Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith top 15 QB! Top 3 passer rating! Peak of his career! ---> Gets Benched!

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
The 49ers weren't running the ball super effectively, either, and that was my point.

I don't deny that Eli was getting destroyed. The 49ers were all over him on a lot of his dropbacks and he took a lot of big hits. But Smith was under just as much pressure.
Eli wasn't getting hit at a high rate. He threw the ball about 60 times. I remember being pissed the refs weren't calling holding when the 49ers weren't getting to Eli fast enough.

And Crabtree last year was playing out of position. This year he is in the slot and doing what he should of always been doing. Underneath and move the chains WR. He had to be pushed to the #1 WR roll he just isn't a down-field type WR.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
*bites lip*
I'm not gonna give in to the troll!
You're the troll, not me.
This thread, in case you can't read titles, was asking WHERE HE WOULD GO.

You're the one, not me, who came in here to rip Smith.

But what shows you as a fool is saying 2 specific things, pretty idiotic things:

#1- Smith was "incapable of winning it all". That's one of the stupidest things you've ever said, and I know you've said a lot of dumb things. Surely you said the same thing about Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Tom Brady when he replaced the injured Bledsoe.

#2- Saying Smith was obviously worse because Crabtree's numbers went way up once Kaepernick was the guy. Vernon Davis' went down just as dramatically. You can't have one & not the other if that's your criteria.
Your statement there, sadly, reminds me of a Skip Bayless tactic of debating. I hate to hit below the belt like that, but you deserve it. And you know it. That's why you bit your fat lip.
Skip Bayless. That's you for now on.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ok guys, arguing this is leading nowhere bc both sides feel strongly about their opinions and nothing said will change that.

So why not just wait until next year plays out, and we'll see how Alex Smith does with his new team? And if the Smith supporters are right, bump this thread.

If he sucks, then admit he sucks. Simple solution right?
I actually think the majority of posters here are saying the same thing. Smith is a middle of the road, average NFL QB. Probably 15 better, 15 worse.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I actually think the majority of posters here are saying the same thing. Smith is a middle of the road, average NFL QB. Probably 15 better, 15 worse.
Name me 15 quarterbacks worse than Alex Smith.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
You're the troll, not me.
This thread, in case you can't read titles, was asking WHERE HE WOULD GO.

You're the one, not me, who came in here to rip Smith.

But what shows you as a fool is saying 2 specific things, pretty idiotic things:

#1- Smith was "incapable of winning it all". That's one of the stupidest things you've ever said, and I know you've said a lot of dumb things. Surely you said the same thing about Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Tom Brady when he replaced the injured Bledsoe.

#2- Saying Smith was obviously worse because Crabtree's numbers went way up once Kaepernick was the guy. Vernon Davis' went down just as dramatically. You can't have one & not the other if that's your criteria.
Your statement there, sadly, reminds me of a Skip Bayless tactic of debating. I hate to hit below the belt like that, but you deserve it. And you know it. That's why you bit your fat lip.
Skip Bayless. That's you for now on.
Not was. Is. Is incapable of winning it all.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Even I wouldn't rate him much higher than that. I put him around 12, maybe sneaking into the top 10 if I can completely separate current level and potential level and rank QBs only on how good they currently are.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Name me 15 quarterbacks worse than Alex Smith.
Tannehill
Sanchez
Fitzpatrick
Henne
Locker
Weeden
Cassel
Palmer
Rivers
Foles
Ponder
Kolb
Bradford

That is 13 who are definitely worse. I could make arguments for Smith being above Dalton, Freeman, Cutler, and a couple more as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Tannehill
Sanchez
Fitzpatrick
Henne
Locker
Weeden
Cassel
Palmer
Rivers
Foles
Ponder
Kolb
Bradford

That is 13 who are definitely worse. I could make arguments for Smith being above Dalton, Freeman, Cutler, and a couple more as well.
I'd say he's better than Dalton and Freeman, making 15.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can come to Philly....I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not was. Is. Is incapable of winning it all.
Oh now besides you being the most brilliant, educated, intelligent man in the world, you're also psychic?

You should not only be an NFL GM, you also should run the gaming commission in Las Vegas.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This whole situation is confusing to me. Has he really changed his perception to people and teams through the first 8 games this season? The same Alex Smith who was just in free agency last year, couldn't muster up a visit, forced a visit to Miami who wasn't interested in him, and was floating around without a deal until the Niners couldn't get Peyton?

