Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Defensive Back Rankings (Top 15 CBs/Safeties)

I have started to compile my rankings and instead of throwing out all the positions at once I figured there might be more conversation generated by breaking the positions apart by similarities.

Cornerbacks

1. Dee Milliner : ALABAMA
2. Jordan Poyer : OREGON STATE
3. Desmond Trufant : WASHINGTON
4. Will Davis : UTAH STATE
5. Logan Ryan : RUTGERS
6. Jamar Taylor : BOISE STATE
7. Xavier Rhodes : FLORIDA STATE
8. Johnthan Banks : MISSISSIPPI STATE
9. Leon McFadden : SAN DIEGO STATE
10. Robert Alford : SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
11. Blidi Wreh-Wilson : UCONN
12. BW Webb : WILLIAM & MARY
13. Darius Slay : MISSISSIPPI STATE
14. David Amerson : NORTH CAROLINA STATE
15. Terry Hawthorne : ILLINOIS

Analysis: Milliner is the king of the class at corner and is the latest Saban defensive backs to enter the NFL. Overall a pretty deep class with each of these 15 listed having the potential to be starters within a couple years of being in the league. Poyer, Trufant and Davis all carry first round grades with me and Trufant may be the only one of the bunch that actually goes in the first 32 picks. Banks has been highly touted throughout the season, but I simply am not wowed enough when I've watched Mississippi State this past season and teammate Darius Slay isn't far behind him in my evaluations. Banks' best fit very well may be safety in the NFL. David Amerson got exposed big time this season, but if he's still around in the 3rd round, his size for a defensive back is worth gambling on and trying to develop.

Safeties

1. Kenny Vaccaro : TEXAS
2. Jonathan Cyprien : FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
3. Phillip Thomas : FRESNO STATE
4. Duke Williams : NEVADA
5. Eric Reid : LOUISIANA STATE
6. Bacarri Rambo : GEORGIA
7. DJ Swearinger : SOUTH CAROLINA
8. Matt Elam : FLORIDA
9. Shawn Williams : GEORGIA
10. Tony Jefferson : OKLAHOMA
11. JJ Wilcox : GEORGIA SOUTHERN
12. TJ McDonald : USC
13. Cooper Taylor : RICHMOND
14. Shamarko Thomas : SYRACUSE
15. Earl Wolff : NORTH CAROLINA STATE

Analysis: Much like the crop of cornerbacks, the safety position is very deep for the upcoming draft. When considering the top seven guys (Vaccaro, Cyprien, Thomas, Williams, Reid, Rambo and Swearinger) they could easily be shuffled around depending on what qualities one looks for in their safeties. Vaccaro is the most complete of the bunch, but there are lapses in his play at times during this season so he's not without flaws. After Barron went high last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he goes Top 10 like some scouts/journalists are suggesting. Cyprien impressed me big time during the Senior Bowl week and he is everything a defensive coordinator wants in a safety with his physicality and ability to drop back in coverage. Some project Eric Reid as a free safety but I see more of a strong safety as a guy who needs to operate closer to the line. Matt Elam has the heart of a lion but his size concerns me and his ability to hold up long term in the league. Cooper Taylor was the star of Shrine week and after the way Seattle has composed their secondary, a guy with his size and measurables will be highly sought after in this copycat league.

Let's open up the discussion on this year's defensive backs...I'm always open to criticism, defending my rankings, and seeing how others' rankings match up to mine

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote