Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, the site is what it is, the look may change but the content isn't likely to change a whole lot.
1) it is a free site
2) Scott attends the Senior Bowl so we get some real tidbits
3) Scott actually interviews some prospects
4) Scott does a very solid job of predicting a top 100 which makes his rankings/prospect analysis, worth reviewing
5) He does a lot of little things to keep our interest up, such as pod casts and mocks

I've probably missed something but this is the essence of Scott's site which makes it popular and keeps me returning. Sure, Scott has made some real blunders but so has every GM and scout in the NFL, but I find him right on far more than any other site I have visited.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
IMO, the site is what it is, the look may change but the content isn't likely to change a whole lot.
1) it is a free site
2) Scott attends the Senior Bowl so we get some real tidbits
3) Scott actually interviews some prospects
4) Scott does a very solid job of predicting a top 100 which makes his rankings/prospect analysis, worth reviewing
5) He does a lot of little things to keep our interest up, such as pod casts and mocks

I've probably missed something but this is the essence of Scott's site which makes it popular and keeps me returning. Sure, Scott has made some real blunders but so has every GM and scout in the NFL, but I find him right on far more than any other site I have visited.
No offense to Scott, he's been doing this as long as anyone out there, but at this point he's helped to inspire a whole lot of others. I know of at least 20 sites that put out free content, were at the Senior Bowl, and keep readers enthralled with mocks, rankings, and more.

Scott Wright's edge over other draft sites, what they wish they had: this forum community. Take a minute to browse the web and check out some other draft sites (for research purposes of course). They may have more in terms of scouting content, All-Star game practice notes (some sites send guys out to the Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, Texas vs. Nation), player interactions/interviews, but no one has this strong a forum community.

As I said, I'm not here to criticize. I just think there could be more done to show the community some love.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
CrossOfDeath
Rookie

CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
also, CrossofDeath, go back and read your thread. there's actually a good safety debate going on in there. I'm not sure where you're getting this "everyone jumped on me and hurt my feelings" angle. 2 people did.

And honestly, yeah, there's going to be a "pecking order" here. it's just like life. If you know your stuff and present good arguments, you're going to gain respect and acknowledgement. the reason this site has gone empty in terms of football is because it's getting watered down with trolls and people with the football IQ of a chair.
1. Pretty sure I said a few people made comments. If I said everyone jumped to put me down sorry, but I mean a few. It was 1 post by 1 guy who decided to flame me after my first post and it was only a few in the Vaccaro thread. Either way you look at it the complete lack of respect for on this forum is what has led to its down fall. I remember when this board was filled to the gills and now a thread will stay on the first page for almost a month. Does it hurt my feelings when someone calls me an idiot on an internet board? No, but I have the right not to take it so I found a much better and respectable board.

2. No. It doesn't matter whether you know your stuff or not it is whether or not your idiots and opinions fit in with the masses. I have known several posters over the years who have been right over and over and over again only to be flammed because there opinions down fit the norm at the right time. Example run from a poster who was calling Brandon Jacobs a future star and should be a 2nd round pick. That guy clearly knew what he was talking about, however, it was too early for the masses to accept it. The same things can be said for a poster I knew who was screaming about Connor Barwin's potential and labeling him a 2nd round pick in October. Everyone said he didn't know what he was talking about even though 6 months later he was right. I know of posters who said J.J. Watt should be a Top 5 pick and got laughed at I know of a poster who said Chandler Jones was a 1st rounder when he declared and everyone laughed in Janurary but in April he was right. I could go on and on and on. You have to have the opinions that fit the right now or you don't know anything on boards like this one. Funny too because the people flaming these posters are always the people who are wrong over and over again but too proud to admit it.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A guy who claimed Brandon Jacobs should be a future 2nd round pick and a future star was right and "knew what he was talking about?"
Oh.

