a year or 2, but the rewards could be very High.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
I've always been impressed by Ansah. I watched the practices, and got mixed opinions and saw mixed reviews by other "experts" and analysts. He definately needs to work on technique, but it's improving. Under an NFL coaching staff, I think it will develop. He's got a non stop motor and just a beast. The similarities to JPP are their.

Manuel I need to go back to some games and watch. But I really like his poise. He's got tremendous upside and his game is very similar to Kaepernick and his skill set is very reminiscent. Is he going to be the next Kaepernick? Not necessarily, but I think Manuel is a guy who needs to carry a clipboard for a year or 2, but the rewards could be very High.
I don't really see the comparison to CK... okay, maybe from a physical gift standpoint, but I see them as QBs way differently. I saw CK as a much better athlete as far as a speed and arm talent goes. I also know CK was a football junkie and workaholic. Despite his workaholic traits, I always saw CK playing fast, loose, and free. Manuel I see as more of a tradtional QB. He is very methodical, almost robotic at times. Although he is not in CK's class as an athlete, I also don't see him being as willing to use his athleticism as a matter of instinct. CK has just always played so fast and free while Manuel usually seems mechanical.

Still, I was impressed with Manuel, far more impressed with him than I've ever been. As far as who I would compare him with as a QB... Kind of a more athletic Trent Dilfer... don't laugh, but that's who I see. Good arm, good size, better speed than Dilfer, but robotic.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Another Aaron Murray fan?

Give us your thoughts on Revis, oh Queen of the Dumb Dumbs.