Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Why so defensive brah? I'm not saying he IS a top 15 QB. But he still had a good year with SF. Kaep is just better as a passer (for reasons that have been beaten to death) along with an added threat as a runner. My post was more about praising Harbs for the work he does with QB's but its evident you read 1 line and got offended.
I didnt get offended. And I did read your whole post btw.

I guess I'm unfair in saying he sucks, but to me he is nothing more than a caretaker qb. He does not push the ball down the field, and he does not have elite decision making, accuracy, or arm strength. He's just as average as they get.

His success is largely bc SF is absolutely loaded as a team and he was able to get away with his 5 yard dump passes to the RB and still pull away with the win.

I think any team who picks up Alex Smith thinking they could get the same production out of him that SF did is out of their mind. He's not a qb who makes players around him better. His ceiling is doing what he did with a loaded SF team. That's it.

Going to another team void of that caliber of talent will only expose him to what he really is: A below average qb.

In this league, if you're not the answer at qb, you're the problem. He's not the answer.

Credit Harbaugh for knowing this right away. He tried replacing Smith before the season started, then benched him for Kaep the second he had a chance to without losing the team. He knew all along that Smith wasn't good. He just had to bench him in a way that wouldn't alienate the team or jeopardize the season and he did just that.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Put Alex Smith in Jacksonville for example. I don't think he will suceed as well as he did with SF.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
No, he got benched because Harbaugh thought Kaepernick would be better and THEN Kaep played out of his mind.
No, he got benched because he got injured and then Kaepernick played a great game against the Bears. Smith stayed bench even when he got healthy and Kaepernick had cooled off a little bit because Kaepernick is Harbaugh's guy and because Kaepernick has some of the highest upside in the league.

Smith was playing fantastic before his injury. His only hiccup this year came against the Giants, and I guess the Seahawks to a lesser extent, but don't you find it strangely coincidental that those are the two games he played with a broken finger on his throwing hand? He gets almost two weeks to heal after those games and he proceeds to go 25/27 with four touchdowns and no picks before getting a concussion
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith is probably one of the 20 best QBs in the world. That means that he's just not quite so good that you aren't actively trying to replace him, which is exactly what Harbaugh was doing from the day he was hired.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
His success is largely bc SF is absolutely loaded as a team and he was able to get away with his 5 yard dump passes to the RB and still pull away with the win.
The 49ers backs had 52 receptions this year, 27 came with Kaepernick at QB.
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
his second season.
http://blip.tv/49ersnews/kwame-harris-lowlights-4602367

That 2nd was amazing cause he took every snap. But it was an aberration as nobody can survive being hit that often. Got hurt in 2007, played on. No luck again in 2008 being spent on IR with a possibly related shoulder break.
Singletary offense and young O-Line failures hurt him some more.
Kaepernick is handed a team as good as you could hope for a young QB while Smith was given the worst in the NFL.
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I'd say probably right in the middle as far as NFL QBs go. One can argue whether he could win a Super Bowl or whether he's making too much money but he'll be in the discussion for a lot of teams needing a QB for next year.
I think he would be a perfect fit in an offense like Cleveland's... He has the arm to make the big throws, he doesn't commit turnovers, and he is still younger than what we have (except for Colt I guess).

I just don't see him being as bad as people make him out to be... He's efficient and if the Browns could get one of the big names at receiver in free agency to go with what we have and Trent gets healthy I would like our chances to compete next year.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Alex Smith is probably one of the 20 best QBs in the world. That means that he's just not quite so good that you aren't actively trying to replace him, which is exactly what Harbaugh was doing from the day he was hired.
thing is he was playing more like a top 10 QB this year than top 20. I think the move says more about expanding the capabilities of the offense than a knock on Alex Smith.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutey Wooty View Post
Put Alex Smith in Jacksonville for example. I don't think he will suceed as well as he did with SF.
A QB will get worse with a worse team and worse coaching around him? Shocking information. No one is saying Smith is a QB who can produce no matter what is going on around him. Then again how many QBs are there you can say that for? Smith is a middle-of-the-pack QB, at worst, who can help a lot of teams. A healthy MJD and Alex Smith on Jacksonville, with Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon emerging, would be a pretty good offense.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A QB will get worse with a worse team and worse coaching around him? Shocking information. No one is saying Smith is a QB who can produce no matter what is going on around him. Then again how many QBs are there you can say that for? Smith is a middle-of-the-pack QB, at worst, who can help a lot of teams. A healthy MJD and Alex Smith on Jacksonville, with Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon emerging, would be a pretty good offense.
That's why I said he's a glorified bus driver. He can win but he won't take your team to another level. I don't hate him like BBD.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A QB will get worse with a worse team and worse coaching around him? Shocking information.
2010... Some of the QBs with a better rating than Peyton Manning