Where was his interest last year? Why is it that all those QB needy teams didn't even show the slightest bit of interest? Since when does a good QB get to UFA, only get 1 visit and no offers? The Niners were the perfect fit for him. They have by far the best offensive line in the league and I personally don't think it's close when you look at some of the pockets they give their QB's to throw to, they are(well, were) a running team who passed when they needed to, and relied on defense to win games.

They have a structure in place that most QB's would succeed in. Everything is picture perfect so it's not a surprise that he looked good. So he got to start an addition 7 games or so and now he's highly sought out? What changed here and what am I missing?

If he doesn't choose his next team wisely it's going to end in a disaster and he'll be the same sorry Alex Smith he's been for his whole career that nobody was interested in last off-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
They have a structure in place that most QB's would succeed in. Everything is picture perfect so it's not a surprise that he looked good. So he got to start an addition 7 games or so and now he's highly sought out? What changed here and what am I missing?

If he doesn't choose his next team wisely it's going to end in a disaster and he'll be the same sorry Alex Smith he's been for his whole career that nobody was interested in last off-season.
^ Can't argue with any of that. ^

I think what most casual fans fail to realize is that this guy had a different offensive coordinator/system to learn almost every year he was there until Harbaugh got there.
Systems aren't easy to learn, especially with poor WR corps.

Also, the guy had some bad injury luck.....

But if you watched Smith this season, you have to admit he looked a lot better than ever before. Wasn't he like 24/26 in his last game+? That's rare air.

Remember, his WR"s last year were atrocious. They drafted a WR with their 1st pick IIRC and they brought in a #2 & #3 WR in Manningham & Moss. That speaks volumes.

There will be plenty of interest in Smith's services.

Appearing on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning, Adam Schefter suggested the Jets trade Darrelle Revis for Alex Smith and a second-round pick.

Schefter was just spitballing with Mike and Mike, not reporting. The Jets desperately need quarterback help, Alex Smith is on the block and everyone would be interested in a healthy Revis. The ultra-deep Niners are even in a position to take a one-year flier on Revis, who is due just $6 million in 2013 -- the final year of his contract.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 01-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith has progressed well in the past couple years under Harbaugh...

Am I really the only one who thinks he would be a good fit in Cleveland?

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Smith has progressed well in the past couple years under Harbaugh...

Am I really the only one who thinks he would be a good fit in Cleveland?
I am a huge fan of Chud and think he'd be a nice guy to work with Alex Smith. But Weeden isn't terrible, so in that case I don't see the point. Both are roughly the same age, I wouldn't want a bunch of retread guys on my roster, I'd rather try and draft "my guy" in the draft then work with Weeden and Alex Smith. I thought Weeden placed a bunch of balls right on the money to Gordon and Little, while I wouldn't be ready to annoint him the starter without competition, I didn't think he was as bad as people made him out to be and he is still going to improve also he's 28 not 38.

Also if I'm the Jets, you have got to take into consideration who you are giving Revis to. Now if you only have 1 offer on the table sure, but if you are getting genuine interest, some teams you have to cross off. New England for obvious reasons, but beyond them I'm not trading Revis to anybody I think will put them over the top.

They aren't doing anyone any favors if they give him to the Niners, even if it's for a year rental. I do like the Philly fit as somebody mentioned on page 1, for me I like the Cardinals the most if he can hit free agency. Motivation should be there in facing Kaep and his old team, strong defense, elite WR in Fitz who can make a play on anything close to him, they just need to work on that line this off-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Appearing on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning, Adam Schefter suggested the Jets trade Darrelle Revis for Alex Smith and a second-round pick.

Schefter was just spitballing with Mike and Mike, not reporting. The Jets desperately need quarterback help, Alex Smith is on the block and everyone would be interested in a healthy Revis. The ultra-deep Niners are even in a position to take a one-year flier on Revis, who is due just $6 million in 2013 -- the final year of his contract.
Ehhhh...seeing as Alex won't be back anyways, I wouldn't mind taking that deal. The thing that would irk me is just that we'd only get Revis on the cheap for a year. Then after that all hell breaks lose. A second round pick for Revis for one year essentially. Hmm...

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw the new Niketown pinups strolling through town today in San Francisco. Alex Smith's poster was removed a couple of months ago. Kaepernick replaced him. Thought it was kind of funny.