And everyone can go on and on about their draft hits and misses. Why are you so high and mighty about it? I got shrugged off when I said the McCourty's were going to be good NFL players (i get it, Devin's struggled, but still). I was called a homer when I said Ray Rice would be a super stud in the league. BUT, i didn't get all offended at it and blame the pecking order, it's the nature of the draft and the internet.

and on the Vaccaro thread, the first post was ignorant, but a very nice discussion about this safety class developed from it, so I'm not really sure where you're going with that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I typically stay away from these topics but this needs to be said:

Where are all the new added features and content that was promised? What's the new excuse this year?

Every year we hear an excuse why the website is grossly mismanaged and why the content is severely lacking with the promise that "next year" is gonna be better. And what happens? Same **** every year.

Look, I'm here for the forums and that's it. But I'm not an idiot, so I don't appreciate being lied to. If you're gonna half ass the main website then let it be. Don't keep promising content that you have no intention of providing just to keep people hanging.

It worked the first time. It worked the second time. But after 3 years of broken promises people will move on. Just saying.

I'm personally here for the forum to kill time and discuss football with ppl I oddly enough have grown to admire (even though the feeling typically isn't mutual). That's why I'm here. But you're alienating your most loyal members with constantly promising content then failing to deliver.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A guy who claimed Brandon Jacobs should be a future 2nd round pick and a future star was right and "knew what he was talking about?"
Oh.

And everyone can go on and on about their draft hits and misses. Why are you so high and mighty about it? I got shrugged off when I said the McCourty's were going to be good NFL players (i get it, Devin's struggled, but still). I was called a homer when I said Ray Rice would be a super stud in the league. BUT, i didn't get all offended at it and blame the pecking order, it's the nature of the draft and the internet.

and on the Vaccaro thread, the first post was ignorant, but a very nice discussion about this safety class developed from it, so I'm not really sure where you're going with that one

Wait, you say that about every Rutgers players...well after Greg Schino took over, I didn't hear anything before that.

Hows Mike Teal doing?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
CrossOfDeath
Rookie

CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrossOfDeath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not about hits and misses its about the flaming for opinions that don't fit the norm and it happens far more often than not. A lot of those posters I mentiond were right far more often than the one time I mentioned. They were right far more often than those giving them grief about there opinions.

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty about it. I don't have any kind of power to change anything. I am just stating that is one of the biggest reasons why this board has taken the dive it has over the years. You said it yourself "that first post was ignorant" well there have been a lot of those post over the years that have driven off very intellegent football posters.

I see your join date was 2007. I left before then so I have no idea what this board has been like since you arrived but before I left this was a very booming board with a lot of discussion every day. Its as close to dead as you can get without being dead right now and the discussion we are having right now its the biggest reason why IMO.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Wait, you say that about every Rutgers players...well after Greg Schino took over, I didn't hear anything before that.

Hows Mike Teal doing?
except:

A) I haven't. In case you never saw it, there's a thread I made bashing Mike.

B) It's Mike Teel

C) People with reading comprehension know when I'm ACTUALLY pimping a prospect and when I'm just being troll scotty

and Cross, it's the internet. I don't know what you really expect. If you think you got "flamed" in the Kenny thread, then I don't know what to tell you. Hell, a good chunk of time you're going to be putting down a player who posters have investment in (IE same school). You're gonna get flamed, it's gonna happen. Welcome to the internet.

If you've found a message board where everyone says "I respectfully disagree"...well honestly, it's probably pretty boring, but more power to you.

I've learned more from posters on this board (members) about football and prospects than you'll find elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I keeeeed.

why you get a so mad?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scotty has covered what I needed to say

Last edited by pierce2walker : 01-28-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're gonna get flamed, it's gonna happen. Welcome to the internet.
This. The internet was drunk one night and told me that people need a thick skin sometimes all the frickin time if they want to hang out with him.

Quote:
If you've found a message board where everyone says "I respectfully disagree"...well honestly, it's probably pretty boring, but more power to you.
That sounds awful.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to create a thread saying Datone Jones should go top 5...but you can't flame me because in 2003 I said Anquan Boldin was going to be a great pick pick so I OBVIOUSLY know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Must agree with the overall sentiment of the thread. Site was on the rise and then fell off. Never any site improvements, content has declined, those who run the site don't interact on the forum, etc.. the initial post seems to have had it right. Scott losy motivation.

