Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
If most teams were as consistent and had 3 Super Bowls like the Patriots, owners would let coaches wear a dress on the sideline. However first time hires don't have that pull.

I brought up Horton's hair over a week ago when we were discussing the Rooney Rule. No team will hire him looking like a 14 year girl who just had her hair braided on a trip to the Caribbean. It's the same way no one would hire the Ryans (except the idiot Jets) because they are fat slobs.
I'm aware of that. I think it's stupid though. Winning games brings fans in the seats, and makes money for the organization. They shouldn't care what the coach looks like. Worry about how he coaches. That's what makes or loses you money. Not his haircut.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If most teams were as consistent and had 3 Super Bowls like the Patriots, owners would let coaches wear a dress on the sideline. However first time hires don't have that pull.

I brought up Horton's hair over a week ago when we were discussing the Rooney Rule. No team will hire him looking like a 14 year girl who just had her hair braided on a trip to the Caribbean. It's the same way no one would hire the Ryans (except the idiot Jets) because they are fat slobs.
Even then, the idiot Jets hired the fat slob who had a haircut.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was about official apparel. If Nike were to make suits with a big swoosh on it, I'm sure they could wear those.
Mike Nolan and Jack Del Rio once wore suits on the sidelines, but they had to have league approval and have Nike or Reebok or whoever make the suit. It had to be made by their sponsor.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm aware of that. I think it's stupid though. Winning games brings fans in the seats, and makes money for the organization. They shouldn't care what the coach looks like. Worry about how he coaches. That's what makes or loses you money. Not his haircut.
In a way I agree. But he looks like a damn fool. I laugh every time I see him. Win first and then he can grow his braids back.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
In a way I agree. But he looks like a damn fool. I laugh every time I see him. Win first and then he can grow his braids back.
He's gonna have to chop it off if he wants that chance. I'm sure he will soon. Unless he's really dumb and/or stubborn, in which case perhaps indicates that there are certain flaws/stubborness to his methods that we are unaware of that owners also take into consideration when evaluating him.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the thing with the braids. If he's that stubborn that he's not going to look like an adult, then what else is he going to be moronically stubborn about?

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
That's the thing with the braids. If he's that stubborn that he's not going to look like an adult, then what else is he going to be moronically stubborn about?
That's a logical fallacy. Just because you don't want to cut your hair in no way implies that there are other things you are stubborn about that negatively effect your coaching ability.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
If I were a college AD, I'd probably care. Coaches have to actually go out and recruit the parents just as much as the kids, while also dealing with boosters. Braids probably wouldn't help, rightly or wrongly.

But if I were a professional GM, I could care less. Yes, coaches are the face of the franchise, but as long as he's winning, it literally doesn't matter. People will still buy tickets and merchandise, and I see no player declining a contract on the basis of his coach's hair style. Belichick dresses like a complete bum routinely, yet he'd be my first choice of coach.
You could care less? Or you couldn't care less?

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
That's foolish. There is no hair code in the NFL that says NFL coaches have to have short hair. If there was, fine, what can you do? In this situation he wasn't doing anything wrong. If owners want to judge him for it then that's their own stupidity.

Personally, I don't give a crap what someone does to their hair as long as they coach well. The man can coach. Simple as that.
Of course there's no hair code, but when you are interviewing for a job you do your best to look professional before you set foot in the room. That's why you don't show up to an interview with scruff, you shave it. Not because there is a rule against facial hair, but to show them you are serious and not some slapdick who cares more about his unprofessional appearance than getting the job.

I personally don't care about appearance for a HC as long as they deliver results, but what is the negative to getting rid of his braids before interviewing for a multi-million dollar job? Get the job first, then if you really want to look like a geriatric Xzibit, grow it out after.

Team owners are white collar businessmen, Horton knows this. He even acknowledged that his hair was an "elephant in the room," and did nothing about it. That's just dumb that he didn't give himself the best chance to succeed. Foolish owners or not, Horton could have helped himself by doing something very simple, but he chose not to do so.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you really want to hire a guy so stubborn he wouldn't even entertain the idea of a hair cut? I mean...I don't know if the braids themselves are an issue or whether or not it used as a means of gauging how stubborn he is.

Zimmer can't get a HC gig to save his life right now and he is a middle aged white guy with short hair. He is just a prick to deal with sometimes.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Do you really want to hire a guy so stubborn he wouldn't even entertain the idea of a hair cut? I mean...I don't know if the braids themselves are an issue or whether or not it used as a means of gauging how stubborn he is.

Zimmer can't get a HC gig to save his life right now and he is a middle aged white guy with short hair. He is just a prick to deal with sometimes.
Is this really a thing now or are people just assuming it because he's had trouble getting the big job? I knew him really well about a million years ago and he was a pretty normal guy.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

There must be some sort of negative perception about Zimmer among league circles bc it's odd that he didn't even get considered for any of the open positions this year.

I would say he was collateral damage bc of the wave of OCs getting HC jobs, but then we just saw Jacksonville hire a DC as a coach so you figure Zim would at least get an interview.

It's unfortunate bc he's one hell of a DC.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He turns people off in his interviews. Too honest apparently.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Perhaps they're afraid of how he will handle the media bc of that. It's an understandable concern.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zimmer sounds like exactly the sort of coach i'd love.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Throw him a bunch of money to become a DC/Asst HC in GB. I think he might consider it because Cinncy is cheap so I'm sure he's not making top dollar there, plus the exposure of a team like GB will definitely improve his chances of becoming a HC.

He's a 4-3 guy though so it wouldn't fit with GB at all.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
I_C_DeadPeople
Rookie

I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Throw him a bunch of money to become a DC/Asst HC in GB. I think he might consider it because Cinncy is cheap so I'm sure he's not making top dollar there, plus the exposure of a team like GB will definitely improve his chances of becoming a HC.

Actually, when Cinci re-signed him last year (or perhaps it was 2 years ago) they made him one, if not the, top paid DC's in the league.
I_C_DeadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
Actually, when Cinci re-signed him last year (or perhaps it was 2 years ago) they made him one, if not the, top paid DC's in the league.
Mike Brown not being cheap? Interesting...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
He is free after 2014. I can't find anything about how much he gets paid.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
That's a logical fallacy. Just because you don't want to cut your hair in no way implies that there are other things you are stubborn about that negatively effect your coaching ability.
A refusal to adjust to the expected norms of your profession, especially on something is insignificant as his braids, absolutely suggests that someone might be excessively stubborn, which can be a terrible trait for a coach.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Zimmer ran the 3-4 in 2005 and 2006 with the Cowboys and his defenses finished 10th and 13th respectively.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles still don't have a DC.. Are they waiting for one of the SB teams to be done so they can interview a coach from a 34 system?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Eagles still don't have a DC.. Are they waiting for one of the SB teams to be done so they can interview a coach from a 34 system?
They have been rumored to have interest in 49ers DB coach Ed Donatell and Ravens LB's coach Ted Monachino.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
Zimmer ran the 3-4 in 2005 and 2006 with the Cowboys and his defenses finished 10th and 13th respectively.
That was more Parcells. Zimmer was along for the ride. He wasn't very comfortable running that system.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mike Brown not being cheap? Interesting...
Brown's cheapness has always been about amenities and the like more so than players/personnel

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote