Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not high on many of the WR in this class, but where we are picking, it definitely makes sense to try to hit a homer on someone like Patterson, Allen, or Williams. I definitely like Williams the least out of those guys though.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what are you guys' thoughts on perhaps picking Logan Ryan in the 2nd? I just feel he's a perfect Antoine Winfield clone/replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd dig that. Corner is a huge need for us.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ok, gnarly. because i like you guys and LOVE logan. I feel he'd be a great fit for you. He's not a playmaker, but in 3 years, I've seen him miss maybe 1 tackle and will be a consistent guy for you for years. i think it's a great fit, honestly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
RedMeat
Rookie

RedMeat hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As it stands today, Pre-Percy deal and combine, WR Cordarrelle Patterson might have value and fill need at 23. I am leaning towards an OLB at 52. Someone who can cover a TE. Greenway is solid as a rock, but few big highlight plays. Would be great to acquire a fast, big play OLB who can blitz, and cover. Rutgers Khaseem Greene might have value there and be that guy.
At 83, I'm not sure yet, but Charlie Johnson and Brandon Fusco are major weak links. Only All-Day could get the yards behind those clowns. Every game I see, I just don't understand the Vikings man-love with Fusco. Big DT's throw him around like a rag-doll. The Badgers near 340 pound Travis Frederick is a man-beast who is agile enough to also play center.
RedMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
jimmylishis
Rookie

jimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Does anyone else think we should go for another safety? Jamarca Sanford just isn't cutting it and after seeing the impact smith had on our d last year it might be worth a high round pick

sig by BoneKrusher
jimmylishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylishis View Post
Does anyone else think we should go for another safety? Jamarca Sanford just isn't cutting it and after seeing the impact smith had on our d last year it might be worth a high round pick
Yeah if we picked up say David Amerson with our 2nd pick, I wouldnt hate that at all. He reminds me a bit of Robert Griffin. That is of course we get a WR with our first pick.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we already came out saying Mistral Raymond will start next year, which I'm also not all enthused about it. I would really like for us to address our linebackers in the 2nd round actually. I doubt Minter will fall to us, but it seems likely that we could scoop up Arthur Brown or Khaseem Greene.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was mentioned briefly before, but I have this sneaky feeling that we end up with Manti Te'o. Say if Patterson and Allen are gone by the time we pick at 23, which is totally possible. Do they go for Hunter or Hopkins?(or maybe even Branch who I love). If Erin and Jasper do not resign that leaves us with a big hole at LB.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
It was mentioned briefly before, but I have this sneaky feeling that we end up with Manti Te'o. Say if Patterson and Allen are gone by the time we pick at 23, which is totally possible. Do they go for Hunter or Hopkins?(or maybe even Branch who I love). If Erin and Jasper do not resign that leaves us with a big hole at LB.
Yeah I would be alright with that if Hunter dropped to us in the 2nd, but that's a bit of a risk to be taking. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought both of them back; I just don't love the idea of starting Brinkley again in the middle. Hopefully we can make a move or two in free agency for a veteran receiver and address the secondary a bit.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
RollingMoss
Rookie

RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

MY DREAM DRAFT!11 (while trying to be somewhat reasonable and not going too in-depth because I'm lazy):

1) I do not want a receiver in the first round not named Cordarralle Patterson. I like Keenan Allen, but I think there's going to be other players/positions/talent available that will help us more than a receiver (and even though receiver is our biggest need, we can get one later). I've noticed Jonathan Cooper dropping in mocks (doubt that ends up happening in reality), but he would be a wet dream (trading up for Chance Warmack would be a wet orgy). Jesse Williams should be there and I'd be very, very happy with that pick. If Ogletree falls, sign me up for that as well. Maybe Vaccaro doesn't rise as much as others think. There's going to be other players available at positions where we have holes. My main point: Don't waste a first-rounder on a receiver when we've seen too many Yatil Greens flame-out while Anquan Boldins thrive.

Or for god's sakes, T'eo. I pity the fanbase that has to defend that pick.

2) Waste it on a receiver, if and only if their last name is Hunter, Woods, or Hopkins. If they're all gone, go secondary: Amerson (gonna be a steal if moved to free safety), Banks, Elam, Reid (in that order). If they're all gone, take the opposite side of the line that we went in first round (if oline in first round, dline now; dline first round, oline now.)

3) Gotta take a receiver now if we haven't yet: Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, or Kenny Stills. If we took a receiver in the second (or god forbid the first), and we already got a lineman (either side), take a linebacker like Khaseem Greene or Arthur Brown.

4a) Honey Badger. Do it. Tell him to watch Antoine, put him in the slot and at returner, and let him be Honey Badger....and if he goes Honey Badger off the field, whatever. Risk/Reward.

4b and beyond) Fill the holes. We gotta come out of this thing with an olineman (or two), a dlineman (or two), a linebacker (or two), a secondary player (or two), and a receiver (or two).

This draft is really deep though and Spielman definitely went up in my eyes after last season's home-run of a draft. Hope he goes back-to-back.

And doesn't pick a receiver in the first round.
RollingMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patterson more than likely will be gone by the time we choose at 23. The WR depth in this draft is pretty deep so I wouldn't be shocked at all if we waited till the 2nd round and grabbed the best player available in the 1st.

As for the Honey Badger... That wont happen. Vikings have been pretty much against players with off the field issues. Even though we need Play makers in the secondary, it wont be Him.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dynasty View Post
Patterson more than likely will be gone by the time we choose at 23. The WR depth in this draft is pretty deep so I wouldn't be shocked at all if we waited till the 2nd round and grabbed the best player available in the 1st.

As for the Honey Badger... That wont happen. Vikings have been pretty much against players with off the field issues. Even though we need Play makers in the secondary, it wont be Him.
The Vikings did give Simpson a chance this year after his marijuana related off field problems. Not saying his situation is the same as Mathieu's but the precedent is there. I am not sure they would be able to look past Mathieu's repeated offences, but who knows.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
The Vikings did give Simpson a chance this year after his marijuana related off field problems. Not saying his situation is the same as Mathieu's but the precedent is there. I am not sure they would be able to look past Mathieu's repeated offences, but who knows.
Yeah but the Simpson signing was low risk, low reward type thing. You invest in players you draft.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah but the Simpson signing was low risk, low reward type thing. You invest in players you draft.
Ya that's kind of what I was referring to when I said I wasn't really comparing their situations, more pointing out that flatly saying they won't give guys with off field problems a chance isn't 100% true.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

Who do you guys want to see us taking in round 1? I'm going to make a wish list and feel free to do the same because I want to see how you guys are feeling going up to the draft.

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee.
I don't really see him dropping to us at #23, but if he starts to slip at all I would have no qualms with trading up a few spots to snag him. He provides a rare blend of speed, size, and athleticism that would be an extremely dynamic match with Percy or even replace him if need be (god I hope not).

2. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
Another player who I think we'd be lucky to grab if he fell to us. Guy has all of the measurables and the production to back it up. Does not bother me that he is undersized and I'm much bigger on him than I am for the other options such as Teo and Minter. I'm outspokenly not a fan of Brinkley and don't want to waste the money in bringing him back.

3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
I really like Keenan Allen, think he's smooth, extremely fluid, and seems to be the most NFL-ready receiver along with Deandre Hopkins, which is huge for us right now. The only reasons I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on him in round 1 is because of A) Injury concerns, although that can be alleviated a decent amount when we see how he performs on his pro day. and B) The depth there is at receiver in the draft this year. Even though it's a position of such dire need, there are a handful of guys we can pick up in round 2.

4. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
I would love to get our hands on Sheldon Richardson but I just don't see him making it anywhere near us. With Williams getting older and declining at a decent pace and no other options that are far too enticing at the position, we definitely need to address this early. I feel like he's a little underrated at the moment, and with how many quality DT's available this year, I can see him falling to us. Big, athletic, and very active. My type of player.

Added Thoughts: Positions I would like to see us address are WR, ILB, DT, CB, OLB, G in round 1 in that order. The reason I didn't put a CB up there is because the only guy I see worth taking in our place is Xavier Rhodes, but I don't like the way he would fit our scheme. I think Jarvis Jones is too much of a flight risk for round 1 although I love him as a player. Other guys I love as players but wouldn't take are Vaccaro and Cyprien because I don't want us to address safety in the 1st round two years in a row, despite it being a position of need. That leads me to where I believe our positions of need are. I would put it right now at: WR, DT, ILB, CB, S, OLB, G. That obviously is subject to change depending on how the re-signing of Loadholt, Henderson, Felton, etc. goes. I would like to see us make a decent splash at one position of need though in free agency though, although I'm not sure how likely that is.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

So theres a chance that if the Vikes stand pat with there first round picks it could look something like Manti Teo and Keenan Allen?

I dont think that would be so terrible...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like Te'o that much, but we do love Domers. I would kill for Allen or Hopkins though.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
I don't like Te'o that much, but we do love Domers. I would kill for Allen or Hopkins though.
Agreed. And if Ogletree happened to fall that would be so money. Also hearing that the mid-round pick for next year will be a 3rd rounder so that's some more good news.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
BlueBandit24
Rookie

BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.

I think this draft is set up well for the Vikings. I'm all about value and avoiding the temptation to force a pick due to need, and it just so happens that the value at 23 and 25 appears to match up with our needs. I'm excited to see how things play out. Regardless of whether or not Jennings becomes a Viking, I would like to see one of those first round picks spent on a receiver, with Allen and Hopkins being my personal favorites. With four picks in the top one hundred, I am confident the talent level will continue to grow with productive, high character guys being added to the roster. I was not high on Spielman when he was hired and he has completely changed my view of him. I trust him as the lead man in roster decisions.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBandit24 View Post
I was not high on Spielman when he was hired and he has completely changed my view of him. I trust him as the lead man in roster decisions.
I was in the same boat as you man. I hated the hiring of him but after the drafts he has conducted, In Rick We Trust. He has hit in the 1st round and also in the later rounds especially the 4th round. Also he has always gone BPA too.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

I wonder if with the Jennings signing that alters the Vikes plans of which WR they take in the first round. I still feel like they'll take one with one of there first round picks.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
BlueBandit24
Rookie

BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I wonder if with the Jennings signing that alters the Vikes plans of which WR they take in the first round. I still feel like they'll take one with one of there first round picks.
With Jennings excelling in the intermediate game, they might look at a guy who can stretch the field, perhaps a Justin Hunter or Markus Wheaton. The good news is that you might not need to spend a 1st to find a guy with a complimentary skill-set, though I am hoping the team does give it a lot of thought if the right guys are there at 23 or 25. I'd be happy if we ended up with a guy like Wheaton in the 2nd and got some good value on defense in the 1st.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Schefter saying Tavon won't be on the board at 23. I hope this is true. I don't want the Vikings to get any ideas about taking him with either pick.

Last edited by Taber21 : 03-17-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Im just not crazy about Patterson at all. He reminds me a lot of Troy Williamson.