Next Up: 2012
Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lot of good points made. I hope it's not a permanent good bye Pudge. I'm guilty of being more lenient "mod wise" towards long time posters, but I approach it like they deserve it. I do think there are problems with many of our team forums being inactive, but simply put we can't compete with the rest of the internet in terms of what can be found elsewhere. Our niche is attracting draft fans.. and having more of a small knit family oriented community. I like to treat everyone like family. Obviously not everyone will get along and people will irk each other, but I like to think we're pretty good as a whole.

I get the sense from those who want to pursue a career in this field that they are being held down/ignored/unappreciated. But I dunno, if this were my site, would I feel like it's my responsibility to groom understudies? As an admin I love the knowledgeable folks out there who contribute to the forums. I think the community recognizes who you are and I would think that would be enough. But if you want even more exposure, I think the way to do it is through the hard work of your own start up. Not piggy backing your way through articles on the main site, building up a name for yourself and then branching off. If I'm misunderstanding the desire, I apologize, but it sounds like some people want that.

As for the content of the site, is it really that bad? Scott's never promoted himself as an NFL scout. I feel like some people want very detailed top level scouting reports, but heck, NFL teams have whole departments for that and Scott is just one guy. I do think there are improvements that can be made, but I also think each year, the site continues to get better too.

No doubt, the best part of this site for me is the forum community. Honestly, I love you guys. Even those that have grudges against me for whatever reason, I love you too. If I can help make this place better for you guys, hit me up anytime!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Lot of good points made. I hope it's not a permanent good bye Pudge. I'm guilty of being more lenient "mod wise" towards long time posters, but I approach it like they deserve it. I do think there are problems with many of our team forums being inactive, but simply put we can't compete with the rest of the internet in terms of what can be found elsewhere. Our niche is attracting draft fans.. and having more of a small knit family oriented community. I like to treat everyone like family. Obviously not everyone will get along and people will irk each other, but I like to think we're pretty good as a whole.

I get the sense from those who want to pursue a career in this field that they are being held down/ignored/unappreciated. But I dunno, if this were my site, would I feel like it's my responsibility to groom understudies? As an admin I love the knowledgeable folks out there who contribute to the forums. I think the community recognizes who you are and I would think that would be enough. But if you want even more exposure, I think the way to do it is through the hard work of your own start up. Not piggy backing your way through articles on the main site, building up a name for yourself and then branching off. If I'm misunderstanding the desire, I apologize, but it sounds like some people want that.

As for the content of the site, is it really that bad? Scott's never promoted himself as an NFL scout. I feel like some people want very detailed top level scouting reports, but heck, NFL teams have whole departments for that and Scott is just one guy. I do think there are improvements that can be made, but I also think each year, the site continues to get better too.

No doubt, the best part of this site for me is the forum community. Honestly, I love you guys. Even those that have grudges against me for whatever reason, I love you too. If I can help make this place better for you guys, hit me up anytime!
Forums do get better...well in waves, so I guess you could say the site gets better.

But the scouting reports have took a nose dive, i don't know if thats cause podcast are the new thing since its another revenue stream. But before the scouting reports were detailed and slowly over the years there have been less and less and less info(streamlined) I guess.

What happened to the site relaunch?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
CrossOfDeath
Rookie

scotty,

Again, in regards to the Kenny thread, I didn't say I was flammed. Like you said it was a few ignorant posters. Also like you said it is the internet and anyone is allowed to us it.

No I have not found a site where people say "repectfully disagree", however, I have found a site where the vast majority are much more open minded and respectful to all posters.

I understand it is the internet and people will get heated due to same school or favorite players and the such(a good scout will take his heart out of the debate but that is another topic). I am just saying it is was far worse on this site and it led to a huge down fall. Again I don't know what it was like in 2007 but back when I was on here the discussions where so numerous you left the site for day and that topic already on page 2 or 3. Now the same topic will be on the first page for weeks.