Before:

After:

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know how people can say Alex Smith wasn't good enough to win a Superbowl with the 49ers. He was a couple of Kyle Williams fumbles away from going to the Superbowl last season. And he played better this season, so it's not as if it's an absolutely impossible scenario to imagine. Obviously none of that means he's actually a good QB. Just a testament to how good the rest of the 49ers team is.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At the very least you can say he didn't do anything to hurt them. While he may not be the best QB he certainly isn't the worst. He is decent and he can take care of the bal and don't cause a lot of turnover. But somewhere i agree with BBD that you can better have a real good to great QB or a really bad QB because in that case you either have a good chance to go to a SB or you get a high draft pick and can take the QB you think can be very good to great. With Smith you need a good supporting cast because be won't make them better than they are so when you have good pieces and just need a QB that can manage a game Alex Smith would be a much better choice than all of the QB's in this draft.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
This whole situation is confusing to me. Has he really changed his perception to people and teams through the first 8 games this season? The same Alex Smith who was just in free agency last year, couldn't muster up a visit, forced a visit to Miami who wasn't interested in him, and was floating around without a deal until the Niners couldn't get Peyton?

Where was his interest last year? Why is it that all those QB needy teams didn't even show the slightest bit of interest? Since when does a good QB get to UFA, only get 1 visit and no offers? The Niners were the perfect fit for him. They have by far the best offensive line in the league and I personally don't think it's close when you look at some of the pockets they give their QB's to throw to, they are(well, were) a running team who passed when they needed to, and relied on defense to win games.

I think a lot of people thought his highly efficient season was just one-time thing, like 2007 David Garrard or 2010 Matt Cassel. Both of them took a massive step back after those seasons.

Smith not only kept it up but he actually significantly improved. He took more shots downfield, was more accurate at every level, and just looked more comfortable back there. It showed it his numbers. He was completing over 70% of his passes, and it is not like they were a bunch of dumpoffs to running backs. He was top 10 in air yards per pass attempt before he got injured.

I know that you are a big fan of Kaepernick so I am curious if you think his success is because of the 49ers being so good as well. It seems to me that you would have to.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 01-29-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Don't know how people can say Alex Smith wasn't good enough to win a Superbowl with the 49ers. He was a couple of Kyle Williams fumbles away from going to the Superbowl last season. And he played better this season, so it's not as if it's an absolutely impossible scenario to imagine. Obviously none of that means he's actually a good QB. Just a testament to how good the rest of the 49ers team is.
I guess you could make that same argument about Kaepernick.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that if Smith had been the QB for the whole season the Niners would still be playing this weekend. Haven't seen a game where I thought the QB change was the difference in the outcome.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am a huge fan of Chud and think he'd be a nice guy to work with Alex Smith. But Weeden isn't terrible, so in that case I don't see the point. Both are roughly the same age, I wouldn't want a bunch of retread guys on my roster, I'd rather try and draft "my guy" in the draft then work with Weeden and Alex Smith. I thought Weeden placed a bunch of balls right on the money to Gordon and Little, while I wouldn't be ready to annoint him the starter without competition, I didn't think he was as bad as people made him out to be and he is still going to improve also he's 28 not 38.
I was a supporter of Weeden until about week 8. He was flat out dreadful the second half off the season. Had probably 10-15 balls that for reasons god only knows weren't picked off, I'm talking passes that hit defenders square in both hands. He also never seemed to see open receivers for whatever reason and his accuracy wasn't as good as people said it was going into the year.

I hope he progresses, and I like him, but I thought he was pretty awful last year.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:

I'm pretty comfortable saying that if Smith had been the QB for the whole season the Niners would still be playing this weekend. Haven't seen a game where I thought the QB change was the difference in the outcome.
I'd say the two games against the Falcons and Packers...well, I don't know if Alex dominates like that. Actually I'm quite sure he doesn't. Our defense was a lot more dominant last season and lately it's been floundering. Especially the defensive line.

Also, I don't see Smith going into Foxboro and throwing four touchdown passes, something he's never done in his career and Kaepernick did in his fifth or so start.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I know I will get killed for saying this but I think the same thing. I think that maybe the 49ers would have lost to the Patriots with Smith at QB but they definitely would not have lost to the Rams. I don't see either playoff game turning out differently with Smith at QB. The 49ers might not have dominated the Packers but I am confident it saying they would have won.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Bc he wasn't. The whole excuse about fumbles is lame as hell. That game went to overtime and both teams had plenty of possessions to score to win. Alex Smith did not make a single play in the 4th quarter or at the end of that game to win the game.

If he was capable of winning, he would have. He had plenty of chances to and didn't do a damn thing.

Greg Cossell broke down that game shortly afterwards and KILLED Alex Smith. He left a TON of plays on the field. Most of us would say that he didn't do enough to win that game but also not enough to lose it either. If you ask Cosell, he was implying that Smith's play was so bad that he cost them the game.

Smith has every excuse in the book. It's a joke. If it looks and smells like a duck it's a duck.