Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Lovie isn't taking a coordinator position. He's getting paid head coach money to sit at home. If he takes a coordinator position that money is void.
Oh ok. Well the Saints are going to a 34. Anyone who about the Eagles? Are they switching or staying the same? If they keep to a 43 system, I can see Spags going back and being their DC. If the Eagles switch systems, then I think Spags HAS to take a position coach spot or sit out a year. That would be the way we get him as a LB coach.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumor is the Eagles want to switch to a 3-4 defense and want some guy from Georgia as their DC.

I hope Spags comes on board, but like Forenci said, it's highly unlikely. The Giants don't want to step on Fewell's toes with a move like that.

I want it to happen so bad but it won't.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, it really should happen, I just don't see it going down.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rumor is the Eagles want to switch to a 3-4 defense and want some guy from Georgia as their DC.

I hope Spags comes on board, but like Forenci said, it's highly unlikely. The Giants don't want to step on Fewell's toes with a move like that.

I want it to happen so bad but it won't.
But if he doesn't have a job and has LB coaching experience then he has to be considered. Plus Fewell's contract expires after this upcoming season. So we have to consider the best guy not worry about other coach's toes.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it kinda lines up the way we draft players, start him off in a small role until the incumbent's contract is up and needs to be replaced then bam steps in and **** is awesome.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 01-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I would like the Eagles to go to a 34. Then that leaves most of the jobs closed. Spags has to either take a year off or settle and work up again. That would be our chance. I would guess Spags is waiting, but I really hope we sign him as a LB coach. Let Fewell go without actually firing him, and then just promote Spags.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Spags wants to take the Al Holcomb's old job as defensive assistant.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

So then he'd wait a year? It's not like his stock is high. He got fired as a HC, and was a 1 year wonder at DC. That's 2 kick in the nuts. And now most jobs are taken. So, what would be his options then? Position coach or basically sit out a year, right? Hopefully we extend him a chance to take that spot.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
So then he'd wait a year? It's not like his stock is high. He got fired as a HC, and was a 1 year wonder at DC. That's 2 kick in the nuts. And now most jobs are taken. So, what would be his options then? Position coach or basically sit out a year, right? Hopefully we extend him a chance to take that spot.
If he wants to get a position coach job I am pretty sure he can get a better one then defensive assistant even after being fired.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
If he wants to get a position coach job I am pretty sure he can get a better one then defensive assistant even after being fired.
But what other one? LB coach he can take if we give him it. Maybe other teams who haven't filled their staff, but I'd assume our franchise would be closer to win unless he goes to like a Pats or whatever.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
But what other one? LB coach he can take if we give him it. Maybe other teams who haven't filled their staff, but I'd assume our franchise would be closer to win unless he goes to like a Pats or whatever.
Idk what teams are looking for coaches to fill their staffs. Maybe Andy Reid or some other coach he has history with has a LB coach or DB spot for him.

I have no idea but the point is all we have to offer on our staff at the moment is defensive assistant.

I really don't think he is going to want to take a job like that when I would think other teams will offer jobs a little higher up on the totem pole.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we really wanted to, we could bring in Spags as just an Assistant Head Coach for a year much like Dick LeBeau with the Bills in 2003 after he got fired from the Bengals and before he returned to the Steelers.

I doubt it happens, but I would like to see Spags on the staff.

It would add a proven aggressive mind to our defensive staff who has proven success with the team.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's wishful thinking guys. It's not happening.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think it's wishful thinking guys. It's not happening.
Pretty much, unless one of our guys like Hermann or Giunta get a deal on one of the new defences or on a college team.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Looking at how Reese tends to work, we are likely to use free agency to fill gaps and build the team through the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed one LB in free agency.

It will be intersting to see what happens with resignings and restructuring etc.

Free Agency starts in around six weeks or so and we need to be under the cap by then.

We really won't know our needs until we work out whats happening with the bunch of veterans who's salary/cap number is above market value or which of our free agents we are able to resign before they hit the open market.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Random thought, but how many teams run the 3-4 defense these days? I feel like now it's a vast majority, even with a couple teams reverting back to the 4-3 I feel it's still favorable.

I think it's more beneficial to be a 4-3 team because you really get some guys that only fit in the 4-3. I know BBD has brought that up in the past but as the 3-4 becomes used more and more it's becoming an even bigger advantage.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Random thought, but how many teams run the 3-4 defense these days? I feel like now it's a vast majority, even with a couple teams reverting back to the 4-3 I feel it's still favorable.

