Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, I mean, I get it that Scott's busy but the lack of scouting reports is kind of a buzzkill. I feel ashamed saying this, but if I wanna know more about a prospect i either:

A) make a thread hoping yfs, tackle, jbond etc or someone who's seen that guy play a lot answers

B) tweet at some of the aforementioned dudes

C) google him and go to another draft site.

It's sad to say because this forum has become a big part of my time and hell, even life. I consider a lot of posters here my dudes, my friends. We're such a great community, as shown by the off topic, but when I leave the site to find more on prospects...it's not a good sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's all about timing. You're not gonna find them now, cause the tape from the season is still being reviewed. People don't want old/inaccurate reports, so you have to wait till the season is over. They'll come just like they have always come (post season; pre draft).
Yeah...umm before there were reports up from the start of the season or at least mid on players, even UDFA. That is how much scouting reports have been streamlined. The more popular guys, say the top 100 would get updates and such.

I guess you have a certain 'duty' to uphold so I don't blame you for defending the SW.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
yeah, I mean, I get it that Scott's busy but the lack of scouting reports is kind of a buzzkill. I feel ashamed saying this, but if I wanna know more about a prospect i either:

A) make a thread hoping yfs, tackle, jbond etc or someone who's seen that guy play a lot answers

B) tweet at some of the aforementioned dudes

C) google him and go to another draft site.

It's sad to say because this forum has become a big part of my time and hell, even life. I consider a lot of posters here my dudes, my friends. We're such a great community, as shown by the off topic, but when I leave the site to find more on prospects...it's not a good sign
Yeah i'd just go to C every time.

Don't want to bash Scott or anything because I didn't even come here for the scouting reports like other people, but if it wasn't for the forum I wouldn't ever visit this site. Using this site for anything other than the forum doesn't even enter my mind. It's just a shame. Because of how popular this site is, you'd think more could be done.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's great to see people being open. Fact of the matter is unless you live in a vacuum, you're gonna want to find out as much about a player you're interested in as possible.... and that means scouring the web. If all anybody did was rely on Scott's reports then they'd be cheating themselves. You want to do that in everything you do. Not just for football, but for life. If you want the cheapest fare or are looking for the best eats, you're gonna scour the web. Period.

The majority of Scott's traffic doesn't come from forum users as much as we love to think it. We all come here for the community. Some lurch, some sign up and leave and some sign up and stay. Your voice here is heard because you signed up. You stayed because of the relationships you've made here and it gives you an outlet to voice your opinions. If you stayed here because of the scouting reports then you're just weird.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't even stand most of you, I'm just here for the scouting reports y'all.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's great to see people being open. Fact of the matter is unless you live in a vacuum, you're gonna want to find out as much about a player you're interested in as possible.... and that means scouring the web. If all anybody did was rely on Scott's reports then they'd be cheating themselves. You want to do that in everything you do. Not just for football, but for life. If you want the cheapest fare or are looking for the best eats, you're gonna scour the web. Period.
Well that wasn't the point. The point was that SWDC isn't one of those places I would look at. What would be the point when there is nothing to actually look at? We can't 'rely' on Scott's reports, because there aren't any.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I can't even stand most of you, I'm just here for the scouting reports y'all.
Another satisfied customer.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe there was one year that Scott has some person stuff going on and the content was HORRIBLE, if even available, on this site. Ever since then it's been progressively worse than before the personal stuff went down.

What will happen is the mods, Shane, and/or Scott will eventually chime in that all is well, things will be added, blah blah blah. It'll never come to fruition and we'll stick around for another year to see the same thing. In a perfect world, there would be RS-Soph, Junior, and Senior rankings. It'd give three years of scouting and should theoretically make it easier to update from year to year.

Now, I'm sure the usual excuses of how much time it'll take to do this will be coming out shortly, so I'd like to point out Pudge's original post at this time as a way to completely beast this impossible hurdle. Hell, you could always make THAT a paid portion of the site. I'm sure there are people that would throw down 5 bucks a month for 3 years of scouting on a prospect their team may choose or already has chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan83 View Post
I believe there was one year that Scott has some person stuff going on and the content was HORRIBLE, if even available, on this site. Ever since then it's been progressively worse than before the personal stuff went down.

What will happen is the mods, Shane, and/or Scott will eventually chime in that all is well, things will be added, blah blah blah. It'll never come to fruition and we'll stick around for another year to see the same thing. In a perfect world, there would be RS-Soph, Junior, and Senior rankings. It'd give three years of scouting and should theoretically make it easier to update from year to year.

Now, I'm sure the usual excuses of how much time it'll take to do this will be coming out shortly, so I'd like to point out Pudge's original post at this time as a way to completely beast this impossible hurdle. Hell, you could always make THAT a paid portion of the site. I'm sure there are people that would throw down 5 bucks a month for 3 years of scouting on a prospect their team may choose or already has chosen.
Don't worry man. All will be good. I'm working on a new wallpaper for the site!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My fiance wonders how I can spend so much time on a forum but I wouldn't know what to do with my time without the NFL Draft and this forum.

Honestly, I like when Scott comes out with rankings and mock drafts but it doesn't make a difference to me how often he updates it all because I feel I try to inform myself as much as possible and am able to formulate my own opinions.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
Honestly, and I understand your view here, but if I were running a website: I would care about the people that spent hours, days, weeks of their lives on the site. And if a kid, who pretty much idolized me, showed initiative and passion maybe I wouldn't necessarily take him under my wing, but I'd give him the time of day!
I think Scott absolutely cares about the people that visit his site. But you have to understand that this is a business. While the content has declined greatly in quality over the past few years, Scott still works very hard. There is no incentive for him to allow someone to use his site to promote themselves, especially if they are interested in branching off to do their own stuff.

I also don't think people realize how little time Scott spends on the forum. Did you ever reach out Scott? He probably never read one of your mock drafts or your rankings, because he doesn't do that. When he is on the forum, he's usually discussing a big news event or discussing his own mocks and/or rankings. People have been complaining for years regarding this site's declining content. He doesn't have enough time to keep up with the demand for additional content on this site, much less spend time reading the forum. I think the fact that Scott spends any time at all on the forum is a testament to how much he cares about the people here.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
My fiance wonders how I can spend so much time on a forum but I wouldn't know what to do with my time without the NFL Draft and this forum.

Honestly, I like when Scott comes out with rankings and mock drafts but it doesn't make a difference to me how often he updates it all because I feel I try to inform myself as much as possible and am able to formulate my own opinions.
Haha, I know what you mean. What Scott does is for more for him than for me. For me, it's about you guys on this forum. It's an escape and an enjoyment to get away. Like a guilty pleasure.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
If I ever decide to get married she's going to have to realize that she isn't just marrying me, she's marrying the lot of you. Wow, it got weird in here. But just the right amount of weird. Where is drunk Scotty when you need him?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is DraftCountdown Scott's "job" or does he have other full-time employment?

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't worry man. All will be good. I'm working on a new wallpaper for the site!
I'm waiting with bated breath.

I did want to add that I think Scott not only neglects the actual website, but also the forums as well. It'd be nice for him to offer thoughts and opinions on threads throughout the year. I think it's just sad that what originally brought me to this site is now the piece that if it was stopped altogether tomorrow, I honestly wouldn't notice. And I think the perception may be that there are some posters on the forum that seem to care more about the site content and functionality than the people who run the site.

There needs to be fundamental changes. Either to the site or the forums. Innovation needs to be applied that will meet the needs of Scott's quality of life as well as the content so many of us come here to view.