Michael Vick
Josh Freeman
Joe Flacco
Matt Cassel
Matt Schaub

2012 with a O-Line and pass targets in better shape along with probably an easier schedule although playing outdoors and he has the 2nd best rating in his career.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are too many good NFL QBs and draft prospects for me to waste my time with Alex Smith. NFL careers are short. Your teams prime players only have 4 year windows at their peak capabilities, I wouldn't want to waste a year or 2 with Alex Smith at qb.

I rather develop a qb or at least try to develop one that is capable of peaking with the rest of the team.

At least a draft pick offers intrigue. There's potential he can become something. I already know what Alex Smith is, and his peak isn't good enough to win it all. So why waste your time? If you're not moving forward youre moving backwards. The last thing you want is to be stuck in football purgatory (8-8), which the Alex Smiths of the world get you if you're a team looking to rebuild.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Again sticking with Alex Smith won't hurt your chances like sticking with a guy like Cassel. I would much rather have him than be stuck with Cassel at the leading position of my team.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That's why I said he's a glorified bus driver. He can win but he won't take your team to another level. I don't hate him like BBD.
He won't carry a team but he can make a lot of teams better, the Jaguars and Chiefs included. Smith is capable of making big plays in clutch situations, he had six fourth quarter comebacks in 2011 alone, and he is rarely going to give the other team anything. There are not 20 QBs in the league better than him. There probably aren't even 15 better than him the past couple of seasons. If you want to base your decisions off of what he did before then be my guest but it would be hard to argue for him being bottom 10 in 2009-2010, and that was with some of the worst coaches in the NFL in recent memory, and I don't see why you would go back to before that.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 01-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think people are underrating Alex Smith a bit, because guys like abbadon overrated him so much earlier in the year. I think he can be an effective starter in this league. He's not going to any Super Bowls, but I think he significantly improves a team like the Cardinals. I don't think he's top 15 or anything, but he's probably just outside the top 20. I can think of about nine teams off the top of my head that he could start for and be an improvement over what they have.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Depends on what you want I guess. See, I rather go Cassel. Bc Cassel gets me a top 5 pick in the draft.

Smith gets me the 15th - 19th pick in the draft. Neither wins you anything, but one gets you in a better position to improve your team than the other.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There are too many good NFL QBs and draft prospects for me to waste my time with Alex Smith. NFL careers are short. Your teams prime players only have 4 year windows at their peak capabilities, I wouldn't want to waste a year or 2 with Alex Smith at qb.

I rather develop a qb or at least try to develop one that is capable of peaking with the rest of the team.

At least a draft pick offers intrigue. There's potential he can become something. I already know what Alex Smith is, and his peak isn't good enough to win it all. So why waste your time? If you're not moving forward youre moving backwards. The last thing you want is to be stuck in football purgatory (8-8), which the Alex Smiths of the world get you if you're a team looking to rebuild.
Dude. Look who are Quarterbacking the teams in the Super Bowl this year. Flacco and Smith were nearly here last year as well.
Roethlisberger and Eli weren't doing Pepsi commercials with Barry Larkin when they won their 1st Super Bowls.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Smith's peak, which happened this year, isn't good enough to win it all? He was leading the league in passer rating (104.1) and completion percentage (70.2%), was third in YPA at 8.0. He played two games with an injury on his throwing hand. In those two games he had one touchdown and four interceptions. In his other six games he had 12 touchdowns and one interception. That is just too coincidental for me to believe it is a coincidence.