I think it's more beneficial to be a 4-3 team because you really get some guys that only fit in the 4-3. I know BBD has brought that up in the past but as the 3-4 becomes used more and more it's becoming an even bigger advantage.
By my reckoning there are 22 base 4-3 teams and 10 base 3-4 teams

Though quite a few of those 4-3 are hybrids using a lot of 3-4 elements. But teams tend to mix it up anyways.

Either way even fronts don't seem to be in the minority.

NE: 4-3
MIA: 4-3
BUF: 4-3
NYJ: 3-4

CIN: 4-3
CLE: 3-4?
PIT: 3-4
BAL: 4-3

IND: 3-4
TEN: 4-3
JAC: 4-3
HOU: 3-4

KC: 3-4
OAK: 4-3
DEN: 4-3
SD: 4-3

WAS: 3-4
PHI: 3-4?
DAL: 4-3?
NYG: 4-3

CHI: 4-3?
GB: 3-4
DET: 4-3
MIN: 4-3

TB: 4-3
NO: 3-4
ATL: 4-3
CAR: 4-3

STL: 4-3
SF: 3-4
SEA: 4-3
ARI - 3-4?

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-29-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think mostly every team runs a hybrid D nowadays. There might be more base 3-4 teams now but personnel wise most teams are in nickel and dime so much more.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That explains their interest in Hermanns
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
By my reckoning there are 22 base 4-3 teams and 10 base 3-4 teams

Though quite a few of those 4-3 are hybrids using a lot of 3-4 elements. But teams tend to mix it up anyways.

Either way even fronts don't seem to be in the minority.

NE: 4-3
MIA: 4-3
BUF: 4-3
NYJ: 3-4

CIN: 4-3
CLE: 3-4?
PIT: 3-4
BAL: 4-3

IND: 3-4
TEN: 4-3
JAC: 4-3
HOU: 3-4

KC: 3-4
OAK: 4-3
DEN: 4-3
SD: 4-3

WAS: 3-4
PHI: 3-4?
DAL: 4-3?
NYG: 4-3

CHI: 4-3?
GB: 3-4
DET: 4-3
MIN: 4-3

TB: 4-3
NO: 3-4
ATL: 4-3
CAR: 4-3

STL: 4-3
SF: 3-4
SEA: 4-3
ARI - 3-4?
What you are seeing more and more of is teams switching to a hybrid Cover 2 defense to handle the great passers in the league. I know the Giants do it a lot as does Baltimore and San Fran. It is the only defense that can slow down the Rodgers, Brady's and Payton's of this league.
They'll mix in man to man elements and blitz occasionally but you'll always see 2 deep Safeties.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who let the canadian into our thread? Be gone you foul demon before we have to salt you!

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Osi has recently said that he hopes to stay with the Giants

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ying-for-jets/

and also mentioned that money isnít the most important thing to him and he could likely get more money elsewhere.

It is interesting that Osi has moved from not expecting to be back to hoping to return. Which is the same kind of language as what Jerry Reese and John Mara have been saying on the topic.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Interestingly it seems that on Sunday, and in preparation for free agency, Umenyiora switched agents, once again hiring Tom Condon and Ben Dogra of CAA.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Who let the canadian into our thread? Be gone you foul demon before we have to salt you!
I like the Giants and never post to make fun only to offer solid suggestions.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

saw a story on the giants salary cap from big blue view which was very interesting

Quote:
What does it tell us about the 2012 New York Giants? Nothing new, really, but it confirms something we already knew -- the Giants did not get their money's worth from their defensive unit in 2012.

The Giants spent $68.8 million (57 percent) of their 2012 salary cap on defense. That is more money than every NFL team except the Denver Broncos ($70.6 million) spent on defense. Yet, the Giants finished 31st in the league defensively in yardage allowed and 12th in points allowed (21.5 points per game).

The Seattle Seahawks allowed the fewest points in the league (16.5 per game) while spending only $38.5 million on defense, third-lowest in the NFL.

The Giants spent $48.7 million on offense, which was 24th in the league in spending.
So basically we have invested extremely heavily defensively and had an extremely poor result. I don't get why the coaching staff get a pass.