My 5 random thoughts:
1. Create a forum where people could post their scouting reports of anyone they wish. Scott and Shane - pay attention to this forum. It could cut out a ton of your work load as well as show you people that can identify talent and faults.
2. Articles, however infrequent, need to be supplied. I can't listen to podcasts at work. I can read as many articles as I want. As far as content, I would leave that up to the author. I'd enjoy reading articles about scouting in particular though. What things to look for when scouting a particular position, etc.
3. Be more active in the forums! EVERYONE came here in the beginning because we value your opinion. At least give the impression you give a **** about the forums.
4. Don't be afraid to go to a paid format if it'll work for you. Like I said before, more in-depth scouting reports would be a perfect place to do this. I'm convinced that the more you get paid to do something, the more passionate and involved you become. Rekindle that passion, Scott.
5. If you insist on only doing seniors, I'd kick up the quality and quantity of your initial "top 10/15/20/whatever" offering you normally do after the draft. Maybe the top 20 with complete scouting report and draft projection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My 5 random thoughts:
1. Create a forum where people could post their scouting reports of anyone they wish. Scott and Shane - pay attention to this forum. It could cut out a ton of your work load as well as show you people that can identify talent and faults.
2. Articles, however infrequent, need to be supplied. I can't listen to podcasts at work. I can read as many articles as I want. As far as content, I would leave that up to the author. I'd enjoy reading articles about scouting in particular though. What things to look for when scouting a particular position, etc.
3. Be more active in the forums! EVERYONE came here in the beginning because we value your opinion. At least give the impression you give a **** about the forums.
4. Don't be afraid to go to a paid format if it'll work for you. Like I said before, more in-depth scouting reports would be a perfect place to do this. I'm convinced that the more you get paid to do something, the more passionate and involved you become. Rekindle that passion, Scott.
1. People already do that in this forum. A lot of guys write more about the players than Scott does.
2. What do you really need articles for? A simple scouting report can tell you a lot about the player's game.
3. Not everyone. And he's not perfect. It wouldn't be much different even if he did post more.
4. He can do whatever he wants, but a lot of people would just decide to look elsewhere for their draft fix. You don't make your product harder to get when you're in competition.

There are 60+ other members on right now and probably more in the afternoon, and you guys are whining over 1 person...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I think the fact that Scott spends any time at all on the forum is a testament to how much he cares about the people here.
...He hardly ever posts.

Also; the lack of ANYTHING on underclassmen is disturbing. Like a previous poster stated, player profiles can be updated. While the NBA is a different animal entirely, NBADraft.net is a perfect example of this. Player profiles start early and are updated. At a minimum, this should be done for high profile juniors.

Next Up: 2012
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And I think the perception may be that there are some posters on the forum that seem to care more about the site content and functionality than the people who run the site.
Think it kind of boils down to this. It's just one of those frustrating situations where the initial draw to something went away, but there's not really a way for the consumer to get back. It's like facebook's never-ending changes to their privacy policies. You think, "Dammit, now everything I'm tagged in goes straight to my grandmother's newsfeed..." but all the company is ever going to say is, "We try to provide a great product and we don't make you use it." but you're already invested in very real ways, most importantly the community aspect of it. If you leave, you're leaving people. To posters who think of this as a community, it's frustrating that the founder of that community has strayed pretty far from the original appeal. Seems like Scott mostly stumps for his podcast, and frankly, I'm not nearly as eager to listen for a prospect I'm interested in to get mentioned in a soundbite as simply having a visual reference, i.e., a scouting report.

As has been mentioned, there are plenty of posters willing to work towards seeing scouting reports re-invigorated on this site in some form. In some formal, orderly, catalogued way that isn't just perusing forums to see if someone has been discussed. Maybe have an overall ranking and the scouting report that pops up with a prospect is one that has been given the most votes by forum members. Might take some new programming to pull something like that off, but it would be worth it. There are many ways to get scouting reports back on this site, and, as many people also seem to think, the response of "Scott is really busy and just doesn't have time" is profoundly unsatisfying. It doesn't need to be all Scott. But the site should have them. I'm not trying to be dramatic or hyperbolic in saying this, but it's kind of a travesty that one of the web's top NFL draft sites doesn't even have scouting reports. Something is wrong with that picture.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-28-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can only talk about my perspective, which I've done in this thread before, but I'll try to just give facts as I see them on the process. In no way does this make excuses for the results per say, but becoming (what I consider) good friends with Scott and working 18-20 hours a day with him over the course of a week every year, I at least want to record my experience.

1. Scott is one of the hardest working draftniks I know and see. I respect a lot of people's work, and as Ryan mentioned, there are a lot more sites that go to the Senior Bowl now. The difference I think is the content and Scott's work ethic. Go back and check and see how many guys down at the Senior Bowl go out at night drinking, BSing, etc. Scott is in his hotel room until sometimes 2 AM writing reports, blog entries, etc. We had over 2,000 word practice reports per team for the padded practices, I don't think anyone else had that. Work ethic isn't an issue.

2. Scott values a clean and clear site message and design. One of the reasons for not bringing people on is to not have a multitude of rankings, mock drafts, scouting reports, etc. from a bunch of different people. It is called Scott Wright's Draft Countdown for a reason. If people click on a scouting report or Mock, Scott wants people to know it is from him. You can make your own conclusions from that, but having a site where there are 5 different sets of rankings and 10 different mock drafts is not something he is interested in. In addition, the layout and design of the site is almost as important as content to him. To do that correctly involves html input, formatting, etc. He has to do all that too and I've seen how much time it takes.

3. Scott is a detail person. When some can whip out mock drafts in a few hours, it takes Scott days to hone the explanations, formatting, and fits for teams. The detail he takes in write-ups when some do sentences and he is writing pages. Something such as the Ad bar on the left side of each page being centered and having it look clean is important to him. Consciously or subconsciously, this keeps people coming back with the detail put into the site design and content

4. Scott watches the players he ranks. People complain about underclassmen content and that not being up, the big thing is, Scott is going to watch the players he ranks. Why only start with Seniors? Because that is near impossible to watch all of. How many people have watched Miguel Maysonet? Or Khiry Robinson? Or Luke Marquardt? That isn't easy to obtain either and can often take hours or days. People forget how much time that takes. It can be easy to watch the Top 100 picks, but Scott will go further. This is his full time job and there still aren't enough hours in the day. And he isn't just going to watch a game or two before commenting, but a good chunk of games. I think this also goes into bringing other people onto the site to write or give content. It isn't always easy to confirm people have watched and aren't just piggybacking off others. He knows he watches and wants that to be the basis for content. When there is a stretch of no new content, this is what is likely taking up the time.

3. Compliments on the site were abound in Mobile. People Scott's never met, TV sports reporters, other draft site owners, etc. Not just on content, but on the design of the site, the detail of the mock draft, etc.

4. The numbers for the site are going up not down. As the draft gets popular, the site continues to grow in popularity. As much content that is missing at times isn't dissuading many who are looking for mocks, podcasts, etc, people are now going to multiple sites for content, using twitter, and still coming in droves.

5. The forum #s are also going up, but still don't compensate for the forum investment. Forums are a tricky business. You all know I love these and it is a big part of my contribution to DC. That being said, the #s for the forum are increasing but not at a rate that compensates for the cost of the forum. I think the forum has done A LOT for this site, more than Scott maybe knows, but the members on the forum make up such a small small sliver of the hits the site gets

6. Scott respects people on the forum. He asks me about people on here consistently. Does he read a lot on the forum? I don't think so, I don't think the time is in the cards for that, but he knows and respects people who have helped make this forum what it is.

7. The podcast continues to grow and bring new people. We are averaging about 7,000 listens in January. We've hit over 10,000 listens for a show. That is a huge number for this early in the process and may be something that could also turn into revenue. Likewise, it allows us to put a lot of content out there in a short amount of time while gaining consistent feedback without the extra time for formatting, etc. I know it isn't a medium that many on here may like, but it is a growing medium that is paying dividends for casual fans.

8. Scott would love to expand and provide more content. If a big company like Fox Sports, ABC, Google, whoever came and offered money for the site, to keep Scott on salary to run it, and give him a budget to hire a staff, he'd be on it. But, right now, it is a one man job with a revenue stream for one person. There are very few sites with one person running it who has the amount of detailed content. Quality over quantity continues to be a moniker that works.

Does this excuse the lack of scouting reports in recent years? It does not. Does this excuse some perceptions people have put forth? It does not, but I hope I can set the record straight from my end. I owe a lot to Scott and wouldn't be anywhere close to what I am as a talent evaluator and analyst. I have a lot of respect for other people that put in the time and know what they are doing (and Ryan ranks right at or near the top of that list and he is going to find some incredible success, as he should). But I know Scott has been the main inspiration for me to go into this and continue to see the work he puts in, even if it doesn't always translate to the content people want to be on the site.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 01-29-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I think Scott absolutely cares about the people that visit his site. But you have to understand that this is a business. While the content has declined greatly in quality over the past few years, Scott still works very hard. There is no incentive for him to allow someone to use his site to promote themselves, especially if they are interested in branching off to do their own stuff.