If you think there is another reason why the board has fallen so hard I'd gladly listen.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossOfDeath View Post
scotty,

Again, in regards to the Kenny thread, I didn't say I was flammed. Like you said it was a few ignorant posters. Also like you said it is the internet and anyone is allowed to us it.

No I have not found a site where people say "repectfully disagree", however, I have found a site where the vast majority are much more open minded and respectful to all posters.

I understand it is the internet and people will get heated due to same school or favorite players and the such(a good scout will take his heart out of the debate but that is another topic). I am just saying it is was far worse on this site and it led to a huge down fall. Again I don't know what it was like in 2007 but back when I was on here the discussions where so numerous you left the site for day and that topic already on page 2 or 3. Now the same topic will be on the first page for weeks.

If you think there is another reason why the board has fallen so hard I'd gladly listen.
Regarding the Vacarro thread i did make the remark about staying off the hootch. That is what you call trying to be humorous. As for the comments they were fairly mixed and pretty respectful for the most part. Time to develope a little thicker skin i would say.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
a guest column thing would be gnarly. Like have a fan do a writeup on a player from their team. like a once a week thing or something. (cough cough I could do Khaseem Green cough cough)
This sounds too much like Bleacher Report. No one should want this site to become more like Bleacher Report. That would surely be the death of Draft Countdown.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think people really just want scouting reports at all. There are currently only 6 scouting reports up right now. I came here originally because of those reports and I stayed because the forums were interesting. I think the complete lack of reports is causing a decline in new visitors and new forum members. I like the other content that is being put up, but the scouting reports are the meat and potatoes that this site runs on. The forums are consistently the best part of this site now. The site and the forums have clearly declined in the past couple years.

I wouldn't fret too much about the hive mind and flaming that happens sometimes. It's just part of the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think the draft content effectively pulls people in, I still believe Scott does high quality work with mock drafts and what not, but as long as I've known this site the niche has been retention. We didn't stay because we were hanging on the edge of our seats waiting for the next mock draft or rankings update, it was because we found a family here. During the years I was here there was no better place to talk football or talk NFL Draft as far as I am concerned, and it was due to this tight knit community.

I never wanted to piggy back Scott, but it bothered me a little that I was not receiving any respect/acknowledgement whatsoever. Though I am not so full of myself that I'd actually believe I drove any traffic to the site, I think I supplied some damn good NFL Draft work around these parts, many times in the absence of updates/analysis on the main page. Eventually, as you said, to get the desired exposure and to be taken seriously I had to branch out.

Honestly, and I understand your view here, but if I were running a website: I would care about the people that spent hours, days, weeks of their lives on the site. And if a kid, who pretty much idolized me, showed initiative and passion maybe I wouldn't necessarily take him under my wing, but I'd give him the time of day!

Do I think anyone who wants to write for the main page should be given the opportunity? No, of course not. Still, there are other ways (like those I previously suggested) that would help keep everyone happy and help keep this community together.

(Once again, I'm not here bashing Scott. I come in peace.)

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
CrossOfDeath
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Regarding the Vacarro thread i did make the remark about staying off the hootch. That is what you call trying to be humorous. As for the comments they were fairly mixed and pretty respectful for the most part. Time to develope a little thicker skin i would say.
Terrible attemt at being funny, but okay. And again did I leave or get into it with you over that comment? Didn't think so. I moved on the second I was finished reading just like I moved on from my warm welcome in the Catapano thread when the first poster to greet me was rude. I am simply making a point that the over all lack of repsect on this board is the reason so many have left. On a scale from 1-100 your comment and the other comments I have got in my bried return rank anywhere from 1-9 basically no big deal like you said. It is when the comment get more frequent and get more into the personal attackts and then poster A and poster B team up on poster C and it makes him look bad on the entire forum. When it gets to that some really intellegent posters get fed up with it and leave.