Someone compared Smith to 2010 Matt Cassel earlier and that is an awful comparison. Cassel had a YPA of 6.9 that year. Chiefs backs caught 94 passes that year. Smith this year had a YPA of 8.0. 49ers backs were on pace for 50 receptions this year.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 01-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You 12 guys who voted for Arizona: Babylon, bearfan, Docta, G Mobile, hawkeye123, Malaka, Monomach, Mr.Regular, ph90702, SuperPacker, UKfan, vidae

Do you guys think SF trades him within the division, or they just flatout release him, and he chooses to sign with Arizona?
What's Kolb's contract status? Are they still buried deep from that? Some Cardinals fans told me they were actually pretty decent when Kolb was in there, but horrible with his backups.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He won't carry a team but he can make a lot of teams better, the Jaguars and Chiefs included. Smith is capable of making big plays in clutch situations, he had six fourth quarter comebacks in 2011 alone, and he is rarely going to give the other team anything. There are not 20 QBs in the league better than him. There probably aren't even 15 better than him the past couple of seasons.
Brees, Peyton, Brady, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Griffin, Luck, Manning, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Flacco, Romo, Kaep, Dalton, Cutler and I can still continue.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
Dude. Look who are Quarterbacking the teams in the Super Bowl this year. Flacco and Smith were nearly here last year as well.
Roethlisberger and Eli weren't doing Pepsi commercials with Barry Larkin when they won their 1st Super Bowls.
Flacco is still developing as a qb. Eli and Roethlisberger were still developing as qbs at the time.

The difference is all 3 of those guys shown potential to become very good to elite qbs in this league, and were still developing as they led their teams to SBs.

Alex Smith is what he is. There's no further development. I've said it before, just bc this is the first year in like 10 years that an elite qb isn't in the SB doesn't make it a good idea to build your team with this blueprint in mind. If anything it illustrates the opposite point: that it's much more difficult to succeed in this model vs the other.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
That's a great point.
Flacco and Smith played MORE THAN WELL ENOUGH to get to the Super Bowl last year.
Flacco was prevented from being there because Lee Evans dropped a TD pass.
Alex Smith was kept out by 2 horrible blunders by the punt returner Kyle Williams. Had Williams torn his knee last year instead of this year, Alex would have played against NE in that Super Bowl last season.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Smith's peak, which happened this year, isn't good enough to win it all? He was leading the league in passer rating (104.1) and completion percentage (70.2%), was third in YPA at 8.0. He played two games with an injury on his throwing hand. In those two games he had one touchdown and four interceptions. In his other six games he had 12 touchdowns and one interception. That is just too coincidental for me to believe it is a coincidence.
It's clearly not. BC HIS HC BENCHED HIM IN FAVOR OF ANOTHER QB WITH HIGHER UPSIDE.

Clearly, if Smith's play was good enough to win the whole thing, no HC in their right mind would make that move. Why is this so difficult to understand? If Alex Smith could win it all, he'd be starting right now. He's not.

His coach tried replacing him in the offseason. Didn't work. Then had to fumble around and pretend he was down with Alex Smith. Then the second Kaepernick shows that he's capable of starting, he benches Smith.

Does that sound like something you do to a qb who could win it all?

Come on guys. Seriously.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's gonna come back up Eli until Eli retires because his career is so on path with Eli and he is the next Eli.

And guys, he couldnt beat out top 20 QB Shaun Hill.

Who couldn't beat out Matt Stafford. So if we use all this logic, we'll find Alex's true rankings amongst NFL QBs. Break out your math skills
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Brees, Peyton, Brady, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Griffin, Luck, Manning, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Flacco, Romo, Kaep, Dalton, Cutler and I can still continue.
That is 17, not 22 or 23, and a couple of them are highly arguble. Cutler especially. I don't know what Cutler has done to make people think he is so great. The last four years he has 82 touchdowns and 63 interceptions. Smith has 62 touchdowns and 32 interceptions, a higher completion percentage, higher passer rating, and the same YPA. Smith is 27-16 in that span and Cutler is 34-22. Smith only has 20 yards less per game, so please don't come with the Jay Cutler has to do more for his team argument.