I also don't think people realize how little time Scott spends on the forum. Did you ever reach out Scott? He probably never read one of your mock drafts or your rankings, because he doesn't do that. When he is on the forum, he's usually discussing a big news event or discussing his own mocks and/or rankings. People have been complaining for years regarding this site's declining content. He doesn't have enough time to keep up with the demand for additional content on this site, much less spend time reading the forum. I think the fact that Scott spends any time at all on the forum is a testament to how much he cares about the people here.
Whoa buddy, hold on there. Are you implying that pursuing dreams of working in the NFL = branching off? And are you also implying that Scott wouldn't have anything to gain by adding thorough, consistent analysis to the website?

Step outside the world of SWDC, take a look around at how Scott's competition operates. I'm not telling you to get your draft info elsewhere, just take a look. 95% of draft websites utilize young, freelance writers looking to make a name for themselves. Many are aspiring NFL scouts like myself, others are aspiring sportswriters. While their future goals may vary, it is their efforts that have given a lot of these sites' readers good, consistent analysis. And before you go there, don't even try to give me the quality or credibility argument. Most of these guys put hours of film work in each week and do a heck of a job. Some are better than others at articulating what they see on tape, but there are plenty that can do both ("scout" and write.) Also worth noting, there tends to be fairly little turnover at most of these sites, despite these guys working hours without pay. Loyalty is a pretty consistent theme of these young aspiring scouts, because they (we) are grateful for being given an opportunity.

So, would it hurt Scott's business to add more content by way of talented, unpaid young writers/aspiring scouts? Let me answer that question with another: why would it? It would mean changing what SWDC is, and that is what looks to be the problem. In an ever-changing world, NFL Draft coverage has evolved and expanded incredibly. SWDC on the other hand, with small exceptions over the last seven years, has not. The demand for NFL Draft coverage has increased drastically, but nothing on this site reflects that. In fact, dwindling content would suggest the opposite, no? So let me ask you another question: is that good business? Scott is, as you said, running a business. Is he maximizing profits by steering clear of intelligent, passionate young writers?

The self promo comment irked me as well. Bengals.com contacted me last March to write a draft article for their website due to the absence of full-time writer, Geoff Hobson. They did this not because they thought I was a nice guy, but because they valued consistent content to meet the demands of their reading audience. While that was a great opportunity to get my name out there, they wouldn't have asked me to write an article there if they didn't think it benefitted them. It's not how this site works, but it is how the business works. Would you say Shane Hallam has used his role at SWDC as a means of self promotion? I wouldn't. Obviously the role here has made Shane more visible and respected, but is does than mean he is taking advantage of the Scott? Absolutely not.

To address your second paragraph, I did reach out to Scott. I never asked him for any kind of writing role, but the fact that I wanted to make a career of scouting/football was something that was communicated. If you saw my post on the previous page, I shared a story about interviews that I conducted when I was 16 that he would not even let me post on the forums.

I understand that if Scott is reading this post, it probably sounds harsh. My intention is not to throw stones. I would not be where I am today if it were not for Scott Wright. While we personally weren't able to interact much, Scott's work was very influential and inspiring for me. I don't read the mocks like I used to, but he does as well a job as anyone out there (as Shane mentioned.) I do not feel cheated by Scott, I left quietly - not in any kind of blaze of glory. I simply wish I'd have gotten the opportunity here, I would not have asked for a dime and I think anyone that knows me understood that. I still have a lot of respect for Scott as a draft analyst, I just hope he takes the steps to show the awesome community here some love.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Last edited by ThePudge : 01-29-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pudge start posting here more so I can stop antagonizing you on twatter.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of you take mock drafts very seriously.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn some people like bbd went in HARD here.

My two cents is that this place peaked four or five years ago as an overall site. I don't blame Scott or anyone else for the forums starting to decline, probably because I have a much better idea of the burden it presents than most other users. I do believe the front page content stagnated, eventually got worse and has never really recovered.

As a draft fan, what attracted me - and from other anecdotal accounts the reason draftcountdown had been the top unaffiliated draft site for years (google placement aside) was the rankings and short scouting reports. Key being short. They were perfectly designed for quick hit and runs in the internet short attention span era. Scott basically invented twitter for scouting years before twitter came around. You got just enough information to know what you wanted about a player and then you could move on. Things like the blogs and other long write ups are heavy time investments for a smaller, hardcore (guys like us who post on the boards) audience. I would always read them, but I'm not the typical drive by consumer. The senior bowl week is big and should stay as is. The rest? It's just not as efficient. The scouting reports were the engine of the site and the engine hasn't been pumping lately.