Again if you think there is another reason why this board has died over the last 8 years I'd like to hear it.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
I think the draft content effectively pulls people in, I still believe Scott does high quality work with mock drafts and what not, but as long as I've known this site the niche has been retention. We didn't stay because we were hanging on the edge of our seats waiting for the next mock draft or rankings update, it was because we found a family here. During the years I was here there was no better place to talk football or talk NFL Draft as far as I am concerned, and it was due to this tight knit community.

I never wanted to piggy back Scott, but it bothered me a little that I was not receiving any respect/acknowledgement whatsoever. Though I am not so full of myself that I'd actually believe I drove any traffic to the site, I think I supplied some damn good NFL Draft work around these parts, many times in the absence of updates/analysis on the main page. Eventually, as you said, to get the desired exposure and to be taken seriously I had to branch out.

Honestly, and I understand your view here, but if I were running a website: I would care about the people that spent hours, days, weeks of their lives on the site. And if a kid, who pretty much idolized me, showed initiative and passion maybe I wouldn't necessarily take him under my wing, but I'd give him the time of day!

Do I think anyone who wants to write for the main page should be given the opportunity? No, of course not. Still, there are other ways (like those I previously suggested) that would help keep everyone happy and help keep this community together.

(Once again, I'm not here bashing Scott. I come in peace.)
Yeah, I was kind of brainstorming after your post because I do think there should be a better way to acknowledge our posters or give them a chance to be showcased. One thought that came to my mind was perhaps creating a new forum that allowed posters to write articles. Posters would have a chance to submit their articles for review and if approved, then they would be posted in that forum. It wouldn't be a forum where anyone could create a new thread, but anyone could reply to a thread. Obviously these articles should have exceptional content, but yeah, that's something I tried to brainstorm. Your interviews would've been ideal for something like this. It doesn't interfere with Scott's agenda on the main site, but it still gives the posters a chance to shine.

Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I think people really just want scouting reports at all. There are currently only 6 scouting reports up right now. I came here originally because of those reports and I stayed because the forums were interesting. I think the complete lack of reports is causing a decline in new visitors and new forum members. I like the other content that is being put up, but the scouting reports are the meat and potatoes that this site runs on. The forums are consistently the best part of this site now. The site and the forums have clearly declined in the past couple years.

I wouldn't fret too much about the hive mind and flaming that happens sometimes. It's just part of the internet.
It's all about timing. You're not gonna find them now, cause the tape from the season is still being reviewed. People don't want old/inaccurate reports, so you have to wait till the season is over. They'll come just like they have always come (post season; pre draft).
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post

I've said this before, and since this thread is up again I'll echo it one more time. The scouting reports and mock drafts (but especially the scouting reports) were what got me into the site in the first place, and as I became more knowledgable the forums became more appealing.

But anymore, the only way to describe the quality of scouting reports on this site is "poor." Am I saying I'm going to stop posting on the forums because of it? No. But I don't even look for scouting reports anymore, because I know they're not going to be there. It does make me enjoy the site less than I used to. A database of scouting reports fuels forum discussion. Now there's just an unjustified ranking of prospects with a few lines thrown onto some of the blue-chippers' pages.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-28-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's all about timing. You're not gonna find them now, cause the tape from the season is still being reviewed. People don't want old/inaccurate reports, so you have to wait till the season is over. They'll come just like they have always come (post season; pre draft).
Even still the number of reports is way down in the past few years. Did we even get a top 100 last year? There were plenty of high picks in the draft last year that had nothing in their scouting reports near draft time. What should be the site's greatest asset is slowly dying off. Before if a name was listed in the ranking he would at least have something written down for a report, now there is nothing past the top 5 or 6 guys. Even T.C. Ostrander, the 20th ranked QB, had a report back in 07.

Also a while back there were some reports that were up much before this time of the year; I could be wrong about that though. Reports can be update from time to time to reflect what has recently happened. I don't demand perfection from the scouting reports, but I want at least something. Last year after the draft I went to read up on some of the Ravens players and didn't get much here in terms of reports or analysis, so I was basically forced to look else where. I'm not even sure the draft report cards exist anymore on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Closed Thread