I don't know why or what is spreading Scott so thin recently but pulling the "watching and gathering tape" excuse is weak. He's always had to do that and, if anything, with each passing year this tape should become more accessible. You have numerous people posting full game tapes on youtube - sure, it isn't coaches tape but it's better than nothing and easily accessible. Hell, I remember four (or however many) years ago you had Josh Johnson's entire senior year freely available. A projected late rounder playing at a DII school!

Back in those days Scott would have scouting reports, even if they were short blurbs, for 7th round/UDFA types. I know for a fact once teams started the UDFA free for all and signings started to be announced on team boards all across the web the first place they would come is here to find out if the #37 ranked WR their team just signed might be a hidden gem!

Maybe Scott is selling scouting info on those deep dive players to pro teams (not necessarily NFL - maybe CFL or UFL teams)? Who knows, I have to think there is some reason he was able to do this years ago without another contributor and it can't solely be due to adding podcasts and a twitter account. Especially since the site layout has been the same for years. It shouldn't take very long to put new pages together with the maturity of the site and many unchanged templates that have been reused. If it isn't, something is wrong.

The only thing I'll back up Scott on is his insistence to keep this his site. First off, it's his baby and he can do what he wants with it. And more importantly, I don't want 50 unpaid teenagers cluttering up the site with useless articles or their (inconsistent) scouting opinions. At least I know what I'm getting with Scott and can adjust based off that. This site isn't bleacherreport and it should stay that way.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM    (permalink
cajuncorey
Rookie

cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In response to the madness that this thread has caused, i would like to mention some specs. I opened this thread in attempt to see of what big brother would countact such a critique in the light of such a demonstration taken to his doorstep. In contemporary society when such a demonstration occurs the man in the high tower will sweep the remenents of such a rebellion under the rug. Yet an attempt to do such a thing instead one of scotts right hand men had shut down the demonstation. Scott not afraid of critique actually reopened dicussion as he realizes his flaws and owns up to them.

Through such a learning experience for myself i have determined Scott is not a capitalist but rather a proletariat working for the proles. Deeper research into the fields have led to such an enlightenment. As it was once discovered titanium is not to be operated on with cadnium plated tools and is not to be fused with undistilled water. Well perhaps before the bolshevik revolution takes place we must realize of whom it is who we are up against. In this case it is us vs ourselves. Noting in this region of the world where sorched earth policy has left us with limited resources, scott is unable to meet the demand of the populus because of limited supply. content may be lacking but the heart is not.

Dissertation Finalized.

Thank you ladies and gents.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
2. Scott values a clean and clear site message and design. One of the reasons for not bringing people on is to not have a multitude of rankings, mock drafts, scouting reports, etc. from a bunch of different people. It is called Scott Wright's Draft Countdown for a reason. If people click on a scouting report or Mock, Scott wants people to know it is from him. You can make your own conclusions from that, but having a site where there are 5 different sets of rankings and 10 different mock drafts is not something he is interested in. In addition, the layout and design of the site is almost as important as content to him. To do that correctly involves html input, formatting, etc. He has to do all that too and I've seen how much time it takes.
I'll admit, I had not thought about the potential formatting issues. I understand that would mean some big changes in the format/layout of the website, which has long been a big strength of SWDC.

I don't think that is the make or break issue as much as it is simply an additional point, however.

I also understand not wanting multiple rankings on the site, but I don't really know anyone that does that. Some sites use collective opinions, in which the staff will sit down and stack their board similar to how an NFL team would. Usually the head honcho has the final say where a player will be ranked, but he'll value the opinions of those who have done their homework. I don't think that needs to be done here, but it could get tricky in the future if someone is hired to write scouting reports and does not share the same feelings as Scott. I think the site could benefit from thought-compelling articles, player spotlights, etc, though. It could be made clear that the writer's opinions does not necessarily reflect Scott's own, and it would not devalue the product. But hey, my suggestion a couple pages back was simply to show the forum community some love.

Always good to hear from you though, Shane. Thought you made some very valid points and I respect the fact that you're addressing everything. I look forward to talking prospects & more leading up to the draft. I didn't mean to stir up anything here, it just felt strange vanishing without a word.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Last edited by ThePudge : 01-29-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Closed Thread